Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

DemonMage posted:

Was the Awake bar going the whole time during dinner?

What is the Awake Bar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
When you go into the battery stats (the graph part, not the individual apps) there are "bars" one for WiFi, one for network signal, one for "awake, " etc.

It's a sub menu though. You have to go to the battery options then tap on the graph to access it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
In the battery usage screen tap on the graph. This will give you a larger graph with some bars underneath

If the one labelled 'awake' is solid, or has largely solid patches that don't correspond to the 'screen' bar then it shows the phone was awake

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

What is the Awake Bar?

Timeline showing when the phone was doing meaningful processing, or maybe simply being in the standard (think x86 C0) power state. I'm not terribly familiar with ARM's infrastructure.

EDIT: Note dissss's battery chart that 'Screen on' is a clean subset of 'Awake'. This may not be axiomatic (but it is necessary for simple ARM arrangements) - that is, low-power co-processors used for things like idle displays may still invoke the screen but not really tap the primary APU - but without a log relay in that co-processor the phone ends up with no way to know what happened to it in the meantime.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 6, 2015

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Yes, the phone was awake through all of dinner. The WiFi was on the whole time, too.

Is this expected?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Yes, the phone was awake through all of dinner. The WiFi was on the whole time, too.

Is this expected?

WiFi yes, awake...only if you were using it the whole time.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
It was in my pocket, locked. What could explain it being awake?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Facebook is always a popular lovely app that can do that at times. Which is generally what it is, something badly designed or on occasion just something that got into a bad state and is stuck trying to do Something. If you don't see any apps suspiciously high on the battery usage, it's difficult to nail down.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

It was in my pocket, locked. What could explain it being awake?
I have had Foursquare chew through all my battery one evening without even opening the app. It detected something nearby and went into some kind of wakelock frenzy.
Uninstalling it fixed everything.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I have neither foursquare nor Facebook installed.

Do I need to start deleting suspicious apps one at a time to test for a battery hog?

(How the hell would a power hungry app not appear in the battery view?)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Is there a way to get a heads up notification when not in immersive mode or is that simply the replacement for the scrolling? I guess now that I think about it, all notifications are heads up now.

The ones that actually pop up on the screen are heads-up notifications - just Hangouts messages so far for me

Yeah it's a replacement for the preview popping up in the status bar. I wish you could at least optionally switch it back because having a big bar pop up over a chunk of the screen can get annoying. Plus it covers the action bar, so if you're interacting with an app's menu or navigation and a message pops up all HEY HEYYYY under your finger, you're goin' to Hangouts! Hope you weren't doing anything important!

It's a decent feature to have and I don't know where else they'd make it appear, but drat it's annoying if you get a bunch of messages while you're trying to do something. A lot of the lollipop changes make you fight with the UI in some situations and that's not a good thing

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sounds like the 6P has the necessary power mangement ICs to support QC 2.0 but its disabled in software due to licencing.

Custom kernels may be able to turn it back on :eng101:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Tonight was the second night in a row where I plugged my 5X into my computer, telling me it was charging and it actually did not. When I plugged it into a wallwart at work after each night, it charged fine. Why doesn't it like my computer's current?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Combat Pretzel posted:

Tonight was the second night in a row where I plugged my 5X into my computer, telling me it was charging and it actually did not. When I plugged it into a wallwart at work after each night, it charged fine. Why doesn't it like my computer's current?

This happens to me too. I figure it has something to do with those bad cables.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

This happens to me too. I figure it has something to do with those bad cables.

It's probably overloading the USB port, yeah.

You could try switching to a USB3 port since those are guaranteed to support 900mA rather than the usual 500mA, but that's still no good if the cable is telling the phone to pull USB-Cs 3000mA maximum.

repiv fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 6, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I have neither foursquare nor Facebook installed.

Do I need to start deleting suspicious apps one at a time to test for a battery hog?

(How the hell would a power hungry app not appear in the battery view?)

Apps can use a "wakelock" to keep the CPU going while the screen is off. This is supposed to be used so that an app that is currently doing something useful doesn't get terminated the second you lock the phone. Unfortunately, badly coded apps can abuse this.

As far as I know, wakelocks are still rolled into some generic system term in the battery screen, which makes it hard to find the culprit. Any apps that by design might legitimately need to keep active while the screen is off or keep checking for new updates or information, like Skype or Facebook Messenger or other chat apps, are likely candidates.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

repiv posted:

It's probably overloading the USB port, yeah.

You could try switching to a USB3 port since those are guaranteed to support 900mA rather than the usual 500mA, but that's still no good if the cable is telling the phone to pull USB-Cs 3000mA maximum.
I have a bunch of frontpanel USB3 ports (well, they're blue) that are directly hooked to the PSU. The brand of cable is Inateck, FWIW.

I replugged it, now it charges, albeit slowly.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Had my brand new 6p on the car seat this morning and when I got out it it slid off the seat and the back camera glass cracked. First time I've ever cracked anything since the first first nexus. Feels bad.

I didn't get Google protection, but have more square trade coupons than I know what to do with.

Still, are there any other options I should consider?

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

LastInLine posted:

For those still interested, the Android Police Blackberry Priv review is up and they seemed to quite like it.

Gizmodo's review is quite negative.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Isn't Gizmodo like the Buzzfeed of the tech world?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Lblitzer posted:

Isn't Gizmodo like the Buzzfeed of the tech world?

Gizmodo is part of Gawker, so yeah.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'd say the Anandtech review would be the best one to look out for.

Though, a friend of mine is SUPER sure Blackberry will be fine because businesses will love the brand name and the bootloader and kernel.

Serious question, would businesses be able to keep this thing from tanking or would consumers have to step in as well?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

repiv posted:

Sounds like the 6P has the necessary power mangement ICs to support QC 2.0 but its disabled in software due to licencing.

Custom kernels may be able to turn it back on :eng101:
unless this interferes with PD2.0, seems like they should have just paid the extra penny per unit or whatever the license costs and enabled it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Though, a friend of mine is SUPER sure Blackberry will be fine because businesses will love the brand name and the bootloader and kernel.

Serious question, would businesses be able to keep this thing from tanking or would consumers have to step in as well?
Well BlackBerry was doing something like 3.2 million a year in sales off of their BB OS 10 garbage and their CEO said they would need to get up to 5 million a year to keep going as a hardware maker. So I guess the question is can their Priv business sales add up to $2 million worth or so. Probably maybe? Personally I'm expecting them to back off that price point after soaking some BlackBerry fanbois and other early adopters.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ThermoPhysical posted:

No because corporations don't buy company phones anymore. Everyone is moving towards BYOD with some sort of MDM.

The era of the company phone is over, they missed their window.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rastor posted:

Well BlackBerry was doing something like 3.2 million a year in sales off of their BB OS 10 garbage and their CEO said they would need to get up to 5 million a year to keep going as a hardware maker. So I guess the question is can their Priv business sales add up to $2 million worth or so. Probably maybe? Personally I'm expecting them to back off that price point after soaking some BlackBerry fanbois and other early adopters.

He's also defending Marshmallow not being on the phone calling it nothing more than a beta OS that was feature complete a month before launch, so BB did better using Lollipop and not Marshmallow because "in the 5 months Google gave, they did nothing but change features from beta to beta instead of adding and strengthening them".

While I can understand Marshmallow being new, calling it a "beta OS" isn't exactly true. But, is it true that the OS wasn't finished until a month from release?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Google set their security team loose on Samsung's SGS6 code and they discovered 11 vulnerabilities in a week, including elevation of privilege and code execution :lol:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3000935/security/google-researchers-poke-holes-in-galaxy-s6-edge-show-oems-add-risky-code.html

Not that stock Android is perfect but this might make you reconsider a non-nexus device.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Syrinxx posted:

Google set their security team loose on Samsung's SGS6 code and they discovered 11 vulnerabilities in a week, including elevation of privilege and code execution :lol:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3000935/security/google-researchers-poke-holes-in-galaxy-s6-edge-show-oems-add-risky-code.html

Not that stock Android is perfect but this might make you reconsider a non-nexus device.

The thing with those vulnerabilities, is that they were vulnerabilities in code that Samsung added. So, while stock Android does have security vulnerabilities, Samsung is adding extra vulnerabilities on top of that.

Of course, all software has vulnerabilities, and it's obvious to anyone who does development and is security conscious that by adding more software, they're adding a larger surface area for exploits.

Thus, this isn't surprising and the main reason I'm always hesitant to get a non-nexus. It's also why I just wouldn't get a phone from a smaller manufacturer...they just won't spend the considerable amount of developer man-hours, nor invest in the right type of developers, to limit exploit surface area.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Two problems I see.

When Blackberry was a high flyer, it was pretty common that it was your company-issue device. But while Blackberry was goofing off in the years 2008 through 2015, the concept of the "company-issue smartphone" has basically been replaced by BYOD. 68% of adults carry a smartphone, which means 68% of your employees don't want to carry a second smartphone; they want to carry the iPhone or Android device they already have. And companies don't want to have to deal with the distraction of owning and janitoring their own fleet of devices when they can foist that work on their employees.

Also, despite their marketing, the Priv doesn't really offer a whole lot of differentiating features over any other Android phone you could buy today (notwithstanding the keyboard). Android's had full-disk encryption for quite some time. Samsung has had their own implementation of a trusted bootloader that verifies the OS is clean. Android 6 adds verified boot as a feature and if I recall, it's in the CDD that vendors must implement it. Every "security" box that this phone checks is basically table stakes for a new Android device going to market.

If I were a company buying a ton of phones for a department (which no company will ever do anymore in tyool 2015), when I comparison shop I'd realize that I can get the same "trusty" features for less money from someone else. If I were a consumer and I wanted an Android device, I'd also buy something cheaper and know that my company's MDM would support it anyway.

Blackberry's endgame is that they will shed their hardware division, rebrand Good as Blackberry, and focus on MDMs.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Only if you're a nexus zealot.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

vyst posted:

Only if you're a nexus zealot.

This is completely ridiculous.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

This is completely ridiculous.

The new nexus devices are great but if you're going to let a security report twist your decision then you were probably already tech savvy enough to want a nexus device to begin with. It's like saying they found 6 vulnerabilities in Windows, well time to switch to OSX. It's just kind of a weak cheap shot reason.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

vyst posted:

The new nexus devices are great but if you're going to let a security report twist your decision then you were probably already tech savvy enough to want a nexus device to begin with. It's like saying they found 6 vulnerabilities in Windows, well time to switch to OSX. It's just kind of a weak cheap shot reason.

It's ridiculous to call people who are security conscious a "nexus zealot". For those people it gets the arrow of causation the wrong way. "Security zealot" is more accurate, but still not quite right.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 20, 2018

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Can you guys assure me that I've just been experiencing a string of bad phones instead of a new norm in Android devices? For starters, my last three daily-use Android phones have been a 2013 Moto X, an Xperia Z3C, and currently a OnePlus One.

I experienced zero touchscreen-related issues with the Moto X - swipes and taps were accurate, and I used Minuum (a pretty swipe-heavy keyboard app) on a daily basis. I had absolutely zero issues typing things out quickly and accurately, and swiping in various apps produced no aberrant behavior.

When I switched to the Xperia, I had to re-evaluate keyboards because, for some reason, the screen on the Xperia was gorgeous but was too sensitive. A short swipe directly on or too close to the screen (as when repositioning your fingers) resulted in Minuum (and Fleksy, and Swype) registering an actual swipe. This was even after jacking up the the length you had to swipe to register as a swipe. After some internet sleuthing it appeared this was ultimately related to some additional hardware on/in the screen that allowed the screen to function when its capacitive ability was turned off (so you could still take pictures underwater or use the phone with gloves on).

And then there's the OnePlus One. It's notorious for having a lovely touchscreen, most likely related to the firmware. Several OTAs later and nothing's really improved - I still get frequent ghost-tapping when I scroll too slowly. And going back to keyboard apps, most swipe-related apps are out of the question so I've settled on SwiftKey. It's not my first choice but it has solid tap-touch functionality that can't be hosed up by a touchscreen that loves to freak out when you swipe on it. I've made do but I really miss Minuum. :sigh:

Anyway I plan on getting a new phone to replace the OPO. I was waiting for the Priv reviews but they just came out last night and...well...now I'm preparing to pick up a 6P. I just want to know that the 6P will finally free me of quirky touchscreens that prevent me from using my favorite keyboard apps. :pray:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

When Blackberry was a high flyer, it was pretty common that it was your company-issue device. But while Blackberry was goofing off in the years 2008 through 2015, the concept of the "company-issue smartphone" has basically been replaced by BYOD. 68% of adults carry a smartphone, which means 68% of your employees don't want to carry a second smartphone; they want to carry the iPhone or Android device they already have. And companies don't want to have to deal with the distraction of owning and janitoring their own fleet of devices when they can foist that work on their employees.

I know people who got paid very well to be Blackberry Admins, ie - sit on their fat rear end and be very smug about "look at this scroll wheel, revolutionized the whole drat industry," and occasionally enter support requests to Rim when the server acted up.

Even when Blackberrys were good, they were poo poo. I mean thank god for iPhones blowing up the smartphone market because otherwise we would still be using these Tiger Electronics handheld email boxes. And I no longer have to hear "What's your BBM pin, bro?" Dude, send a loving text. Like this is goddamned ICQ in 1997.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Karthe posted:

Can you guys assure me that I've just been experiencing a bad phone

OnePlus One.

Yes

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

ThermoPhysical posted:

He's also defending Marshmallow not being on the phone calling it nothing more than a beta OS that was feature complete a month before launch, so BB did better using Lollipop and not Marshmallow because "in the 5 months Google gave, they did nothing but change features from beta to beta instead of adding and strengthening them".

While I can understand Marshmallow being new, calling it a "beta OS" isn't exactly true. But, is it true that the OS wasn't finished until a month from release?

It's almost a given that marshmallow wasn't completed until a month before release, hell probably days before release. Blackberry CEO is living in the olden days where software had to be completed months ahead of time because there was no opportunity for OTA or updates. Nowadays it's common that you have an OS update right when you take the new phone out of the box. So, "beta OS"? Yeah, whatever.

That said, marshmallow has been the best Android OS I've used yet. Doze really works, my battery life is significantly improved.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

vyst posted:

It could be argued that mobile device security for most people is more critical than desktop security with all of the poo poo people keep on their phones now, or people that don't even use desktops to access the internet but have smartphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

At this point, I'm going to confidently say that Marshmallow had a year long beta and its name was Lollipop.

While Lollipop did some nice things with modernizing the UI, I think the long term outlook on it is going to place it second only to Honeycomb in regards to Google loving up a dessert.