Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Got the pics up of my 2008-2010 MRE omelette!

5 years does wonders for the Cheese & Vegetable Omelette. I was incredibly ill at ease upon pulling the cooked "omelette" out. It wobbled and jiggled like a solidified paste made of eggs, and that isn't the camera quality making it such a disturbing off-white color.

Amazingly, it was still safe to eat and actually didn't taste bad at all. The peppers included were still just flavorful enough to give it some kick after so many years in a pouch. But the texture of the "egg" made everything seem like some alien dish dropped on my plate. Nothing about it immediately looked like food for humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

5 years does wonders for the Cheese & Vegetable Omelette. I was incredibly ill at ease upon pulling the cooked "omelette" out. It wobbled and jiggled like a solidified paste made of eggs, and that isn't the camera quality making it such a disturbing off-white color.

Amazingly, it was still safe to eat and actually didn't taste bad at all. The peppers included were still just flavorful enough to give it some kick after so many years in a pouch. But the texture of the "egg" made everything seem like some alien dish dropped on my plate. Nothing about it immediately looked like food for humans.

OH GOD!

Why is it brown!?

:gonk:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

OH GOD!

Why is it brown!?

....the spoon?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
The omelette was definitely the worst MRE. I think there was one with ham chunks in it. Straight up inedible. I wonder if they changed it since I last opened one

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VendaGoat posted:

OH GOD!

Why is it brown!?

MREs are lies.

Is the food any better in the cafeterias or are you essentially eating sub-school food 100% of the time in the military if there's no restaurants nearby?

Pomp has a new favorite as of 03:42 on Nov 6, 2015

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

....the spoon?

:colbert:

Pomp posted:

MREs are lies

Some of the ones I have tried have been....

Edible.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I think MREs are tasty in proportion to the percentage that they make up in your diet. I used to love them when I'd go backpacking, but that was once a month at most. Day after day for months or years... a man could lose his sanity :unsmigghh:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chard posted:

I think MREs are tasty in proportion to the percentage that they make up in your diet. I used to love them when I'd go backpacking, but that was once a month at most. Day after day for months or years... a man could lose his sanity :unsmigghh:

They taste like canned food mixed with convenience store snacks, really.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
You both nailed it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Even then, American MREs are at least a bit better than many other field rations I've tried. British 24-hour rations provide a similar amount of food for the most part and make very heavy use of commercial products, but there's a sort of haphazard scattering of components instead of carefully divided meals like in an MRE and some nitpicky problems like only having one spork for an entire day's worth of food, or having more spreads than biscuits to put them on so you end up having to squeeze peanut butter or jelly right into your mouth to get all the calories. Lithuanian rations are high quality clones of the MRE, but they have fewer components and accessories. I don't know of a single other country that has 24 unique menus for its field rations, let alone constantly rotating them in and out of circulation and developing new ones.

And Russian and Ukrainian rations...those speak for themselves.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

This can't possibly be bad, right? :ohdear:

edit: oh god why is it shiny

Pomp has a new favorite as of 04:19 on Nov 6, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pomp posted:

This can't possibly be bad, right? :ohdear:

That looks about 10 years old, so....

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
it almost looks like a tamale with the husk off

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Gotta remember MREs are there to pack as many calories into a 2-meal-per-day diet as is practicable, in minimal volume. I don't think MREs should count as AFP. Sort of like saying "oh look at this astronaut ice cream, its not even creamy or cold." Of course MREs are lovely.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Pomp posted:

Is the food any better in the cafeterias or are you essentially eating sub-school food 100% of the time in the military if there's no restaurants nearby?

I work as a contractor for a DFAC (dining facility) on an Army base, and am happy to answer any questions on this subject.

A lot of it is AFP purely from a visual standpoint, but we do serve some tasty stuff, far better than high school cafs. We have a bitchin' salad bar, a smoothie bar, a waffle bar with fruit, and some occasional interesting options like bulgogi and stir-fry. Most of the time it's standard American fare, made en masse. Much depends on who's cooking that day.

My biggest personal complaint is how much salt gets added; it's a wonder the entire US Army isn't dying of hypertension right now. Last night they made a pot roast + carrots thing, served over egg noodles. I took one bite and needed to get some water before my mouth puckered up like Arseface from the Preacher comics.

Now, I love salt. I eat Marmite straight out of the jar. If I make popcorn at home, when the corn is gone, I can be found running my fingers over the bottom of the bowl and licking them for the butter + salt taste. (It's me, I'm the AFP in this thread.) But holy christ do Army cooks add a fuckton of sodium to EVERYTHING.

Edit: to more directly answer your question, Pomp: I've seen everything from 80's high school caf food, to hospital food (while interning during the 90's, plus visiting my mom when she was dying last year), to jail food (I did a brief stint a couple years ago), and in recent months the Army's stuff; the Army wins by far when it comes to presentation and edibility.

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 04:45 on Nov 6, 2015

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Now, I love salt. I eat Marmite straight out of the jar. If I make popcorn at home, when the corn is gone, I can be found running my fingers over the bottom of the bowl and licking them for the butter + salt taste. (It's me, I'm the AFP in this thread.) But holy christ do Army cooks add a fuckton of sodium to EVERYTHING.

sometimes i scoop a little pea-sized blob of miso paste onto a butter knife and eat it standing in front of the fridge

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hypertension takes longer than suicide or it might be #1

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

chitoryu12 posted:

Even then, American MREs are at least a bit better than many other field rations I've tried. British 24-hour rations provide a similar amount of food for the most part and make very heavy use of commercial products, but there's a sort of haphazard scattering of components instead of carefully divided meals like in an MRE and some nitpicky problems like only having one spork for an entire day's worth of food, or having more spreads than biscuits to put them on so you end up having to squeeze peanut butter or jelly right into your mouth to get all the calories. Lithuanian rations are high quality clones of the MRE, but they have fewer components and accessories. I don't know of a single other country that has 24 unique menus for its field rations, let alone constantly rotating them in and out of circulation and developing new ones.

And Russian and Ukrainian rations...those speak for themselves.

Canadian rations do

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
If an MRE has beans in it it's worth eating. poo poo I learned.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Haverchuck posted:

sometimes i scoop a little pea-sized blob of miso paste onto a butter knife and eat it standing in front of the fridge

Butter knife? Hell, that's what pinkie fingers are for

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Nov 6, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
MREs are so much better than most other military rations it's beyond belief. I was there during the phase in of the MRE as replacement to the 'C' rations and it was like night and day.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm pretty sure my husband bought something like that in a tub for a home renovation or car bodywork project.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Before all the preppers started hoarding them and the price shot up we used to buy MRE's for backpacking a lot. The eastern European (Poland, Estonia, etc) and Korean ones are usually the best. For the American ones the best ones are usually the Mexican ones because they are made up of stuff that freeze dries well (beans, rice, tomato sauce, etc).

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Bina posted:

I like Cash Crab, because it's a funny cute name we can all remember our trash panda by.

Cash Crab :allears:

Also:

"Hush little trash bear don't let life make you frown.

Live like cash crab - go eat a double down."

:agreed: cash crab is queen of the AFP thread.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Cross quotin' from the China.jpg thread:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Ulfhednar posted:

I tried to stir it to make it look a little more appealing;

So I'm either going to assume that: a) That it was so viscous and pastey that it broke the ladle after you tried to stir it or b) That it just ate clear through the drat thing like acid. Neither of those options are what I would willingly put into my stomach.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This inspired me.

Chicken with soy sauce, some mixed herbs, paprika, a flavour packet from some beef two-minute noodles, pepper, and Tabasco.

Added some frozen vegetables and cooked away some of the liquid.

Added about half a jar of peanut butter.

And served with rice. It was pretty good.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

hello gentlemen

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

cash crab posted:

hello gentlemen

My god the horror...

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Is that being served on a pizza stone or something?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

And served with rice. It was pretty good.

I'd give that a go. Doesn't look very stellar but I bet it tasted great.

cash crab posted:

hello gentlemen

That's...

That's canned shrimp mixed with that Ragu alfredo-in-a-jar poo poo isn't it :cry: :barf:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I am pretty sure that it's canned or frozen baby shrimp in heated cream, served over spaghetti. At least Ragu has the merest whisper of rosemary in it; I am half inclined to believe that the above is paint and Cheerios.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
That is clearly the result of someone jacking off Godzilla

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Before my eyes resolved what was happening I thought it was a bowl of Fruit Loops in milk.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I don't know about you, but I could murder an Alfredo right about now.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

cash crab posted:

hello gentlemen

Someone needs to see a urologist about that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

zedprime posted:

Before my eyes resolved what was happening I thought it was a bowl of Fruit Loops in milk.

I thought noodles, marshmallow fluff and red apple jacks.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Shrimp Rorschach test.

anywho:

cash crab has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Nov 6, 2015

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chicken ala prolapse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

cash crab posted:

Shrimp Rorschach test.

anywho:

Pickled Horse Dong w/ foreskin au jus

or

Tube Worm in Lemon Butter Sauce

• Locked thread