Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

LemonDrizzle posted:

Well, I would say that at least in the technical subjects an undergraduate master's is the standard route into a PhD, and they're heavily pushed as the default option for any STEM student wanting to make a career in the field they've studied. It'd certainly be better if there were more opportunities available to re-enter higher education and get support for a master's, but there is a well-established route for getting into academia that avoids all the problems you mentioned.

I work in a technical subject (linguistics) which is grouped with the humanities for most administrative purposes. There are no undergraduate master's degrees. I also don't really see why we should only care about fair access to STEM, as you seem to be implying?

OvineYeast fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Taear posted:

The sheer amount of people who get onto websites by typing "google" into their search bar - not their address bar - and then googling "Facebook.com" is staggering.

For the most part people are really and completely untechsavvy and there's a huge difference between setting up a content filter and saying "Don't run into the road".

Hell the amount of times I've talked to people's kids to do even really REALLY simple stuff means it'd be bloody difficult for those parents to stop them doing whatever they want online.
Should those parents have their kids taken away?

You'd have a point if a content filter wasn't a literal yes/no option on most ISP's now when you connect a device to it.

OwlFancier posted:

What on earth was he expecting to happen :psyduck:

Who knows? Who cares? Lets just be glad it was recorded.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OvineYeast posted:

I work in a technical subject (linguistics) which is grouped with the humanities for most administrative purposes. There are no undergraduate master's degrees. I also don't really see why we should only care about fair access to STEM?

L0k m8 we dont need no lipsticks 2 tel us how 2 rite cos we alredy no yeh so fuk ur $$£ lol,

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

The guy's obviously an idiot, but how does that justify using a taser? He didn't even raise his voice, let alone pose any kind of threat to anyone around him.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Scikar posted:

The guy's obviously an idiot, but how does that justify using a taser? He didn't even raise his voice, let alone pose any kind of threat to anyone around him.

He was trying to go through with a video camera even when told not to repeatedly. I'm disappointed he didn't get a second hit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Scikar posted:

I generally find that trying to push past guards in a courthouse while telling them the law doesn't apply to you is kind of a good way to get nicked.

And also a taser is probably safer in some ways than trying to wrestle people, it induces muscular shock so you can't do yourself a mischief trying to resist.

The main problem with them is people keep using them just to torture people and sometimes they can gently caress people up if they have a heart condition, but so can trying to physically restrain people so you're kind of hosed either way.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 6, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Scikar posted:

Kept trying to push through to a secure area. Wouldn't back away from the armed guard when instructed to do so. Being an arsehole.

I don't like excessive use of tasers as a form of compliance, but when it happens to people like him, well.....

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also you could be forgiven for thinking he was seriously insane given from what he was saying.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Someone said to a soverign citizen once that if the laws of the land don't apply to him, the law that says its illegal to murder him wouldn't apply either. That shut them up.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Ah but you see under admiralty law it is still illegal to murder my person, but under admiralty law my legal entity has the right to enter the sluuuuuurgh *twitch*

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
In unrelated news a study has shown that religious kids are meaner than secular kids.

I guess it makes sense that they're told all the time about God judging you and how everything fits into the great scheme of god - they're bound to internalise that somewhat.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Looks like it wasn't politics

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/06/mounting-suspicions-sinai-plane-crash-russian-response

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OwlFancier posted:

What on earth was he expecting to happen :psyduck:

I have no idea. I have never understood SCs and the like. If things work as they proclaim, invoking a few magic words clearly won't change anything, because the entire legal system (backed by considerable force of arms) is in on it. If the Sovereign Citizen worldview was 100% accurate and a true and honest reading of the law, it would still be far loving wiser to shut your mouth when you're actually in court.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

Someone said to a soverign citizen once that if the laws of the land don't apply to him, the law that says its illegal to murder him wouldn't apply either. That shut them up.

Not realising that a large, powerful authority can simply force compliance on you regardless of your rules lawyering is a necessary part of being a sovereign citizen in the first place.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

A correct assessment can still be made prematurely for political reasons.

Really the surprising thing is that a Russian airline made a true statement about the condition and maintanence of its aircraft being fine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Not realising that a large, powerful authority can simply force compliance on you regardless of your rules lawyering is a necessary part of being a sovereign citizen in the first place.

It's like they never played DnD or something. Arguing with the DM only works if they like you.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Scikar posted:

America.avi

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

He was trying to go through with a video camera even when told not to repeatedly. I'm disappointed he didn't get a second hit.

this sounds somewhat fascistic mr flaps

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

Then pass me my jackboots because i'd like to see that silly fucker get tazed again and again and again.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Then pass me my jackboots because i'd like to see that silly fucker get tazed again and again and again.

this might suit your needs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2zVuHMT__c

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I generally find that trying to push past guards in a courthouse while telling them the law doesn't apply to you is kind of a good way to get nicked.

And also a taser is probably safer in some ways than trying to wrestle people, it induces muscular shock so you can't do yourself a mischief trying to resist.

The main problem with them is people keep using them just to torture people and sometimes they can gently caress people up if they have a heart condition, but so can trying to physically restrain people so you're kind of hosed either way.

It also seems a pretty good demonstration of how a taser should be used. They zap him, he drops, and then they stop zapping him. He's talking fine and clambering to his feet within seconds.

Also P. Barnes is a hilarious human being "God's not concerned with cameras, I am"

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

This Beeb article has a fair amount of detail about these specific instances of filibustering in parliament, as well as some details of the rules involved.

Long story short: There are only no time limits on Friday and a vote can be forced with the support of 100 MPs. Although that might have worked for the cancer bill, the opponents apparently spoke at great length about an earlier bill, such that there wasn't time left to have a proper debate on the main bill - it is implied that the speaker didn't call for a vote because it hadn't been subjected to proper scrutiny.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Someone find me a picture of some Asian child slave building the Something Awful servers tia

also who bought this :newdanger:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sovereign Citizens waffle on at length, but have never done so to block a cancer bill or giving carers free hospital parking. They've killed cops for allegedly infringing their rights, but not disabled people for not being able to work. They're still a long way behind Tories on the way to the wall, and can even have a gold fringe on their wall if they want.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

JFairfax posted:

Completely off topic, but I read that as The Fantastic Mr Flaps. A weird book, I imagine.

Prince John posted:

Long story short: There are only no time limits on Friday

The gently caress is with this country.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Prince John posted:

This Beeb article has a fair amount of detail about these specific instances of filibustering in parliament, as well as some details of the rules involved.

Long story short: There are only no time limits on Friday and a vote can be forced with the support of 100 MPs. Although that might have worked for the cancer bill, the opponents apparently spoke at great length about an earlier bill, such that there wasn't time left to have a proper debate on the main bill - it is implied that the speaker didn't call for a vote because it hadn't been subjected to proper scrutiny.

They did the same thing last week. Strategically placed waffling throughout the day to push everything back and back.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Just watched yesterday's QT on iPlayer and thought Victoria Coren was super good at taking Chuka on over his bullshit. I met her a couple of times playing poker and she's def a really nice genuine person. Also exhibits good judgement in husbands. Give her a peerage imo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

They did the same thing last week. Strategically placed waffling throughout the day to push everything back and back.

It's just hideous that this is allowed. Can't the speaker stop them? Isn't that the speaker's job?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

It's just hideous that this is allowed. Can't the speaker stop them? Isn't that the speaker's job?

Depends, kind of hard to pick at every tory MP without appearing partisan.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

Do they really have such busy schedules that this means the bill is now effectively shelved indefinitely though? Because that seems to be the implication. If I was the speaker I'd be giving them all detention so they can properly debate the bill and vote on their own time. I'm pretty sure loads of MPs don't turn up or are asleep a lot of the time. Can't they just say 'if you don't get all the intended business done in normal hours you can stay late'

I mean if I spent half an hour waffling in work instead of writing a report I don't just get to never bother doing it, I do my loving job and get it written by the deadline I'm given.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Robot Mil posted:

Do they really have such busy schedules that this means the bill is now effectively shelved indefinitely though? Because that seems to be the implication. If I was the speaker I'd be giving them all detention so they can properly debate the bill and vote on their own time. I'm pretty sure loads of MPs don't turn up or are asleep a lot of the time. Can't they just say 'if you don't get all the intended business done in normal hours you can stay late'

I mean if I spent half an hour waffling in work instead of writing a report I don't just get to never bother doing it, I do my loving job and get it written by the deadline I'm given.

While you may be forgiven for believing that MPs are literally children based on their behavior, who's going to tell them what they can and can't do as a collective body?

They literally make the law. The only person who could theoretically tell them what to do is the queen, which would be funny, but possibly constitutionally troublesome.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Depends, kind of hard to pick at every tory MP without appearing partisan.
It's not his fault if only the tories are being dicks about it.

He should be stopping anyone who tries to filibuster.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

OwlFancier posted:

While you may be forgiven for believing that MPs are literally children based on their behavior, who's going to tell them what they can and can't do as a collective body?

They literally make the law. The only person who could theoretically tell them what to do is the queen, which would be funny, but possibly constitutionally troublesome.

Maybe that's the way forward. Given most of the British public have some weird monarchy fetish, secretly replace the queen with a left-wing infiltrator, get her to block a Tory bill, then watch the Tories lose the next election when they dare to oppose her.

Bit troubling for the future under Queen Stalin II though I guess.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm imagining Liz coming through the door at quarter to 5 like a Headteacher into a room full of rowdy students and a sobbing substitute and how they all suddenly stop loving around and sit down quietly just to be told they're here until they finish their work, to which they reply with a really quiet 'Yes miss'.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Speaker speaks for the Queen surely, that's what Speaker means. *He* can tell them what to do.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

thespaceinvader posted:

The article I linked described a possé of MPs who viewed it as their job to torpedo these bills, as they view them as being emotionally driven rather than high quality legislation.

So, for example, the MP who filibustered the "free parking for carers" bill last week, did it because:

(i) it would introduce a new layer of NHS bureaucracy administering it, to see whether people without a parking ticket were actually qualifying carers
(ii) it would potentially require some way for the NHS to access the benefits database (it was provided to people claiming Carers' Allowance) - a new IT system?
(iii) there are plenty of other deserving cases for free hospital parking, so he thought it was arbitrary that only this one group got it
(iv) It didn't actually benefit all carers
(v) it was estimated to cost the NHS several million pounds to administer and
(vi) Hospitals can already choose to exempt carers should they wish under existing legislation.

None of that goes into the articles complaining about the filibuster (and it left a bad taste in my mouth too), but I think the NHS has better things to spend a few million quid on than allowing not all carers to park freely.

A far better strategy would be to emulate Scotland and Wales and allow free hospital parking funded by general taxation, thereby eliminating the bureaucracy.

Edit: Some quotes from the man himself:

quote:

Conservative MP Mr Davies said he was surprise at the criticism of his stance by Carers' Resource.

"This Bill was a con which would have made all carers think they were getting free hospital car parking - but would have left five out of six cheated," he said.

"I am surprised that Carers Resource was so supportive of a Bill that was so ill-thought through, which would have excluded five out of every six carers from receiving free hospital car parking and would have been virtually impossible for hospitals to administer.

"There is no law that forces carers to pay for hospital car parking and all hospitals can offer free parking for carers if they so choose – and some already do.

"Perhaps Carers Resource ought to encourage people to lobby their local hospital if they feel so strongly about it?

"I made clear in my speech the vital work that carers do and the Bills that I would support which would make a real difference to carers.

Share article

"There are far better ways to help all carers – which is something I am very keen to do – and I am very happy to meet up with Carers Resource and any carers in my constituency to see how that might be achieved."

quote:

After he [Eric Forth] died I vowed I would do the same kind of work,” he said in December. “He taught me that lots of these [bills] have all got a worthy sentiment behind them but you can’t pass legislation on the whim of a worthy sentiment because it affects people’s lives and livelihoods. I agree with him. It is a very unsatisfactory way to pass legislation.”

Prince John fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 6, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

The Speaker speaks for the Queen surely, that's what Speaker means. *He* can tell them what to do.

The position of speaker is supposed to keep order in the house but he's also sort of required to abide by the conventions or else they can unelect him, I think.

Whereas unelecting the queen would be an interesting prospect because she is literally the founding stone of the British Government, all authority stems from the monarch. Without the monarch, Parliament rules only by virtue of inertia. Which is entirely different to ruling because the queen says you can, I'm certain.

thespaceinvader posted:

It's not his fault if only the tories are being dicks about it.

He should be stopping anyone who tries to filibuster.

It's not his fault but he's already been the target of a plan to oust him on grounds of him not being nice to the tory party, so he may not want to try giving them an even better excuse to replace him with someone even more favorable to them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 6, 2015

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Prince John posted:

A far better strategy would be to emulate Scotland and Wales and allow free hospital parking funded by general taxation, thereby eliminating the bureaucracy.
I'd rather subsidise public transport to hospitals than parking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Coohoolin posted:

responsible fun

I think this is a stately horrible phrase. Plus, your not Oor Wullie.

• Locked thread