Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FOP Chief: "We've got 'a surprise' waiting for Quentin Tarantino

quote:

Pasco wouldn't give details, but promised the union will "be opportunistic" with the surprise some time before the premiere of Tarantino's new film, "The Hateful Eight."

"Something is in the works, but the element of surprise is the most important element," Pasco said. "Something could happen anytime between now and [the premiere]. And a lot of it is going to be driven by Tarantino, who is nothing if not predictable."
This is beyond comedy at this point. It feels like saying "we will use the powers of the state apparatus to inflict hardship on you for expressing a dissenting opinion of us" is some kind of crime.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

ayn rand hand job posted:

Garrity.

There were 4 officers, from the last report I read. 2 of them were actual marshals. The other 2 were cops working on the side as marshals.

I understand that. But if they're working as marshals, they have to act within that capacity. Being a sheriff/policeman doesn't allow them to operate outside the boundaries of the marshal's responsibilities. They're either one or the other at the time they are carrying out official duties.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Accidentally cut off my post when I went to reply to C2C.

SCOTUS ruled that the state can't compel or coerce a police officer to self-incriminate in a police report on the grounds of it violates the 5th and 14th Amendment.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I understand that. But if they're working as marshals, they have to act within that capacity. Being a sheriff/policeman doesn't allow them to operate outside the boundaries of the marshal's responsibilities. They're either one or the other at the time they are carrying out official duties.

It complicates the chain of command.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Everblight posted:

This is beyond comedy at this point. It feels like saying "we will use the powers of the state apparatus to inflict hardship on you for expressing a dissenting opinion of us" is some kind of crime.

Just saw that, is there any legal recourse that Tarantino could take or is it something like since they didn't make a specific threat nothing can be done?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

ayn rand hand job posted:

It complicates the chain of command.

I don't disagree, but I also think it gives any investigators a clear delineation for what they could & couldn't do at the time. I wouldn't be surprised though if the waters get muddied somewhat due to this fact and it causes this thing to take a lot more time than it should.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Everblight posted:

I'm glad this guy talks like a 40s gangster movie villain.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.
It's always amusing to see that in this era where police activity is scrutinized, the response to implied criticism is to make a vague threat at a prominent director.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Everblight posted:

I'm curious what he thinks he can actually do?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Armyman25 posted:

I'm curious what he thinks he can actually do?

"Pasco said the plan isn't a threat of physical violence. It will aim to hurt Tarantino "in the only way that seems to matter to him, and that's economically," he said."

BDS?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It will be a boycott of Hateful Eight.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Kalman posted:

"Pasco said the plan isn't a threat of physical violence. It will aim to hurt Tarantino "in the only way that seems to matter to him, and that's economically," he said."

BDS?

Boycott? I suppose, but I don't see how the police could sanction anyone.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
They're gonna' beef up parking enforcement officers around theaters showing the film and have nearby speed-traps, DUI/insurance checkpoints.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They're going to film a documentary heist movie where they steal the masters sent out to cinemas. And at the end, when the credits roll it's going to say DIRECTED BY QUENTIN TARANTINO. Bam, box office success.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Phone posted:

They're going to film a documentary heist movie where they steal the masters sent out to cinemas. And at the end, when the credits roll it's going to say DIRECTED BY QUENTIN TARANTINO. Bam, box office success.

I would watch this movie, if it was actually directed by Quentin.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

buttcoinbrony posted:

I just get a bit nervous when we start calling for certain classes of people to not get rights that everyone else gets.

The police aren't a class of people, they're public servants. Police forces regularly tout their own internal processes and investigations for dealing with officer-related misconduct. So instead of any kind of due process or criminal investigations, they're supposed to be subjecting themselves to their flimsy internal processes, which these officers refuse to cooperate with. And where's the recourse after that? They haven't been arrested, they haven't been charged, and they get to just casually ignore their own internal investigations while their superiors in the department simply shrug their shoulders at reporters.

How else can you shoot a child several times to death and avoid all responsibility and inquisition except by being an American cop?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I wonder if they'll have "problems" getting the dashcam authenticated.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Chalets the Baka posted:

The police aren't a class of people, they're public servants. Police forces regularly tout their own internal processes and investigations for dealing with officer-related misconduct. So instead of any kind of due process or criminal investigations, they're supposed to be subjecting themselves to their flimsy internal processes, which these officers refuse to cooperate with. And where's the recourse after that? They haven't been arrested, they haven't been charged, and they get to just casually ignore their own internal investigations while their superiors in the department simply shrug their shoulders at reporters.

How else can you shoot a child several times to death and avoid all responsibility and inquisition except by being an American cop?

E: The bolded statement is...interesting. I'll just leave it at that.

Someone smarter than me upthread responded to this.

Wikipedia->Garrity Warning posted:

You are being asked to provide information as part of an internal and/or administrative investigation. This is a voluntary interview and you do not have to answer questions if your answers would tend to implicate you in a crime. No disciplinary action will be taken against you solely for refusing to answer questions. However, the evidentiary value of your silence may be considered in administrative proceedings as part of the facts surrounding your case. Any statement you do choose to provide may be used as evidence in criminal and/or administrative proceedings.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Chalets the Baka posted:

Occupation is a class of people, that's not even a legal term, a class is literally any group of people that have an attribute in common.

Hell its even a protected class in New York housing law.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

buttcoinbrony posted:

E: The bolded statement is...interesting. I'll just leave it at that.

Someone smarter than me upthread responded to this.

I'm just saying that for most employers if there was a workplace investigation and you refused to cooperate, in many workplaces that would instant grounds for termination. Police get a different standard because, well they always do.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Of course the police apologizers are going to default to arguing semantics. gently caress off with that.

I know what Garrity says; it's bullshit. Despite all the evidence, despite their own processes, despite everything, these cops are walking around getting to do whatever it is they do while if it were any other "class of person" they would be sitting behind bars. That's what it boils down to.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Kalman posted:

I believe this like I believe donkeys can fly.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm just saying that for most employers if there was a workplace investigation and you refused to cooperate, in many workplaces that would instant grounds for termination. Police get a different standard because, well they always do.

Most workplaces don't have the power to actually put you in jail. I'm okay with Garrity with that in mind.

Chalets the Baka posted:

Of course the police apologizers are going to default to arguing semantics. gently caress off with that.

When did I apologize for the police's actions? I've been specifically discussing everyone who said that cops shouldn't get the right to remain silent. In fact...

buttcoinbrony posted:

I hadn't thought about that and you might be right on the report specifically. Don't get me wrong, from what I've seen so far I think this shooting is a gigantic clusterfuck and that most/all of the cops involved deserve jail time or at the very least unemployment. I just get a bit nervous when we start calling for certain classes of people to not get rights that everyone else gets.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 6, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Chicago Tribune got ahold of Gliniewicz's personnel records. Frequent drunk driving, numerous reports of groping at parties, extorting sex from a female coworker in exchange for keeping her employed, assault threats to a dispatcher, I can't keep it straight. Proud 30 year veteran of the force! I would say it's like he was actively trying for Worst Cop except that term has no meaning now.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/news/ct-fox-lake-cop-personnel-records-20151106-story.html

rockopete fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 6, 2015

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Trabisnikof posted:

Employees in union jobs often have greater job protections than employees who are not in union jobs.
Are unions bad?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Garrity doesn't apply to termination as far as I know, I absolutely agree they should get fired for refusing to cooperate

Chalets the Baka posted:

I know what Garrity says; it's bullshit. Despite all the evidence, despite their own processes, despite everything, these cops are walking around getting to do whatever it is they do while if it were any other "class of person" they would be sitting behind bars. That's what it boils down to.

The existence of the 5th Amendment is not "semantics"

Also its a little premature to say these guys are getting away with anything, especially since it sounds like the local chief of police was already looking for a reason to nail the marshals.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

joat mon posted:

Employees in union jobs often have greater job protections than employees who are not in union jobs.
Are unions bad?

Is this some lame bait to attack the concept of unions? Are you that thick?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

joat mon posted:

Are unions bad?

And yet police get those protections in states without strong unions, it is almost as if it has nothing to do with the union and everything to do with the power they wield.

Jarmak posted:

Also its a little premature to say these guys are getting away with anything,

How often can someone admit to shooting an unarmed child to death and not get arrested?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

rockopete posted:

Chicago Tribune got ahold of Gliniewicz's personnel records. Frequent drunk driving, numerous reports of groping at parties, extorting sex from a female coworker in exchange for keeping her employed, assault threats to a dispatcher, I can't keep it straight. Proud 30 year veteran of the force! I would say it's like he was actively trying for Worst Cop except that term has no meaning now.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/news/ct-fox-lake-cop-personnel-records-20151106-story.html

Blue Lives Matter

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Phone posted:

Blue Lives Matter

Except for ones raped by other cops apparently.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

buttcoinbrony posted:

When did I apologize for the police's actions? I've been specifically discussing everyone who said that cops shouldn't get the right to remain silent. In fact...

If it makes you feel that much better, I wasn't targeting you. My overarching point is that, despite what the law might say otherwise, the police are treated as if they are above the law and they get certain privileges that most people don't get when they commit murder. That isn't an opinion, that is demonstrated fact with ample direct evidence. If they were in fact treated worse than your average citizen when committing the same acts there would be an argument for that, but it doesn't happen.

Jarmak posted:

Also its a little premature to say these guys are getting away with anything, especially since it sounds like the local chief of police was already looking for a reason to nail the marshals.

I'd consider the amount of leeway they've received so far to be getting away with it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Trabisnikof posted:

And yet police get those protections in states without strong unions, it is almost as if it has nothing to do with the union and everything to do with the power they wield.

Everyone should have the level of protection that police unions do, rather than eliminating the protections that police have.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Devor posted:

Everyone should have the level of protection that police unions do, rather than eliminating the protections that police have.

I don't understand the value in making it so no one has to cooperate with their employer into investigations and where they can face no repercussions for not cooperating.

This is the exact same reason LAPD officers were able to destroy police recording equipment without any punishment, because none of the officers involved snitched and no one could be punished for covering up a crime.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Radish posted:

Except for ones raped by other cops apparently.

Well maybe if she was putting her life on the line like A Real Policeman and hero to the community...

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rockopete posted:

This is, for some reason, a really common line of attack among some people. I'm not sure what prompts it, other than the vague hope that we'll be caught in some horrible gotcha moment between our slavering hatred for police and passionate love for unions. Yes, police unions make it harder for officers to be fired. That's okay! What's not okay is that those protections aren't extended to other workers as well. You don't blame defense lawyers for doing their job well, and you shouldn't blame police unions for the same.

The problem isn't unions. The problem is police.

e: And yes, I'd be (almost certainly) be fired for refusing to incriminate myself in my workplace.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

rockopete posted:

Unions are good. The Fifth Amendment is good. People who are police officers should be able to be in a union and should be able to use the Fifth Amendment.
Sometimes it is frustrating to see that people who we have decided have done bad things do things like exercise their bargained-for union rights or their inalienable constitutional rights. It's OK to feel that, but it should not follow that unions or Constitutional rights are bad.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't understand the value in making it so no one has to cooperate with their employer into investigations and where they can face no repercussions for not cooperating.

Conflating the dynamic police unions have when their officers kill someone with how unions behave in the typical workplace isn't a good idea. It isn't the concept of the union that's the issue, it's the concept of the modern American police force.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chalets the Baka posted:

Conflating the dynamic police unions have when their officers kill someone with how unions behave in the typical workplace isn't a good idea. It isn't the concept of the union that's the issue, it's the concept of the modern American police force.

Plus everyone is jumping to assuming that these officers are under union negotiated protections and not just common police courtesy.

For example, I don't think union rules have anything to do with the officers not getting arrested after admitting to killing an unarmed child.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

rockopete posted:

This is somehow simultaneously :unsmigghh: and :smith:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Trabisnikof posted:

Plus everyone is jumping to assuming that these officers are under union negotiated protections and not just common police courtesy.

For example, I don't think union rules have anything to do with the officers not getting arrested after admitting to killing an unarmed child.

What's the benefit of rushing things? I would hope that the prosecutor would at least take a few days to build a bulletproof indictment. It's not like the police officers are a flight risk, or going to kill more people under color of law while they're suspended.

I hope the police officers are punished to the maximum extent possible, but I also recognize that acting hastily is why police officers can be fired 'for cause' and then later reinstated with backpay years later. The cynical part of me says that the Chiefs responsible do it on purpose, to negate consequences for their subordinates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Thank God this loving psycho is dead. Can they exhume the body to give it a different burial without any honours?

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 6, 2015

• Locked thread