Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The more I see trailers of this the more I really want this to be The Thing: Western edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3thrOz8O4s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Hollismason posted:

Does anyone know where I could see this in 70MM because I really want to. I am in Chicago so I figure it will get a 70mm here but where is the question.

He personally fitted 100 theaters, but for some reason they haven't released a list of those theaters yet.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

GonSmithe posted:

He personally fitted 100 theaters, but for some reason they haven't released a list of those theaters yet.

Please let one of those be in Montreal. I mean, it's otuside of the US, but Canada is so close you guys!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Does anyone have any statistics on how fast the film vs digital balance is changing?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Asian Star Wars trailer with a lot of new footage, if you're into that:

http://youtu.be/SdAUiyeJMFQ

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
LOVE that shot of the TIEs set against the sun.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

The more I see trailers of this the more I really want this to be The Thing: Western edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3thrOz8O4s

The movie could honestly segue into that in the 2nd/3rd act and knowing Tarantino's audience I don't think anyone but the snobbiest members would care.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

morestuff posted:

Asian Star Wars trailer with a lot of new footage, if you're into that:

http://youtu.be/SdAUiyeJMFQ

I like this one more than the other one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

2010 Alice in Wonderland made over a billion dollars worldwide, putting it in at #21 in the all time worldwide box office earners

It was also only the fifth billion-dollar movie, after Titanic, Avatar, Return of the King and the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie. I'm more amazed it took five years to make a sequel than that it's getting one.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

bows1 posted:

Trailer for Chi-Raq

Looks like is all in spoken word/poetry esque?

Wesley Snipes
Dave Chappelle
John Cusack
Samuel L Jackson
Angela Bassett
Jennifer Hudson
Nick Cannon and more

https://vimeo.com/144523728

edit - Can't embed Vimeo ? drat

Fuckin noice! Contemporary Lysistrata.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rxoz13Bthc&hd=1

Not sure how I feel to be honest.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It seems pretty faithful to the source material with some minor things retconned that only hardcore Warcraft fans are going to notice or care about. Which is what has me worried, it feels too faithful to Warcraft. The style of the Warcraft world really doesn't seem to translate well to a movie. I really don't know how I feel about this, that wasn't that exciting of a trailer.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Looks awful

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It looks suuuuuuuuuuuper generic and like it has no identity of its own.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

"They should all be destroyed," he said of the raptors Orcs.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I am not particularly interested in seeing that film after watching that trailer.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Anyone know what the reaction was when it debuted at Blizzcon? I can't imagine people genuinely breaking into a round of raucous applause after that. It looks real bad, like SyFy bad.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I'm really curious as to how they're going to end the movie with a satisfying conclusion, since Orks v. Humans is the Warcraft status quo. The first two games got away with it because they could afford to go with a "the war is over guys, seriously" ending since as far as anyone knows they were the last in the franchise, and the third one had a Big Bad that everyone needed to team up to fight so there was levity in killing it, but there's no way they're not making sequels to this (unless it bombs) and I highly doubt there's a third super evil faction they're keeping under their hat for this movie so the whole thing's gonna end with "well, we won that skirmish, but orks n' humans are gonna keep fighting each other".

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Anyone know what the reaction was when it debuted at Blizzcon? I can't imagine people genuinely breaking into a round of raucous applause after that. It looks real bad.

Crowd reaction was pretty good actually. But I mean, it's Blizzcon. Everyone there is a loving diehard for sure and will likely blow their load at anything Blizzard related.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I can't imagine people genuinely breaking into a round of raucous applause after that.
It's BlizzCon. Of course they ate that poo poo up.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Anyone know what the reaction was when it debuted at Blizzcon? I can't imagine people genuinely breaking into a round of raucous applause after that. It looks real bad, like SyFy bad.

Are you serious?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

haha that look's terrible

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Japanese Star Wars trailer got me more hype. Still looking forward to it though, if only because of Duncan Jones and Paula Patton as a half-humandraenei?, half-orc lady.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 6, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lady Naga posted:

I'm really curious as to how they're going to end the movie with a satisfying conclusion, since Orks v. Humans is the Warcraft status quo. The first two games got away with it because they could afford to go with a "the war is over guys, seriously" ending since as far as anyone knows they were the last in the franchise, and the third one had a Big Bad that everyone needed to team up to fight so there was levity in killing it, but there's no way they're not making sequels to this (unless it bombs) and I highly doubt there's a third super evil faction they're keeping under their hat for this movie so the whole thing's gonna end with "well, we won that skirmish, but orks n' humans are gonna keep fighting each other".

Probably the first movie ends with "they live in peace" and then the second movie opens up with "jk there's actually a whole bunch of tension still".

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Yeah I was gonna say that the only way they could pull it off is some sort of celebration where everyone just sort of willfully ignores that the war isn't actually over.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's BlizzCon. Of course they ate that poo poo up.

Peanut President posted:

Are you serious?

Yeah, in retrospect I feel very silly.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lady Naga posted:

If it goes by modern movie making standards, it ends with those battle scenes you see in the trailer. If you want to see how the battle turns out you got to hope they make a WarCraft 2.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

morestuff posted:

Looks awful

I thought, "How bad can it be?". Well... really, really bad. Looks like something you'd stumble upon on Netflix at 2 in the morning.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

but there's no way they're not making sequels to this (unless it bombs)

yeah i wouldn't get your hopes up about those sequels then

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ah balls they went with the "team-up" plot. I get why given what little I know about the lore, but the problem is that with such a boring and conventional structure they need some dynamite characters to spice things up. Instead all I'm getting is "mopey good Orc" and "generic slightly douche-y Knight." Oh and there was a brown lady in there somewhere.

I wanted to believe but yeah this ain't looking good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I mean, those are capital-O Orcs. Like, the Platonic ideal of Orc. I'll give them that.

Everything kinda looks like cosplay, though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
High fantasy is bad.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I look forward to listening to it at my desk and occasionally glancing up while painting miniatures, when it becomes available online.

It looks thoroughly :mediocre:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 6, 2015

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

High fantasy is bad.

I sincerely agree.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I just think it happens like it does in the games, with the humans heading north and the orcs gearing to attack them again.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

High fantasy is bad.

The only type of fantasy I've been able to get into for years now is the kind that has at least one foot firmly planted in other pulp styles like heist stories and corporate thrillers. It feels like there's so much more of a license to go balls out with weird fantasy worldbuilding stuff if you're anchoring yourself in something that's still far from highbrow but more traditional, as opposed to something like this trailer where I'm like, man, there is next to nothing it can call its own.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

High fantasy is bad.

duh

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

The only type of fantasy I've been able to get into for years now is the kind that has at least one foot firmly planted in other pulp styles like heist stories and corporate thrillers. It feels like there's so much more of a license to go balls out with weird fantasy worldbuilding stuff if you're anchoring yourself in something that's still far from highbrow but more traditional, as opposed to something like this trailer where I'm like, man, there is next to nothing it can call its own.

ya its really missing the zombies, rocketships, zeppelins, aliens, demons and ummm dragons.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's like a videogame trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mostly pretty CGI but holy gently caress it's every cliche about two different races interacting with each other for the first time in one movie, basically like Avatar all over again.

And the acting looks pretty awful.

The orcs look too cartoony too.

Everything also looks too clean and shiny and brand new.

• Locked thread