Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'm rewatching from season 1 and was wondering something - considering what we know the "Trickster" ended up being, why was he killing/molesting all those people and trying to kill Dean/Sam in his first episode in season 2? Just to keep his cover I guess? I would have thought he'd try and keep a low profile and just do the bare minimum to make people buy into his act.

e: I forgot how cheesy/over the top sentimental they got in season 2. The end of episode 17 was hard to watch without laughing.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Murphy Brownback posted:

I'm rewatching from season 1 and was wondering something - considering what we know the "Trickster" ended up being, why was he killing/molesting all those people and trying to kill Dean/Sam in his first episode in season 2? Just to keep his cover I guess? I would have thought he'd try and keep a low profile and just do the bare minimum to make people buy into his act.

e: I forgot how cheesy/over the top sentimental they got in season 2. The end of episode 17 was hard to watch without laughing.

Well he took on the mantle of trickster to hide. Tricksters are assholes. And not really just ANY Trickster, but Loki, so like...TREMENDOUS rear end in a top hat. They kill people. He wasn't above it, clearly. As for nuking Sam and Dean I imagine it has something to do with not wanting to be found out, like you said.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cool kids inc. posted:

Well he took on the mantle of trickster to hide. Tricksters are assholes. And not really just ANY Trickster, but Loki, so like...TREMENDOUS rear end in a top hat. They kill people. He wasn't above it, clearly. As for nuking Sam and Dean I imagine it has something to do with not wanting to be found out, like you said.

That whole thing was dumb as hell.

It was in their "EVERYTHING is an angel/demon" phase. gently caress, they even tried to say Reapers were Angels just to murder another supporting character, didn't they?

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Speaking of Gabriel/Loki, I rewatched the episode where he dies. It got me thinking would everything he created disappear one he died?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Blazing Ownager posted:

That whole thing was dumb as hell.

It was in their "EVERYTHING is an angel/demon" phase. gently caress, they even tried to say Reapers were Angels just to murder another supporting character, didn't they?

No, I think that was just "angel blades can kill anything short of Death himself."

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Just finished watching the latest episode and realized they retconned soul taking. When Pestilence ate the souls of people their bodies died. In another episode, a monster ate souls and the body died as well. Sam only came back because Castiel gave life back to his body without his soul. You might think it's because it's the darkness doing it, but remember demons did the same thing with souls not too long ago. I declare soul taking and leaving the body alive to be shenanigans in the highest order.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yaos posted:

Just finished watching the latest episode and realized they retconned soul taking. When Pestilence ate the souls of people their bodies died. In another episode, a monster ate souls and the body died as well. Sam only came back because Castiel gave life back to his body without his soul. You might think it's because it's the darkness doing it, but remember demons did the same thing with souls not too long ago. I declare soul taking and leaving the body alive to be shenanigans in the highest order.

Well, first off the Darkness is ~*~special~*~ and being the new enemy has a higher power level than any previous enemy, plus special abilities never seen before (such as keeping a body alive while eating its soul).
Second, they're dropping pretty heavy foreshadowing about D.A.R.K.N.E.S.S. building some kind of soulless human army for ???????? that will probably be revealed somewhere halfway through the season before it goes on winter hiatus.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
I forget, is the bad rear end Alpha Vampire still around?

With even the monsters raising armies to fight ****THE DARKNESS**** I'd love to see him show up.

I also want Constantine to show up, since his whole series was about the rising darkness, and have him berate Sam and Dean. I don't care if they don't share universes, any Constantine is never a bad thing.

Titan fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 6, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Titan posted:

I forget, is the bad rear end Alpha Vampire still around?

With even the monsters raising armies to fight ****THE DARKNESS**** I'd love to see him show up.

I also want Constantine to show up, since his whole series was about the rising darkness, and have him berate Sam and Dean.

Well, since Constantine shares a universe with Arrow, that would make Arrow share a universe with Supernatural, and then we'd have an even bigger mess.
Besides, Constantine is the only person who does "mess around with dark powers you don't understand and gently caress things up spectacularly" better than Sam and Dean, so that would be a bit hypocritical of him.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
What's the use of a body without a soul anyways? It's like a car without a battery?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yaos posted:

Pestilence was a bit different. He was causing people to gorge themselves to death and then eating their souls after their bodies had already died.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'm going through a catch-up binge here, and I have to say, "Baby" was my favorite episode in a long time. I could stand some more like it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

Pestilence was a bit different. He was causing people to gorge themselves to death and then eating their souls after their bodies had already died.

That was Famine.

Pestilence was Matt Frewer.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

raditts posted:

Well, since Constantine shares a universe with Arrow, that would make Arrow share a universe with Supernatural, and then we'd have an even bigger mess.
Besides, Constantine is the only person who does "mess around with dark powers you don't understand and gently caress things up spectacularly" better than Sam and Dean, so that would be a bit hypocritical of him.

I'd like to see him hang around Castiel for a bit and talk about wardrobes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Darko posted:

He can also talk to Sam and Dean about loved ones and friends being horribly murdered/dammed just for knowing them.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Darko posted:

And possibly "The Wire."

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I gotta say, I'm enjoying this "back to basics" more procedural feel the show's got (again) now. It really does feel like they finally stepped far enough back to notice for themselves how loving bloated it was

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Kicking the entire "IMMA WINCHESTER" out is the best/honest since season five. I say this but, still, wanting Ash with Angel powers in his Luchador mask.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That was Famine.

Pestilence was Matt Frewer.

You are correct! However, Pestilence didn't actually eat souls, so my point still stands.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

rejutka posted:

Kicking the entire "IMMA WINCHESTER" out is the best/honest since season five. I say this but, still, wanting Ash with Angel powers in his Luchador mask.

What does any of this mean?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I was worried they wouldn't be keeping secrets for absolutely no reason, but they are, glad to see that's still going.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dammit, took em all of one episode to go back to the SO MANY SECRETS thing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Maybe I missed something but who was supposed to be in the box Sam was seeing? Was it just lucifer's cage thing? Or do we not know yet?

e: vv I figured. Also they really love the "shitload of chains and hooks" Hellraiser-style version of Hell don't they?

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 12, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Twas the cage.

Might have been Lucifer, might have been Michael, might have been a vision of Sam grabbing the walls. No idea.

Kinda surprised it looks that small though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Supernatural's strongest season in years keeps running all cylinders.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Dammit, took em all of one episode to go back to the SO MANY SECRETS thing.

Man, give Sam an episode or two to decompress. He's trying to hard to change!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I have to give them credit to finally copping to the "Saving people" thing this season. While the "SECRETS!" thing is still hit or miss, they do seem to be addressing some of the other minor un-resolved/addressed things from past years: God, Perma-death, the Cage, etc.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Teek posted:

I have to give them credit to finally copping to the "Saving people" thing this season. While the "SECRETS!" thing is still hit or miss, they do seem to be addressing some of the other minor un-resolved/addressed things from past years: God, Perma-death, the Cage, etc.

I was laughing my rear end off for all the wrong reasons when Sam brought up the fact, gee, they could exorcise someone and Dean was so utterly clueless to the idea that he had to be told "Save the meatsuit" like he's some kind of alien that doesn't speak English it's so foreign to him.

Either way I appreciate them at least trying again for the first time in like 6 seasons to actually not murder people they don't have to kill. If anything that hallway fight was kind of a new status quo thing I'm thinking, where "Yeah if we can save people we do, but if we have to kill someone we do," which is what it always should have been.

Anyone remember the first episode where they had to straight up gank people with the demon knife? It was a big deal, and the only way to even make the attempt was to skip exorcisms and just ice everyone quietly and quickly. That was really effective because there wasn't a choice; saving people there would have been suicidal.

That was effective and it added to the scene, a lot, because it wasn't an ignored factor by the writers. It shows there's definitely a balance there. Unfortunately I think every writer on the show after looked at that scene and just decided "Well they can go on kill-crazy rampages now because they did once."

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 12, 2015

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I seem to remember somewhere after Hell was kicked wide open and before the Cas-Crowley Battle for Souls started there was something about the demons that got out rode their meat suits so hard for so long that they were basically already dead and there was no point in exorcising them. It was weak but they at least tried to explain the massive amounts of gankings.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
To be fair, since the moment Crowley took over as king of hell it has been the standard procedure for demons to use dead bodies as meatsuits.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

To be fair, since the moment Crowley took over as king of hell it has been the standard procedure for demons to use dead bodies as meatsuits.

I thought dead bodies couldn't be inhabited. Because otherwise, why wouldn't they just always do that?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

raditts posted:

I thought dead bodies couldn't be inhabited. Because otherwise, why wouldn't they just always do that?

I think demons had the whole "terrorism is good" thing going on for a while (like the first episode on the airplane) so it's more terrifying to have a guy do a murder suicide on his family than have another random dude do it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm not sure this is ~secrets~, I think Sam and Dean are so far over their heads that they don't really understand what is happening yet. They literally don't have the words to explain it to each other. The vague maybe visions, maybe dreams, maybe hallucinations may be less clear in their brains than they are on our TV screens.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Maybe I missed something but who was supposed to be in the box Sam was seeing? Was it just lucifer's cage thing? Or do we not know yet?

e: vv I figured. Also they really love the "shitload of chains and hooks" Hellraiser-style version of Hell don't they?

It could have been Lucifer's cage, but those didn't look like man fingers to me. Maybe it was the cage that held **THE DARKNESS** instead.

It it was Lucifer's cage, maybe it's a sign that Amara can be contained there? Maybe the cage was really built for her, her bro seems to have thought her escape was possible and worth planning for, what with alarms in both heaven and hell.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 13, 2015

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

I'm not sure this is ~secrets~, I think Sam and Dean are so far over their heads that they don't really understand what is happening yet. They literally don't have the words to explain it to each other. The vague maybe visions, maybe dreams, maybe hallucinations may be less clear in their brains than they are on our TV screens.

It could have been Lucifer's cage, but those didn't look like man fingers to me. Maybe it was the cage that held **THE DARKNESS** instead.

It it was Lucifer's cage, maybe it's a sign that Amara can be contained there? Maybe the cage was really built for her, her bro seems to have thought her escape was possible and worth planning for, what with alarms in both heaven and hell.

What the gently caress are they going to do, find the horsemen's rings to open the cage?

Well, it's not too late for Sam to agree to be possessed by Lucifer so we get the future scenario where Castiel is a hippie that loves orgies.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They have METATRON to see if there's a way to kajiggle the lock.

After Cas beats the poo poo out of him again. I loved he put him in traction but didn't heal him.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

They have METATRON to see if there's a way to kajiggle the lock.

After Cas beats the poo poo out of him again. I loved he put him in traction but didn't heal him.

In America. I bet Metatron doesn't have health insurance either.

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music

Tiggum posted:

What does any of this mean?

It means someone forgot to take his meds.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Is it me or is this the best season (so far) since 5?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

I think I would agree with that so far. I think it will all depend on how they deal with the darkness now that we know what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Pillowpants posted:

Yeah, I think so, though I'll be surprised if they top "Baby."It's been a while since my eyes haven't sort of glazed over while they fumble the main plot along, though, and this season I'm enjoying it. Of course, when they defeat Darkness then the only thing left to top it all is to bring God back into the game. I like the mythology they've built, but unless there are BIGGER gods out there I'm not sure where it all can go.