Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Icon Of Sin posted:

The bench seats got replaced in ours with some kind of seat that I think was from a Blackhawk? It was designed so that the seat would take some of the blast from an IED going off under the truck. Of course you had to be strapped in for it to work properly, and the new seats cut off some of the already-precious space running down the middle of the vehicle, so it was that much harder to pile out of the Stryker on a normal training day in AK (let alone in the desert when you need to be out of the drat thing quick).

Yeah I remember them doing this to our Strykers after our deployment. It was loving awful, but I suppose they made you safer in a roll over. The benches were great for storing poo poo though and you could really stretch out if the belly was empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Glad to hear you guys liked them, for our scout missions at STX we use HMMWVs and they're cramped as gently caress. How many infantryman are usually in a stryker? For a scout platoon its supposed to be 6 scouts per stryker, with 6 strykers per platoon. Apparently recently scout platoons were 4 vehicles and 24 soldiers and got beefed up to 6 vehicles and 36 soldiers. Recon Platoon FM still has the 4 vehicle platoons.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

Glad to hear you guys liked them, for our scout missions at STX we use HMMWVs and they're cramped as gently caress. How many infantryman are usually in a stryker? For a scout platoon its supposed to be 6 scouts per stryker, with 6 strykers per platoon. Apparently recently scout platoons were 4 vehicles and 24 soldiers and got beefed up to 6 vehicles and 36 soldiers. Recon Platoon FM still has the 4 vehicle platoons.

For a stryker unit its a driver, gunner, plus a whole squad. So 11 total per vehicle (except weapons squad, with driver, gunner, and 7 others), with 4 vehicles per line platoon. ~40 soldiers, then you've got the LT, PSG, RTO, and medic floating around somewhere too.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Pesticide20 posted:

Clearing from my unit right now, one stop to make at transportation and arrange shipping of my HHG back to Washington, and then I'm done until my DD214 and finance brief on Monday. Suck my dick from the balls, army

Thanks for yer servace.

So there was a shooting out at Tillicum and the base is going crazy, to anyone here that didn't get the memo yet.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
tillicum is in keeping with the tradition of having trashy and ghetto as gently caress areas immediately outside every US Army base, hooah

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mike-o posted:

tillicum is in keeping with the tradition of having trashy and ghetto as gently caress areas immediately outside every US Army base, hooah

Yeah. I'll never forget my initial brief at Knox warning of KKK cells in Radcliff.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Tillicompton

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Naked Bear posted:

Tillicompton

No lie I thought Tillicum was a goddamn joke name till I moved here. "No one in their right mind would name a city Till I Cum" right?

Also, within the first week there was a goddamn bank robbery crime scene that we drove past in Lakewood. This place is sketchy as gently caress.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Tillicum you say?

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Icon Of Sin posted:

For a stryker unit its a driver, gunner, plus a whole squad. So 11 total per vehicle (except weapons squad, with driver, gunner, and 7 others), with 4 vehicles per line platoon. ~40 soldiers, then you've got the LT, PSG, RTO, and medic floating around somewhere too.

This is only really true on paper. I don't think our squads were ever at 11 people. We had probably 9 people max in a Stryker at any given time, including the driver and gunner. The LT and PSG would make 10 in another truck I guess but the RTO was just some dink they strapped a radio to not necessarily and extra man.

For example, our platoon's RTO was a thai dude who was barely tall enough to avoid being qualified as a midget. He was a SAW gunner and the RTO because the PSG thought it looked funny.

Obstacle2 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 5, 2015

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea we only had 2 squads which weren't even full, plus a weapons squad that was like 5 people in my platoon. This was just after reset from the last deployment, so I assumed they were going to at least fill out the platoon to be mostly-full before deployment. I moved out of that brigade (then back in about a year later) so I never knew their actual numbers pre-deployment.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Obstacle2 posted:

For example, our platoon's RTO was a thai dude who was barely tall enough to avoid being qualified as a midget. He was a SAW gunner and the RTO because the PSG thought it looked funny.

Omg this kinda poo poo always pisses me off. It's loving juvenile. Lets have some guy who can barely move with all the stuff and its our most casualty producing weapon and radio aahhahahahahaha

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Omg this kinda poo poo always pisses me off. It's loving juvenile. Lets have some guy who can barely move with all the stuff and its our most casualty producing weapon and radio aahhahahahahaha

This is why you see so many tiny female SAW gunners - someone thinks its a joke. Great idea, give your important weapons to people that can barely manage them.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

My squad leader gave SAWs based on GT score, one for the highest and one for the lowest. That dude was literally on drugs a lot of the time and I think it showed.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
I'm the only prior infantry dude in my squad, so I got the SAW. I think it's one of the few weapon assignments that I've ever seen make sense.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
The SAW sucks. I carried that thing for two weeks and then went to the battalion scout platoon.

gently caress the SAW. Fun as poo poo to shoot, but you only do that for like 2% of the time you are carrying it, and that's a poo poo ratio.

Still better than being in the gun squad. Which I did for a while.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Every SAW I ever fired poo poo gas in my face worse than anything else I've experienced, and that's including my own suppressed rifles.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I had one do that so bad that my eyes felt like they were actually on fire and I got dragged off of it, only so someone else could get the same kind of treatment from the weapon directly after me. This was in IOBC, so lol tradoc weapons I guess. On a different occasion a bullet got turned around in the feed tray somehow, actually cycled in, then got crushed by the bolt face a few times before the gun finally misfired and I popped it open to see what was going on in there. That was a fun weapon to carry every day in the field :shepicide:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
In five years I never saw an officer lay a finger on anything but an m4 or an m9, so I am glad you got to carry and hate the SAW for a whole week.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I was the dumbass who humped a 60.

Voluntarily.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cole posted:

In five years I never saw an officer lay a finger on anything but an m4 or an m9, so I am glad you got to carry and hate the SAW for a whole week.

I fired everything every chance I could get mainly just to stay up to speed on it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Syrian Lannister posted:

Voluntarily.

I can see the appeal, for like a day maybe.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Syrian Lannister posted:

Voluntarily.

lol how loving old are you

psydude posted:

I fired everything every chance I could get mainly just to stay up to speed on it.

which is rare. most of the LTs i had didn't even want to clean their weapon much less shoot some other poo poo.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

The SAW wasn't necessarily horrible, I mean it's heavy and poo poo, don't get me wrong, I had it for 3 months.

It's carrying two loving extra belts of ammunition on your body that loving sucks, especially when you can't look cool and carry it rambo style.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

psydude posted:

Respect. Never met an officer that would do that.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Cole posted:

lol how loving old are you

Going to be 44 early next year.

:corsair:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I had a 60 for few days. I'm 28. :chord:

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
I don't remember the saw being that bad.

You get used to the weight pretty quick if you are walking with with it every day.

Having to carry it in the chow hall was probably the most annoying thing especially if I forgot to put my sling on.

Then again we also had the fancy short barrels and extendable stock. I never for the full saw effect.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Soulex posted:

Respect. Never met an officer that would do that.

I do the same except I am always range OIC so I used to never shoot.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
The SAW was heavier than an M4, sure, but that's not what made carrying it miserable.

It was miserable because of that goddamned stupid mag well. Try to sling the thing and it would just stab you. There's no comfortable way to carry the thing because of it.

So I did what any SAW guy who was also issued a sidearm did once we got to Iraq: I locked it up with the .50 cal and carried my M9 instead.

Mine had the long barrel but the collapsible stock. Because, y'know, why not. It also ate ammo. No poo poo, I found the green tip of a 5.56 round in the receiver when I was cleaning it one day.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

McNally posted:

So I did what any SAW guy who was also issued a sidearm did once we got to Iraq: I locked it up with the .50 cal and carried my M9 instead.

I want to say someone that as an infantryman, someone would have taken issue with this in my unit.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Everyone or drat near everyone in my unit got issued M9s. As long as your primary was secured at either the TOC or with QRF you could walk around with just the 9.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

psydude posted:

I actually got to qualify with it when I got to my unit. we had that few guys even in my company (my platoon was short a whole squad, the company only had 2 platoons, and my other soldiers already qualified) that I got a chance to do it. Same with our .50 cal on the strykers. I wanted to know how to do any of my soldiers' jobs at any point, figures that me and my west pointer boss absolutely didn't get along :v:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
lotta POG talk goin on in this thread

lol @ leaving your saw locked up and just walking with an m9

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Obstacle2 posted:

I want to say someone that as an infantryman, someone would have taken issue with this in my unit.

Our mission was convoy security. If we'd been doing foot patrols, I'd have dragged it out with me obviously.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

McNally posted:

Our mission was convoy security. If we'd been doing foot patrols, I'd have dragged it out with me obviously.

we had a guy leave his m4 behind one day i guess on accident. he was gunning the 50 cal and lucky for him gunners never leave the trucks on patrol. after that patrol he was like "well gently caress it if i'm gunning i'm just gonna leave my m4 from now on."

lasted about two weeks before he got busted in a hilariously over the top, smoke him for four hours fashion.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Cole posted:

we had a guy leave his m4 behind one day i guess on accident. he was gunning the 50 cal and lucky for him gunners never leave the trucks on patrol. after that patrol he was like "well gently caress it if i'm gunning i'm just gonna leave my m4 from now on."

lasted about two weeks before he got busted in a hilariously over the top, smoke him for four hours fashion.

I just put it in the back of the MRAP when we were prepping for a mission, along with some ammo. It didn't fit in the rifle rack in the turret, I didn't need the drat thing flying around up there every time we hit a bump, and there was no way on God's green earth you could accurately fire the thing from inside the turret anyway, so why bother with it? That's what the .50 cal was for.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

McNally posted:

I just put it in the back of the MRAP when we were prepping for a mission, along with some ammo. It didn't fit in the rifle rack in the turret, I didn't need the drat thing flying around up there every time we hit a bump, and there was no way on God's green earth you could accurately fire the thing from inside the turret anyway, so why bother with it? That's what the .50 cal was for.

the point is you don't leave your m4 in the tent under your woobie when you go on patrol.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

McNally posted:

Sounds like your inability to aim a rifle stems from a lack of heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Sounds like your inability to aim a rifle stems from a lack of heart.

My lack of heart is documented.

• Locked thread