Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

diabeetz posted:

This would look really nice if there was an overlay of some sort of resin to level it out. Did you have to wear shoes 24/7?

Polished concrete floors are basically this, there's no actual stone underneath because in order to flatten it you'd need a stupidly thick layer of resin, like probably at least an inch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's a couple roundabouts near me in San Diego county and my god people are loving morons who have no idea how to use a roundabout.

It's a yield sign not a stop sign fuckwits.

Although they are super confused by stop signs too because apparently if it isn't a 4-way stop magically they forget right of way rules and just go as soon as they can irrelevant of the fact that you, stopped across the intersection from them, were there first. Then they honk at you.

Robot cars can't come fast enough.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

RideTheSpiral posted:

is this seriously a thing? What does everyone do when they are stopped? why wouldn't you just put a roundabout in like every other country?

4 way stops are a test to see who's the biggest pussy that's going to sit there while all the other alphas move through the intersection

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Aralan posted:

4 way stops are a test to see who's the biggest pussy that's going to sit there while all the other alphas move through the intersection

no wonder pussy europeans hate them so much

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

thathonkey posted:

there are some roundabouts in the US but nobody know to use them so it's usually a massive failure. to be fair they didnt teach roundabouts when i was learning to drive here.

US drivers are typically too aggressive for roundabouts to work because nobody lets anyone merge in.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

We've got a similar terrible roundabout near my town. Luckily, someone made this simple image showing how to get around it:

I actually decided not to apply for a job recently because the commute would have involved driving around that loving thing. At rush hour, it's insane.

naem
May 29, 2011

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Is being able to go counterclockwise really worth the extra complexity?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

diabeetz posted:

This would look really nice if there was an overlay of some sort of resin to level it out. Did you have to wear shoes 24/7?

yeah we figure maybe they were planning on doing something more to it and ran out of money or something. it wasn't so bad you had to wear shoes 24/7 though. except for like a month after every time some glass broke in there just to be safe. people living there now probably found some of the glass i've broken.

in their feet

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Is anyone here a plumber?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

I.C. posted:

I'm not a plumber, but have lived in enough old houses that I probably know more than the layman.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Germstore posted:

Is being able to go counterclockwise really worth the extra complexity?

It means you can have a 4 lane roundabout without anyone having to change lanes to get on or off

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

criscodisco posted:

I'm not a plumber, but have lived in enough old houses that I probably know more than the layman.

I ask because I have the same kind of (broken) sink as depicted in the OP:

It really is bad! How should I get the stopper out? It is stuck, and I think I just need to yank it out with pliers. Please advise.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I.C. posted:

<<<a half-assed one, why?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Nathilus posted:

loving laffo. I've seen that same fixture and newsflash: its a sink.

I can understand the confusion though. Sometimes we pee in weird things. The closer you get to south texas for example, the more likely restrooms are to have a pretty mosaic wall to piss on. There wont even be a trough just a mosaic wall with water running over it drained via inset basin.

I am really loving glad I learned that was a sink now rather than by accident.

I have never peed on a mosaic wall. I have yet to live.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

<<<a half-assed one, why?

What is your opinion of Drano as a pipe-clearing agent?
Also, what should I do with this stuck stopper?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

I.C. posted:

I ask because I have the same kind of (broken) sink as depicted in the OP:

It really is bad! How should I get the stopper out? It is stuck, and I think I just need to yank it out with pliers. Please advise.

If the u-trap is easily removed from the drain, as in it hasn't been screwed on way too tightly, I'd remove it and you can push the stopper up with your fingers. Then you don't run the risk of scratching the hell out of it with pliers.

Just in case you don't know, the u-trap is the pipe attached to the underside of your sink drain. There will be a large PVC ring at the top of it that you can turn counter-clockwise to loosen. There will be another one at the other end of the "u" on the pipe. Put a bucket or large pot under the pipe, because a bit of water will poor out!

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I.C. posted:

What is your opinion of Drano as a pipe-clearing agent?
Also, what should I do with this stuck stopper?

Oh sorry. I do installation. Can't answer on the Drano. If the connecting rod is still in place through the bottom of the stopper you don't want to try to pull it out. Can you/have you removed it?

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Old houses that have been split up into apartments invite Bad Design Ideas, LLC to come up with nifty, thrifty solutions for chintzy landlords.

Renting a room as a bedroom that you have to go through in order to reach another bedroom is a pet peeve.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

criscodisco posted:

If the u-trap is easily removed from the drain, as in it hasn't been screwed on way too tightly, I'd remove it and you can push the stopper up with your fingers. Then you don't run the risk of scratching the hell out of it with pliers.

Just in case you don't know, the u-trap is the pipe attached to the underside of your sink drain. There will be a large PVC ring at the top of it that you can turn counter-clockwise to loosen. There will be another one at the other end of the "u" on the pipe. Put a bucket or large pot under the pipe, because a bit of water will poor out!

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Oh sorry. I do installation. Can't answer on the Drano. If the connecting rod is still in place through the bottom of the stopper you don't want to try to pull it out. Can you/have you removed it?

I just unscrewed everything and it was really disgusting! I did have a bucket. I did have to pull out the stopper with pliers. So, I cleaned everything out, and put it all back. Now I have no stopper, but i think that is better. I like those little pea-catchers...or maybe I could just find some screen...

Anyway! Thank you for your help! I had to take a shower after.

I don't have a door on my bathroom, but that goes without saying.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

thathonkey posted:

here is a terrible "design" straight from a house i was renting previously. in the kitchen, for some inexplicable reason, they made the floor out of this natural stone that creates a rough, completely uneven surface with lots of variation. the bathroom is the same way but it's more of a problem in the kitchen.

i've never seen indoor flooring like this (go figure). it has literally no advantage over tile or whatever else you might use. it looks terrible. it hurts to walk on, some of the edges of the rock cropping up are actually somewhat sharp (not enough to draw blood or anything but still), it gets cold as poo poo in the winter, and if you drop something that isn't plastic you can pretty much loving say goodbye to it.

and when it comes time to clean up after a meal or god forbid... you dropped a glass tray full of food or beer? hahaha have fun digging bits glass out of every single crevice fucko and getting down on your hands and knees with a rag because this poo poo renders all modern cleaning appliances useless. good luck pushing a broom, mop, or vacuum cleaner over this bullshit.

it's probably a little dirty in this pic but that was about as good as you could get them looking :cripes:

lol holy poo poo

digger_smolkin
Feb 23, 2007

Any Problem Solved

Is A New Problem Made

Champenema posted:

Old houses that have been split up into apartments invite Bad Design Ideas, LLC to come up with nifty, thrifty solutions for chintzy landlords.

Maintaining a fleet of these is what I do for work. The very mention is triggering me hard.

4-way stops: You may be surprised to know that the best place in the US to see these working well is in the disaster-prone areas, i.e. Gulf Coast, because the the power goes out so frequently. Even the least bright folks (like me!) understand that all intersections become 4-, 5-, whatever- way stops when the lights aren't working. It's kind of a shame, because otherwise the South would have killed itself off shortly after the automobile was invented.

I do quite a bit of plumbing as well. This thread is trying so hard to unlurk me.

efc

NIBCO wanted to be cool and washerless like Delta

The "washers" are still there, but non-serviceable! 3 sets of $8/pc carts to finally get ones that you know, shut the water off.

Delta saw that, and upped the ante:

3 sets of $40 carts and the faucet still like :qq: :qq:
But it's OK, they last the life of the faucet (meaning you just replace the whole shitshow when it leaks a year later)

digger_smolkin fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 7, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

I.C. posted:

I just unscrewed everything and it was really disgusting! I did have a bucket. I did have to pull out the stopper with pliers. So, I cleaned everything out, and put it all back. Now I have no stopper, but i think that is better. I like those little pea-catchers...or maybe I could just find some screen...

Anyway! Thank you for your help! I had to take a shower after.

I don't have a door on my bathroom, but that goes without saying.

You've just taken the first step to being a man. Never be afraid to unscrew things and plunge your hands into sewage.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

RideTheSpiral posted:

is this seriously a thing? What does everyone do when they are stopped? why wouldn't you just put a roundabout in like every other country?

lol. you take turns. first come first serve. if two or three arrive at the same time, you're supposed to default to whoever is rightmost, but usually it's just a free for all. if four arrive at the same time, oh well. (it never actually happens that more than two people arrive at exactly the same time so)

roundabouts are hellish, truly hellish.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Hammerite posted:

lol *stands stupefied looking at a double power socket with something plugged in on the right hand side* "if I plug this phone in on the left i will not be able to fit... what do?"

Right... now imagine you have two of those plugs with the cord sticking out to the right, and they are three prong so you cant flip em. That's what we're complaining about.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Whoever's saying that 4 way stops are better than roundabouts should live in a place where the entries/exits to suburbs are in fact 4 way stops. After living in a place with roundabouts it's hard to see a 4 way stop as anything other than a device to back up traffic for 3 miles in every direction at rush hour. Roundabouts are pretty foolproof and they actually keep traffic moving. They're rad.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
"Traffic lights are a Bolshevist menace... Traffic lights are things which are set up to try and control traffic to try and control individuals on the roads," Dr Phelps told Parliament.

"Roundabouts. Roundabouts represent freedom. Roundabouts represent democracy at its finest," he said.

The finest moment in australian politics

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i dont think anyone here at least has tried to argue that 4-way stops are better than roundabouts.

the only conceivable reason for keeping the pre-existing ones is that converting to roundabouts would take up more space and cause all sorts of complications. well that and the cost.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't mind paying more taxes to get rid of every 4 way stop there is. In NZ they've figured out a brilliant solution to 4 way stops if there aren't any roundabouts. The more 'major' route gets right of way and the other connecting roads only get yields.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The way to deal with 4 way stops is to just stop for half a second and then continue driving as if no other vehicles exist.

-signed, 95% of people.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Bathroom stall doors that open inwards, which in my experience, is all of them. So you have to back up and perhaps touch the toilet with your leg before you can leave. Hurray!

Also: Twitter.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Bathroom stall doors that open inwards, which in my experience, is all of them. So you have to back up and perhaps touch the toilet with your leg before you can leave. Hurray!

i've literally never had this problem but im guessing if they opened outward youd bump people at the urinal since urinals are often oriented right across from or perpendicular to stalls?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I guess if you're wide enough that you can't just, you know, stand to one side a bit.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Isaac posted:

Why are people destroying toilet stalls in usa wtf.

Rage, rage against the drying of the hands

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
yea except those dyson airblades, holy mackerel

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

plain blue jacket posted:

I don't care if this is a page three quote because these are the worst things that exist yet have somehow permeated into our lives like w cancer. I was visiting my grain at her old age home and the nurse brought us some tea. I may as well have drunk it off the loving tray

Not to single you out specifically, but does nobody use a decanting rod anymore, or do they only teach that poo poo to chemistry and food nerds now?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
ahahahah yes I only drink my tea in a class IV clean room using a decanting rod and microgram scale so that my ratios of sugar and milk are PERFECT and no impurities can enter the system

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nubile Hillock posted:

I wouldn't mind paying more taxes to get rid of every 4 way stop there is. In NZ they've figured out a brilliant solution to 4 way stops if there aren't any roundabouts. The more 'major' route gets right of way and the other connecting roads only get yields.

It was like this in the US in the old days but we learned that the societal cost of the constant fatal car wrecks wasn't worth the convenience.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Sheep-Goats posted:

It was like this in the US in the old days but we learned that the societal cost of the constant fatal car wrecks wasn't worth the convenience.

Also New Zealand has the total population of a busy WalMart, so it would understandably work better there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

With modern safety features you'd surely bring down the fatalities AND you'd keep the economy going by having people have to buy new cars all the time. I don't get what the hard part about slowing down and looking is, though, without having to come to a full and complete stop

• Locked thread