Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

It's the main reason I haven't done more work on The Mantizi. I've been through two mod rewrites with them and I'm tired of having to redo large portions of their code.

I think it would be encouraging If the chucklefish guys would lend a hand to some of the modders of the more popular mods, at least some help with updating or maybe a "dev teams choice". Something to remind modders that they aren't forgotten. Just an idea mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kea posted:

I think it would be encouraging If the chucklefish guys would lend a hand to some of the modders of the more popular mods, at least some help with updating or maybe a "dev teams choice". Something to remind modders that they aren't forgotten. Just an idea mind.

My favorite mod when I was actively playing way back was the one that fixed crops to grow when you were on other planets back when that was just broken instead of "working as intended+now you water them"

Vitreous Rumor
Oct 21, 2004

Kea posted:

Make a list of Chucklefish's favorite mods and modders then give them special treatment. Like blatant, actual special treatment; not just imaginary 'this guy talked to Supernorn once'. Then - and this is the important part of the plan - get confused when a petty and childish modding community absolutely eats itself alive trying to knock everybody else off the list. It's starbound to work perfectly!

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

EvilDrWong posted:

Make a list of Chucklefish's favorite mods and modders then give them special treatment. Like blatant, actual special treatment; not just imaginary 'this guy talked to Supernorn once'. Then - and this is the important part of the plan - get confused when a petty and childish modding community absolutely eats itself alive trying to knock everybody else off the list. It's starbound to work perfectly!

Didn't think of this, fair point could definitely go wrong, just have to look at the elder scrolls community to see that modding and huge entitlement complexes can often go together.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Fair warning: I haven't played the game in a couple months, so I don't actually know if any of this poo poo has happened already.

Give us banana bombs, sheep bombs, and other poo poo ripped off from worms. How about a tech where you fire a targeting laser and your ship sends down an orbital strike. Maybe it's a laser that carves through poo poo. Remote mines? RC plane bomb? Scouting drone? Make xray vision a tech so you can know where to mine. Or maybe if you build a dirt scanner, a fairly expensive but not crippling piece of equipment, it lets you see every tile underground. Then maybe mining might not be as much of a pain? Or an advanced surface scanner so when I'm in a system, I can get info for each planet such as "Apex lifeforms detected" or some poo poo. I dunno.

What if not all guns ran off energy, just laser type weapons? Those weapons could be a bit more powerful to make up for being pretty much gimped as opposed to a quick reload of guns and working off the same resource as your tech.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Basically they need to stop worrying so much about "balance", take the locks off all the randomization/fun stuff, and just let players go wild. I will gladly take "these enemies die too easily" over "all of the guns are the same and none of the cool features can be used because they're too strong".
We could have orbital strikes and banana bombs, or we could have block cooldown timers and slow backwards walking.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
I like osme of these ideas posted. Balance is, frankly, for a finished game, which this isn't. Might be an idea to move anyone trying to balance stuff onto content creation, get everything working in place THEN try and make sure guns suck still or whatever.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

"Okay."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
im the unshaded bag sprite from zelda 2

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

im babe magnet

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

im babe magnet

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

wow hey what a coincidence

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
my favourite talking heads album is a toss up between fear of music and remain in light, 77 has its moments but really shows its age

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Afraid of Audio posted:

my favourite talking heads album is a toss up between fear of music and remain in light, 77 has its moments but really shows its age

Do you like Huey Lewis and the news?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

It's odd they decided to make banana-face their news of the day and not whatever this horrible thing is.

Between him, the weird orb-man from the other day, and the 40-odd monsters they've shown so far it looks like they're really pushing for this unique enemy thing. Which is good, because samey random enemy generation was one of the larger complaints.

Maybe they're learning?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
In order to unlock the new unique monsters you must do a 24-step quest line that requires rare minerals and items every step of the way

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Met posted:

"Okay."

Do you actually get the wacky headgear as a reward? Is that what's in the bad-looking bag icon?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cicadas! posted:

It's odd they decided to make banana-face their news of the day and not whatever this horrible thing is.

Between him, the weird orb-man from the other day, and the 40-odd monsters they've shown so far it looks like they're really pushing for this unique enemy thing. Which is good, because samey random enemy generation was one of the larger complaints.

Maybe they're learning?

Dead to one hit of 11 damage. So a legitimate representation of gameplay.

Only devcheats gifs go on the main website, silly.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

For today's reminder that people on the Starbound forums are morons that no one should listen to, please consider a mod that makes farming even more of a pain in the rear end.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cicadas! posted:

For today's reminder that people on the Starbound forums are morons that no one should listen to, please consider a mod that makes farming even more of a pain in the rear end.

So close, and yet so far to something I'd want.

quote:

The Three (3) tweaks make the watering can water much faster, personally this is the most handy thing ever. The hoe is also made to hoe faster. And because it's really easy all crops also replant themselves when you harvest them.

Some actual good stuff... put besides "Crops grow twice as long, also you need rice to be in water because I think that looks cool".

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

he probably wants rice to grow in water since that's where it grows

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
I like what they have done with wiring so far, but really hope they put in more for fluids. The pump/switch systems they had in Terraria allowed for some interesting inventions. If they added a fluid pump as well as some sort of background piping, you could have a complete electrical and water system in game.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was weather changed sometime? A friend is looking for a forest planet with acid rain, which the Starbounder wiki says should be possible, but all of the ones he's finding have the exact same weather group. I decided to hop on and I'm seeing the same thing. Is the wiki out of date, or are non-standard weather types just really rare on the more "normal" planets?

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
I haven't seen acid rain on any forested planet. It may only exist now on higher risk planets such as poison ocean ones. You should be able to see what weather effects are present from the planetary summary screen when you click a planet.

Click through a couple radioactive systems and see what weather each planet has.

EDIT: also http://starbounder.org/Weather

lunatikfringe fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 11, 2015

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

Basically they need to stop worrying so much about "balance", take the locks off all the randomization/fun stuff, and just let players go wild. I will gladly take "these enemies die too easily" over "all of the guns are the same and none of the cool features can be used because they're too strong".
We could have orbital strikes and banana bombs, or we could have block cooldown timers and slow backwards walking.

Yeah, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. Terraria isn't fun because it's balanced, it's fun because once you've found your personal preference of "I WIN" buttons you've still got several hours of different looking/playing game to murder your way through - even if you don't feel like building a pretty house. People were originally excited for Starbound because the promise of a galaxy full of planets that get more hostile as you go was interpreted as Terraria-but-it-keeps-going instead of what it wound up being, which is... not that.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
When I last got into this game months ago, I was looking around for a mod to fix the slower backwards walking (the one in the OP says it's outdated even though I eventually found that it works fine), and the cesspit official forums all seemed to agree that this horrible feature was a necessity for balancing PvP. That's pretty much the only reason why it exists, according to popular consensus.

So my question is, if that's actually the case, then why the gently caress are they trying to make a balanced PvP game on top of everything else? Don't they have enough on their plate trying to make a building game that's also a combat platformer and also an ARPG and also a space exploration game? I'm not as hyperbolic as the rest of you about the game being completely terrible, but this seems nuts.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

lunatikfringe posted:

I haven't seen acid rain on any forested planet. It may only exist now on higher risk planets such as poison ocean ones. You should be able to see what weather effects are present from the planetary summary screen when you click a planet.

Click through a couple radioactive systems and see what weather each planet has.

EDIT: also http://starbounder.org/Weather

I know you can check from space, that's what we've been doing. The thing is, the forest biome page lists acid rain as a possibility there and nothing else on the wiki contradicts that, but all the forests we've seen have had the same weather. Hence me asking if anyone knew if it was changed or something and the wiki just wasn't updated.

Tangent, but why are the top tier Novakid pistols worse than the generic top tier pistol? Looking in-game the stats are different from what's listed there but still seem to be worse (the Novakid pistols now have a lower energy cost and faster RoF, but less damage, so they do less DPS and may well still run out of energy faster due to firing faster), which kind of sucks. Their unique thing is that they get guns instead of melee weapons, and in the end that amounts to "here are some guns that are worse than what everyone gets, but they have a neat reference for their names" (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly for the three different materials' pistols). Admittedly making the best guns Novakid-only would be bad, but making their unique stuff worse isn't good either.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Roland Jones posted:

Tangent, but why are the top tier Novakid pistols worse than the generic top tier pistol? Looking in-game the stats are different from what's listed there but still seem to be worse (the Novakid pistols now have a lower energy cost and faster RoF, but less damage, so they do less DPS and may well still run out of energy faster due to firing faster), which kind of sucks. Their unique thing is that they get guns instead of melee weapons, and in the end that amounts to "here are some guns that are worse than what everyone gets, but they have a neat reference for their names" (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly for the three different materials' pistols). Admittedly making the best guns Novakid-only would be bad, but making their unique stuff worse isn't good either.

If I had to apply any design reasoning behind it? So the kind of people who proclaim backwards walking needed for PvP balance don't complain Novakids are OP and the only valid race because their guns can kill even tier common enemies in 2.4 shots instead of 2.5 shots.

You know, if it was purposeful and not incidental.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Weird because nobody ever played this poo poo for the pvp.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fargin Icehole posted:

Weird because nobody ever played this poo poo for the pvp.

And yet they keep trying to balance around it :sigh:

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Section Z posted:

And yet they keep trying to balance around it :sigh:

To be fair, the game would do well as a Soldat-esque type multiplayer. They should finish the game first though and make any PVP dreams a reality as add-in content.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I think I just made the smallest possible human guard room (the chest and colony deed both take up one more vertical space than they look like):

E: Got it down to 6x7:

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 14, 2015

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

guards are paid to guard, not sleep

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Guards and merchants alike pay me for the right to live in my glorious slum bunker secure and cozy studio apartments, least I can let them do is catch some shuteye. Pay no attention to the fact that all these decorations were taken from a USCM Prison, I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

stop playing this game

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

buttcoinbrony posted:

Guards and merchants alike pay me for the right to live in my glorious slum bunker secure and cozy studio apartments, least I can let them do is catch some shuteye. Pay no attention to the fact that all these decorations were taken from a USCM Prison, I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

i know this is a sandbox game and there is no wrong way to play, but if there was, it would look like whatever it is you're spending your time doing

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Prop Wash posted:

i know this is a sandbox game and there is no wrong way to play, but if there was, it would look like whatever it is you're spending your time doing

The only winning move is not to play.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

i got really stoned and spent all day playing 2d slumlord

eventually i got bored and stopped playing starbound

see you guys in 2-3 years i guess

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

same but I didn't even get stoned...

Did anyone ever teach the devs the concept of "show don't tell?" When you start the game you can't go to radioactive planets, fire planets, or ice planets, because you'll die. There is no functional difference between any of these. You need an arbitrary suit upgrade to binarily have 100% protection from the element, or don't have it at all. Since Tiy seems to like invoking Nintendo games, I was thinking about how Metroid gives you the Varia Suit and you can now survive in really hot caverns, while your health drains slowly over time instead of just immediately incinerating you when you walk through the door. I hate how this system is just all or nothing and it doesn't even matter what the planets are labeled as, it could be evil nanomachines in the air or invisible alligators that float and chomp your head off if you're not wearing <arbitrary suit upgrade x, y, or z>.

I thought this game used to have a temperature system? this was taken out because.... ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Actually can we have invisible floating alligators as a planet hazard cause that sounds pretty cool tbh

• Locked thread