Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Plastik posted:

My parents' house has 2x2 white tiles on every surface in the kitchen. And it's not like we can blame a PHO, they replaced the old grouted tile with new, different grouted tile I want to say around 1998, and neither has dementia yet.

My shame knows no bounds.

2x2 what? Feet? Inches? Barleycorns? Cubits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GotLag posted:

2x2 what? Feet? Inches? Barleycorns? Cubits?

Bushel-hectares per meter-liter.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Twerk from Home posted:

I thought this was what happened when I pissed too forcefully at the urinal.

I thought that was 'backsplash'

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
that is my favorite firefighting movie.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

SneakyFrog posted:

that is my favorite firefighting movie.

No, you're thinking of Backlash

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Kilo147 posted:

No, you're thinking of Backlash

ohhhhh

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I thought that was a neck injury from a sudden movement.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Manslaughter posted:

I thought that was a neck injury from a sudden movement.

no thats The Clash

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

SneakyFrog posted:

no thats The Clash
Oh, I love them.

"ROCK the backsplash, ROCK the backsplash!"

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

James Madison Memorial High School in Madison Wisconsin. The windows were slits about six inches wide and three-four feet tall . It looked like a minimum security prison.

One of the middle schools in the area I grew up looked like a prison... because it actually used to be a prison.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Bad Munki posted:

Oh, I love them.

"ROCK the backsplash, ROCK the backsplash!"

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Zhentar posted:

One of the middle schools in the area I grew up looked like a prison... because it actually used to be a prison.

It still was a prison, maaaan

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's not rock, that's the artificial stiff, you know, weighs an awful lot, can't remember the name?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Cakefool posted:

That's not rock, that's the artificial stiff, you know, weighs an awful lot, can't remember the name?

actually its artificial stuff called airstone.. :catbert:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Off topic I think that stuff looks great but it must be a bitch to keep clean and I have terrible taste.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Cakefool posted:

Off topic I think that stuff looks great but it must be a bitch to keep clean and I have terrible taste.

eh. it is a bit of a pain.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want a kitchen that's an entirely solid cast of steel with no corners or joints.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I want a kitchen that's an entirely solid cast of steel with no corners or joints.

We'll shrink you down and put you inside a tuna fish can.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Baronjutter posted:

Can't find anything about the kitchen, but the Dymaxion house bathroom sounds right up your alley:

quote:

The bathroom consisted of two connected stamped copper bubbles, built as four nesting pieces. The bottom piece is fully plated in tin/antimony alloy and the top half is painted. Each bubble had a drain. No area had a radius of less than four inches (10 cm), to aid cleaning.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

mmm yeah wanna take a bath in an antimony tub

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
it's sounds like its effectively pewter-lined (mostly tin w/ some antimony for additional hardness n wear resistance), which is an odd and expensive liner choice for a bathing area but is basically totally fine otherwise. id guess its a reflection of the bathroom design- copper was chosen because its extremely ductile, enabling easy deep die forming, and extremely corrosion-resistant compared to all alternative ductile metal options. tinning and copper play together extremely well and wont suffer from galvanic corrosion to nearly the same degree that nearly all other bimetal combinations n platings will because their electropotentials are fairly similar. also the copper shells could be hot-dip tinned, which is much much faster and cheaper than typical electroplating and gives a much thicker and more durable layer of tin than would be feasible w/ other plating methods

its actually a p smart design, emphasizing corrosion resistance and longevity in a metal enviroment thats gonna be damp all the time is sound, except that all the base materials are "kind of really expensive" to work with on a large scale like that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Remember that Buckminster Fuller designed all the Dymaxion stuff in the early 1930s, so tin-plated copper may have just been the best option at the time. Plenty of materials have been developed in the last 80 years that would be more suitable.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Like fiberglass. Or carbon fiber. Or plastic. Or ceramics.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Yeah, but a round house.

EvilPsych
Jul 19, 2004
Ask me about my 'LiveJournal' :rollseyes:

Teflon Don posted:

Yeah, but a round house.

I have a friend that's a landlord.. He said something to me that has always stuck... "Some people should live in round houses...." I asked him why? His reply: "so they don't poo poo in the corners..."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Unless it's a spherical house it still has corners.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

thespaceinvader posted:

gee whiz guess i'd better throw out my toroid house and go back to the drawing board

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

No, it has edges. Corners are different.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

KillHour posted:

No, it has edges. Corners are different.

Not to Hounds of Tindalos, it isn't.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Samizdata posted:

Not to Hounds of Tindalos, it isn't.

I thought they came in through "angles" not "corners"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

flosofl posted:

I thought they came in through "angles" not "corners"

And also the person under attack had plastered his room into a sphere. Corners ARE angles, man, think about it!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

But not all angles are corners. A corner is a specific kind of angle.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

KillHour posted:

But not all angles are corners. A corner is a specific kind of angle.

Angle enough for Hounds.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Cant be that hard to do!

:staredog:

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

SynthOrange posted:

Cant be that hard to do!

Then grout with glitter play doh to complete the first grade look.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
look on the bright side, once you inevitably regret + despise the hot glue gunned backsplash you can easily remove it with a heat gun

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Cant be that hard to do!

I feel like the "right" (""""right"""") way to do this is to lay out all the rocks in a tray, then pour in a bunch of clear epoxy until they're submerged, and mount the whole smooth block to the wall as a unit.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

I feel like the "right" (""""right"""") way to do this is to lay out all the rocks in a tray, then pour in a bunch of clear epoxy until they're submerged, and mount the whole smooth block to the wall as a unit.

Uh excuse me that's not what it says to do on Pinterest.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

look on the bright side, once you inevitably regret + despise the hot glue gunned backsplash you can easily remove it with a heat gun
or just boil a pot of water on the stove

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Cant be that hard to do!

I liked the other ones in limited quantities but this looks like shiiiiit