Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Sailor Senshi?
This poll is closed.
Sailor Moon/Usagi Tsukino 6 4.51%
Sailor Mercury/Ami Mizuno 15 11.28%
Sailor Mars/Rei Hino 23 17.29%
Sailor Jupiter/Makoto Kino 42 31.58%
Sailor Venus/Minako Aino 6 4.51%
why didnt you put the outers on here fucker 41 30.83%
Total: 133 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
you can evaluate whether the gameplay in ace attorney is successful on its merits, just because you're not jumping on goombas doesn't mean it's not gameplay!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tarranon posted:

games should be fun to play, above all..but a good experience counts as well

this I believe
saying 'fun to play' is dumb tho because stuff like music, visuals, and yes, story, can enhance the gameplay.

games are made up of many parts. they all need to be working together on some level to create good experiences. you can still enjoy one aspect without the other aspects and obviously a game with good gameplay but bad music is more enjoyable than a bad game with good music, but they're still all working together. saying only one part matters is really dumb.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

There are definitely games i have enjoyed for story reasons even if they're not the best gameplay-wise. I think saying only gameplay matters is very limiting

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

gameplay is the primary part. if its bad then a game will be no fun to play even if everything else is good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

her shoes are wrong

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tarranon posted:

you can evaluate whether the gameplay in ace attorney is successful on its merits, just because you're not jumping on goombas doesn't mean it's not gameplay!!

yeah, but nobody would call an ace attorney game with a bad story and soundtrack good.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

honestly the idea that games have to be fun is pretty limiting unto itself

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tarranon posted:

But what makes the AA games fun is partially the writing and partially figuring out the mysteries. I don't think "the player thinking" can be counted as part of gameplay

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Parallax posted:

honestly the idea that games have to be fun is pretty limiting unto itself

what

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

using phoenix wright as an example, saying objection at von karma is satisfying not just because you solved a puzzle, but because the story's thrown so many obstacles in your way + the guy has been portrayed as a serious bastard, you figure out the one way to nail him to the cross, that sweet music kicks in, and you finally start to see him sweat. it's all the parts of the game working together to create a cool moment.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

A lot of things matter, and sometimes something has parts that work really well and parts that are awful but the whole thing together is really exciting and lots of fun.

All or nothing mindsets are fail.

yeah, gameplay works in tandem with other elements to create an appealing game, with individual games focusing on some aspects over others. most people would pick a game with a story, soundtrack, and general aesthetic that appeals to them over a game that plays a bit better but doesn't appeal as much in those other categories.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

her shoes are wrong

AH GEEZ

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

shoes are the most important part of elephant cosplay, they're the mechanics of the outfit

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Minami-ke...heck yes

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

shoes are the most important part of elephant cosplay, they're the mechanics of the outfit

yea i didnt even notice

those are some wizard of oz slippers lol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Elphelt is cool, but is only a second tier Guilty Gear.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

for example, there are some games that make people miserable, like dota

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the wildest rear end posted:

gameplay is the primary part. if its bad then a game will be no fun to play even if everything else is good
i mean if a game is actively torturous to play, sure, you can tell, but it's kind of hard to pin down 'good gameplay' because you could take literally the exact same gameplay segment, give it two different coats of paint - different music, different UI, different visual style - and players would feel very differently about even the gameplay, and probably even approach the game differently.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im gonna pull the curtain back and reveal I've only played the first Ace Attorney game and then stopped because I liked the live action movie 100x more and I'm really jazzed for the anime.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
i have learned from people who do lots of cosplay that a good tip for shoes is to not actually get new shoes, but to make shoe covers that disguise your shoes to look like other shoes.

this doesnt always work but it is a good thing to know, and can certainly save a lot of headache since instead of having to find or make shoes out of a particular material, you could just make a slip-on thing that goes over the shoes and looks just as good, and is most likely more comfortable to wear

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm gonna cover you up in the curtains again.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

Im gonna pull the curtain back and reveal I've only played the first Ace Attorney game and then stopped because I liked the live action movie 100x more and I'm really jazzed for the anime.

Play the rest of the Ace Attorney games.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

hes right

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2uanw8 :tem:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Parallax posted:

for example, there are some games that make people miserable, like dota

im sure the broken people who play that still consider it fun

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

saying 'fun to play' is dumb tho because stuff like music, visuals, and yes, story, can enhance the gameplay.

games are made up of many parts. they all need to be working together on some level to create good experiences. you can still enjoy one aspect without the other aspects and obviously a game with good gameplay but bad music is more enjoyable than a bad game with good music, but they're still all working together. saying only one part matters is really dumb.

Yeah, and different people are going to value different things. To use Tales as an example, somebody might say Graces f is the best because it has their favorite battle system, but another person, even if they agree on that count, might prefer another game for things like characters and aesthetic despite having what they find to be somewhat worse gameplay.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Some games no longer become fun because I am playing them on the highest possible difficulty and am only getting enjoyment put of the raw satisfaction achieved from victory over torturous odds.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

One day... Juarez gunslinger on true west.... One day.....

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Motto posted:

Yeah, and different people are going to value different things. To use Tales as an example, somebody might say Graces f is the best because it has their favorite battle system, but another person, even if they agree on that count, might prefer another game for things like characters and aesthetic despite having what they find to be somewhat worse gameplay.
those people are dumb

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Some games no longer become fun because I am playing them on the highest possible difficulty and am only getting enjoyment put of the raw satisfaction achieved from victory over torturous odds.

That can be fun, like a Platinum game

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

i mean if a game is actively torturous to play, sure, you can tell, but it's kind of hard to pin down 'good gameplay' because you could take literally the exact same gameplay segment, give it two different coats of paint - different music, different UI, different visual style - and players would feel very differently about even the gameplay, and probably even approach the game differently.

I've heard people say that the WiiU new super mario game is really well designed, but a lot of people are still gonna write it off because they find the visuals and audio to be tiringly bland at this point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

" Western developers design from the screen out...Japanese design from the controller in" <--- good quote I saw somewhere

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

those people are dumb
for finding different things important in video games?

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

it's true. but, imo, all games should be interesting. if something can provide a really unique experience while not being fun in the traditional sense of "learning and mastering systems" that 99% of games are comprised of, it's worthwhile as an experience

THAT SAID I'm also glad of the gameplay uber alles philosophy because those beliefs have created some of the best video games of the decade, hotline miami being the easiest example

good work and artists in general are pretty much all made by rabid ideologues whether they realize it or not. that's what makes it fun and interesting to see

the world of art is fun because it's got so many perspectives..even ones that are pretty objectively wrong..

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

" Western developers design from the screen out...Japanese design from the controller in" <--- good quote I saw somewhere
^ dumb quote you saw somewhere

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Has anyone tried to go the next level with a fighting game and make a game of nothing but hitboxes for visuals.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Endorph posted:

hes right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

they should watch anime, instead

• Locked thread