Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jia posted:

Yeah, references to real world things making their way to Midworld have been there since literally the first book. Why are the later ones so much more egregious?

in later books they become the entire basis for the plot, like the wolves of the calla which are portrayed on the book's cover and ad copy as some incredible threat, then end up being a stupid joke with a bunch of pop culture references. so it's stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

in later books they become the entire basis for the plot, like the wolves of the calla which are portrayed on the book's cover and ad copy as some incredible threat, then end up being a stupid joke with a bunch of pop culture references. so it's stupid.

I was incredibly disappointed.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Yeah, the dark tower starts to go downhill fast. But i am ok with it because the Meijis story is just about he best adventure/western thing Ive ever read.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3368274/stephen-kings-it-to-film-next-summer/

Seems like another film adaptation of a Stephen King book is going to be complete shite.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Dead Goon posted:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3368274/stephen-kings-it-to-film-next-summer/

Seems like another film adaptation of a Stephen King book is going to be complete shite.

What makes you think that, the director?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
11/22/63 might be good on TV, too bad it's on Hulu though. It's going to be 9 hours of shows:
http://io9.com/heres-your-first-look-at-james-franco-in-hulus-11-22-63-1739802243

Also, new King book out tomorrow. I don't know anything about it other than it is short stories and has some new ones, so not sure how many are older stories already published.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bazaar-Bad-Dreams-Stories/dp/1501111671

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

look up why the first director quit

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

In a perfect world, Fukunaga would still be on the project and it would be another miniseries on HBO and Tim Curry was 25 years younger. The actor they want for Pennywise, Will Poulter is such a weird choice, too young and goofy looking.

I haven't read any of King's short stories since the last collection came out so I'm really stoked on picking up Bazaar of Bad Dreams tomorrow. The title sounds like an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark though.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

WattsvilleBlues posted:

No, the fact that once again a Stephen King story is going to be stripped of its horror and suspense because why not?!

No Mummies or Werewolves!

Do any of these "Directors" actually read the books?

I abhor Stanley "Hack" Kubrick's The Shining for much the same reasons.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Movies shouldn't be word-for-word translations of their books, though; what would be the point of that?

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Dead Goon posted:

No, the fact that once again a Stephen King story is going to be stripped of its horror and suspense because why not?!

No Mummies or Werewolves!

Do any of these "Directors" actually read the books?

I abhor Stanley "Hack" Kubrick's The Shining for much the same reasons.

By what standard on Earth is Stanley Kubrick a hack and Stephen King not?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Time Dissolver posted:

By what standard on Earth is Stanley Kubrick a hack and Stephen King not?

Seriously wth

I guess watch the tv movie version that's faithful to the source :barf: but the interplay between Kubrick and King is amazing.

Literal early morning phone calls about the afterlife, car colors switched around out of spite/artistry, whole scenes changed around for nebulous reasons.

That movie has so much backstory it's ridiculous.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Kubrick's a ridiculously demanding director with probably more than his fair share of eccentricities, but that isn't at all the same thing as a hack. I can't even think of a definition of "hack" that could include things like Paths of Glory.

Seriously, the guy who did _Spartacus_ is a hack? What?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Safe Driver posted:

In a perfect world, Fukunaga would still be on the project and it would be another miniseries on HBO and Tim Curry was 25 years younger. The actor they want for Pennywise, Will Poulter is such a weird choice, too young and goofy looking.

I haven't read any of King's short stories since the last collection came out so I'm really stoked on picking up Bazaar of Bad Dreams tomorrow. The title sounds like an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark though.

I always like the short story collections because, unlike a lot of King's work, even if a story kind of sucks it's usually almost over. Plus, I like that he doesn't toil and overwrite the endings. Often his short stories just sort of end for no reason and they're usually the better for it.

I could see remaking "IT". The book was pretty great and the TV series wasted so much acting talent that it was criminal. I don't know enough about Poulter to have an opinio one way ore another but Curry is gonna be hard to top.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I always like the short story collections because, unlike a lot of King's work, even if a story kind of sucks it's usually almost over. Plus, I like that he doesn't toil and overwrite the endings. Often his short stories just sort of end for no reason and they're usually the better for it.

I could see remaking "IT". The book was pretty great and the TV series wasted so much acting talent that it was criminal. I don't know enough about Poulter to have an opinio one way ore another but Curry is gonna be hard to top.

This can't be said enough.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jia posted:

Movies shouldn't be word-for-word translations of their books, though; what would be the point of that?

No Country for Old Men worked out pretty well but by and large I agree with you.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The best thing a Stephen King movie can do is be a really good drama film first, and be a really excellent horror film second.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Phanatic posted:

Kubrick's a ridiculously demanding director with probably more than his fair share of eccentricities, but that isn't at all the same thing as a hack. I can't even think of a definition of "hack" that could include things like Paths of Glory.

Seriously, the guy who did _Spartacus_ is a hack? What?

Goons love to think famous directors are hacks. Kubrick, Spielberg, Ridley Scott? All hacks apparently.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Murphy Brownback posted:

Goons love to think famous directors are hacks. Kubrick, Spielberg, Ridley Scott? All hacks apparently.

They all have kinda questionable poo poo in their histories but amazing cinematography in between.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

No Country for Old Men worked out pretty well but by and large I agree with you.

While it was almost word for word they did cut a small subplot where Llewellyn picks up a hitchhiker near the end and she gets killed with him in the motel shootout.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

syscall girl posted:

Seriously wth

I guess watch the tv movie version that's faithful to the source :barf: but the interplay between Kubrick and King is amazing.

Literal early morning phone calls about the afterlife, car colors switched around out of spite/artistry, whole scenes changed around for nebulous reasons.

That movie has so much backstory it's ridiculous.

Is there a good documentary about this? I've already seen 237.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Is there a good documentary about this? I've already seen 237.

Kubrick's Gold Story is amazing.

The guy who made it is a nutter about gold but he makes some impressive observations nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoWZEwedPkc

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Shining is a pretty personal book and I can understand why King disliked the changes Kubrick made to it but The Shining as a film is honestly better than the book. It's just absurdly nihilistic compared to the book.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The Shining is a pretty personal book and I can understand why King disliked the changes Kubrick made to it but The Shining as a film is honestly better than the book. It's just absurdly nihilistic compared to the book.

It's hard to hate on The Shining, both the book and the film. Is it OK to like both? The movie is one of those where I'll usually stop and watch at least some of it every time it's on; like Goodfellas, JAWS, Lebowski, etc.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

It's hard to hate on The Shining, both the book and the film. Is it OK to like both? The movie is one of those where I'll usually stop and watch at least some of it every time it's on; like Goodfellas, JAWS, Lebowski, etc.

Yeah I don't see why you wouldn't think of it as two separate works by artists at the top of their respective games.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The book is a great book and the movie is a great movie, just because Stephen King is up his own butt about it doesn't mean the rest of us have to be.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I finished The Wind Through The Keyhole

I liked it. I loved being back in this universe.

I didn't understand the meaning of "the wind through the keyhole" I just thought it was SK trying to be deeper than he actually is

also did they ever explain why Tim's dad's partner killed Tim's dad. I guess just to steal his coin?

now reading Everything's Eventual. I finished Autopsy Room 4, That was cool I liked when the guy got a boner

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm gonna get Bazaar of Bad Dreams tomorrow. I'm excited :3: I don't think I've read a single SK short story since his last collection apart from "In The Tall Grass". So this book's contents are all new to me.

Has anyone read it yet?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've started it, I've only read the first story though. The only one in here that I've read before (I think) is Blockade Billy which I own a hard copy of so I'm looking forward to reading all of these too.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Audible delivered me the audiobook so I'm a few stories in. The first few have been published before but it was my first time with them. The funniest thing so far is that in his intro to MILE 81 he admits the first time he wrote the story (Which he lost) he was dropping acid. It explains so much.

I think even when the stories aren't great he's just able to draw characters well. 'Batman & Robin Have An Altercation' is a great example of that. It's drawn with enough detail that it could just be about a guy going around with his old man and it would be enough.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I'm making my way through Bazaar of Bad Dreams. I'm only a handful of stories in, but so far none of them have really left much of an impression on me. I liked A Death, but I read it earlier in the New Yorker. Still have quite a few left to go. Maybe it'll get turned around for me.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I started it last night after I finished The Causal Angel by Hannu Rajaniemi. I was bummed when I started Mile 81 and realized I'd already read it somewhere online (probably linked from this thread), so I did like any good King fan I just re-read the death scenes and the very end.

"Premium Harmony" was a head-scratcher. "Batman and Robin Have An Altercation" was good, if odd. Holy poo poo "The Dune" really got me. I won't say why, but it's really good.

I'll pick up with "Bad Little Kid" when I settle down to read tonight.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The best thing a Stephen King movie can do is be a really good drama film first, and be a really excellent horror film second.

The Shawshank Redemption is the best adaptation of a King story that exists.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

he tells an anecdote between the stories in bad dreams where he was at the grocery store and a lady comes up to him and is like "your stuff is too gross, you should make stuff with happy endings, like the shawshank redemption" and king goes "i wrote that too" and she goes "no you didnt" and walks away

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Followed by The Green Mile.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

scary ghost dog posted:

he tells an anecdote between the stories in bad dreams where he was at the grocery store and a lady comes up to him and is like "your stuff is too gross, you should make stuff with happy endings, like the shawshank redemption" and king goes "i wrote that too" and she goes "no you didnt" and walks away

And it's elephants all the way down sonny

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Well "Mile 81" loving sucked. Like, it was genuinely scary and gruesome, but it went literally nowhere and King farted out the shittiest ending I've read to any of his stories yet. I hope the rest of the collection is more satisfying than that.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Well "Mile 81" loving sucked. Like, it was genuinely scary and gruesome, but it went literally nowhere and King farted out the shittiest ending I've read to any of his stories yet. I hope the rest of the collection is more satisfying than that.

ya it was like the raft but he wasnt willing to go the places he used to go with the cast he had created

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Five stories in and every single one has taken unnecessary jabs at fat people. Never change, Steve!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

All jabs at fat people are necessary.