Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Worse, it's the designer's friend. At least with enough criticism you might say "ok so my work isn't great, I'll find someone else," but saying that to your best bud is a lot harder. Fortunately Sentinels isn't actually very good so consider the art akin to a poison dart frog's colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Name a top RPG series with a low art budget. Like, just one. TSR, Games Workshop, Palladium, White Wolf, Fantasy Flight... even a lot of the recent lo-fi indie productions of note have great art.

Not sure what defines a "top RPG series", but GURPS immediately comes to mind. My calculus textbook has prettier pictures.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah, good art sells a setting far better than any amount of text.

Not to me. I digitally cut out art so the files are smaller.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Koba posted:

Not sure what defines a "top RPG series", but GURPS immediately comes to mind. My calculus textbook has prettier pictures.

There is some good art in GURPS, just also a lot of bad. GURPS Magic 4th was particularly egregious in the poser-art department but even then there were also decent pieces in there.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Man, and I was actually looking forward to the Sentinels of the Multiverse RPG since it's the Marvel Heroic crew doing a more refined version of that system, but wow. Googling some of the card game art sort of slid that enthusiasm down several notches.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 6, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Comrade Koba posted:

Your calc textbook has an art budget.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Really? When a friend brought over Sentinels of the Multiverse we all liked the art pretty much, or at least no one complained. I remember playing as a a lady Batman sorta character and thought the art went pretty well with it. Looks like a comic book.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

unseenlibrarian posted:

Man, and I was actually looking forward to the Sentinels of the Multiverse RPG since it's the Marvel Heroic crew doing a more refined version of that system, but wow. Googling some of the card game art sort of slid that enthusiasm down several notches.

I thought MWP was going to rerelease that game as just Heroic Roleplaying some time soon.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serf posted:

Really? When a friend brought over Sentinels of the Multiverse we all liked the art pretty much, or at least no one complained. I remember playing as a a lady Batman sorta character and thought the art went pretty well with it. Looks like a comic book.
The early artwork is a lot rougher than the more recent stuff, to be fair.

It's interesting, because with the people I've played it with, the reaction to the art is "well, that could be better" but once we start playing everyone's good with it.

And I like Sentinels and am still looking forward to the RPG. v:shobon:v

Serf
May 5, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

The early artwork is a lot rougher than the more recent stuff, to be fair.

It's interesting, because with the people I've played it with, the reaction to the art is "well, that could be better" but once we start playing everyone's good with it.

And I like Sentinels and am still looking forward to the RPG. v:shobon:v

Oh poo poo there's gonna be an RPG? That's cool. I love Sentinels. It's a pretty fun way to spend an evening with friends and it's non-competitive, which is a bonus.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought MWP was going to rerelease that game as just Heroic Roleplaying some time soon.

They haven't officially cancelled it, but they're two years behind schedule at this point.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Still ahead of Far West. :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serf posted:

Oh poo poo there's gonna be an RPG? That's cool. I love Sentinels. It's a pretty fun way to spend an evening with friends and it's non-competitive, which is a bonus.

Yeah, Cam Banks is working on it (so it'll be a dice-pool assembling system), and has an interesting-sounding system where you get more powers and options as the fight escalates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doElWCspHDA

e:

LongDarkNight posted:

Still ahead of Far West. :v:
Yeah, but at this point what isn't?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As far as Vaporware World Records are concerned, Palladium probably has something that's been officially in the works for longer than Far West's lifespan. But maybe not.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Mechanoids space still has a pre-order page! http://palladium-store.com/1001/product/320-Mechanoids-Space.html

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wasn't he working on that in like the late 90's? I could have sworn I saw ads in old issues of Dragon.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

lol how is that even legal? Hasn't it been in development for like 18 years? This is Duke Nukem Forever territory

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Mechanoids Space was first talked about in the Rifts Mechanoids sourcebook. Back in 1992. So more like 23 years!

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I've been doing a little research on the Sentinels RPG - and it's looking good. It isn't actually Cortex Plus, although it is from the same team that made MHRP (Cam Banks is now at Atlas Games and the rest were freelancers), but a lack of MWP given their various fiascos over the years doesn't seem like a bad thing. And it is effectively MHRP Mk2: This time we won't lose the license. And don't have to use "pure" Cortex Plus and can add some nifty stuff.

For more useful things Character sheets (note that you need either the character or the scene to be at a given stress before you can break out the big moves by default) and a video

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Actually, can MWP create a "generic" version of the Marvel game? I don't remember there being a character creation system, and the system itself might be tied to the licence.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There was a generic version of it used in the Hacker's guide, I'm pretty sure, though it was an adaptation for fantasy instead of superheroes, I think?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Actually, can MWP create a "generic" version of the Marvel game? I don't remember there being a character creation system, and the system itself might be tied to the licence.

They've literally stated they're working on it. MHRP doesn't have character creation because Cam Banks is ideologically opposed to it for some reason, but the genericised Heroic Roleplaying is meant to have some character creation rules.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

unseenlibrarian posted:

Mechanoids Space was first talked about in the Rifts Mechanoids sourcebook. Back in 1992. So more like 23 years!

Mr. Siembieda posted:

Development on Mechanoids® Space is coming along nicely. I've been kicking around ideas and working on it here and there for almost two and a half years now, and I can hardly wait to get it out. I think the concepts, setting and avenues for adventure are so exciting that Mechanoids® Space could be the Rifts® for the next generation.

Maybe he wrote this in 1995

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, Mechanoids Space is the big buried Palladium book. Why? Well, Siembieda won't trust anybody else to write it. But he doesn't have the time to write things on his own anymore, and it has to be perfect and meet his vision, so it just keeps getting kicked down the line. It was given a "very tentative" release date of '94 in Rifts Sourcebook 2, then was given an official release date of '99, so Palladium fans have been waiting literally over 20 years for that one.

A mostly-complete list of Palladium books announced which just totally vanished can be found here. It's quite a bit out of date now, but that should only underline just how loving bad Kevin is about shooting his mouth off regarding any goddamn idea that he's written down on a napkin. Maybe that's the issue. He writes it down on a napkin, and then puts his coffee down, and it just gets blurred and lost. Hmm.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They've literally stated they're working on it. MHRP doesn't have character creation because Cam Banks is ideologically opposed to it for some reason, but the genericised Heroic Roleplaying is meant to have some character creation rules.

MHRP has character creation. It's not mathematically rigorous but that should make it all the more rules-light.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A mostly-complete list of Palladium books announced which just totally vanished can be found here. It's quite a bit out of date now, but that should only underline just how loving bad Kevin is about shooting his mouth off regarding any goddamn idea that he's written down on a napkin. Maybe that's the issue. He writes it down on a napkin, and then puts his coffee down, and it just gets blurred and lost. Hmm.
This is an amazing list. I sort of feel like Kevin Siembieda is a phenomenally creative guy trapped in ... hmm, what IS he trapped in? Best answer wins a just-released copy of Mechanoids Space!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Quarex posted:

This is an amazing list. I sort of feel like Kevin Siembieda is a phenomenally creative guy trapped in ... hmm, what IS he trapped in? Best answer wins a just-released copy of Mechanoids Space!

Kevin Sembieda isn't phenomenally creative though. He's a guy who had one real idea ("What if I made a game that was, like, every game all at once?") and he's just been rehashing that over and over for the better part of three decades now.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quarex posted:

This is an amazing list. I sort of feel like Kevin Siembieda is a phenomenally creative guy trapped in ... hmm, what IS he trapped in?
Really, he's trapped in himself. He doesn't seem to really get that it's not the mid-90's anymore and that the industry has left him far behind.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That list inspired me to reread Bill Coffin's (in?)famous post on RPG.net:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?74137-What-s-up-with-Palladium-and-BTS&p=1445566#post1445566

Still good for a chortle all these years later

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dr. Tough posted:

That list inspired me to reread Bill Coffin's (in?)famous post on RPG.net:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?74137-What-s-up-with-Palladium-and-BTS&p=1445566#post1445566

Still good for a chortle all these years later

Broken link. :(

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kibner posted:

I think it's just RPGnet that's down at the moment.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Kai Tave posted:

Kevin Sembieda isn't phenomenally creative though. He's a guy who had one real idea ("What if I made a game that was, like, every game all at once?") and he's just been rehashing that over and over for the better part of three decades now.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Really, he's trapped in himself. He doesn't seem to really get that it's not the mid-90's anymore and that the industry has left him far behind.
These are both quality answers. You both win.

I guess I assumed he was creative because all my knowledge of his work is people saying Rifts is "really interesting albeit a terrible game" and me buying one of his DEAD REIGN supplements and thinking it was definitely worth reading. Probably not the best baseline to work from

Kibner posted:

Yes but the cache works and it is lots of fun:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n&ct=clnk&gl=us

It is funny, Kevin Siembieda's methods of handling stress sound remarkably like how I envision myself handling stress in a situation I had absolutely no business being in. But I also have no shame in quitting the moment I realize I am in over my head. Has he ever considered quitting?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Quarex posted:

These are both quality answers. You both win.

I guess I assumed he was creative because all my knowledge of his work is people saying Rifts is "really interesting albeit a terrible game" and me buying one of his DEAD REIGN supplements and thinking it was definitely worth reading. Probably not the best baseline to work from

Sembieda is creative the way a guy endlessly spitballing Great New Campaign Ideas on a forum he'll never actually use is creative, most of his output begins and ends with an elevator pitch ("What if zombie ninja cyborgs fought giant lobster monsters for the fate of humanity!?") and then when it comes time to actually make that into a game people might actually want to play it comes out as 50% copy-pasted filler, 50% halfassed ideas that fall apart under the slightest scrutiny, much of which isn't even designed to be that useful for someone actually trying to run a game. And the biggest sin of Rifts isn't even all the copy-paste or the terrible system or the art that looks like something out of a "Learn To Draw Robots!" book, it's that it's actually pretty boring.

quote:

It is funny, Kevin Siembieda's methods of handling stress sound remarkably like how I envision myself handling stress in a situation I had absolutely no business being in. But I also have no shame in quitting the moment I realize I am in over my head. Has he ever considered quitting?

Why would he quit? There's no evidence that he's in any sort of financial trouble over Palladium and despite the decrepitude of his games and his apparently lovely personal and professional conduct he has plenty of fans willing to buy whatever he puts out (see the infamous Crisis of Treachery where people shelled out hundreds of dollars for the privilege of owning a personally photocopied drawing that Sembieda had made at some point) and I suppose even nowadays there are bright-eyed young hopefuls willing to freelance for Palladium (and get ripped off in the process) to be able to say that they got to work on a genuine tabletop RPG supplement. All evidence points to Kevin being perfectly willing to continue running Palladium until the day he dies.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Really, I think Palladium's focus is less on cross-genre gaming and more just on post-apocalypse, after Mechanoid Invasion, After the Bomb, Rifts, Chaos Earth, Systems Failure, Splicers, and Dead Earth. I think Siembieda's creative drive is often "so, what blew up the world this week?" (Slightly unfair, because he didn't write all of those, but he sure published all of them.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Really, I think Palladium's focus is less on cross-genre gaming and more just on post-apocalypse, after Mechanoid Invasion, After the Bomb, Rifts, Chaos Earth, Systems Failure, Splicers, and Dead Earth. I think Siembieda's creative drive is often "so, what blew up the world this week?" (Slightly unfair, because he didn't write all of those, but he sure published all of them.)

Yeah but Rifts only pays lip service to being post-apocalyptic, or to put it another way there was an apocalypse that happened in the Rifts setting and most games will be taking place after said apocalypse but it doesn't have anything in common with what most people are likely to imagine if you try to sell them on it as such. It's a post-apocalypse game where every major and minor world power has secret underground factories churning out advanced robots and power armor and jet fighters and tanks and there are dragons and wizards and psychics and psychic wizard dragons and giant monsters and even more giant monsters and Vampires run Mexico and hey, here are 45 new suits of power armor and giant robots, and all the gods exist and are super-advanced aliens and there are portals to other worlds and and and

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Kibner posted:

That's weird the link works find for me

As for Rifts, it's by design supposed to be a "everything and the kitchen sink" setting. Which would be great if the system was any good.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah but Rifts only pays lip service to being post-apocalyptic, or to put it another way there was an apocalypse that happened in the Rifts setting and most games will be taking place after said apocalypse but it doesn't have anything in common with what most people are likely to imagine if you try to sell them on it as such.

I didn't say it was good at it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I wanna say Rifts had some sweet looking adds in Dragon in the 90's. Some skeleton oldwest looking guy?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

bunnielab posted:

I wanna say Rifts had some sweet looking adds in Dragon in the 90's. Some skeleton oldwest looking guy?
Deadlands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
No, I am sure it was Rifts, I remember trying to find a copy in used book stores, which is where all my RGP poo poo came from. It stuck with me for some reason. Maybe there was some txt about clouds not all having silver linings?

• Locked thread