Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

moana posted:

I mean, according to every etiquette rule, you're not allowed to mention that you expect any kind of gift, let alone express a preference. The way to do this is to let your close friends and parents know that you'd prefer cash (or gifts off a registry) and let them spread the word when people inevitably ask about it, but sending out gift instructions with an invitation is crass.

Do you send out mass emails to your friends and acquaintances before Christmas or your birthday to let them know what kind of gifts you find acceptable? No - if they ask, you can certainly let them know what you might be hoping for or point them to an amazon wish list, but if they don't ask, you accept whatever they have to offer and be grateful for it. It's a freaking gift, not overtime pay. You don't get to dictate terms for generosity.

Every etiquette rule also states that you bring a gift to a wedding. I consider it wildly impolite to make me have to hunt down that information from friends and family of the couple, just as those friends and family members should consider having to relaying that information to dozens of people as an intrusion into their time. Everyone gets saved a bunch of time and misunderstandings are minimized if you say "couple is registered at Home Depot and Safeway" or "presentation preferred".

The pontiffs of politeness that are the old WASP ladies who dictate these rules don't seem to understand that things change and that there could possibly be cultural practices of others that could somehow be just as valid as theirs. Eastern Europeans have been pinning cash to the brides dress for decades. This probably seems scandalous to some, but it's what they do. It isn't wrong, it's different. And anyone who thinks it is their place to barge in and tell them they are boorish continentals for having different traditions should really just gently caress right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Mocking Bird posted:

You can also strongly imply your preference simply by not having a registry.

Whenever I'm invited to a wedding without a registry I buy the happy couple a horse, especially if they live in a Manhattan studio.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
my etiquette rule is "don't post about weddings in thsi topic ahhhghghgh"

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I don't get invited to weddings like you guys because I'm from a small mid-western town and almost all of my friends have been married since we were all dirt poor in our early twenties.

Another reason that living in the mid-west is good with money.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mocking Bird posted:

Talking about money/asking for money is crass is many cultures. It's also true that when in doubt, a gift of cash or something readily converted back to cash is always welcome. You don't need to request it.
Well there goes my plan to gift a bitcoins mining rig. Why give a man a fish when you can give him a pond instead?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Wedding chat is good with money because it makes me want to jump off a building and kill myself, then my husband will be able to pay off our house with my life insurance money.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 6, 2015

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
Wait, people under 50 actually give physical gifts instead of cash? All my friends and family who have gotten married had lived together for a while already and didn't need any junk. The registries are always full of useless crap like waffle irons and I figured they were just there to placate peoples moms. I can't remember anyone my age ever doing anything other than writing a check.

Background: late 20s white dude living in the northeast. This is based on about 10-15 weddings in the past 5yrs or so.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Can we please ban weddingchat in this thread already? It's by far the worst recurring derail full of high horses, humble brags, and overzealous judgement of others.

Even in a thread about judgement of others, it's just awful.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Make sure you buy an insurance policy with no exclusion for suicide :v:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I got married while riding atop twin stallions and then butchered them Dothraki style and served their steaming flesh to the reception party.

GWM GRRM

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Yes but how much do you tip the servers? Personally I think anything below 25% is just you being bad with people.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Omne posted:

We are doing something similar. We have been living together for several years and have zero desire to go on a registry and select a bunch of stuff we will likely never use (it's a cliche at this point for married couples to talk about how they have never used a large portion of their wedding gifts). No one has to provide a gift to me and my fiancee, but if they do, I would appreciate it if it was something useful like honeymoon money or something sentimental.

It's pretty crass to mention where you are registered on invitations. The expectation is that you would tell parents/people in the wedding, and people will ask, or just figure it out on their own. If you decide you don't want to register for anything, and setup a honeymoon fun, let your parents/friends circulate that information. That being said, I think lots of people may choose not to participate when they would buy you a gift. Lots of reasons for this, but lots of people just don't want to gently caress with some kickstarter type website. A lot of people like the idea of getting you something 'nice' like a piece of kitchen equipment that will last you a lifetime - like nice pans or a kitchenaid mixer. It also eliminates any folks that might prefer to make you something nice, or buy something that is really cool that is not on the list.

I would encourage you to only register stuff that you actually want, and if you want to do the honeymoon fund, feel free to do it. Discouraging people to bring gifts imho is pretty rude.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

I got married while riding atop twin stallions and then butchered them Dothraki style and served their steaming flesh to the reception party.

GWM GRRM

On-topic; mentions horses

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

n8r posted:

It's pretty crass to mention where you are registered on invitations. The expectation is that you would tell parents/people in the wedding, and people will ask, or just figure it out on their own. If you decide you don't want to register for anything, and setup a honeymoon fun, let your parents/friends circulate that information. That being said, I think lots of people may choose not to participate when they would buy you a gift. Lots of reasons for this, but lots of people just don't want to gently caress with some kickstarter type website. A lot of people like the idea of getting you something 'nice' like a piece of kitchen equipment that will last you a lifetime - like nice pans or a kitchenaid mixer. It also eliminates any folks that might prefer to make you something nice, or buy something that is really cool that is not on the list.

I would encourage you to only register stuff that you actually want, and if you want to do the honeymoon fund, feel free to do it. Discouraging people to bring gifts imho is pretty rude.

:wrongful: :wrongful:

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008
I know lots of people who are bad with money! Most of them are family.

My mom and her two siblings and seventeen cousins all received about 200K trust funds from their grandfather. He was rich and liked making grand gestures and this included his will. I always thought most of them were ridiculous for chewing through them with nothing to show for it. Like, we're talking 50 year old people who have never managed to hold down a job because between the trust fund and their parents, they've always been taken care of somehow? I don't know. Half of them aren't speaking to each other and one of them insists that he's a self-made man and I have a million stories from my mom about the family compound they all grew up on.

Until I read this thread, the fact that only six of them seem to be financially solvent and in a good position seemed low. How on earth could the rest of them be so foolish, I asked myself? My mom had her poo poo together and bought land with it, which maybe isn't the best investment, but it certainly has kept pace with inflation.

Then I read this thread, and I am surprised that so many actually ARE financially solvent at all.

Thanks, thread, for lowering my expectations.

(There is one of them who is a horse person. She is mostly breaking even, but would be in the "good choices" category if she were not a horse person. Being a farrier and blacksmith is cool as gently caress, but it does not make you much money even in places with tons of rich horse people.)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

canyoneer posted:

Update: She just sent out an email saying that the "birthday fairy came by" and now she's only charging $20 per person. What a bargain!

I had a former friend do this once, but she didn't let people know she was charging for admission until after everyone got there. She planned a dinner party then after dinner actually passed around a jar asking people to contribute money to pay for the meal because "food is expensive". It was really awkward and she was honestly puzzled when everyone declined every future invitation to any event she tried to host.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Antifreeze Head posted:

The pontiffs of politeness that are the old WASP ladies who dictate these rules don't seem to understand that things change and that there could possibly be cultural practices of others that could somehow be just as valid as theirs. Eastern Europeans have been pinning cash to the brides dress for decades.
Well, if you're in Rome, go ahead and Rome it up. If you're in the USA, please don't beg for cash from people you invite to enjoy your hospitality. Thanks.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

What do you mean, this method of only giving 1 gift but getting between 6 and 6*6 gifts in return is unsustainable? From a friend's Facebook feed yesterday:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Nocheez posted:

A church that doesn't pay for circumcisions is just a ripoff :v:

:stonk:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

SpelledBackwards posted:

What do you mean, this method of only giving 1 gift but getting between 6 and 6*6 gifts in return is unsustainable? From a friend's Facebook feed yesterday:

Yeah, I saw this one going around FB this week too.

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

Nocheez posted:

A church that doesn't pay for circumcisions is just a ripoff :v:

Yeah, well, just ripping it off is GWM because you don't need to buy a knife. Just do it sloooowly, or you risk tearing out the whole thing...

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

SpelledBackwards posted:

I don't get this. Is it a pyramid scheme for cheap crappy gifts, are you paying $10 for the info plus the gift?

fe: just saw your youtube link, so it is a pyramid scheme, but how, why...

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

IllegallySober posted:

Yeah, I saw this one going around FB this week too.

Same here. From the group of people involved in MLMs like tupperware and origami owl no less.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I've seen a ton of those pop up on my feed from my more gullible friends. Apart from it obviously not being a sustainable thing, why the gently caress would you want $360 worth of $10 gifts from random-rear end people?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It'd be a GWM way to cover all your base with relatives you're obligated to give gifts to but don't really like, I suppose

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

my etiquette rule is "don't post about weddings in thsi topic ahhhghghgh"

lol

also: a horse friend of mine finally saw the light :unsmith:

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 7, 2015

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I had a former friend do this once, but she didn't let people know she was charging for admission until after everyone got there. She planned a dinner party then after dinner actually passed around a jar asking people to contribute money to pay for the meal because "food is expensive". It was really awkward and she was honestly puzzled when everyone declined every future invitation to any event she tried to host.
This reminds me of an acquaintance who had her birthday at a restaurant. A few nondrinker young poor college students on one side of the table very visibly limiting their orders, a few older folks ordering expensive drinks on the other.

The check comes, and as people start to contribute "let's split everything evenly - it's too complicated otherwise!"

There are merits to most ways of splitting (and not splitting) the bill in different situations. Surprises, though, aren't good, especially when they're an obligation of paying 3x their dinner cost in drinks for someone else.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Whenever someone suggests that I call them a communist.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I don't understand people splitting the bill evenly. Most restaurant POS systems will allow the server to make individual bills nowadays, won't they?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sometimes you share things (apps, bottle of wine), some restaurants aren't keen on it (or won't do it correctly). Do you always ask for separate checks?

Mostly with friends we assume it works out in the long term. Living on a student budget raises the stakes, obviously, so being $15 off equitable may not be as tenable.

But if the poster thought it was unfair, I hope they said something! Not doing so seems BWM, perhaps by proxy.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

If I'm put in charge I just tend to add 10% to the group's bill for tips, round it up/down to something easy to divide, then tell people to pay the average, and add/subtract if they think that's not fair because they've gone for steak/just had a salad.

If anyone decides to keep tabs on their own spend and pay the exact amount, all that's affected is the waiter's tip which isn't really a problem because I don't live in the US v:shobon:v

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

On one hand I get it but I have to say, in practice I find the nickel and dime accounting of menu items irritating. There's often shared dishes and the difference is rarely that big. If I'm with friends then it's all going to average out in the long term, why do we have to sit here with pocket calculators to make sure you don't incidentally pay $26 for a $22 meal.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

On one hand I get it but I have to say, in practice I find the nickel and dime accounting of menu items irritating. There's often shared dishes and the difference is rarely that big. If I'm with friends then it's all going to average out in the long term, why do we have to sit here with pocket calculators to make sure you don't incidentally pay $26 for a $22 meal.

They're not talking about a difference of 4 bucks. It's the difference between what an employed person will order vs someone on a student budget.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It's the booze that's the problem. Maybe most people honestly believe it averages out in the long run, but I've seen people use group meal checks to avoid paying tips so I can totally see someone deliberately letting everyone else subsidize their top shelf cocktails.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

NancyPants posted:

They're not talking about a difference of 4 bucks. It's the difference between what an employed person will order vs someone on a student budget.
That large a discrepancy is pretty rare in my experience? Things are different if there's a large variance in budget but most outings aren't like that, at least for me :shrug:. With close friends we do it even less fine grained and have someone pay for the while meal, and generally the folks with more disposable income pick up the tab more often. If someone is really strapped I'd rather cover them wholesale than make them penny pinch on their entree choice. I'm only one person so my sample size is small, but there are plenty of people who demand itemization and in my observation it's not particularly correlated with income.

e: it's me, I'm derailing, I'm sorry...

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Less dining etiquette, more bad with money. Here's a reddit roundup.

Help I'm broke and can't find $5k that my dead Grandmother was supposed to give to me: https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3rzn37/i_have_5000_in_an_account_i_dont_know_of_how_can/

I'm addicted to online shopping: https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3s3kd4/i_need_someone_to_beat_some_sense_into_me_about/

Choice quote

quote:

It's gotten to the point where I'll blow a good 90% of my Friday paycheck on online shopping before the weekend is even over.

Some dude uses his personal checking account for his online business and unsurprisingly gets it shut down, flails around wildly in the comments: https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3s2sxi/why_no_one_should_use_ally_bank_they_shut_down/

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Barry posted:

Some dude uses his personal checking account for his online business and unsurprisingly gets it shut down, flails around wildly in the comments: https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3s2sxi/why_no_one_should_use_ally_bank_they_shut_down/

flailing around is an understatement holy poo poo

I see that he said his wife sells poo poo on Etsy, but I can't find if he mentions what he does for a living? He sounds like a real pleasure to work with.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Shutting down an account over that seems really lovely and I will certainly not use Ally bank if they pull stuff like that. Why the gently caress is it their business if I get paid irregularly? His wife selling stuff on etsy is a really bad reason to close someone's bank account.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Shutting down an account over that seems really lovely and I will certainly not use Ally bank if they pull stuff like that. Why the gently caress is it their business if I get paid irregularly? His wife selling stuff on etsy is a really bad reason to close someone's bank account.

It's pretty obviously against their terms of service. If you want to run a business, get a business checking account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Ally doesn't provide business accounts due to the government regulation requirements those accounts entail.

All banks do this. Others would just close the account and force you to open a business a count.

• Locked thread