Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

The Lord of Hats posted:

I like how Meng Hao's solution to problems invariably boils down to "THROW LOTS OF MONEY AND/OR FLYING SWORDS AT IT". He's just brute-forcing his way to enlightenment and it's great.

It's like, he's the only cultivator to realize the world's unfair, but that's fine, he can use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Oh my god, I just started reading Kung Fu and it is amazing. A modern wuxia story with the best old man ever.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Oh god, it has a movie trailer. This is going to be HILARIOUS.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ha ha, the latest rap alchemy battle in issth is just wonderful.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Cynic Jester posted:

Oh my god, I just started reading Kung Fu and it is amazing. A modern wuxia story with the best old man ever.

Okay, fair warning, the ending is a bit of a fart. Supposedly it's book 5 in a series, but everything up until the ending stands well on its own.

Jesus gently caress what a downer ending. What the christ

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 4, 2015

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Cripes some of these translations can be terrible. I'm reading Child of Light, and while it's readable, some parts it's really obvious that things are lost in translation. For example, the MC did something outrageously, causing everyone to stare at him dumbfounded. This phrase was translated as "looked at [him] foolishly". I don't even have the original text and I can figure this crap out. Either the translator is Chinese and have terrible English (which doesn't seem likely since he doesn't understand some of the idioms) or is just plain bad at English.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I've enjoyed going through the whole lot of Coiling Dragon up on Wuxiaworld. That's an impressively coherent world-story, though it got a bit repetitive when battle turned into a kind of triangle system and success depended on whether you did or didn't have certain artifacts. Still, I like how the story goes through multiple cycles of weak to strong over the course of a few millenia. There's obvious plot-armor and absurdly lucky power-ups, but at least the MC isn't always untouchable and had to rely on things other than strength every once in a while. Hows the rest of 'I Eat Tomatoes''s work? Anything to recommend in particular?

Against the Gods I'm pretty close to either dropping or moving to a...'let's see how bad this can get' category. The first rape power-up was dumb and aggravating, but apparently the author has decided that that's how he's gonna roll and moves full steam into a similar setup. From some comments I can glimpse that that's where Martial God Asura already went in the past so I'm probably gonna avoid that one pre-emptively.

ISSTH is still lotsa fun and I had kinda hoped Battle Through The Heavens would also scratch my alchemy itch, but there's not enough actual alchemy and way too much ATG-style combat.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Of IETs works that are translated in decent numbers, Desolate Era and Swallowed Star both have good translations and are easy reads. It's still rampant power fantasy though, but considering you read through Coiling Dragon, I doubt that's a problem. Douluo Dalu is also pretty good and in a similar vein to IETs works, with a good translation. The rest of IETs works don't have translations that are far along, so I can't really comment on them.

The Great Ruler I also like, mainly because the MC is somewhat self-aware in the vein of ISSTH, though it's not quite as good.

There's a bunch more reads, but these are the Xianxia stories that I feel have both good translations and comparatively decent content.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I drop any lovely wn if the protagonist rapes someone or acquires a slave that they don't immediately free. Otherwise, I generally keep reading them so long as they aren't boring.

I have very low standards.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Serious Frolicking posted:

I drop any lovely wn if the protagonist rapes someone or acquires a slave that they don't immediately free. Otherwise, I generally keep reading them so long as they aren't boring.

I have very low standards.

This is the light novel thread. We all have very low standards.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I never knew how much "write what you know" could backfire until I got into light novels.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fleve posted:

Against the Gods I'm pretty close to either dropping or moving to a...'let's see how bad this can get' category. The first rape power-up was dumb and aggravating, but apparently the author has decided that that's how he's gonna roll and moves full steam into a similar setup. From some comments I can glimpse that that's where Martial God Asura already went in the past so I'm probably gonna avoid that one pre-emptively.

Maybe you should not read the book with rape powerup s

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

*Goon reads about rape powerups*
Hmmm I wanna see where they're going with this.....

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

Namtab posted:

Sometimes when a woman is mortally crippled the only cure is Fiery Phoenix Dragon Yang Vital Seed

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I'm really bad at dropping something once I've started reading it. Like back when I read Moonlight Sculptor and meandered into volume 8.

If an author writes a bit that's utter poo poo, I still wouldn't mind as long it's not the default. Coiling Dragon had a godawful chapter that had the author wonder whether it's wrong or not for a (self-proclaimed loving, but also cheating) husband to murder the extra-marital children of your wife once she ran away from their abusive relationship and found a guy who was less of an rear end (and kill that guy too, of course), literally questioning 'Who was right? Who was wrong?', as if there was somehow a moral dilemma involved. Misogyny seems to be endemic to Chinese webnovels, but apart from a few moments Coiling Dragon was ok.

Other novels just seem to nosedive deep into the poo poo and then wallow there. I cannot understand how there are people actually defending any of that in comments.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I was reading that one "cosplayer in a Gold Cloth gets sent back to ancient China" story, quirked my brow when the MC decides to establish his credentials by murdering one of his own soldiers, and just left when his first reaction to getting bailed out of certain death by his presumed future love interest was to get aroused and leer like a creep.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Fleve posted:

Other novels just seem to nosedive deep into the poo poo and then wallow there. I cannot understand how there are people actually defending any of that in comments.
Yeah... IET, while he has some questionable chapters, usually almost never has really really creepy things that we are supposed to agree with about that.

What it does have, however, it 'fun stuff' like Linley befriending Dylin/Reigsm/that soul guy who mind raped his friends, etc. Oh, and also some of Linley's murder were very, very bad. Still, all of this is more of a 'monkeysphere' issue, and less of a 'It's normal to be a utter monster to your friends, let alone your enemies'.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what the hell is a monkeysphere?

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

what the hell is a monkeysphere?

The idea that primates and humans only have room in their heads to really care about a couple dozen people and everyone else is whatevs.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

Of IETs works that are translated in decent numbers, Desolate Era and Swallowed Star both have good translations and are easy reads. It's still rampant power fantasy though, but considering you read through Coiling Dragon, I doubt that's a problem. Douluo Dalu is also pretty good and in a similar vein to IETs works, with a good translation. The rest of IETs works don't have translations that are far along, so I can't really comment on them.

The Great Ruler I also like, mainly because the MC is somewhat self-aware in the vein of ISSTH, though it's not quite as good.

There's a bunch more reads, but these are the Xianxia stories that I feel have both good translations and comparatively decent content.

I've been enjoying Stellar Transformations for now. It's about 2/3rds of the way done being translated I believe, and pretty similar to his other works. Haven't read Swallowed Star yet, but I'm sure it's decent fluff reading like the rest.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

BlitzBlast posted:

I never knew how much "write what you know" could backfire until I got into light novels.

Holy poo poo, you're not kidding.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
This is the synopsis of the new LN Sky is translating to replace Overlord:

"On the front line of the war, there's a little girl. Blond hair, blue eyes and porcelain white skin, she commands the army with lisping voice. Her name is Tanya Degurechaff. But in reality, she is one of Japan's most elite salarymen, reborn as a little girl after angering a mysterious being X who calls himself "God." And this little girl, who prioritize over anything else efficiency and her own carrier, will become the most dangerous being amongst the sorcerers of the imperial army..."

:livintrope: :godwinning:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

rizzen posted:

I've been enjoying Stellar Transformations for now. It's about 2/3rds of the way done being translated I believe, and pretty similar to his other works. Haven't read Swallowed Star yet, but I'm sure it's decent fluff reading like the rest.

ST has changed translators super often though, so there are some parts that have a distinct dip in quality of translation.

Swallowed Star is alt history modern times military monster hunting with cultivation. The plot is basically the same as any cultivation WN but the setting is at least unique.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Vengarr posted:

This is the synopsis of the new LN Sky is translating to replace Overlord:

"On the front line of the war, there's a little girl. Blond hair, blue eyes and porcelain white skin, she commands the army with lisping voice. Her name is Tanya Degurechaff. But in reality, she is one of Japan's most elite salarymen, reborn as a little girl after angering a mysterious being X who calls himself "God." And this little girl, who prioritize over anything else efficiency and her own carrier, will become the most dangerous being amongst the sorcerers of the imperial army..."

:livintrope: :godwinning:

I gave up after reading the prologue chapter. Awful, just awful.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I gave up after reading the prologue chapter. Awful, just awful.

...Worse than Overlord?

edit: What the bloody mother of gently caress is that thing? Is that the new "I can't be arsed paying for an avatar, avatar?"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Blinks77 posted:

...Worse than Overlord?

edit: What the bloody mother of gently caress is that thing? Is that the new "I can't be arsed paying for an avatar, avatar?"

It made me want to punch the smug fucker who wrote it in the face.

Also, don't hate on bonzibuddy. He is your friend.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

Blinks77 posted:

...Worse than Overlord?

The first two chapters are so thick with the author's own philosophy that your eyes just glaze over and refuse to read the words. And the translation not very good either.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

filthychimp posted:

The first two chapters are so thick with the author's own philosophy that your eyes just glaze over and refuse to read the words. And the translation not very good either.

I read then and it was awful but I at least think it was portrayed at the character's philosophy. Not that it matters because I think it's already below my hilariously low standards.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Namtab posted:

As I have learned from plenty of TV(SVU especially), rape is an excellent way to introduce drama and severity into a character, without having to do much else. :suicide:

BlitzBlast posted:

I think you mean "I thought I would write what I know for a light novel but now it's backfired and I'm a 1000-year old ancient slime!?" or WaTaSliMe.

Fleve posted:

I'm really bad at dropping something once I've started reading it. Like back when I read Moonlight Sculptor and meandered into volume 8.

Oh no, does something bad happen in Moonlight Sculptor?(That is the one where the guy sells his character for big bucks right?)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nah, nothing sketchy. It just kind of drags.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Reading ARK is like reading someone's moonlight sculptor fanfiction at first too. I'm not even sure which one came out first because they just kind of filed off the serial numbers on the main characters... though they kind of diverge I guess.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Comic posted:

Reading ARK is like reading someone's moonlight sculptor fanfiction at first too. I'm not even sure which one came out first because they just kind of filed off the serial numbers on the main characters... though they kind of diverge I guess.

LMS came out first. I quit reading it when the translations turned to poo poo. Otherwise I probably would have continued. Low standards and all that.

ARK has that retarded "OH NO, WE CAN'T CONTROL THE GAME WE MADE. That is linked to an army of murder-robots. Whoops, theehee" subplot that made me drop it pretty hard.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Cynic Jester posted:

LMS came out first. I quit reading it when the translations turned to poo poo. Otherwise I probably would have continued. Low standards and all that.

ARK has that retarded "OH NO, WE CAN'T CONTROL THE GAME WE MADE. That is linked to an army of murder-robots. Whoops, theehee" subplot that made me drop it pretty hard.

I forgot all about that subplot, it got introduced and it like, never touched back on it as far as I've read it. I'll probably drop it when it rears its ugly head again. It's weird that I read either one of these when I have absolutely no investment in where the story goes. Reading light novels is like a screensaver for my mind I guess.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ark eventually got to be more boring than amusingly dumb, but I will never forget the amazing scene where he had to find a way to fight a heavily armored dude when the author completely forgot the fact that Ark had a move that could ignore defense.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Second chapter of the Honzuki manga is out now. Wonder if they'll keep up a weekly pace. No translations yet?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

darkgray posted:

Second chapter of the Honzuki manga is out now. Wonder if they'll keep up a weekly pace. No translations yet?

If someone wants to put together a decent scanlation team for this I'd happily translate it, but I'm not going to clean and typeset everything (to my extremely high standards) myself.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

blastron posted:

If someone wants to put together a decent scanlation team for this I'd happily translate it, but I'm not going to clean and typeset everything (to my extremely high standards) myself.

You must also translate the scrolling nico-nico text. There is no choice.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Postal Parcel posted:

You must also translate the scrolling nico-nico text. There is no choice.

/wrist

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I like how there's no sense of scale whatsoever in ISSTH. Everything is ludicrously gigantic, and the numbers of everything are ridiculously high, civilization has been going for precisely forever, and the world is downright littered with ancient loot and dungeons made by weird eccentrics. It's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

The Lord of Hats posted:

I like how there's no sense of scale whatsoever in ISSTH. Everything is ludicrously gigantic, and the numbers of everything are ridiculously high, civilization has been going for precisely forever, and the world is downright littered with ancient loot and dungeons made by weird eccentrics. It's fantastic.

Yeah, ISSTH has a real sense of the fantastical and I love it. It's also the only xianxia story I've been reading--what I've heard about other ones has made me disinclined to read them.

• Locked thread