Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

In case you were wondering if that did happen...

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Well, I would have to agree, even though I like Jane's World the Last Starfighter arc was the worst, so no more until I see some new material. It has become stale, so, in the meantime, should I scan Tank Girl even though it wasn't really a newspaper comic (magazine)?

Or, I could finally spring for the Dan Dare collection? I truly miss that comic, and there doesn't appear to be any kind of an online source.

Personally, I vote for Tank Girl but that's because I'm a huge fan, so I'm biased. Hive? What say ye?

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban

:v:

9 Chickweed Lane 11/6/2004

What? Ok, this is really getting weird.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Mark Trail

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd love to see some Tank Girl, regardless of whether it falls into the scope of the thread.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dan Dare or bust, and also because the last time someone tried to post Tank Girl the mods vetoed it.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Everything about this is awesome.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah, I give the Dick Tracy guys a lot of poo poo and I think they well deserve it, but they're excellent at knowing the strip's history and making sometimes unexpected callbacks. That's why the story with cops and gangsters switching sides was so great before they contextualized it.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Well, I would have to agree, even though I like Jane's World the Last Starfighter arc was the worst, so no more until I see some new material. It has become stale, so, in the meantime, should I scan Tank Girl even though it wasn't really a newspaper comic (magazine)?

Or, I could finally spring for the Dan Dare collection? I truly miss that comic, and there doesn't appear to be any kind of an online source.

I'd say Dan Dare. As much as I love Tank Girl, I don't think it belongs here.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Only Brooke could mess up a joke this simple.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

Why is this stupid comic that's supposedly for nerds and geeks making a SOME GIZMO joke?

Next Skip will lament Quagmire enjoying an episode of STAR TREK when he could be watching Matlock, like all cool geeksters do.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I really want to see some Tank Girl. All I have are these Rejected Cat Comix.

Pooch Café

I've got pretty bad allergies and that image is making my eyeball itch like crazy.

Ballard Street

Ted recognizes that his discomfort is his own problem and decides to remove himself from the situation rather than be disruptive. A good comic.

Lost Side of Suburbia

I have no idea where this is going. I assume 'somewhere.'

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County 2015 on the dangers of post-natal cyberbullying.

Skippy on preemptive punitive action. (September 7, 1928)

Mafalda

Peanuts (November 8, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

Today's lesson: Serving a tour of duty makes you a soldier, but selling your comic book collection makes you a man.

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 23-24, 1928)

Thimble Theater (May 25, 1929)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Today's lesson: Serving a tour of duty makes you a soldier, but selling your comic book collection makes you a man.
I see Tom Batiuk is going meta and attempting to give the readers themselves cancer with this stupid arc. I guess we can at least look forward to whatever hell he unleashes on Cory and Rocky for having the audacity to be happy.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set fails to describe the rumpus.

Working Daze is unsanitary.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix has its ups and downs.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

You don't know Prudence is moving in with you. Your dad speculated about maybe asking her. Nobody's even talked to her to find out if she's interested, let alone had a chance to determine that she's too old/fat/nerdy/gay for Quill.

(Personally, I think it's more interesting if Pru really is a knockout, but is also a nice person and not interested in stealing Quill, nor is Quill interested in being stolen. Luann would then ruin her perfectly good relationship all by herself with her misplaced jealousy. Lessons would be learned. Character growth might happen? Of course, the Evanses prefer transparent villains over nuance, so even in the unlikely event that she does happen to be attractive and available, she's also going to totally be going after Quill.)

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

(Personally, I think it's more interesting if Pru really is a knockout, but is also a nice person and not interested in stealing Quill, nor is Quill interested in being stolen. Luann would then ruin her perfectly good relationship all by herself with her misplaced jealousy. Lessons would be learned. Character growth might happen? Of course, the Evanses prefer transparent villains over nuance, so even in the unlikely event that she does happen to be attractive and available, she's also going to totally be going after Quill.)
She will be actually Tiffany and we all know it.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
I want to see a Phantom/Rose is Rose cross-over, and that creepy baby taken out with extreme BLAM.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I'd vote for Dan Dare; an old colleague of mine during my Ph.D. had his name tag on his door changed to have 'Grand Mekon' on it, which I understand is from Dan Dare, so I'd like to see what the fuss was about.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

She will be actually Tiffany and we all know it.

Everyone hates her for no sensible reason, she's halfway there already.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

So I'm reading this weird 60's pulp sci-fi paperback, The Time Twister:

https://vintage45.wordpress.com/2012/09/27/the-time-twister-emil-petaja-1968/

...And because it drops a lot of references to Finnish "song magic", it reminded me of a comic posted here, back when we had The Moomin Tax. A god comes to Earth (or wakes up after a hibernation?) and has to cope with modern times. He has the ability to make things happen with song. He has a little sidekick that seems a bit more in-the-know about how stuff on Earth works.

I remember really enjoying the charming artwork and writing. If someone remembers what I'm talking about and knows where an archive exists, I'd love to see it again!

Also, Blank, my vote is for Tank Girl. And we've had magazine (vs newspaper) comics in here before, not sure why a mod would veto them...? Mister Beeg used to post old Mad strips all the time.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 6, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:golfclap:

BTW, we had Dan Dare posted in here about a year or so ago, gripping stuff I'd say.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

JacquelineDempsey posted:

...And because it drops a lot of references to Finnish "song magic", it reminded me of a comic posted here, back when we had The Moomin Tax. A god comes to Earth (or wakes up after a hibernation?) and has to cope with modern times. He has the ability to make things happen with song. He has a little sidekick that seems a bit more in-the-know about how stuff on Earth works.

I remember really enjoying the charming artwork and writing. If someone remembers what I'm talking about and knows where an archive exists, I'd love to see it again!

Also, Blank, my vote is for Tank Girl. And we've had magazine (vs newspaper) comics in here before, not sure why a mod would veto them...? Mister Beeg used to post old Mad strips all the time.

The Return of Väinämöinen, yeah, I liked it a lot. Got a bunch of them saved from when they were being posted.

Anyway, I gotta vote for Dan Dare, because while I would love to see Tank Girl, I can't think of a link to newspaper strips. The Mad stuff got posted because it was connected to newspaper strips (there was a Spy vs. Spy strip so there was comparisons between the newspaper strip and magazine pages).

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Samovar posted:

I'd vote for Dan Dare; an old colleague of mine during my Ph.D. had his name tag on his door changed to have 'Grand Mekon' on it, which I understand is from Dan Dare, so I'd like to see what the fuss was about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I6iAnAqYOg

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

The comic is Väinämöisen Paluu, or The Return of Väinämöinen and it's drawn by Petri Hiltunen. I do remember it being posted here but I don't know if it has an official English translation or was it translated by the poster. It's a pretty great comic either way and while the main character is a very central character in Finnish mythology, the reader doesn't really need to know anything about Kalevala or other myths. The premise is "ancient god-wizard (think Finnish Gandalf) returns to modern Finland, hijinks ensue".

Also put me down for wanting Tank Girl as well.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

These strips are August 10-12, 2005. The strip where Anthony gets all "a bloo bloo woe is me" is Aug. 18, but it takes place directly after the attack, as he's taking her home.

Thanks. So he doesn't even ask her if she's alright, just starts reminiscing about his divorce. Classy.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

I vote for Tank Girl too. Dan Dare is garish and really difficult to read.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

catlord posted:

The Return of Väinämöinen, yeah, I liked it a lot. Got a bunch of them saved from when they were being posted.

Any chance you could repost or put an archive somewhere? I loved that comic and didn't think to save any. I've got plenty of Asaekkiga though, the incomprehensible batshit Korean comic that isn't It's All Right Chief Dharma.

And while we're voting: I vote for Dan Dare

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

:doh: Yes, let's just grab the dying kid away from his own people because you totally know what's best for him, MJ.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

MJ, Shaking this child is probably not helping.

quote:

The Heart of Juliet Jones

So the plan is to make the kid go for a week without more than a couple hours of sleep total, and expect him to pass the test?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

:doh: Yes, let's just grab the dying kid away from his own people because you totally know what's best for him, MJ.

Mary Worth is in town, her aura is pervasive. For the common people, the urge to meddle is irresistible.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

He wasn't screaming for help before she grabbed him. :v:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'd love to see some Tank Girl, regardless of whether it falls into the scope of the thread.
We have basically one rule, and we bend it a little here and there (I think Jane's World falls in the "bending" category) but I don't think we should just start ignoring it entirely. I think Tank Girl falls firmly in the "doesn't belong here" category.

I don't know if you have to buy the Dan Dare collection though, BlankIsBeautiful, unless you just want it for yourself. There's some stuff in the Comics Kingdom Vintage section that isn't getting posted that might be fun to see. Flash Gordon, Mandrake (no one's posting those anymore, right?), old Judge Parker, and a bunch I've never even heard of. I think you can access most of those for free, but if you miss a day or so you might have to pay the $20 a year to join.

F Minus

"Now, release the cats."

Mary Worth

Mary's word bubble is thinking about Olive.

Rex Morgan MD

Gee I just can't understand why Mr Avery and his son aren't closer. All he does is constantly belittle him.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Whoa whoa whoa a half turn? AND you can actually see her elbow as she bends her arm! Bolle's getting carried away with the action now that he knows the end is near.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 6, 2015

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Gee I just can't understand why Mr Avery and his son aren't closer. All he does is constantly belittle him.

Mr Avery's still mad about his son copying his wife's haircut.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Whoa whoa whoa a half turn? AND you can actually see her elbow as she bends her arm! Bolle's getting carried away with the action now that he knows the end is near.

"I got nothin' to lose! Time to bust out all those poses I never thought I could do!"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

csammis posted:

Any chance you could repost or put an archive somewhere? I loved that comic and didn't think to save any. I've got plenty of Asaekkiga though, the incomprehensible batshit Korean comic that isn't It's All Right Chief Dharma.

And while we're voting: I vote for Dan Dare

Excuse me, but even without translations or text bubbles even every single asaekkiga is perfectly comprehensible :v:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

She's a full-grown adult, but she's also a woman, so she still has to take orders from a little boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Tank Girl is my spirit animal so I'd love to see people's reactions to it, but being that the authors started writing new material this year, it might draw some unwanted attention.

• Locked thread