Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The metro datavac duster is fantastic, but you do have to plug it in. People I know who've bought rechargeable ones have always wound up kinda disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

powderific posted:

The metro datavac duster is fantastic, but you do have to plug it in. People I know who've bought rechargeable ones have always wound up kinda disappointed.

I wondered about that. I'm fine with corded models, just wondered if there was a battery powered model that people liked. The Metro looks good, think I'll pick one up.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I have a Metro Datavac duster. It's loud as gently caress but it works freaking great.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

0toShifty posted:

I have a Metro Datavac duster. It's loud as gently caress but it works freaking great.

If it scares the cats as well as the canned stuff, I'll be happy.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Those are amazing. Do Not Aim At Face! Wear Eye Protection! are seriously not a joke, it is really potent.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd love a canned-air sized container that I could just refill from my compressor.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd love a canned-air sized container that I could just refill from my compressor.

http://gizmodo.com/5992758/hack-a-can-of-compressed-air-so-its-refillable

:v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

You could use a paintball c02 or compressed air tank, and engineer your own fill station and blasting nozzle using off the shelf parts, but i don't know how much air you could get into a tank that size with a consumer compressor.

http://www.hustlepaintball.com/Guerrilla-Air-20-oz-CO2-Tank

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I have one of these things: http://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Refi...rds=aerosol+can

It's a refillable aerosol can that can be filled to 90psi with a tire valve. It's not nearly as strong as the typical can-o-air though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Powershift posted:

You could use a paintball c02 or compressed air tank, and engineer your own fill station and blasting nozzle using off the shelf parts, but i don't know how much air you could get into a tank that size with a consumer compressor.

http://www.hustlepaintball.com/Guerrilla-Air-20-oz-CO2-Tank

Seconding this, back when I was into paintball I bought a screw on sprayer attachment that attached to a high pressure air tank. Only problem was most HPA tanks have fixed regulators that output 400 or 800 PSI so it would be a bit hard to control.

Filling it yourself is pretty much out of the question though...on the low end a high pressure air tank fills at 3k PSI, and a filling station is upwards of $1000 and still requires a compressed air source to work - the shop I used to go to filled a cluster of 4 full size welding bottles with a gas powered air compressor and ran their filling station off of them. Alternatively you can also fill from a scuba bottle if you have a dive shop nearby, but you'll never actually fill the smaller tank with this method.

I've been out of it for about a decade but HPA fills are relatively cheap, you'd probably spend about the same or less on a tank refill as you would on a pack of 3 disposable duster cans, and you wouldn't have to deal with bitterant or blasting liquid after using it for too long.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 2, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone recommend a set of NARROW feeler gauges at a reasonable price? I'm talking <.5" wide. Looking for .08mm -> .3mm range.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

El Jebus posted:

Is there a recommended electric compressed air system? Something like the cans of air duster but in a convenient rechargeable battery system a la makita/Bosch/whatever?

Here's the makita cordless "air dusters" http://makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/Default.aspx?CatID=81

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hmmm, we discard 1L steel bottles of CO2 all the time from the water dispensers at work.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone recommend a set of NARROW feeler gauges at a reasonable price? I'm talking <.5" wide. Looking for .08mm -> .3mm range.

IIRC the sets autozone sells fit that width requirement.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

powderific posted:

This. It is loud as gently caress, which is great when you don't want to talk to people.
But it blasts dust hard and indiscriminately, so if you have a particularly dusty computer, it's best used outside.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kastein posted:

IIRC the sets autozone sells fit that width requirement.

Great, thank you. :)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Disposable welding gas canister?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I got an old breathing air tank about the size of a 2 liter bottle, i'm going to rig it up hopefully this weekend and see how it works. it was certified 5000 psi 15 years ago, so i can't imagine it would be too dangerous to try it with 150 psi today. I'll report back.

If i had to guess based on the air that was already in it, i can't imagine it will work as a duster for more than about a minute per charge.

all hail free tools.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 7, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

What's the general AI opinion on torque sticks? There's a place nearby where they let you rent a lift and tools and work on your car yourself, with a minder to get you tools you need and do fancy stuff like getting tires on and off rims as needed or whatever. I was just there for a tire swap (plenty of tread :argh: dry rotted sidewalls up front and a bubble in back) and when I was putting the new ones back onto the car I tried to use a torque wrench but that just turned the wheels without getting the nuts tight. Dude gave me an impact wrench and this thing he called a torque stick, said it's only good for putting wheels on, not taking them off, and only if you use the air gun, but what I thought sounded supremely fucky was he swore you could wail on it all day with the impact wrench and it'd never get over (in my case) 140 lb-ft. Looked up how they work and they're made of spring steel so that actually seems plausible. So how soon is a wheel gonna go liberate itself?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Torque sticks are fine. Once they reach their breakover torque, they just ratchet and no longer impart force to the fastener.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
They ratchet? I always just thought that they acted like a spring, softening the impact beyond a certain torque.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Torque sticks work fine if you turn your impact wrench down to the appropriate setting. They work by basically functioning as a torsion spring, so whenever the hammer inside the impact wrench hits the anvil, it absorbs part of the force, and transmits only the amount you want into the fastener you are trying to tighten. If you run your impact full throttle, the spring effect doesn't happen, and you can still overtorque.

Many professional shops use a torque stick to run lug nuts down, drop the car off the lift, then use a click-type torque wrench (usually a permanently set one, not adjustable) to confirm the final torque.

If you don't have a torque stick, and don't wanna risk overtorqueing by just using the impact alone, tighten the lugnuts by hand, then lower the car down so that the tires just touch the ground, but most of the weight is still supported by the lift. Torque as normal with your click type.

Other notes:
- Don't put anti-seize on your lug threads. Torque ratings are for clean, dry threads. If you're having problems with rust, get some plastic caps or hubcaps or something.
- Torque them in a star pattern for even tension. On a lot of cars you can accidentally attach the wheel to the hub crooked if you aren't paying attention.
- If you have custom rimzzzzzz :homebrew:, watch out for the plastic spacers that go in between your hub and wheel. Sometimes they get stuck on the hub, and people try to put another wheel (like a spare) on top. This usually doesn't end well.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Dannywilson posted:

Torque sticks are fine. Once they reach their breakover torque, they just ratchet and no longer impart force to the fastener.
The one I was using was just a single solid hunk of metal painted turquoise to match the torque level or whatever, I didn't see any ratchet mechanism or anything else other than just plain metal and paint. It looked pretty beefy which would make sense for 140 lb-ft, dude working there said ones for lighter loads can get pretty dinky looking.

MRC48B posted:

Torque sticks work fine if you turn your impact wrench down to the appropriate setting. They work by basically functioning as a torsion spring, so whenever the hammer inside the impact wrench hits the anvil, it absorbs part of the force, and transmits only the amount you want into the fastener you are trying to tighten. If you run your impact full throttle, the spring effect doesn't happen, and you can still overtorque.

Many professional shops use a torque stick to run lug nuts down, drop the car off the lift, then use a click-type torque wrench (usually a permanently set one, not adjustable) to confirm the final torque.
I tried to be conservative with it, stopping whenever the nut seemed to not move anymore, then I took it off the lift completely and let the full weight onto the tires, and went over them all once more real quick. Having googled how torque sticks work I figured it was reasonable to expect that at the very least I wouldn't have overtorqued them as much as if I'd only used the impact wrench and nothing else. Still don't really trust them fully, seems too simple and the name sounds a whole lot like fuckstick, plus there were some posts in the mechanical failures thread about shops that break poo poo by paying zero attention to torque spec and just letting loose with the impact wrench. As for the pattern, I took a glance in the owner's manual, it wasn't exactly a star but more like a couple of offset squares just because these were 8 lug wheels. Top, bottom, right, left, repeat at 45-degree offset.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 7, 2015

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Friar Zucchini posted:

As for the pattern, I took a glance in the owner's manual, it wasn't exactly a star but more like a couple of offset squares just because these were 8 lug wheels. Top, bottom, right, left, repeat at 45-degree offset.

That's a star pattern :ssh:

Even when tightening by hand, I've always tightened them up that way anyways.

For content, I just picked up some pigskin thermal lined kinco gloves for the cold weather, and gently caress me these are excellent--best gloves I've ever owned. Highly recommend if you're on the lookout for winter work gloves.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 4, 2020

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Friar Zucchini posted:

what I thought sounded supremely fucky was he swore you could wail on it all day with the impact wrench and it'd never get over (in my case) 140 lb-ft.

This is generally true but the big caveat is that if you use a gun with high impacts per minute (like in the 3,000 range) you will slowly torque past the stick's rating. I think it's because the high number of impacts don't give the stick enough time to spring back.

Most air guns are like 1k IPM, electrics are around the 3k mark so that's where you get people saying 'never use torque sticks with electric impacts'. Though recently I've seen some compact air impacts that are pushing their IPM higher.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Of all the shops I've seen, even if they use torque sticks, they still torque them with a wrench once the car is off the lift.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
We always use a 50ft-lbs stick at work, just to snug the lug down. I zap it until the lug hits the mating surface, then do the final torque with the torque wrench. I always have to yell at the new guys though, they like to bapbapbapbap away with the torque stick, like they're afraid the wheel is gonna fall off when you set the car back down.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Xy Hapu posted:

This is generally true but the big caveat is that if you use a gun with high impacts per minute (like in the 3,000 range) you will slowly torque past the stick's rating. I think it's because the high number of impacts don't give the stick enough time to spring back.

Most air guns are like 1k IPM, electrics are around the 3k mark so that's where you get people saying 'never use torque sticks with electric impacts'. Though recently I've seen some compact air impacts that are pushing their IPM higher.

I solely use an electric impact at work - I don't use a torque stick with it. I just run the nuts down with it till it baps once or twice, and then lower the car just to the ground and put the final torque on with the torque wrench.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

MRC48B posted:

- Don't put anti-seize on your lug threads. Torque ratings are for clean, dry threads.

The product literature will generally mention how much to modify your torque figures for equivalent stretch. 20% less torque is pretty common.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

0toShifty posted:

I solely use an electric impact at work - I don't use a torque stick with it. I just run the nuts down with it till it baps once or twice, and then lower the car just to the ground and put the final torque on with the torque wrench.

I've got an electric at home and this is what I've always done. Start by hand, zip it in with the gun and finger off the trigger before it contacts the wheel. It will usually give a couple clicks and I'll move on to the next nut. I've thought about picking up a stick, but I realize that I'd just end up checking them with a torque wrench anyway so why waste the money.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Using a mig welder to remove damaged screws and bolts feels so badass.

From the frustration of cheesing off a carburetor screw head and worrying about torches, drills and penetrating fluids, to then just dropping a spare nut on top, filling the center with weld and spinning the cherry-hot core out with the lightest pressure --it's an emotional triumph.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

eddiewalker posted:

Using a mig welder to remove damaged screws and bolts feels so badass.

From the frustration of cheesing off a carburetor screw head and worrying about torches, drills and penetrating fluids, to then just dropping a spare nut on top, filling the center with weld and spinning the cherry-hot core out with the lightest pressure --it's an emotional triumph.

Funny story... I told a friend to weld a nut to the head of a bolt that had been rounded off, so he could use a wrench to get it off.
He somehow managed to blow the head clean off and weld the bolt in the hole.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

More amps is better, right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, it didn't fuckin work.

Aired it up to 100 psi. the smallest tip i've got for the blow gun is about 3mm, it spits out air for about 15 seconds. only the first 5 seconds or so is usable. once i get the big compressor fixed, i'll narrow the tip down to a needle and run it up to 200 psi but it just doesn't seem like you can get enough air in with a regular compressor to make it a viable idea.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If you could get a small refillable CO2 tank, the CO2 lives inside the tank as a liquid that boils off to maintain something like a constant 800psi. It's nothing you could fill up at home, but you could get it recharged for a few bucks every now and then at a gas supplier.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

If you could get a small refillable CO2 tank, the CO2 lives inside the tank as a liquid that boils off to maintain something like a constant 800psi. It's nothing you could fill up at home, but you could get it recharged for a few bucks every now and then at a gas supplier.

Yeah, but that would defeat the purpose of the whole experiment, which was free, on demand canned air. If you gotta drive somewhere and pay for it, you might as well just get the disposable cans.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but that would defeat the purpose of the whole experiment, which was free, on demand canned air. If you gotta drive somewhere and pay for it, you might as well just get the disposable cans.

If you can find a second hand CO2 tank, you'll probably save a few bucks in aggregate vs buying canned air. Also, less waste!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If you're really using that much canned air at a desk or on a bench why not just grab a little compressor made for airbrushes? http://www.harborfreight.com/1-6-hp-40-psi-oilless-airbrush-compressor-93657.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Safety Dance posted:

If you can find a second hand CO2 tank, you'll probably save a few bucks in aggregate vs buying canned air. Also, less waste!

Worth noting that the Metro Datavac brought up earlier costs the same as 4 cans of compressed air. Also, less waste! :razz: