Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Wrist Watch posted:

Every time I've had the worst luck with enemies spawning either directly on top of me,

There's a safe zone directly around the button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Wrist Watch posted:

It didn't help that this never happened on mediocre starts when I'm slugging it out with average items, only on runs where I get stuff like free item room proptosis or this because the game hates me:

what's wrong here? they don't stack with each other, so mushroom is better always.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

VineST posted:

what's wrong here? they don't stack with each other, so mushroom is better always.

not necessarily true: if you already have all the health, speed, and range you need, then the +0.5 damage from cricket's head is better than the +0.3 damage from magic mushroom

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think it's that the game's been feeding him garbage and now it's making him choose between two good items, although he has fear shot, meat cube and pentagram there so what's he complaining about.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
So, do the damage multiplying items give a one time bonus or is it a permanent modification to the damage modifier?

Like say I do 10 damage, get an item that multiplies my damage by 2x, then get an item that gives me 5 more damage. Is it (10 x 2) + 5 = 25 or (10 + 5) x 2 = 30?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

AnonSpore posted:

So, do the damage multiplying items give a one time bonus or is it a permanent modification to the damage modifier?

Like say I do 10 damage, get an item that multiplies my damage by 2x, then get an item that gives me 5 more damage. Is it (10 x 2) + 5 = 25 or (10 + 5) x 2 = 30?

It's a permanent multiplier.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

PantsBandit posted:

According to the wiki, it doesn't do either really. It basically just randomly changes your stats, either increasing or decreasing them. No max on increases, but a max of 3 decreases. Your stats can change in the following ways:

±1 Health.
±1 Damage.
±0.2 Speed.
±0.5 Range.
±0.5 Tears.
±0.2 Shot Speed.
±1 Luck.

So in theory you could have one stat increase, two stat decreases and two increases, etc etc

Wow, that's... For some reason, that annoys me even more than if it just shuffled your stats. Like, it makes the description seem like even more of a lie?

Honestly, I'd be really happy with if it it did what it said on the tin. Just adds a basic (normal pill) increase to all your stats, then takes those stats and shuffles them around to different places, presumably according to a percentile since I assume every stat isn't on a 1-12 scale like health.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Did troll bombs always take on the attributes of your own bombs or is that an Afterbirth thing (or a bug I just got)? I got hit a few times when troll bombs were dropping Mr. Mega-sized explosions today.

Also Lil Gurdy isn't a very good item, but it's definitely the funniest I've seen so far.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Lester Shy posted:

Did troll bombs always take on the attributes of your own bombs or is that an Afterbirth thing (or a bug I just got)? I got hit a few times when troll bombs were dropping Mr. Mega-sized explosions today.

Also Lil Gurdy isn't a very good item, but it's definitely the funniest I've seen so far.

I think they always have had at least homing (even the little ones that don't normally home) and Mr. Mega if you had them, but not other stuff like the fire bombs or poop bombs or what have you.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sad Troll Bombs would be pretty hilariously bullshit

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Augus posted:

Sad spoon bender max's body parasite troll bombs

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Augus posted:

Troll butt bombs.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Ed: I might be thinking of a different run. Ignore what was here

BTW Transcendent Tears are p. awesome

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

VineST posted:

No I got that part, although I took cricket's head since it's a bigger damage up with the multiplier, magic mushroom isn't a tears up anyway, and I personally don't like the size up from it.

The annoying part was getting such a nice start and then getting killed on the next floor by enemies spawning underneath me since neither floor's shop had a health up or soul hearts. It's just a steak of bad luck/poor play on my part is all

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 6, 2015

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

PantsBandit posted:

It's cool being in this early enough that there's still stuff out there that people don't know the purpose of. I picked up a trinket last night that is a red circle with a line through it. It's called "No!" with the flavor text "Never again!"

Someone on reddit said that it might give you a chance of not using a key, but that's already what the lockpick does so I don't think that's it.

edit: Oh I just looked it up on the wiki and apparently that's what it does after all? Weird.

Actually it apparently removes Spacebar items from your item pools for as long as you're holding it, as tested by a couple people here: https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/3rt8ln/i_think_i_know_what_the_no_trinket_does/

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Actually it apparently removes Spacebar items from your item pools for as long as you're holding it, as tested by a couple people here: https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/3rt8ln/i_think_i_know_what_the_no_trinket_does/

If that's the case then I will finally have a trinket that will make me consider dropping Cancer/Curved Horn. (the watch battery actually already gave me that)

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Speed! is a silly challenge. I got Ipecac, Small Rock, AND Cricket's Head on floor 1 and still barely made it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

AH!!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Wow that's actually pretty awesome then, especially for characters who already start with a good spacebar item(Isaac, Judas, Lillith, maybe The Lost, maybe Eden).

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
So, uh, don't use the card against humanity in greed mode until you're done pressing the button. Ugh.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

AnonSpore posted:

your stats are recalculated everytime you pick up an item, so item order never matters

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Guillotine on Lilith is entertaining :allears:

It also fucks with your sense of position less because you already fire off-centre tears

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

BJPaskoff posted:

Apparently Epic Fetus + Holy Mantle + 9 Lives + two orbitals isn't enough to get through the Hush fight. :(

If you're playing as The Lost, 9 lives and enough DMG is all you need.

That was still loving terrible and I will never do it again.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does the daily count for achievement progress/unlocking items/ect.

EDIT: What the gently caress why does brown Mega Fatty have so much health

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 7, 2015

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RatHat posted:

EDIT: What the gently caress why does brown Mega Fatty have so much health

because otherwise the game would be too easy, right?!

next patch: all the characters except eve and the lost have been removed

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does Chaos switch item pools with each other or does it just dump everything into one giant pool?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RatHat posted:

Does Chaos switch item pools with each other or does it just dump everything into one giant pool?

The latter. Unfortunately, if an item pool runs out, it causes Breakfasts to spawn a lot more often.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

eve is seriously awful at greed mode

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Another patch is up.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Manatee Cannon posted:

eve is seriously awful

A-greed.

She should not have ANY red hearts. She should start with two soul hearts A soul heart and a black heart, in that order, and the pentagram. Replace the lovely dead bird with any other familiar of its type, like the Revenge Fly.

She's not nearly strong enough, her lovely familiar might as well not exist, she's just loving awful, and yet she's mcmillen's favorite character (or so I remember)

Edit: Even if she's always at one health, then she just becomes a lovely Judas with a nonexistant familiar without anything to make her stand out, although whore of babylon is SUPPOSED to be doing that.

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 7, 2015

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
If I want to play a glass cannon character, I'll play Judas.

If I want to play a puzzle character where I'm incentivized to hurt myself and put myself in a low-health state as early as possible for better stats, I'll play as Lazarus.

If one of those characters didn't exist (like Lazarus back in OG Isaac) I'd be a bit closer to liking Eve, but as it stands she doesn't have anything really special going for her.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

DraconicImpulse posted:

Another patch is up.

yeah now my game freezes when I enter the shop in Greed Mode Womb yay

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Azazel is still not fixed. So better wait until the next patch to play him.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Would it really kill them to list some patch notes?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Well, they would, but then the community would like that, and they don't want the community to like them at all.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Manatee Cannon posted:

eve is seriously awful at greed mode

She's fine you just have to get rid of your red hearts and switch to a soul heart build. Hopefully you get a good Devil Deal or find a Guppy's Paw in the shop to get value for those containers.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Am I the only one who actually likes Eve? She loses her damage penalty while in Babylon mode, which means she has really high base damage and is really fast. Staying at 1 or less red hearts isn't that hard usually either since she has a higher than standard soul heart drop rate, unless that was changed from the flash version.
Admittedly getting screwed on curse of the blind floors sucks really bad.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Curse of the Tower plus Sad Bombs is an insanely good combo.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Einwand posted:

Am I the only one who actually likes Eve? She loses her damage penalty while in Babylon mode, which means she has really high base damage and is really fast. Staying at 1 or less red hearts isn't that hard usually either since she has a higher than standard soul heart drop rate, unless that was changed from the flash version.
Admittedly getting screwed on curse of the blind floors sucks really bad.

I like the strategy involved with maximizing Eve's power, kind of like Samson. I've had a lot of bad builds saved by some smart use of Whore and Bloody Lust. Samson is probably my favorite character after Eden, as I really can't help but get hit a lot of the time so at least I get something out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

This is Isaac. The team literally doesn't even know half of what they changed anyway.

And yeah Eve owns. Yall crazy.