Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
Do murmur and bebop really count as onomatopoeias?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

HookShot posted:

the main character of the Blacklist is Raymond Reddington not Red Reddington (though his nickname is Red)

Yeah, they should have put quotes around Red.

Can't believe nobody got the Mark Twain or Monkey's Paw clues.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Officer Sandvich posted:

He said something like "nobody talks about you looking good" in his story about not wanting to have a dull story and for a second I thought the same thing as Soothing Vapors but it makes sense in context.

Joke's on him, his story was so uninteresting it wasn't even worth putting on YouTube to make fun of.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Officer Sandvich posted:

He said something like "nobody talks about you looking good" in his story about not wanting to have a dull story and for a second I thought the same thing as Soothing Vapors but it makes sense in context.

haha, my wife and I both thought he meant looking good physically. I see it now.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
What was the deal with the way Laura ended her sentences?

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

I'm pretty sure "Having Alex Trebek discuss your grandmother's sex life on national television" is a nightmare somebody has had.

I don't care how annoyed Twitter was with his folded arms, Mike didn't deserve that.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

What, no comment by anyone here on the strategic wagering in Final on the first match of the ToC yesterday? Catherine advances to the semis and it looks like both Vaughn and Dan are in good position to take two of the wildcard spots as well. Only caught the tail end of the episode, but it looked to be a very good game.

Greg, Brennan, and Kristen this episode tonight. All three are pretty good competitors, so we'll see who wins and if the others make enough for wildcard spots.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 10, 2015

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Do I want Brennan (who beat me) to get annihilated tonight, or to win the whole thing? The answer may surprise you click here to find out why.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Catherine is going to eventually get destroyed by someone if she keeps up the terrible low bets in the DDs.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

HookShot posted:

Catherine is going to eventually get destroyed by someone if she keeps up the terrible low bets in the DDs.

It kinda makes sense in the first round because of wild cards.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

It kinda makes sense in the first round because of wild cards.

Sort of, but she was so far behind on the DJ DDs that she got (IIRC she had like 4k and 6k when she hit the DDs) that she was risking finishing with way too little money to even come close to a wildcard.

Especially since she knew the answers to all three DDs, there was no guarantee she'd know anything about the FJ category.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

mennoknight posted:

Do I want Brennan (who beat me) to get annihilated tonight, or to win the whole thing? The answer may surprise you click here to find out why.

Well, I guess we'll see how he does tonight. Wild card, maybe?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I felt so good about getting that FJ answer right.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I feel pretty good about being ahead after the first round to the guy who's going to lose to Matt in the finals.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Colonial Air Force posted:

I felt so good about getting that FJ answer right.

I said Hoover, thinking there was an ironic twist.

mennoknight posted:

I feel pretty good about being ahead after the first round to the guy who's going to lose to Matt in the finals.

Him vs Matt would probably be the youngest TOC final ever.

Were you the dude he had breakfast with?

zakharov fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 11, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

Were you the dude he had breakfast with?

Looked it up on j-archive, and I think he was talking about the guy he beat, Darren Harris-Fein, who was apparently the alternate for the ToC since he's the next on the list. Pretty sure mennoknight wasn't in his first episode.

More strategic betting, more possible wild card slots there. Gonna be an interesting end of the week to see who gets to move on to the Quarters. Though maybe the next couple of games won't be as good, since the next one features Matt Jackson and neither of his opponents should be able to challenge him all that much from what I remember of them. Kerry Greene is on Thursday with the same comment about her opponents, and Friday seems to be the same with Alex Jacob. Willing to be proven wrong though.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

It was Darren. Darren took me and my wife and friend out for dinner that night (he was a sci-if scholar so we had some good chats). The show paid for breakfast, and Darren paid for my dinner so I guess I'm the real winner.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Matt Jackson still has it, and I don't care what anyone else thinks.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that final jeopardy was really bad.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

I had no chance. I don't really think of political correctness as "orthodox opinion."

:agreed:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I guessed Kool-Aid, forgetting that it was supposed to be an abbreviation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zakharov posted:

I had no chance. I don't really think of political correctness as "orthodox opinion."

exactly. it's one of the worst clues i've seen.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

mennoknight posted:

It was Darren. Darren took me and my wife and friend out for dinner that night (he was a sci-if scholar so we had some good chats). The show paid for breakfast, and Darren paid for my dinner so I guess I'm the real winner.

That was pretty nice. Did you go somewhere around the hotel or further out into LA? I ate once at the hotel restaurant for dinner, which was pretty good, but expensive. Wound up going to a Thai place in the open air mall down the street from the hotel for a couple of nights that we discovered by walking around and my aunt really liked. Also, her friends picked us up the last day we were there and we wound up going to Chinatown and Monterrey Park for dim sum and Korean BBQ for lunch and dinner respectively.

The hotel breakfast that we get for free was pretty decent as well, which is where I'm assuming Brendan and Darren ran into each other. I ran into another contestant who was a one and done and his wife at breakfast the next day as well, and we wound up talking about a Johnathan Latham book that we was reading, and popular literature in general. The day of the taping, also ran into another future fellow one and done at breakfast, in full Navy Class As, so I knew he was a contestant. Nice dude to talk to and get some nerves out beforehand.

Blargh, missed the episode. Guess Matt crushed like usual? Any chance for his competitors to make wild card spots?

Groovelord Neato posted:

zakharov posted:

Groovelord Neato posted:

exactly. it's one of the worst clues i've seen.

Yeesh, looking it up, I definitely agree...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 12, 2015

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Mister Kingdom posted:

It was extremely distracting and bizarre and I couldn't stop obsessing about it while watching, then I realized how brilliant that would be if it was intentional. If I were up there next to her I would be completely unable to pull an answer out of my brain. I couldn't even put two thoughts together sitting on my couch. It was so mind scrambling, I hope it was a brilliant bit of strategy and not some strange brain condition. She did win, after all.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

Jake Armitage posted:

It was extremely distracting and bizarre and I couldn't stop obsessing about it while watching, then I realized how brilliant that would be if it was intentional. If I were up there next to her I would be completely unable to pull an answer out of my brain. I couldn't even put two thoughts together sitting on my couch. It was so mind scrambling, I hope it was a brilliant bit of strategy and not some strange brain condition. She did win, after all.

Forgot to comment on this, but I noticed it too. Wasn't quite uptalk, but it was just about as annoying after a while, but since she won, we'll be seeing more of her after the ToC is over in a week and a half.

Speaking of the ToC, Greg is out of the wild card running. Too bad for him, I guess. I liked that guy.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
that was way too easy for a ToC FJ if they aren't even going to require the painting's real name

I don't know poo poo about art and I answered that before he finished reading the question

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I'm bummed Elliot is almost definitely out, he's entertaining. And yeah that was a cupcake FJ.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

that was way too easy for a ToC FJ if they aren't even going to require the painting's real name

I don't know poo poo about art and I answered that before he finished reading the question

zakharov posted:

And yeah that was a cupcake FJ.

I had no idea though. Not familiar with the painting or a lot of art that isn't the famous classical stuff in general, so that's a big hole in my knowledge.

Kerry Greene moves on, Andrew looks like he's in a great position for Wild Card, and alas, poor Elliot. He got great crowd heat though, and all of their contestant interviews were amusing as well. The outcome of today's game means that Kristen is bumped off of the list for Wild Cards. Too bad, I liked her.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

I had no idea though. Not familiar with the painting or a lot of art that isn't the famous classical stuff in general, so that's a big hole in my knowledge.

Never seen Bean?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

wa27 posted:

Never seen Bean?

Negative. That a movie I'm supposed to recognize or something?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GhostStalker posted:

i knew it but it's not really that easy. it's about the right difficulty.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Alex Jacob crushes like expected, and neither Scott Lord or Michael Bilow make the wild cards for the semifinals. So it's Andrew, Vaughn, Dan, and one more I'm forgetting as the Wild Cards. I'm excited to see the matchups the producers give us for the semis.

Also, while the poo poo that's current happening in Paris is tragic, I guess I can say that I'm glad that ABC didn't cut into the episode to bring a breaking news report on the situation until Jeopardy was over and WoF was slated to begin. Maybe that's because they French police didn't deal with the hostage situation and have reporting available until then, but I guess that's some really good timing. Does this make me a bad person for being glad that Jeopardy wasn't preempted?

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

GhostStalker posted:

Alex Jacob crushes like expected, and neither Scott Lord or Michael Bilow make the wild cards for the semifinals. So it's Andrew, Vaughn, Dan, and one more I'm forgetting as the Wild Cards. I'm excited to see the matchups the producers give us for the semis.

Also, while the poo poo that's current happening in Paris is tragic, I guess I can say that I'm glad that ABC didn't cut into the episode to bring a breaking news report on the situation until Jeopardy was over and WoF was slated to begin. Maybe that's because they French police didn't deal with the hostage situation and have reporting available until then, but I guess that's some really good timing. Does this make me a bad person for being glad that Jeopardy wasn't preempted?

John Schultz is the last wild card.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

GhostStalker posted:

Ours was. drat you 3:30 timeslot. :mad:

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

Ours was. drat you 3:30 timeslot. :mad:

They only cut out part of Double on my channel. Annoying, but at least I could see the parts that mattered.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Europa Universalis IV helped me answer tonight's FJ.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Like I'm not a trivia whiz or anything but there were some gimmes that everyone missed on in this last ep... bootcut and sphynx for two, and I think there was a third that's not coming to mind right now.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Another Hanseatic League FJ, another miss by me :(

I love Rhyme Time and would happily play a whole game of that and "Before and After"

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Europa Universalis IV helped me answer tonight's FJ.

Ditto, except it was an LP of it here that made it a lot easier for me.

Kerry Greene moves on after Dan made it a close match up until he missed Final. Oh well, now to see who else makes it into the finals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Alex had a funny FJ joke answer today. I love all his weird behavior even if he's always transparently trying to stall.