Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm wondering what Kirschen would say Europe should do about the Arab Question. Does he have any sort of solution to suggest?

Can't we just create a homeland for them in the middle east, preferable somewhere they have historical ties to, perhaps even religious ties as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm kind of surprised there are any incidents of sexual misconduct in the women's bathroom by trans women, it seems like a very specific and limited scenario to me.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Rincewinds posted:

Can't we just create a homeland for them in the middle east, preferable somewhere they have historical ties to, perhaps even religious ties as well?

They tried that once, but the beneficiaries didn't really learn the lesson.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm kind of surprised there are any incidents of sexual misconduct in the women's bathroom by trans women, it seems like a very specific and limited scenario to me.

I hear tell they like to do it after committing voter fraud only made possible by a lack of compulsory voter identification!

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's very easy for numbers to be greater than zero. I can also imagine actual run-of-the-mill creeps going into restrooms and then telling the judge "uhhhh... [retrieving data, please wait...] I'm trans? That gets me off the hook right?" and that would probably get counted in the statistics, if there's more than zero cases on the books.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
As has been previously pointed out, trans women being sexually assaulted if forced to use the men's room is far more common and likely result of these laws. Not that the people pushing for these laws actually give a poo poo. As with most of these kinds of morality laws it's about enforcing cultural norms even at the expense of protecting people.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
But a lot of people use social media for just that...?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

I'm assuming God clicked the like button on that prayer.

Also I like the citations in scripture, which obviously predicted social media

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

there wolf posted:

... Suetonius' Lives of the Caesars is where a lot of the wilder stories come from, especially about Julius Caesar ' clan, and Suetonius definitely had a bias towards the Senate and Republican rule in general so he had a bias towards making the Caesars look bug-loving insane...

I think it speaks volumes about a culture that for propaganda purposes (pro or con) an author would choose to make up that Tiberius kept suckling infants in the swimming pool at his country villa to administer on-demand blow-jobs.

Reading that and then watching the I CLAVDIVS version of Tiberius mope and whine to his mother than nobody likes him for 20 episodes... that's next level multimedia political cartooning

(my first ever post. pardon me....)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

why do they work for evil rabbit if they hate her

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Is this true?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh, if only more people insufferably harangued everyone all the time on Facebook, how different social media would be!

A lot more people would be blocked by everyone they know for example

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Comic strip that literally introduced a character named 'Fiorina' before shoving it under the rug whining about post-debate bounces.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

I don't believe there is even one confirmed case of a transwoman attacking someone in a public restroom.

http://mic.com/articles/114066/statistics-show-exactly-how-many-times-trans-people-have-attacked-you-in-bathrooms#.jLdulvSsH

quote:

Spokespeople from the Transgender Law Center, the Human Rights Campaign and the American Civil Liberties Union told Mic that no statistical evidence of violence exists to warrant this legislation. Vincent Villano, the director of communications for the National Center for Transgender Equality, told Mic in an email that there isn't any firm data to corroborate these lawmakers' claims, and that NCTE has "not heard of a single instance of a transgender person harassing a non-transgender person in a public restroom. Those who claim otherwise have no evidence that this is true and use this notion to prey on the public's stereotypes and fears about transgender people."

The Advocate noted the same glaring fact last month regarding Texas' bathroom legislation: "There has never been a verifiable reported instance of a trans person harassing a cisgender person, nor have there been any confirmed reports of male predators 'pretending' to be transgender to gain access to women's spaces and commit crimes against them."

Mic has requested statistical evidence from state bathroom bill sponsors Senator C.B. Embry (Ky.), Rep. Gilbert Peña (Texas) and Rep. Artiles (Fla.). None of these lawmakers have returned Mic's request for comment.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 7, 2015

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

loquacius posted:

Oh, if only more people insufferably harangued everyone all the time on Facebook, how different social media would be!

A lot more people would be blocked by everyone they know for example

If every Christian sought to be like Christ on social media, they'd be Facebook friends mostly with fishermen, prostitutes, and the IRS.

And they'd forgive anyone who sent them a Candy Crush request.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

achillesforever6 posted:

Actually Christians were never fed to the lions during Nero's reign, in fact Nero was quite popular and has only been vilified by history because of rich Roman aristocrats loving hate people who are popular with the plebs.
It's a little more complicated.

Nero was popular among the general public in the early part of his reign because he was obsessed with popularity and spent money in the Roman treasury lavishly and cut taxes. The aristocracy, thus, grew to loathe Nero partly because he was rapidly depleting the wealth and resources that Claudius had saved during his reign. They were aware that Rome didn't have infinite money and, as they had learned with Caligula, that eventually someone would need to pay the bill. Nero's reputation among the nobles wasn't helped by his terrible acting and gladiatorial career, his matricide, his fratricide, or that he repossessed prime real estate in the heart of Rome to build a massive palace for himself.

There's been recent scholarship that's questioned how bad these policies were in the long-term by pointing out the potential value of public works projects for employment, but there's hardly a consensus on the matter.

Nero probably did not throw the Christians to the lions, but he did use them as a convenient scapegoat after the Great Fire of Rome in 64 CE. Tacitus, who would have no reason to sympathize with the Christian minorities of Rome, reports that Nero had:

quote:

an immense multitude convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind. Mockery of every sort was added to their deaths. Covered with the skins of beasts, they were torn by dogs and perished, or were nailed to crosses, or were doomed to the flames and burnt, to serve as a nightly illumination, when daylight had expired. Nero offered his gardens for the spectacle, and was exhibiting a show in the circus, while he mingled with the people in the dress of a charioteer or stood aloft on a car. Hence, even for criminals who deserved extreme and exemplary punishment, there arose a feeling of compassion; for it was not, as it seemed, for the public good, but to glut one man's cruelty, that they were being destroyed.

There's a reason that the Antichrist in the Book of Revelation is commonly seen as a coded reference to Nero.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 7, 2015

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

nobodyssweetheart posted:

I think it speaks volumes about a culture that for propaganda purposes (pro or con) an author would choose to make up that Tiberius kept suckling infants in the swimming pool at his country villa to administer on-demand blow-jobs.

Reading that and then watching the I CLAVDIVS version of Tiberius mope and whine to his mother than nobody likes him for 20 episodes... that's next level multimedia political cartooning

(my first ever post. pardon me....)

Well someone in our modern era did probably invent a story about the British prime minister loving a pig's head. And the entire child sex scandal which has true parts and exaggerations and accusations flying all over so it's hard to know what's going on... Ridiculous stories of sex and violence are what people remember regardless of whether they are true.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
All this talk about Romans and the very biased biographies of their emperors... What if in a couple millennia, Ramirez's book is all that remains of US politics?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Is Prickly City still occasionally whining about how the frontrunner for the Republican presidential nomination doesn't represent the Republican primary and it's unfair for people to say that

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Picking a pollution spewing smokestack as your representation of how global warming is a lie has got to be the stupidest metaphor. It reminds me of this old Dials cartoon.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

All this talk about Romans and the very biased biographies of their emperors... What if in a couple millennia, Ramirez's book is all that remains of US politics?

"And from the political portraits of Ramirez we see that the United States was became unusually progressive in 2008, electing their first Annelid-American president." - An excerpt from An Analysis of American Politics in the 21st Century, published in 5043.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 7, 2015

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Wanamingo posted:

Picking a pollution spewing smokestack as your representation of how global warming is a lie has got to be the stupidest metaphor. It reminds me of this old Dials cartoon.

I completely forgot about THE CLIMAQUIDDICK OCEAN

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I remember having that t-shirt in middle school. Is Trump going to say "Silence is Golden, Duct Tape is Silver" next, Ramirez?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Is 'hillary has seances' an actual talking point or is glenn just crazier than usual?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Huh? Did he become Big Boss?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Is 'hillary has seances' an actual talking point or is glenn just crazier than usual?

It's the hot new scandal from 1996.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9606/22/hillary.book/
http://www.nytimes.com/1996/06/25/us/performing-seances-no-just-pushing-the-membrane-of-the-possible.html

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Well, it's not like she'll be deciding national policy based on tarot readings and psychic friends.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Or determining her schedule via the daily horoscope.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Is it weird that a poop joke isn't the crassest that Muir has been?

quote:

That doesn't look like Carly Fiorina at all. Ramirez is incapable of drawing non-monstrous caricatures, isn't he?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

"This crazy woman talks to the dead."
-The people who say God told them to run for President.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Is this a thing that happened or is it Muir-style imagined burns that politicians could have made?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Is that "apple" a commentary on how the Garden of Eden apple wasn't a real apple?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Macksy posted:

Is this a thing that happened or is it Muir-style imagined burns that politicians could have made?
Seems like Ramirez has been dropping all pretense and going straight for childish insults lately, so probably the latter.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

PassTheRemote posted:

This series is always very interesting. I wonder when it will get to JFK's death, the guy lived in Waco, that's not that far from Dallas.

That was one of the weirdest moments in my life. I'm in Dallas for business, it's late at night, and I'm wandering around aimlessly looking for interesting things and all of a sudden poo poo starts looking familiar and, being in an intuitive sort of mood, I follow the feeling until I realize that oh gently caress. I'm standing within ten feet of that spot. I had no idea why I knew the area till it all hit me at once.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm not getting the dialog, did he just poo poo all over the floor? The exlax comment is throwing me off

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Fiorina accidentally reads off of Goldberg's autocue.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm not getting the dialog, did he just poo poo all over the floor? The exlax comment is throwing me off

I can't make heads or tails of it either. Did Zed use ex-lax on somebody for some reason?

Chris Muir is a loving chode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

I need some context to this, because this is just pointless nothing to me without it.

• Locked thread