Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sylink posted:

Do we know if they improved the unarmed/melee at least to Skyrim's level? Skyrim wasn't that involved but at least it looked awesome compared to Fo3s puncha puncha pow

You have a block, an attack and a power hit. There are special finishing move animations in VATS. This including the ability to break someone's neck with a stealth attack if you do it from behind. That's about it.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Do weapons/armor still have hard stat minimums (ie, you can't even swing this weapon without Str 6), or is low stat just mean you are bad at it?

No. You can use any weapon or armor with any build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Bethesda keeps sticking their fingers into every hole they can, but nature will always find a way to leak info.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ImpAtom posted:

You have a block, an attack and a power hit. There are special finishing move animations in VATS. This including the ability to break someone's neck with a stealth attack if you do it from behind. That's about it.

Can you target body parts with melee in VATS?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

Can you target body parts with melee in VATS?

No, VATS targeting is basically unchanged except that it is now in slow motion instead of stop-time and that you can cancel/critbuff attacks.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

anatomi posted:

Could someone educate eurotrash like me on interesting Bostonians, historical or otherwise? Figure it'd be neat to model the PC after Boston's best/worst.

Go download "The Departed" and learn everything you ever wanted to know about being in Boston, and also enjoy one of the best cop movies ever.

I've probably only watched about 5-10 minutes of streaming at this point, but the one bit I did see had someone picking up a holotape in a shed. The person in the recording referred to someone was "wicked skeevy" and I knew this game was going to be fantastic.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a list of names that will be voiced? I normally just name my dude "Punchalot" or "Weedboner" but if I can use my real name of, "Hitlerstomper" then I will be happy.

Did they ever confirm that there were other VA's besides Codsworth who recorded all these PC names? Sure, it's funny the first few times the stuffy robot butler calls you Dicktits, but if everyone else just calls you Vault Dweller it will start to get old.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPyMUUfHY6Y

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

No. You can use any weapon or armor with any build.

So energy, real bullets, etc - doesn't matter stat-wise? No difference?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

New Leaf posted:

There are different defensive stats for different attack types.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

New Leaf posted:

You still have perks and stats that affect your ability to use those weapons WELL - you just aren't barred from picking up a super sledge because your Str is too low.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

^^^ Edit: That's what I was looking for, thanks

ImpAtom posted:

There are different defensive stats for different attack types.

But it isn't like FO3/NV where you had to dedicate yourself to 'Only Energy Weapons' or 'Only Standard Weapons'?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

New Leaf posted:

But it isn't like FO3/NV where you had to dedicate yourself to 'Only Energy Weapons' or 'Only Standard Weapons'?

It is not. You can use any weapon type effectively. The only thing that matters is that certain perks modify your ability to use those weapons better but your baseline is high enough that a 1STR/1END character can reliably Power Fist their way through enemies or whatever.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

JoshTheStampede posted:

You still have perks and stats that affect your ability to use those weapons WELL - you just aren't barred from picking up a super sledge because your Str is too low.

Although it wouldn't hurt to invest in strength points, melee stats or upgrade said now ROCKET POWERED SLEDGEHAMMER to be better.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

New Leaf posted:

The perks modify what mods are available for the weapons. You can use a laser rifle and an assault rifle with the same proficiency, but investing in the Gun Nut perk instead of Science! means you'll be able to customize the Assault Rifle much better than the laser one

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

New Leaf posted:

^^^ Edit: That's what I was looking for, thanks

Energy weapons don't seem to be called out separately at al anymore - the perks reference pistols, non-auto rifles, auto rifles, and big guns. So a laser pistol uses the same stat and perks as a bullet pistol, but the differences are on the defensive end.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Crabtree posted:

ROCKET POWERED SLEDGEHAMMER

King DeDeDe wanders the wasteland.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One thing to note is that there are certain weapon attributes that benefit certain builds.

Bleed, for example, is good on anything. However it is extremely good on AGI-specced characters because bleed damage ticks down during the slow-motion of VATS. So if you want to melee as a high-AGI/low-STR character you might want to find a knife with the bleed attribute (there's a quest reward that does this) since that will allow you to apply absurd amounts of bleed damage instead.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Since this is Skyrim With Guns can you still dual wield and can you dual wield a pistol and hatchet more importantly.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The thing that has me the most excited about Fallout 4 is that there is a (admittedly small) chance that we'll eventually get another real Fallout game from Obsidian. :dance:

But, in the meantime, I guess I'll have fun wandering around shooting stuff and hoarding stimpacks while trying to avoid the hamhanded 'story'.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm hyped for disappointment. I think that's the best way to go in to every game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Since this is Skyrim With Guns can you still dual wield and can you dual wield a pistol and hatchet more importantly.

No, you have to swap weapons.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

JoshTheStampede posted:

Energy weapons don't seem to be called out separately at al anymore - the perks reference pistols, non-auto rifles, auto rifles, and big guns. So a laser pistol uses the same stat and perks as a bullet pistol, but the differences are on the defensive end.

Energy, Regular Combustion Ammo, Radiation and explosive are just damage types. The basic design of the gun is all that matters in the now streamlined weapon system and I think I like it.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fintilgin posted:

The thing that has me the most excited about Fallout 4 is that there is a (admittedly small) chance that we'll eventually get another real Fallout game from Obsidian. :dance:

But, in the meantime, I guess I'll have fun wandering around shooting stuff and hoarding stimpacks while trying to avoid the hamhanded 'story'.

We are not getting another Fallout game from Obsidian.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

No, you have to swap weapons.

LaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAme.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bedshaped posted:

I'm hyped for disappointment. I think that's the best way to go in to every game.

If people don't already know exactly what they're getting after Obsidian/F3/Skyrim then they're idiots.

An enjoyable shoot'em/loot'em set in a fanfiction version of the Fallout universe.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Crabtree posted:

Energy, Regular Combustion Ammo, Radiation and explosive are just damage types. The basic design of the gun is all that matters in the now streamlined weapon system and I think I like it.

Yeah, so do I. In prior games I would always have to choose between being good early but plateauing in the midgame (small guns) or sucking early but owning late (energy). Now I can have a smoother curve while specializing in the style of gunplay I want to actually do.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I hope Mysterious Stranger is still good. I love that guy.

Even in Nuka Break.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bedshaped posted:

We are not getting another Fallout game from Obsidian.

Probably not, no.

At least Fallout went out on a bright note, with New Vegas. :unsmith:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?s=3&p=5&e=1&c=1&i=6&a=2&l=9

Do-It-Yourself Hobbyist/Otaku fueled by money and luck. Boring but I sperg out during first playthroughs if I find a cool weapon but can't use it/use it effectively. Since there's bobbleheads and I'll be playing after everyone has figured everything out I'll beeline them once their locations are on the wiki.

Any of the streamers able to call in the vertibird yet? Is that how you call in power armor too?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
My Fallout 4 character is going to be Albert; the charismatic laywer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fintilgin posted:

If people don't already know exactly what they're getting after Obsidian/F3/Skyrim then they're idiots.

yeah i mean all this game has to do is be "a little better than 3" and i'll be perfectly happy to play it for a zillion hours

i have low standards when it comes to certain settings and series

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

An enjoyable shoot'em/loot'em set in a fanfiction version of the Fallout universe.

It's not the fanfiction version of the Fallout universe if its the dudes who own the thing are making it, though? It's just the Fallout universe.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i am gonna make a beeline for the Party Boy perk

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

MisterBibs posted:

It's not the fanfiction version of the Fallout universe if its the dudes who own the thing are making it, though? It's just the Fallout universe.

No, see, if it doesn't line up with how I think the canon should have progressed after 2, then it doesn't count. Only Interplay gets to decide how the canon goes...unless it's Obsidian in which case they can too because, you know.

See also: People claiming the Star Wars prequels "don't count" even though George Lucas made them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

No, see, if it doesn't line up with how I think the canon should have progressed after 2, then it doesn't count. Only Interplay gets to decide how the canon goes...unless it's Obsidian in which case they can too because, you know.

See also: People claiming the Star Wars prequels "don't count" even though George Lucas made them.

People have claimed Fallout 2 is a fanfiction version of the universe due to talking deathclaws so it ain't anything new.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Speedball posted:

I hope Mysterious Stranger is still good. I love that guy.

Even in Nuka Break.

The Mysterious Stranger perk still calls him up, unfortunately he only appears when you use V.A.T.S. though.

Also I'm kind of scared of another Obsidian Fallout now with the new 4 system. A lot of purists will probably demand them to go back to the age of Skills and twitter bomb the review even lower than New Vegas when they likely keep most of 4's new strengths, if it ever happens at all.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Whoa now, there's a difference between your casual NMA hatespawn and everyone who wants to pretend that George Lucas was never allowed to direct anything again after Return of Jedi.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 6, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Crabtree posted:

Also I'm kind of scared of another Obsidian Fallout now with the new 4 system. A lot of purists will probably demand them to go back to the age of Skills and twitter bomb the review even lower than New Vegas when they likely keep most of 4's new strengths, if it ever happens at all.

Honestly, I really hated the perk tree in Skyrim, but other than the +damage perks I think that the Fallout 4 system is pretty good. I don't know why, maybe it's because skills always kind of sucked.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
http://streamcountry.com/hatenewspapers/

I get the FBI anti piracy warning splash page, but do our law enforcement officers now pair that up with forlorn violin music for dramatic effect? (cinema sins DING)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

People have claimed Fallout 2 is a fanfiction version of the universe due to talking deathclaws so it ain't anything new.

The fallout bible pretty much does that. Fallout 2 had a ton of really really objectively dumb stuff in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, annoyingly, some of the perks are just number increases. However... Some of the perks seem really crazy and game-changing, like ejecting your used-up power cores as grenades, Terminator 3 style? That's awesome.

Traits aren't in this game, are they? Handicapping yourself for a strange and cool bonus was always neat, it'd be sad if it was gone.

• Locked thread