Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I just realized today that the alphabet song shares its melody with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. I'm 31. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

my cat is norris posted:

I just realized today that the alphabet song shares its melody with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. I'm 31. :downs:
It's also essentially the same melody as "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep".

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hirayuki posted:

It's also essentially the same melody as "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep".

Actually it's pretty different if you go beyond the first couple of bars! They just both use the pentatonic scale.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

That "Camus" is supposed to be pronounced "ka-moo". Now I can't take it seriously because I imagine it said the way Billy Connelly says "We're going to Peru!" in a Series of Unfortunate Events.

That's not how you pronounce Camus at all. This is how you're supposed to pronounce it, ⟨y⟩ in IPA. I guess English doesn't really have this sound.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Phlegmish posted:

That's not how you pronounce Camus at all. This is how you're supposed to pronounce it, ⟨y⟩ in IPA. I guess English doesn't really have this sound.

This is what I get for taking information from an old, English (as in, not French) dictionary using their own weird non-IPA pronunciation thing. :shobon:

E: I'm still going to associate him with Billy Connelly now over this one day of misconception. Thanks, Oxford.

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 16:57 on Nov 6, 2015

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Phlegmish posted:

Was trying to look up a word to use as an example & came across this: English has 12 vowel phonemes (sounds), French & German have 17, Spanish has 5. Danish tops the list with 32 :cool: :denmark:

http://www.eupedia.com/linguistics/number_of_phonemes_in_european_languages.shtml

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
"elameno" is not a letter in the alphabet.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds more like a gelato flavor.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

KillHour posted:

Sounds more like a gelato flavor.

I imagine it would taste like a blend of citrus flowers.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Goku breaks Nappa's back, paralysing him. That's why Nappa can't get up and Vegeta kills him. I always thought he was just really beat up or tired.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

MariusLecter posted:

"elameno" is not a letter in the alphabet.

I don't get it

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I don't get it

Say it out loud.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Monkey posted:

Say it out loud.

Goddamnit, I was pronouncing it like a latin loan-word with emphasis on the second syllable. eLAmeno. Sounded like a word that could exist.

I would spell it Elemmeno though.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

For some reason I was mentally juggling the letters in the word Babadook around in my head this morning, and discovered this:

BABADOOK - BOOK = ABAD

Which then becomes A BAD BOOK.

Rather clever, considering that a bad book features prominently in the movie.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

For some reason I was mentally juggling the letters in the word Babadook around in my head this morning, and discovered this:

BABADOOK - BOOK = ABAD

Babadook could also be sheepshit.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Try it!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

BABADOOK - BOOK = ABAD

Also Dada Book

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Nope. You have an extra D in there.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What the gently caress is going on? I swear that I read every part of this conversation already in a different thread, like, post for post. Next somebody is going to reply to that last post saying that it's a spoonerism, not an anagram.

flavor.flv has a new favorite as of 04:59 on Nov 7, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It's a spoonerism, not an anagram.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

THIS IS SOME TWILIGHT ZONE poo poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Zwilight Tone poo poo?

That doesn't make sense.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

It's also a bad movie.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

What the gently caress is going on? I swear that I read every part of this conversation already in a different thread, like, post for post. Next somebody is going to reply to that last post saying that it's a spoonerism, not an anagram.

I was thinking the same thing. It was weird. I think it's from way earlier in this thread though.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Frostwerks posted:

It's a spoonerism, not an anagram.

That's not what a spoonerisms is either.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Tiggum posted:

The vowel sound in "butt" is clearly pronounced but in "but" it's de-emphasised and the whole word is rushed over. If you were taking care to pronounce it clearly they'd sound the same, but in the normal way people speak they're different.

God drat, you are the most insufferable sperg on the internet. Stop making GBS threads up every thread with your pedantry. No one gives a flying gently caress what you have to say.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SwissDonkey posted:

God drat, you are the most insufferable sperg on the internet. Stop making GBS threads up every thread with your pedantry. No one gives a flying gently caress what you have to say.

Under this post you'll see a button labelled "profile". Click it. Scroll down till you see a button marked "Add user to your ignore list". Click it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

SwissDonkey posted:

I'd rather read a thousand Tiggum posts than read another failed call out by some rando poster acting like they're the voice of the forums.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

This is what I get for taking information from an old, English (as in, not French) dictionary using their own weird non-IPA pronunciation thing. :shobon:

You knew not to pronounce the s, so you were on the right track.

Next time you're in a discussion with your French philosopher friends, they will be very impressed.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

I'd rather read a thousand Tiggum posts than read another failed call out by some rando poster acting like they're the voice of the forums.

Forums Superstar Captain Monkey has his knickers in a twist.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So apparently Benedict Cumberbatch is a real person and not a fake name used to mock British people.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Mods, please change my name to Bumblesnuff Cabbagewank. TIA.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Genteel =/= gentile

:eng99:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Bendydick Cuminbutts

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
Oh gently caress here we go with the Cumberbatch lolfunnienamez derail.

I just found out I missed out on backing the Isiah Whitlock Jr. bobblehead a few months ago. Though I can preorder future editions...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not how this thread works.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I think I have figured out at least five times that "Fight Song" is by someone named Rachel Platten and not Katy Perry.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Captain Monkey posted:

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
The phrase, "bet your bottom dollar" means to bet the last of your money, and has nothing to do with your rear end.