Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I was actually going to post about lifting jams last night because I had an extra productive gym sesh.

For me, Hate never really clicked, but Holy War has felt way more consistent. I think, overall, TAIM is kinda boring, but they're heavy as hell and it helps with reps so.

I almost exclusively listen to "The Dot" by I Declare War when attempting deadlift PRs.

Black Tongue, Knocked Loose, Desolated, Beneath the Massacre, Nasty, and Code Orange all help round out my Gym playlist.

And of course The Acacia Strain's "The Impaler" is one of the best lifting songs ever. That and "Whale Shark."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

krustster posted:

Holy War sounds a lot like a For Today tape but with opposite lyrical themes. On the other hand, the new For Today tape is pretty rad and sounds a little different than before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ayvdtZJl0k

Broken Lens is my favorite off the new album by far. Going to see them on Sunday with Fit For A King, Gideon, Phinehas, and Silent Plant. Show's going to be brutal.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Dango Bango posted:

Broken Lens is my favorite off the new album by far. Going to see them on Sunday with Fit For A King, Gideon, Phinehas, and Silent Plant. Show's going to be brutal.

UUUUUUUUU Silent Planet is amazing. That whole lineup is a pretty hot selection of great jesuscore bands (nothing wrong with jesuscore).

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

krustster posted:

UUUUUUUUU Silent Planet is amazing. That whole lineup is a pretty hot selection of great jesuscore bands (nothing wrong with jesuscore).

Good to know. I totally dig The Night God Slept and can't wait to see them. FFAK is one of my favorite bands too.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
New After the Burial single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUNAX1UYeAE

Seems...pretty good? I've never really been a big after the burial fan, more so a fan of a few songs here or there on their albums. I like the guitars.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

New After the Burial single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUNAX1UYeAE

Seems...pretty good? I've never really been a big after the burial fan, more so a fan of a few songs here or there on their albums. I like the guitars.

I think their last album absolutely destroyed and they're usually super groovy but this new song is kind of awful. Just not very interesting at all to me.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

The Dirtyness posted:

I think their last album absolutely destroyed and they're usually super groovy but this new song is kind of awful. Just not very interesting at all to me.

I found their last album almost unlistenable simply because the mix/production was so bad on it. It makes Death is the only Mortal from Acacia Strain sound like some sort of triumph in sound engineering it's so bad.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

Dango Bango posted:

This tour was rad as hell. Saw it in St. Louis.

Also, I hope you got the chance to talk to some of the dudes. Ryan from FFAK and Garrett from Silent Planet are awesome guys. I've seen SP 6 times, and it's always a pleasure talking to them after the show.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

AmericanGeeksta posted:

This tour was rad as hell. Saw it in St. Louis.

Also, I hope you got the chance to talk to some of the dudes. Ryan from FFAK and Garrett from Silent Planet are awesome guys. I've seen SP 6 times, and it's always a pleasure talking to them after the show.

I have messaged back and forth with Ryan from FFAK on Facebook, but never had the chance to see them live until tonight. I'm so stoked to see them live. Definitely in my top 5 favorite bands right now.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
http://www.sikth.band/#!media/c12an

new song is...ok.

guitars are great, vocals questionable until the breakdown

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, they've been transitioning further away from their roots as a -core band with each album (with the latest release really cementing the change), but He Is Legend is trying to crowd fund their next album and I thought there might be some people in here that would care (*cough* Eight Is Legend *cough*). I'm probably going to go in for a t-shirt, at least.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/he-is-legend-new-album#/

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

XIII posted:

So, they've been transitioning further away from their roots as a -core band with each album (with the latest release really cementing the change), but He Is Legend is trying to crowd fund their next album and I thought there might be some people in here that would care (*cough* Eight Is Legend *cough*). I'm probably going to go in for a t-shirt, at least.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/he-is-legend-new-album#/

This is definitely relevant to my interests. And it's funny that they're using a song from their first album in the video considering the transition you mentioned.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Eight Is Legend posted:

This is definitely relevant to my interests. And it's funny that they're using a song from their first album in the video considering the transition you mentioned.

I thought the same thing, considering how much they've distanced themselves from their old stuff

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Saw Parkway Drive at El Corazon last night. Last time I saw them was in 08 along with Dillinger Escape Plan opening for Killswitch. My official stance is now screw the haters it was great. The new stuff was fun live, and the older stuff had the place all lit up.

Also El Corazon is a dive and a great place for metal shows, I'll be going back.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I dunno if they belong here or somewhere else but Dir en Grey are loving awesome live. Their current tour is pretty brief and I think partly sold out, but see them if you can.

Daughter
Jul 23, 2007

Quite A Tool posted:

Saw Parkway Drive at El Corazon last night. Last time I saw them was in 08 along with Dillinger Escape Plan opening for Killswitch. My official stance is now screw the haters it was great. The new stuff was fun live, and the older stuff had the place all lit up.

Also El Corazon is a dive and a great place for metal shows, I'll be going back.

El Corazon is awesome. Last time I was there I saw DEP, Trash Talk and Retox. It was great!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

muike posted:

http://www.sikth.band/#!media/c12an

new song is...ok.

guitars are great, vocals questionable until the breakdown

After multiple listens I'm quite liking this. It's not their best but it's pretty good. Reminds me a lot of Sanguine Seas.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah that was my first thought too. I hope it's not the standout best track on the disc but we'll see!!! I'm already like 90 bucks in!!!

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
So I'm watching The Acacia Strain, Fit for an Autopsy, Counterparts, and Kublai Khan this weekend. I've tried to get into TAS a few times but end up getting bored (seem like they'll be a lot of fun live though). Gonna give it at least one more try, what are some of their live staples/fan favorites? I've listened through a few of their albums but only really remember Coma Witch.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
New Killswitch is out in March. Hope it's good.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Chromatic posted:

New Killswitch is out in March. Hope it's good.

their last album was great, i thought howard leaving would be bad but they ended up putting out their best album since 04

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

ShoogaSlim posted:

I was actually going to post about lifting jams last night because I had an extra productive gym sesh.

For me, Hate never really clicked, but Holy War has felt way more consistent. I think, overall, TAIM is kinda boring, but they're heavy as hell and it helps with reps so.

I almost exclusively listen to "The Dot" by I Declare War when attempting deadlift PRs.

Black Tongue, Knocked Loose, Desolated, Beneath the Massacre, Nasty, and Code Orange all help round out my Gym playlist.

And of course The Acacia Strain's "The Impaler" is one of the best lifting songs ever. That and "Whale Shark."

First Blood's tape Silence is Betrayal has been my lifting go-to whenever i am in dire need of gains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHdeu-yCxDw

Heart of a Coward and Acacia Strain and Parkway Drive (the "real" albums) of course. Also the breakdown in this song is made from concentrated muscle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eFjdBE-DlA

If I were God we'd all be dead,,,,,

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Comedy band "The Hell" that I secretly genuinely like have a new album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LgCduTc15w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTK7fax6x8U

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

In addition to the other recommendations, while I'm not about the Jesuscore lyrical content there's some For Today jams way too wild not to lift weights to. Devastator, Fearless, Stand Defiant and Immortal are fire

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

In addition to the other recommendations, while I'm not about the Jesuscore lyrical content there's some For Today jams way too wild not to lift weights to. Devastator, Fearless, Stand Defiant and Immortal are fire

Broken Lens and Foundation live were absolute madness last Sunday. And that's after Fit For A King wore out the crowd.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

Dango Bango posted:

Broken Lens and Foundation live were absolute madness last Sunday. And that's after Fit For A King wore out the crowd.

I always feel bad for bands that play after FFAK. When I saw this tour, after they played I thought it couldn't get wilder, then For Today came on and wrecked everyone's faces. It was incredible.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

So I'm watching The Acacia Strain, Fit for an Autopsy, Counterparts, and Kublai Khan this weekend. I've tried to get into TAS a few times but end up getting bored (seem like they'll be a lot of fun live though). Gonna give it at least one more try, what are some of their live staples/fan favorites? I've listened through a few of their albums but only really remember Coma Witch.

I went to this show at the Heirloom, it was pretty good. Acacia was a little quieter than I hoped, but I liked the set. Got there later than I wanted due to work, so I caught the last of whoever played before Counterparts (I think FFAA).

Got Coma Witch and Death is the Only Mortal on Vinyl, super happy about that!

Also the singer from Acacia looks like a redneck serial killer and it's extremely fitting for the music.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 7, 2015

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

TheIllestVillain posted:

their last album was great, i thought howard leaving would be bad but they ended up putting out their best album since 04

Daylight Dies is def still my favorite. The songs were great and some of the best times of my life were spent with that record in heavy rotation.

Hope they expand their sound a little bit because it seems they've done everything they can possibly do with their current sound and it would suck if they became stale.

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

The Gasmask posted:

I went to this show at the Heirloom, it was pretty good. Acacia was a little quieter than I hoped, but I liked the set. Got there later than I wanted due to work, so I caught the last of whoever played before Counterparts (I think FFAA).

Got Coma Witch and Death is the Only Mortal on Vinyl, super happy about that!

Also the singer from Acacia looks like a redneck serial killer and it's extremely fitting for the music.

I have always thought Vince was very terrifying looking.

also i love how few fucks they give about music videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkkDo8Sywrk

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

the dad farm posted:

I have always thought Vince was very terrifying looking.

also i love how few fucks they give about music videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkkDo8Sywrk

He looks exactly like Eric Weirheim in that video, it's uncanny! He shaved his beard, which makes him look much more frightening.

E: they opened with Human Disaster, also did Observer, I think Bridgepainter, a few other songs off Coma Witch, and ended the show with a handful from the older albums. The Coma Witch vinyl has observer as the entirety of the second LP, it's pretty cool.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 7, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Double post, but I realized one of the things I really like about TAS (at least studio albums) is how spot on the guitar intonation is on the low strings. It's extremely hard to get that on an 8 due to how thick the strings are and the overtones, and it's why most bands using 8s do single note lines on anything below the 4th fret.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Relevant to both this comment and also bench pressing with the holy spirit, this band is wild and also this song features ya boy from FFAK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFcj66ZMuzY

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, the vocalist from Art Far Away, Adam, contacted me about some nice Internet words I said about the band and offered to send me the new EP (sadly, not a full LP). At loving slays and I'm so sad to see the band go. They're still finalizing the cover art and title, but the album will be free once it's finalized, so no one has an excuse to miss out on it.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Me too! :aaaaa: I'm sad it's an EP too, but it's so good to hear more material from them.

Speaking of new releases I've really enjoyed, the new Kardashev album is excellent. It's, like, post-deathcore or something, there's still heavy portions but lots of tremolo leads and reverb. It's gorgeous and if you like The Contortionist's early material you'll love it. Also, haven't listened to it yet, but Novelists finally put out a full-length and I loved their early singles so I hope this is on that level.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Gamma Nerd posted:

Me too! :aaaaa: I'm sad it's an EP too, but it's so good to hear more material from them.

Yo, Gamma, shoot me an email. I wanna talk Art Far Away for a second.

Deleted

XIII fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 8, 2015

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

The Gasmask posted:

E: they opened with Human Disaster, also did Observer, I think Bridgepainter, a few other songs off Coma Witch, and ended the show with a handful from the older albums. The Coma Witch vinyl has observer as the entirety of the second LP, it's pretty cool.

I've seen TAS at least a dozen times over the years. I always wind up wanting them to play poo poo that they never play. I want to hear Whale Shark, The Impaler (they have played this once or twice), Cthulhu (I'm so sick of Dr Doom, I find it to be the weakest inclusion in their live set, and it's been a part of it for a long time now), Seaward, and some other poo poo they never play.

Anyway, it's good to hear they play part of The Observer, it's a solid song. I also like when they throw Tactical Nuke into their set, as well.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Chromatic posted:

Daylight Dies is def still my favorite. The songs were great and some of the best times of my life were spent with that record in heavy rotation.

Hope they expand their sound a little bit because it seems they've done everything they can possibly do with their current sound and it would suck if they became stale.

honestly they could just put out another version of their sophomore album and i'd be happy, alive or just breathing is easily one the best metalcore albums ever

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

According to Jesse on some instagram post, he said they were working on introducing more prog elements into their sound. I could get behind that.

Jesse rambles a lot so who the hell knows.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Seeing Parkway Drive tonight :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Seeing Parkway Drive tonight :getin:

Jealous, they never come any where near me, it seems.