Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

A cool drat horse posted:

I'm ready for pokemon super mystery dungeon to be an epic gaming experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Dumb question about my OG 3DS, but is the process same for SD cards as the N3DS?

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Looking forward to some Yokai Watch impressions here. The little bit of the combat I saw made it seem pretty trivial and uninteresting. But Pokemon doesn't seem terribly deep at first glance so it's hard to tell.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Violet_Sky posted:

Dumb question about my OG 3DS, but is the process same for SD cards as the N3DS?

Yes, just that you will need to copy your stuff to a microSD if you're upgrading to N3DS.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

enojy posted:

It has 3 save slots, but they're for 3 different people/characters. Saving the game automatically saves to the slot you start the game with. Pretty sure it saves to the cart, too.

Sweet, thanks. I'll snag a copy this afternoon.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

ddogflex posted:

1) set cart on one end of 3DS.
2) place the 3DS on the edge of a table, with the opposite end of the 3DS hanging over the edge.
3) jump on the end of the 3DS as if it were a teeter-totter that you're trying to launch a smaller kid off of.

Time works the same way.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This doesn't happen, stop lying

I wish this happened.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This doesn't happen, stop lying

It happened to me, with Super Mario 3D Land. Except I ejected the cartridge first and used my right hand to throw it across the room because gently caress Shadow Mario and gently caress pitfalls and gently caress Shadow Mario showing up in stages with pitfalls.

DisposableHero posted:

Looking forward to some Yokai Watch impressions here. The little bit of the combat I saw made it seem pretty trivial and uninteresting. But Pokemon doesn't seem terribly deep at first glance so it's hard to tell.

It develops into more than just watching your youkai auto-battle the enemy by the time you get to the first boss, which is a few hours in. By that time, you've got to be strategizing by pairing like-themed youkai, using healing/buff items, rotating your front/back party wheel to minimize damage and purify cursed party members, target specific weak youkai/boss weak spots, save and use appropriate Soultimate moves at the right time or on the right enemy, pin floating bonus items that occasionally fly by on the top screen... A lot of stuff can go on, but it hasn't yet felt overwhelming, just fun and involving. A lot of people have been saying the demo didn't do the game's combat any favors, and they're right. You can get away with just auto-attack snoozing through the first few quests, but I doubt it would get you very far beyond the first boss.

enojy fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 7, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Heads up for PAL people who didn't notice: there's a demo for GOTY New Style Boutique 2 on the eShop, complete with online features.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We still don't have Dream Boyfriend mode outside of Japan.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I got Streets of Rage 2. Sick game, but I have 1 life and no continues left on level 6. I don't really want to start over, is there a way to get extra lives or something?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i feel like theres an option to turn on unlimited continues or something but im not with my 3ds to check

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

African AIDS cum posted:

I got Streets of Rage 2. Sick game, but I have 1 life and no continues left on level 6. I don't really want to start over, is there a way to get extra lives or something?

Check built in guide or google?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Junkie Disease posted:

Check built in guide or google?

Explain

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

DisposableHero posted:

It turns out your soultimate moves aren't always available and don't always one shot everything so that really changes how the combat feels. There's different types with synergies and elements, passive abilities, autocast abilities and random debuff procs. It's hard to tell how deep everything is because the info doesn't seem to be out there and as organized as say, Pokémon.

I feel like I don't have as much control over the actual fights themselves. Sometimes the enemies attack a lot more or a lot less and your strategies have to be more... Reactive?

But my girlfriend thinks its super cute and easy to pick up, so she's got a copy now. There's a lot of quirkiness to it. Yokai say their own names with accents and sometimes add sayings when you befriend them. Each element also has its own song that plays when a yokai is summoned in cutscenes and stuff.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
this game sounds lame as hell to me and idk why. i love animal crossing and pokemon but this yokai poo poo just sounds like a game based on a show that aired on jetix 12 years ago

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
It has a kid's anime.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
someone please give the kid their anime back

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I was playing the show for my kid the other day and the episode was about being caught pooping at school.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i once pooped in school and didn't wipe my rear end

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yo-kai is why.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

DisposableHero posted:

I got past the first boss and here's a somewhat brief overview of the game:

So your watch has 6 slots for Yokai. In battle 3 are active, 3 are passive. There are 8 "tribes" of Yokai which are basically base classes. Eerie, Slippery, Brave, Mysterious, Shady, Heartful, Charm and Tough. To translate into real-world types:

Eerie = Inspiring
Slippery = High evasion
Brave = Attack
Mysterious = Techniques
Shady = Status infliction/HP absorption
Heartful = Healer
Charm = Agility
Tough = Defense

Then with this there's the various elements fire, water, lightning, earth, ice, wind and drain.

So in the battles there's 5 different attacks a Yokai can do that you don't have control over:

Attack = Default attack skill the specific Yokai has
Guard = Guard
Technique = Magic attack the specific Yokai has
Inspirit = Status up on team or status down on the other team
Loaf = Do absolutely nothing like a lazy sack of poo poo

With this each Yokai has a mood of sorts and depending on the mood will be which of the 5 attacks it chooses automatically.

On top of that there's Soultimate moves which you have control over. These take time to charge up and can be done once per Yokai until recharged. There's a minigame and you have to complete them to launch the attack. They vary from a single high power hit to healing your party, removing debuffs, whatever.

There's also items you can use and a targeting feature you can use. This will allow you to tell your Yokai to attack a specific tribe which they might be more adept to better inflict damage on. There's also little balls that fly on screen you can target which give you back soul power/hp power.

Along with this you can link Yokai of the same tribe on the watch so if they are in the front line together their attacks are buffed by a multiplier depending on how many are linked. Say as a fake example you had 3 brave Yokai on the line and do a soultimate attack. Since you're linking you then get a 3x multiplier on the attack. I don't know the exact buff but it's part of the whole deal.

Last there's inspiring as I mentioned before which is buffing/debuffing enemies and characters. If a Yokai is inspired you have to purify them by moving them to the back line and then doing a short touch screen mini-game.

With it all added together once you get to actual battles it seems pretty in-depth and hectic at times. Sometimes I wish I could use the control pad for everything because the stylus feels annoying but I'm enjoying it enough.

Story-wise so far at least it seems to take place in the kid's hometown and is an episodic format where it's like "oh hey something's up <BEGIN EPISODE SOMETHING IS UP>" and so then you are given objectives to do around town to solve the super mystery. Once that's done the episode is completed, you save and another one begins. The town plays much like how the towns do in Mega Man Battle Network.

Hope this helps.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 7, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

what do you mean "being caught" pooping at school? was he pooping in a bush?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the demo was terrible for showing how combat actually is. poo poo like tribe bonuses, personalities, items, all that with the normal stuff we know about doing special moves and curing status ailments and all makes battle very active despite not having control over 'attack/use special ability/guard/LAY DOWN LIKE A LAZY PIECE OF poo poo DIMY I HATE YOU SO MUCH' and so far of the two bosses I've fought the pig in the baths was a legit challenge to manage everything and not lose anyone. Also I had to get an old man's underwear from a pig demon in the bath house so he would make my watch better, so this game is p. great at story telling.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Awesome! posted:

what do you mean "being caught" pooping at school? was he pooping in a bush?
He was pooping in the bathroom, and the girl he likes mocked him DUE TO YO-KAI POSSESSION in front of everyone because he smelled like poop afterwards.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

TheMopeSquad posted:

He was pooping in the bathroom, and the girl he likes mocked him DUE TO YO-KAI POSSESSION in front of everyone because he smelled like poop afterwards.

he also did not wipe his rear end. i have so much in common witht his game already...

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

flyboi posted:

I got past the first boss and here's a somewhat brief overview of the game:

So your watch has 6 slots for Yokai. In battle 3 are active, 3 are passive. There are 8 "tribes" of Yokai which are basically base classes. Eerie, Slippery, Brave, Mysterious, Shady, Heartful, Charm and Tough. To translate into real-world types:

Eerie = Inspiring
Slippery = High evasion
Brave = Attack
Mysterious = Techniques
Shady = Status infliction/HP absorption
Heartful = Healer
Charm = Agility
Tough = Defense

Then with this there's the various elements fire, water, lightning, earth, ice, wind and drain.

So in the battles there's 5 different attacks a Yokai can do that you don't have control over:

Attack = Default attack skill the specific Yokai has
Guard = Guard
Technique = Magic attack the specific Yokai has
Inspirit = Status up on team or status down on the other team
Loaf = Do absolutely nothing like a lazy sack of poo poo

With this each Yokai has a mood of sorts and depending on the mood will be which of the 5 attacks it chooses automatically.

On top of that there's Soultimate moves which you have control over. These take time to charge up and can be done once per Yokai until recharged. There's a minigame and you have to complete them to launch the attack. They vary from a single high power hit to healing your party, removing debuffs, whatever.

There's also items you can use and a targeting feature you can use. This will allow you to tell your Yokai to attack a specific tribe which they might be more adept to better inflict damage on. There's also little balls that fly on screen you can target which give you back soul power/hp power.

Along with this you can link Yokai of the same tribe on the watch so if they are in the front line together their attacks are buffed by a multiplier depending on how many are linked. Say as a fake example you had 3 brave Yokai on the line and do a soultimate attack. Since you're linking you then get a 3x multiplier on the attack. I don't know the exact buff but it's part of the whole deal.

Last there's inspiring as I mentioned before which is buffing/debuffing enemies and characters. If a Yokai is inspired you have to purify them by moving them to the back line and then doing a short touch screen mini-game.

With it all added together once you get to actual battles it seems pretty in-depth and hectic at times. Sometimes I wish I could use the control pad for everything because the stylus feels annoying but I'm enjoying it enough.

Story-wise so far at least it seems to take place in the kid's hometown and is an episodic format where it's like "oh hey something's up <BEGIN EPISODE SOMETHING IS UP>" and so then you are given objectives to do around town to solve the super mystery. Once that's done the episode is completed, you save and another one begins. The town plays much like how the towns do in Mega Man Battle Network.

Hope this helps.

Posts like this are a big help. Thanks all.

Is there much decision as far as individual Yokai leveling up type stuff or is it pretty much all in the team building part?

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
He just knew that school toilet paper always breaks when you wipe and then you get poo poo all over your hand. There is nothing you can do to escape fate.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DisposableHero posted:

Posts like this are a big help. Thanks all.

Is there much decision as far as individual Yokai leveling up type stuff or is it pretty much all in the team building part?

All 6 of your currently-equipped youkai get full experience for each battle, even if you don't rotate them in during the fight.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

enojy posted:

All 6 of your currently-equipped youkai get full experience for each battle, even if you don't rotate them in during the fight.

As well as if they die. On level up the stat progression is automatic however I am not sure about skills evolving or the yokai evolving either.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

RichterIX posted:

I've seen homebrew discussion crop up here a couple of times but I wanted to mention that while most of the available emulators still aren't perfect, Genesis games run 100% and look perfect on the 3DS screen, so if you want to play Castlevania Bloodlines or Toejam and Earl on the go it's worth it to do if you were considering it.

SNES games that don't have a special chip are mostly perfect too, which creates Portable Super Punch-Out! which is a thing that should exist already anyway.

Edit: or portable Genesis Shadowrun now that I think of it.

Are you using a New 3DS? Because on my old 3DS XL, RetroArch's Genesis core (Genesis Plus GX or something like that) does not "run 100% and look perfect", it's actually pretty slow and laggy and generally kind of crap. BlargSNES has worked great with almost everything I've thrown at it, though, so at least there's that.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So I'm about to "beat" my first Pokemon game (Y) at age 34, I realize I'm behind on this thing but I had to give it a try and the girlfriend is playing X so it was fun. I understand the appeal but I definitely want a deeper experience for the next rpg I play. Should I pick up fire emblem? Or xenoblade? Or something else?

The thing that bothered me the most I think about the Pokemon game is there is literally zero motivation to go exploring things because you have overpowered Pokemon and all the money you could ever need in no time. I haven't used any of the perks or random consumables at all because I'm not playing competitively. I guess I just don't like rpg's that have cookie cutter buildings repeated over and over again with no reason to actually talk to people or explore things. I get that it's a game for 9 year olds, I wasn't expecting anything more than this and I get it, just not my type of rpg.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 7, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Xenoblade.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
please do nut buy xenoblade for your 3ds

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Play Fire Emblem too.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Shin Megami Tensei 4 is good if you want something with a similar capture-and-train structure as Pokemon but much more challenging and that requires you to really learn the intricacies of the combat system rather than just steamrolling everything with brute force.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

I'm gonna pop your head like a grape, you piece of trash.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

noirstronaut posted:

Buy Xenoblade because it is good and fun and looks pretty decent for a 3DS game that has minimal loading per giant area!

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Yo-Kai watch is fun and good and has a good theme song and transports me to a magical land far away where I'm not an adult anymore