Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Let's say a justice drops dead this afternoon. What happens? Does the seat remain vacant until the election or does Obama approve of some bullshit "moderate Republican" nomination? Can the Senate nominate someone without them being dragged through a purity test by Ted Cruz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So question for the D&D lawyers

Let us imagine a hypothetical fully refundable tax credit with the qualification criteria of "did you vote in this year's general election".

Does this stand to be challenged in equal protection grounds from those disenfranchised by other laws (prisoners can't vote, voter ID laws) and if so does it fall or the restriction. Followups: is there existing precedent on such a thing, and what are other possible avenues for it to be challenged?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Radish posted:

Is Ginsburg more liberal than Sotomayor?

Sotomayer and Kagan are both 5's, Ginsburg is a 10.

This works for pretty much everything by the way.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Zeroisanumber posted:

The victim was a Muslim. On the plus side, they've already slapped Burchard-Risch with a felony assault charge and after an investigation she'll get hit with a hate crime charge too.

How many years is she looking at for this?

In Oregon, where I live, I think she'd be looking at 7 minimum for the assault (Measure 11 minimum sentencing) and another 5 (I think?) for the hate crime component. So 13 years minimum before she'd be even eligible for parole.

I assume Michigan is more lax on violent crime though?

Fox Ironic fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 6, 2015

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Ooops! Intelligence officials are now saying those two Hillary emails thought to contain classified info actually weren't classified.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/hillary-clinton-email-no-highly-classified-215599

quote:

The U.S. intelligence community has retreated from claims that two emails in Hillary Clinton’s private account contained top secret information, a source familiar with the situation told POLITICO.

The determination came from Director of National Intelligence James Clapper’s office and concluded that the two emails did not include highly classified intelligence secrets. Concerns about the emails' classification helped trigger an on-going FBI inquiry into Clinton's private email set-up.

Wonder if this will get as much coverage as the rest of the email accusations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Sotomayer and Kagan are both 5's, Ginsburg is a 10.

This works for pretty much everything by the way.

Sotomayor is better than Kagan.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
When one Justice dies, the rest should be forced to die with them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

^^ this idea is good imo

mcmagic posted:

Sotomayor is better than Kagan.

Not at softball.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Chalets the Baka posted:

When one Justice dies, the rest should be forced to die with them.

I'm imaging the Justices pulling some Weekend at Bernie's-style shenanigans with the dead one to escape this, at least for a while. If Kennedy was the one that croaked, it would probably be a while before anyone noticed.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Sotomayor and Ginsberg are the best justices in a long time.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Here's a good article from Mike Lofgren detailing the current relationship between conservatives and factual reality.

Fachidiot is my new favorite word.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I defy you to find a hotter take than this.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Luigi Thirty posted:

In other news, a woman was arrested at an Applebee's in Minnesota for smashing a mug in the face of a Muslim for speaking Muslim.

This is the face of impotent white rage.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno why we're so worried about foreign oil, we can generate all the steam we need from these scalding hot takes.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
:eyepop:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Aliquid posted:

Let's say a justice drops dead this afternoon. What happens? Does the seat remain vacant until the election or does Obama approve of some bullshit "moderate Republican" nomination? Can the Senate nominate someone without them being dragged through a purity test by Ted Cruz?

The senate has an awful lot of time next year that they're taking off. They have to be off at least 10 days for a recess appointment, and there are quite a few huge gaps in the senate's 2016 calendar. Justice Brennan was a recess appointment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So is the scandal implicit in "Hillary said it was a video instead of a terrorist attack" that Democrats are too afraid to call out radical Islam? Or something else, because like HRC, I think what difference does it make.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

So is the scandal implicit in "Hillary said it was a video instead of a terrorist attack" that Democrats are too afraid to call out radical Islam? Or something else, because like HRC, I think what difference does it make.

The Republican theory has always been that if only Americans realized it was a planned terrorist operation and not a spontaneous response to a video they would realize that Obama is weak on terror and would have voted for Romney instead.

And that the administration knew this and that's why they "lied" about it being caused by the video.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

The Republican theory has always been that if only Americans realized it was a planned terrorist operation and not a spontaneous response to a video they would realize that Obama is weak on terror and would have voted for Romney instead.

And that the administration knew this and that's why they "lied" about it being caused by the video.

OK so then the current scandal is that Hillary lied for her own party's political advantage?

Also do they think that the video of him saying it was a terrorist attack in the Rose Garden the next day is fabricated?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Hahaha, gently caress you Heartland Institute. Go defend the tobacco industry some more.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Hahaha, gently caress you Heartland Institute. Go defend the tobacco industry some more.

Putin and all the mullahs of Iran upon hearing today's announcement

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

OK so then the current scandal is that Hillary lied for her own party's political advantage?

Also do they think that the video of him saying it was a terrorist attack in the Rose Garden the next day is fabricated?

Act of terror =/= terrorist attack or something.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Putin and all the mullahs of Iran upon hearing today's announcement

Not really, Putin has basically made the EU distinctly aware they have to get off Russian supplied gas and coal through his actions in Crimea and Ukraine, Iran MIGHT benefit from it, but not anytime too soon.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fox Ironic posted:

How many years is she looking at for this?

In Oregon, where I live, I think she'd be looking at 7 minimum for the assault (Measure 11 minimum sentencing) and another 5 (I think?) for the hate crime component. So 13 years minimum before she'd be even eligible for parole.

I assume Michigan is more lax on violent crime though?

It's actually Minnesota.

Right now she's charged with 3rd degree assault, which carries a possible 5-year sentence and up to $10000 fine. If they decide to charge her under the hate crime laws (and I don't know why they wouldn't) then that will bump it up to 2nd degree assault, which carries a possible 10-year sentence and fines of up to $20000. She probably won't get the maximum unless she's on probation or has a long record, but she'll definitely do some jail time and catch a stiff fine.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

He didn't say it was a "terrorist attack" in the Rose Garden. He said it was "an act of terror". This was the point that tripped Romney up in the second debate and led to, "Proceed, Governor..."

The Republican theory of the timeline is something like:

1. Terrorist attack happened.

2. Obama and Clinton told about the attack, decide to do nothing.

3. Obama and Clinton go to sleep. (This was the point of Martha Roby's "Were you alone all night?" question)

4. Obama and Clinton realize the next day that it was a terrorist attack and that this could mean President Romney because they hosed up.

5. Obama and Clinton tell the CIA to manufacture talking points saying it was a spontaneous attack caused by the video.

6. Clinton repeats the line from the talking points at the Rose Garden event.

7. The CIA points are given to Susan Rice who repeats them on all the Sunday shows.

8. Obama is re-elected and we enter a thousand years of darkness.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Not really, Putin has basically made the EU distinctly aware they have to get off Russian supplied gas and coal through his actions in Crimea and Ukraine, Iran MIGHT benefit from it, but not anytime too soon.

Excuse me are you saying that the Heartland institute is lying about the foreign policy implications of not building the Keystone XL pipeline.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

They had no loving clue where they were going with it from the get go, only that they needed someway somehow to make the standing Democratic Presidency look weak somehow on foreign policy after they got clowned on OBL

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

He didn't say it was a "terrorist attack" in the Rose Garden. He said it was "an act of terror". This was the point that tripped Romney up in the second debate and led to, "Proceed, Governor..."

The Republican theory of the timeline is something like:

1. Terrorist attack happened.

2. Obama and Clinton told about the attack, decide to do nothing.

3. Obama and Clinton go to sleep. (This was the point of Martha Roby's "Were you alone all night?" question)

4. Obama and Clinton realize the next day that it was a terrorist attack and that this could mean President Romney because they hosed up.

5. Obama and Clinton tell the CIA to manufacture talking points saying it was a spontaneous attack caused by the video.

6. Clinton repeats the line from the talking points at the Rose Garden event.

7. The CIA points are given to Susan Rice who repeats them on all the Sunday shows.

8. Obama is re-elected and we enter a thousand years of darkness.

Hmmm I think these people might be crazy.

But anyway that's the best summary of what's going on I've read because no one who isn't a right wing radio adherent can figure out what the gently caress is supposed to be the Benghazi scandal.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't think that President Obama get's enough credit for the incredibly ballsy move to go after Osama Bin Laden. Like seriously can you imagine the poo poo storm if it was a unsuccessful mission.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

They had no loving clue where they were going with it from the get go, only that they needed someway somehow to make the standing Democratic Presidency look weak somehow on foreign policy after they got clowned on OBL

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Hmmm I think these people might be crazy.

But anyway that's the best summary of what's going on I've read because no one who isn't a right wing radio adherent can figure out what the gently caress is supposed to be the Benghazi scandal.

I think that's what has continued to lead them to make unforced errors in prosecuting their case: they think that people outside of their closed media loop (1) care about this at all, (2) have any idea what the gently caress they're talking about.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hollismason posted:

I don't think that President Obama get's enough credit for the incredibly ballsy move to go after Osama Bin Laden. Like seriously can you imagine the poo poo storm if it was a unsuccessful mission.

President walks to podium, "We got him."

later...

White man on TV glares angrily, "You didn't get HIM "Sir", WE DID!!!"

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Yeah that image got me to burn the few conservative fb friends I had at the time.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
The right wing spin machine is in full force on the Carson story. They're trying to paint politico as the new Dan Rather. I think it will work:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

pathetic little tramp posted:

The right wing spin machine is in full force on the Carson story. They're trying to paint politico as the new Dan Rather. I think it will work:

The right wing spin machine can make up anything it wants and their followers will believe it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rep. Tony Cardenas' press shop is having fun on a Friday.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

The right wing spin machine can make up anything it wants and their followers will believe it.

You guys keep forgetting that the right wing spin machines of the Trump, Rubio, Cruz, and Bush are going to be hammering him on this. Wait until Trump starts tweeting about it.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

DemeaninDemon posted:

They have have already won the 2016 presidential election. Just as they won 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

This one is pretty amazing since it seems so clear cut. Is my timeline accurate on this?

1. Carson writes a book in which he claims he got a scholarship to West Point
2. Journalists look into it, find that he never applied to West Point, according to West Point
3. Politico calls his campaign, campaign manager says he was told he should apply but decided not to, confirming 2.
4. Politico writes story stating this
5. Carson campaign claims Politico is lying.

I have to say, one of the scariest things about the last couple of election cycles has been watching campaigns realize that they can just straight up deny stuff like this and not pay a price for it with their constituents.

• Locked thread