Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

420 Gank Mid posted:

If you're using dfhack you can select a tile of the vein and enter "digv" as a command

You can also just hit ctrl-v I think (on default dfhack keybind settings).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The upside of digv is that it auto marks the entire vein, regardless of how much or little you can see. That may seem a little cheaty, but auto mine vein won't give you any kind of notification before mining straight through natural walls (say, into the caverns). If you digv, you can then undesignate the offending sections and promptly forget about it.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

One of the latest peridexis has vein mining built in on the designate menu.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Fix Lag posted:

yeah it's under submenu q but you have to press D and then little d and then h and then x and then back up one level and select an area over the vein and then press r a bunch of times and then depending on the position of the sun relative to the moon and the number of pizza rolls left in this bag you're poo poo out of luck

no there isn't an automining function

It works absolutely fine for me. The game's automining function makes it so that when a tile is mined, it designates every revealed tile that is of the same type of the original tile to be mined as well. You just have to designate all the revealed bits of the mineral you want mined and then you can safely do other stuff.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

IT WASN'T INEVITABLE YOU WANNA GO M8

Toady One posted:

I finished up the adventure mode side of personality needs -- partially by adding an avenue for the "argue"/"cause trouble" need. You can argue over differing values (or if you want, put forth an argument you don't agree with just to start trouble), and there are a few options, including ones that can make people angry. You can change people's values (or change your own if you choose to acquiesce yourself), and it uses some of the conversation skills. I fixed an old issue where brawls would automatically elevate to "non-lethal" status. I also cleaned up some of the performance text.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

canepazzo posted:

One of the latest peridexis has vein mining built in on the designate menu.

If you mean the Designate: All / Automine Ore & Gems / etc... thats part of DF proper since a while ago.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
I stand corrected

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

scamtank posted:

Will trolls get a racial bonus to trolling checks? :v:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

scamtank posted:

You wot m8, swear on me beard m8 I'm gonna bash ur knees in m8.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
My favorite story from Dwarf Fortress goes a little like this.

Once upon a time, someone was messing around in adventure mode and decided to kill some townsfolk. A little while later, he notices that there are tears in his adventurer's eyes.

The horrible atrocities done to the people of the village...

Toady One posted:

The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control... they can only cry

The player is the God of Blood, filling the mind of a hapless bystander with madness, beyond their control.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The number of similarities between Dwarf Fortress and Undertale are surprising.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Tunicate posted:

The number of similarities between Dwarf Fortress and Undertale are surprising.

What's a furry RPG have to do with randomly generated fantasy worlds?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Shayu posted:

A what?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

oh god I'm getting into chipping away at Dwarf Fortress.exe with dfhack and Cheat Engine again

Did you know that armor still uses the [VALUE:xxx] token that was removed from the raws? It just reads the size and other attributes from the raws during the load-save and spits down a number based on those. You can still screw with the value in-game and it will alter the prices accordingly. Oh and also that [UPSTEP:MAX] is internally the same as [UPSTEP:10000]?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Hmmnn... The Autumn caravan has decided that my site is unreachable. I have a 3x1 ramp to the surface, and then a 3 wide corridor and a L turn into the trade depot. The only thing I can think about is that I'm walling off my entrance, have three sides covered and I'm building a shor drawbridge to seal it off. Something like this:

xxxxxx
x v ooo
x v ooo
x v ooo
xxxxxx

(ASCII "art" not to scale, forum keeps eating my spaces)

x - Wall
v - Ramp
o - Bridge under construction

So, can the bridge be blocking the caravan somehow? Any other ideas on why my fortress is so unjustifiably shunned? And can I build a new emergency trade depot to bring the season caravan back?

The caravan liaison popped up normally.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Select the depot and press something, I think f? And it pops up an overlay to visualise access. Note that you only need a 1x1 valid path, it takes into consideration the size of the cart and blanks out 2 wide routes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fat Samurai posted:

FWIW, [fixed] or [code] will solve that for you.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Hmmnn... The Autumn caravan has decided that my site is unreachable. I have a 3x1 ramp to the surface, and then a 3 wide corridor and a L turn into the trade depot. The only thing I can think about is that I'm walling off my entrance, have three sides covered and I'm building a shor drawbridge to seal it off. Something like this:

xxxxxx
x v ooo
x v ooo
x v ooo
xxxxxx

x - Wall
v - Ramp

So, can the bridge be blocking the caravan somehow? Any other ideas on why my fortress is so unjustifiably shunned? And can I build a new emergency trade depot to bring the season caravan back?

I had a problem like this a while back, where dwarves were completely unable to ascend a ramp directly onto a bridge. Rebuilding the bridge so there's a single row of normal floor between it and the ramp solved it.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Dongattack posted:

What's it like to embark near a necromancers tower anyway, can you "kill" the undead? I did it by accident once before i knew about them and my military fought a reanimated hand for around one year before someone lobbed it into a lake where it froze. Then the lake thawed in the spring and THE HAND CAME BACK ALIVE and nobody would go near the lake, i proceeded to laugh like a idiot for a few solid minutes and then restart my fort somewhere where there was no necromancer.

The real fun is when a necromancer (or three) stealth infiltrates your fort and finds your bone/shell stockpile. Cue screaming dwarves running from a swarm of vengeance-seeking oyster shells, which I imagine hop around like those novelty wind-up teeth.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Wonderslug posted:

The real fun is when a necromancer (or three) stealth infiltrates your fort and finds your bone/shell stockpile. Cue screaming dwarves running from a swarm of vengeance-seeking oyster shells, which I imagine hop around like those novelty wind-up teeth.

:iit:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Samurai posted:

xxxxxx
x v ooo
x v ooo
x v ooo
xxxxxx

x - Wall
v - Ramp

If the bridge is under construction that's probably why. Either that or an errant boulder you need to smooth down.

Hit shift-d and it'll show you the pathing to the trade depot. Green squares can get to it, red squares can't. Just start at the depot and go out until you find the blockage.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for the answers. Apparently a bridge under construction counts as impassable for the caravan, even if there is solid ground below it.

Subjunctive posted:

FWIW, [fixed] or [code] will solve that for you.

Good to know, too.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wonderslug posted:

Game should really modify bravery against mob size so that any old cook can just walk over and squish the animated tongues under his boots.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quick dumb question that the wiki doesn't have readily available and totally should: at what level of skill do military dwarves swap to the elite/lord title?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Nietzschean posted:

Quick dumb question that the wiki doesn't have readily available and totally should: at what level of skill do military dwarves swap to the elite/lord title?

Pretty sure it's 10/Great, but I could be wrong.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

darthbob88 posted:

Pretty sure it's 10/Great, but I could be wrong.

My first thought was that it was "Great," which I thought I recalled being either 10 or 12; but, then I went to the wiki and saw that 10 is Accomplished and 11 is Great and 12 is Master and now I still have no clue.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's 10.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
A 22 dwarf migration wave, I was not prepared!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Seems like LNP updated again.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asproigerosis posted:

A 22 dwarf migration wave, I was not prepared!

A 22-dwarf cavern expedition, you say? How fortunate!

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

A 22-dwarf cavern expedition, you say? How fortunate!

engraving slabs is such a pain in the butt though

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
What the devil kind of dwarf are you, that can't carve a tablet with your naked arse?

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
But he CAN carve the tablet with his rear end. It just causes him pain.

This is probably due to not drinking enough.... which may mean he's a vampire. Better wall him off in the caverns, just to make sure.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

Long after all others have perished, I alone shall remain, eternal guardian of the lever control system.

Let there be lava.

Backdoor Mayor
May 14, 2007

I got a package for your mother...

Fix Lag posted:

Long after all others have perished, I alone shall remain, eternal guardian of the lever control system.

Let there be lava.

For the sake of science, could somebody make a central control room with levers for everything and then wall a vampire mayor in there? I have a feeling nothing or something wonderful would happen.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shayu posted:

In Undertale, if you do the kill-everybody route, the player is treated in the narrative as a demonic force possessing the protagonist.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
As far as I know, the vampire in the room with all the levers should be okay. The only problem is that they will eventually slow down. Dwarves need booze to function, but can only drink the blood of other dwarves. I think there is a limit to how slow they move eventually, but if you need a level pulled NOW, a caged vampire might not be the right answer.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

captain innocuous posted:

My favorite story from Dwarf Fortress goes a little like this.

Once upon a time, someone was messing around in adventure mode and decided to kill some townsfolk. A little while later, he notices that there are tears in his adventurer's eyes.

The horrible atrocities done to the people of the village...

The player is the God of Blood, filling the mind of a hapless bystander with madness, beyond their control.

This is simultaneously terrifying and one of the reasons I love this game so much.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

At One With The Slab was a legendary elk-bird leather bound book. The written portion consists of a 131 page guide entitled At One With The Slab, authored by Reg Roofcloister. It concerns the garnierite slab Necrohero. The writing is depressing and it is quite florid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

In Undertale, if you do the kill-everybody route, the player is treated in the narrative as a demonic force possessing the protagonist.

And if you kill everyone, random encounters still happen, but nobody comes.