Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Holy crap, is this the start of Cooties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
So this kid is an expert at throat-slitting like two days in.

Also, Countess Gaga is going to be SO MAD at Doctor Lady.

In The Bushes
Mar 4, 2012

spoon0042 posted:

Well that went off the rails quickly.

Just a bit.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

That was extremely ridiculous, but I loved it. Interest levels have piqued about as high as they've been since Asylum.

That being said, who wants to bet we never see those kids again?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
oh sure, I'll give you a room, cheap even

edit: DO IT

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This seems as over-stuffed as the last two seasons, but not in a bad way, like the last two seasons.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
DO YOU HAVE AIDS!

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I drank your sprite!

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
there we go

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Are you alzheimer's??

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:dogbutton:

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Saw the AIDS reference comin' a mile away. Still, that's a nice backstory for Liz I suppose.

Although leave it to "Nothing .... is Safe" to snap us back to reality.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Welp the second she gave that kid the virus and they started following his character I knew that the writers have officially went off the rails. How the gently caress are they going to wrap up that storyline in any meaningful way now? Also that little red headed bastard kid is in everything now.

Something just irks me about Chloe Sevigny characters. She's like Ryan Murphy's wet blanket that he drapes on every season to weigh it down.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Well this was definitely the first bad episode of the season for me. They created something that's going to spiral horribly out of control because one character didn't listen to the tutorial after she was turned into a vampire and they spent half the episode following that thread (I won't lie: I expected the LAPD SWAT to mow down those little bloodsuckers). And the hipsters had absolutely poo poo writing and characterizations; it's amazing how Kathy managed to find some blood in them under all that straw. I get they're expendable but Jesus, come on. I really wish they would have kept the Liz Taylor origin story (which I liked immensely for the most part because I'm a big softie, even though most of it was handled as subtly as a kick to the nose) and just did anything else with the rest of the episode.

There was a bit of writing advice I picked up somewhere that goes like this: never bring time travel, the Cthulu Mythos, or giant robots into an established setting, because if you do, all it will ever really be about from then on, is time travel, or the Cthulu Mythos, or giant robots. Or giant robots traveling through time to fight the Cthulu Mythos. They definitely introduced an element way bigger than the show and its normal setting by creating a pack of cunning vampire children who are willing to blood orgy hard enough to convert an entire class (and maybe more) in a single afternoon. It can rapidly spiral out of control and overwhelm the plot and I don't trust this show nearly enough to think they'll handle it well. It will either be way too much and eclipse too much of the plot, or it will die like a wet fart. But either way, it's a logical conclusion that didn't need to occur because it adds way too much in a bad way.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

It looks like it could go off the rails, but I get the feeling it all points towards a "kill the original vampire" kind of ending, where oh hey it looks like these murder children are going to end civilization as we know it by making everyone vampires but then suddenly someone kills vampire-Gaga and everything is saved!

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Best ep of the season for me. The show has been constantly handicapped by the writers‘ inability to create sympathetic villains while making them the sole focus of the narrative, leading to who-gives-a-poo poo-anymore-the-entire-cast-just-gang-raped-someone-ville. I think they finally got it right here.

I'm down with seeing Dennis O' Liz and Kathy Bates do monstrous things because I'm also engaged by them and the actors are really going for it. Even Lady GaGapire has a moral dimension to her which contrasts nicely with the ruthless amorality of her 'children'.

Also the show got the vampires as a metaphor for sex/gender warfare down in a single ep better than true blood did in its entire run. Season just got a lot more interesting imo.

It's nice to be able to write positive things about AHS again. Bet they find a way to gently caress it up though.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 5, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hostile V posted:

There was a bit of writing advice I picked up somewhere that goes like this: never bring time travel, the Cthulu Mythos, or giant robots into an established setting, because if you do, all it will ever really be about from then on, is time travel, or the Cthulu Mythos, or giant robots. Or giant robots traveling through time to fight the Cthulu Mythos.

So you're saying Pacific Rim 2 will have have time travel?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
When the anti-vaxxer mum got killed by her son I was all, 'Serves you right you stupid bitch.'

Was not expecting the school murder and the kids to get away with it.

I wonder why the Dr just doesn't grab her weird son and GTFO.

Oh, and Liz Taylor is amazing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Doltos posted:

Something just irks me about Chloe Sevigny characters. She's like Ryan Murphy's wet blanket that he drapes on every season to weigh it down.

I don't remember her being in any season before this one so maybe she just wasn't in any memorable role.

Oh, checking iMDb she was that one character from Asylum that I'd totally forgotten about and she wasn't even offensively bad. Are you confusing her for someone else?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

King Vidiot posted:

I don't remember her being in any season before this one so maybe she just wasn't in any memorable role.

Oh, checking iMDb she was that one character from Asylum that I'd totally forgotten about and she wasn't even offensively bad. Are you confusing her for someone else?

So far none of the characters have been stuck on repeat since lange is gone.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Denis O'Hare interview

Liz Taylor will find love and have sex at some point.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

King Vidiot posted:

I don't mean her in particular I mean the random person that Murphy seems to stick in every season to weigh it down for no reason.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I really like the school scene, simply because it was so crazy and out of nowhere. Everything in AHS is usually pretty contained and the general public is rarely exposed to it. And then in the span of seven minutes we had a full on epidemic and I had visions of modern day Lost Boys wreaking havoc.

Of course, once you get past that excitement, it's typical crazy AHS crap that brings up a hundred questions. Why didn't the hospital staff notice Max's temperature at an abnormally low level? Was Max always just a straight up sociopath to casually kill his parents and teachers? What happens when the cops go to take him home or can't reach his parents and they discover the slaughter? How'd the class get infected with measles so quickly when Maddie had to drink his blood? How'd that male teacher manage to get to the office after all that blood gushing from his throat? Doesn't that school have any sort of security cameras, even in the office area?

These are questions I don't think will get answered. Again, knowing how this show works, part of me will be surprised if we even see these kids again. Or we'll get a quickie scene with all of them lying dead in the woods after they failed to feed fast enough and relapsed to the measles. But seeing them run around the lobby, tearing up the place while Iris chases them and Liz casually reads a book ... well, that's a scene I'd very much like to see.

On another note, I think Angela Bassett's characters generally don't add anything. Not because of her or her acting or anything, but none of them really get a chance to take center stage. Laveau played second fiddle to Fiona and was killed fairly easily, Desiree was just sort of there for most of Freakshow (save the tar and feather scene,) and now Ramona has had little more than her backstory and an extremely vague plot to kill the Countess.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Yeah I'm not really feeling the class full of child measles vamps.

The whole scene seemed like it was from a different show.

Still enjoying everything else though.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Wow i was going to come here and make a joke post about how vampire kids wouldnt learn to drink blood so fast but you guys are already here seriously going autistic over it

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
DATABASE 3 ERROR

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

TheBizzness posted:

Yeah I'm not really feeling the class full of child measles vamps.

The whole scene seemed like it was from a different show.

Still enjoying everything else though.

I'm enjoying this whole season so far and I thought the babyvamps were great. Like I was already liking it but I wasn't really on board until the little vampire outbreak. Also Liz Taylor's backstory.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Liz Taylor's backstory was wonderful. I'm really glad she's not another vampire, just someone who was set free by The Countess. She's living her best life even if that means doing some shady poo poo. And she and Iris make a great team. Two great actors working well together.

I...don't know what to feel about the school scene. It was dissapointing to me. I would have liked more of a struggle with the kid wanting blood but also not wanting to hurt his parents, and also to not be an efficient murder machine. But it was certainly shocking which I'm assuming is what they were going for.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Was it addressed in this thread ever that Chloe Sevigny's kid has hair like a homeless meth addict even BEFORE he was kidnapped? If that's his real hair, then why not go with a wig. If that's intentionally costume, then WHY IS IT SO BAD?

Seriously you think glampire Gaga would allow that kid to look like a blond Angus Young?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I thought a big part of "The Disease" was that it took away your empathy, but it seems very selective and only when it's plot convenient. The Countess, Donovan and Alex (and Iris) seem empathetic, Tristan isn't but he wasn't even when he wasn't infected. The Countess' children don't seem too picky when it comes to killing but we haven't seen enough of them to know their personalities, if they even have personalities apart from "Creepy Shining Twins".

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

coronatae posted:

Liz Taylor's backstory was wonderful. I'm really glad she's not another vampire, just someone who was set free by The Countess. She's living her best life even if that means doing some shady poo poo. And she and Iris make a great team. Two great actors working well together.

Yeah it was perfect and I'm glad they didn't go ridiculously over the top with it. Dennis O'Hare's characters are usually a bit more typecasted as the worthless husband/creepy dude role instead of the supernatural fabulous stuff he was letting on in the episodes prior to this one.

It's also nice because I got a straight friend who's a tranny and he gets some serious hate from his family and other straight dudes. They all think he's gay because of how much he looks like a girl with the pills and he gets serious pissed about it. I'm not great friends with the dude but I do remember one time me, him, and a bunch of our friends were out clubbing and he sat down next to me after we were all dancing for a bit and was like, "God drat it I can't get a single loving girl cus they all freak when I tell them I'm not gay."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I had the strongest feeling this whole time that O'Hare was playing a straight crossdresser, but then Gaga put that giant emphasis on TRANSformed and I was disappointed. Not because I don't like trans people, my very close friend and roommate is trans, just that it would have been nice to have a straight man dressed as a woman on a show.

Who knows, though. Maybe he really is a transvestite or straight drag like I'd initially thought. Or maybe Ryan Murphy is as confused as Doltos and his trans friend on whether or not an MtF who likes women is straight. 'Cause they're gay if they identify as women and want sum pussy. Technically.

Other than that weirdly specific nitpick that may end up not even being a nitpick I really enjoyed this eisode. Vampire children and all.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
My friend identifies as straight but also identifies as a woman. I'm also friends with a post-op trans online and she refers to herself as gay when she's with girls so to each their own I guess.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

esperterra posted:

I had the strongest feeling this whole time that O'Hare was playing a straight crossdresser, but then Gaga put that giant emphasis on TRANSformed and I was disappointed. Not because I don't like trans people, my very close friend and roommate is trans, just that it would have been nice to have a straight man dressed as a woman on a show.

Who knows, though. Maybe he really is a transvestite or straight drag like I'd initially thought. Or maybe Ryan Murphy is as confused as Doltos and his trans friend on whether or not an MtF who likes women is straight. 'Cause they're gay if they identify as women and want sum pussy. Technically.

Other than that weirdly specific nitpick that may end up not even being a nitpick I really enjoyed this eisode. Vampire children and all.

Liz Taylor says she she's not gay. Drag is a form of entertainment, dressing as a woman is clearly a lifestyle for Liz so that's not a terribly appropriate label.

She's a diva transvestite, maybe considers herself transgender. I'm thinking more the former, but if Liz has a romance/sex scene coming up that will probably be explored more.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I will also admit to being a bit confused as to Liz's status. I mean, not that it matters what she is, but her backstory didn't really clear it up for me either. I assumed she was basically a crossdresser (ie. a male who wore feminine clothing, makeup etc - so I guess the term transvestite would apply here?) rather than a trans woman. To be honest, I found the backstory did little to disabuse me of that notion, because it focused so much on wearing feminine clothing etc - which, while obviously something a trans woman would be interested in, is also something that men occasionally do or are into without identifying as the opposite gender. But yet she is still referred to as a she, which would imply that she is trans as well. ???

Anyway, I'm a very casual watcher of AHS and I'm not sure how I feel about this season. I think it's entertaining/interesting enough, but sometimes it's just too campy, or it takes itself a bit too seriously and comes off as too cheesy instead. I get that it's a horror show with horror tropes but it won't stop bothering me that the detective just waltzed into the hotel by himself and has never called for any, y'know, back-up, and things of that nature. I guess I also just find him an incredibly bland "main" character to follow around, and his wife and her weird obsession with her son (hello, you have another kid!) makes it hard to be at all sympathetic to her and I was hoping she'd die off already. Instead she goes and does some stupid poo poo, which leads us to...

Vampire kids. Entertaining, but was that first measles kid just a sociopath or what? I assumed he'd feel at least some remorse for offing his parents but nope, time to go to school and shank some teachers as well. That and the weird texting & biting... I mean those kids were what, like 7?

That and those yuppie vegan kids... Yeah, obnoxious as gently caress but they really didn't need half the dialogue they had to make us dislike them. It was just too over-the-top, not in a good way but in a distracting way.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Clocks posted:

I will also admit to being a bit confused as to Liz's status. I mean, not that it matters what she is, but her backstory didn't really clear it up for me either. I assumed she was basically a crossdresser (ie. a male who wore feminine clothing, makeup etc - so I guess the term transvestite would apply here?) rather than a trans woman. To be honest, I found the backstory did little to disabuse me of that notion, because it focused so much on wearing feminine clothing etc - which, while obviously something a trans woman would be interested in, is also something that men occasionally do or are into without identifying as the opposite gender. But yet she is still referred to as a she, which would imply that she is trans as well. ???

Anyway, I'm a very casual watcher of AHS and I'm not sure how I feel about this season. I think it's entertaining/interesting enough, but sometimes it's just too campy, or it takes itself a bit too seriously and comes off as too cheesy instead. I get that it's a horror show with horror tropes but it won't stop bothering me that the detective just waltzed into the hotel by himself and has never called for any, y'know, back-up, and things of that nature. I guess I also just find him an incredibly bland "main" character to follow around, and his wife and her weird obsession with her son (hello, you have another kid!) makes it hard to be at all sympathetic to her and I was hoping she'd die off already. Instead she goes and does some stupid poo poo, which leads us to...

Vampire kids. Entertaining, but was that first measles kid just a sociopath or what? I assumed he'd feel at least some remorse for offing his parents but nope, time to go to school and shank some teachers as well. That and the weird texting & biting... I mean those kids were what, like 7?

That and those yuppie vegan kids... Yeah, obnoxious as gently caress but they really didn't need half the dialogue they had to make us dislike them. It was just too over-the-top, not in a good way but in a distracting way.

More like 12 or 13 since it was middle school

You guys...could...could Liz Taylor's storyline end up being some sort of nod to Rocky Horror Picture Show?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pellisworth posted:

Liz Taylor says she she's not gay. Drag is a form of entertainment, dressing as a woman is clearly a lifestyle for Liz so that's not a terribly appropriate label.

She's a diva transvestite, maybe considers herself transgender. I'm thinking more the former, but if Liz has a romance/sex scene coming up that will probably be explored more.

I really don't understand why you quoted me here when your takeaway from Liz is exactly what my inital takeaway was. That I thought/hoped Liz was just a straight dude in a dress for whichever reason, but then Gaga says his blood smells female and emphasis on trans-form etc etc. So it's hard to tell whether Murphy is writing a transvestite or is doing another weird attempt at a trans person and being confused about whether MtF people into chicks count as straight or gay. Which would not surprise me at all, because Ryan Murphy already has weird/bad views about bisexuality and I wouldn't be surprised if he considers trans people attracted to the gender they identify as to be straight.

I hope it's the former, and I hope we get the slightest bit of clarification. Though if we don't I'll go on being happy with my initial thought that he's just a fabulous man in a dress.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 6, 2015

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Rewatching Asylum and Chloe Sevigney is soooo boring. I want to like her character, a woman striving for sexual equality and liberation right before those notions really took off, but her delivery is flat and awful. There's no conviction in her voice when the lines are supposed to be prettty defiant.

And drat I forgot how good Lange was in this role. Probably because it was so different from everything else, which always had a "faded starlet" vibe. There was a little of it as Jude, but instead of trying to regain her glory she throws herself fully into the asylum and it gives her this really believable fervor and energy. What a good season.

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

esperterra posted:

That I thought/hoped Liz was just a straight dude in a dress for whichever reason, but then Gaga says his blood smells female and emphasis on trans-form etc etc. So it's hard to tell whether Murphy is writing a transvestite or is doing another weird attempt at a trans person and being confused about whether MtF people into chicks count as straight or gay. Which would not surprise me at all, because Ryan Murphy already has weird/bad views about bisexuality and I wouldn't be surprised if he considers trans people attracted to the gender they identify as to be straight.

I hope it's the former, and I hope we get the slightest bit of clarification. Though if we don't I'll go on being happy with my initial thought that he's just a fabulous man in a dress.

I pretty vividly remember Liz talking about having an 'unwanted tube of meat' between his legs, although I'm not sure if that is how it was said ver batem. Maybe someone can cite/clarify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Max Hammer posted:

I pretty vividly remember Liz talking about having an 'unwanted tube of meat' between his legs, although I'm not sure if that is how it was said ver batem. Maybe someone can cite/clarify.

I definitely missed that one!

Guess we'll just have to wait and see if 'I'm not gay' means Murphy gets that an MtF into guys is straight, or if he thinks an MtF into girls is not technically gay.

I have no idea why this of all things is what I nitpick about this season.

• Locked thread