Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

CommonShore posted:

Rebuttal - what if she's grossing out people at neighbouring tables?

If another guest complained, I'd absolutely bring it up to the offending table...I just can't imagine a situation where someone just sitting in a booth with their shoeless feet up would be so gross as to cause a stir, especially since she was wearing socks. Someone's nasty dirty bare feet with green toenails, yeah I wouldn't be down with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Lady came into the dining room and took her shoes off all like

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Skinny King Pimp posted:

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but since we prepare foods with several of those components and do not have a separate, sterile kitchen, our chef does not feel comfortable preparing your meal. I truly apologize for the inconvenience, but we cannot risk your health. I hope you understand."

Wonder if she realizes xanthan comes from things other than corn too. Yes, I know this is late, but I am finally catching up enough on this thread to feel I can start posting.

Also, as per the crab, I am deathly allergic to shrimp (as in need medical attention), but I can lobster and such no problem, and oysters, but only if I take an antihistamine first.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

That was like 90 pages ago. Just read the last 5 to 10 pages. It's a chat thread, you don't need 180 pages of this garbage in your life.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Samizdata posted:

Wonder if she realizes xanthan comes from things other than corn too. Yes, I know this is late, but I am finally catching up enough on this thread to feel I can start posting.

Also, as per the crab, I am deathly allergic to shrimp (as in need medical attention), but I can lobster and such no problem, and oysters, but only if I take an antihistamine first.

who

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Secret Spoon posted:

That was like 90 pages ago. Just read the last 5 to 10 pages. It's a chat thread, you don't need 180 pages of this garbage in your life.

Yes I do. Makes me feel better about the minor poo poo I deal with in dish pit. Mostly FoH not knowing their shapes and sizes.

And also nobody else knowing how to use a broom or mop. I rarely have to mop poo poo mid shift myself but everybody is content to use old water that is basically black with filth. Then just leave the mop to seep in it for countless hours. What the gently caress. Use gross rear end water if you want, but at least wring out the mop.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Day 4 of 7 is done. We topped Tuesday's 'record' number of special item/reuben sales tonight and it's only Thursday. I hope we run out of everything and close early because of the loving day crew refusing to do even the standard prep work and bouncing the second even one of the night crew shows up. Burgers on the grill? poo poo in the fryers? gently caress it, it's an hour before you're scheduled to leave, finish your beer and gently caress off on home.

Also when I wasn't there (obviously) yesterday the GM/Ops Mgr alienated the entire BoH night crew by calling them "loving retards" audibly on the phone within earshot of the line. The FOH night manager talked them out of walking out and took over expo but damage done; we're down a weekender. We're also now at 400% year-over-year growth for the weeklong fest. gently caress All Things.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Day 4 of 7 is done. We topped Tuesday's 'record' number of special item/reuben sales tonight and it's only Thursday. I hope we run out of everything and close early because of the loving day crew refusing to do even the standard prep work and bouncing the second even one of the night crew shows up. Burgers on the grill? poo poo in the fryers? gently caress it, it's an hour before you're scheduled to leave, finish your beer and gently caress off on home.

Also when I wasn't there (obviously) yesterday the GM/Ops Mgr alienated the entire BoH night crew by calling them "loving retards" audibly on the phone within earshot of the line. The FOH night manager talked them out of walking out and took over expo but damage done; we're down a weekender. We're also now at 400% year-over-year growth for the weeklong fest. gently caress All Things.

Your management is dumb as gently caress. But the day BoH crew does sound like a bunch of loving retards.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I got fired today. The given reason was NCNS, but given that I had informed them of my impending absence the night before, I'm going to go ahead and say that's not the real reason. The real reason is that I found out that I was being screwed on pay, and asked the GM what was going on. I now have 90% less stress in my life, time off to finish fighting whatever virus I caught, and better availability for a job I don't hate.

On another note, the "Battle of Ohio" was last night. I work in Ohio. In a sports bar. I'm hoping and assuming that my current hearing loss is sinus-related rather than the result of hundreds of decibels of drunk white trash cheering two of the most hated teams in the NFL.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 7, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Call the labor board, report them, and file for unemployment. gently caress them, that's lovely.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Just started working at a pub that offers me unlimited access to tater tots and nacho cheese.

Pray for me.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Vorenus posted:

I got fired today. The given reason was NCNS, but given that I had informed them of my impending absence the night before, I'm going to go ahead and say that's not the real reason. The real reason is that I found out that I was being screwed on pay, and asked the GM what was going on. I now have 90% less stress in my life, time off to finish fighting whatever virus I caught, and better availability for a job I don't hate.

On another note, the "Battle of Ohio" was last night. I work in Ohio. In a sports bar. I'm hoping and assuming that my current hearing loss is sinus-related rather than the result of hundreds of decibels of drunk white trash cheering two of the most hated teams in the NFL.

Im in the middle of a class action against the last place I worked. I got a call yesterday and was asked for my pay stubs. Turns out I was getting hosed in my pay as well. Pursue that poo poo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Republicans posted:

Just started working at a pub that offers me unlimited access to tater tots and nacho cheese.

Pray for me.

Try managing a BBQ restaurant where you have access to unlimited brisket and mac and cheese.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Kenning posted:

Try managing a BBQ restaurant where you have access to unlimited brisket and mac and cheese.

I would be the fattest gently caress on earth. Brisket coleslaw sandwiches for days.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Night before is still "you better bring a doctor's note when you come in" territory imo. Night before doesn't really give enough time to find someone to cover your shift. If you arraigned for someone to take your shift that's a whole different story.

The fact that you were getting hosed on your pay just gave them the incentive to do something.

Also there's nothing like one dish guy ncns, and another got hit by a car yesterday... (it's a bad week for chomos that work here and cars. Two for two with getting their assess run over) so hopefully my man ends up back there since he's got like 20 years industrial cafeteria and dish pit experience. Mostly cause he gets bored sitting at home while I'm here.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Call the labor board, report them, and file for unemployment. gently caress them, that's lovely.

I may file, though having a PT job still makes it unlikely. Unfortunately, there's nothing illegal to report them for. I should have worded it better, during a recent discussion the GM lied and claimed the people making more than I am were outside his control; I found out that the cook he just hired was brought into the company at .50 more than I'm currently making and texted him asking why his newest cook was worth more money than I am. I never did get a response.

As an aside, this kind of crap is why employees have every right to know what their coworkers are making.

Kenning posted:

This is the one thing I will miss about that terrible, terrible store: Free BBQ. Unfortunately, going to my old store is gonna be a dice roll on quality if I can't make it myself. Pulled rib sandwiches are one of my favorites, and on occasion I'd pile full-cut brisket, slaw, fries, and cheese on a bun and tell myself "If you find yourself with a cardiologist appointment before age 30, this is why".

AA is for Quitters posted:

Night before is still "you better bring a doctor's note when you come in" territory imo. Night before doesn't really give enough time to find someone to cover your shift. If you arraigned for someone to take your shift that's a whole different story.

The fact that you were getting hosed on your pay just gave them the incentive to do something.

Also there's nothing like one dish guy ncns, and another got hit by a car yesterday... (it's a bad week for chomos that work here and cars. Two for two with getting their assess run over) so hopefully my man ends up back there since he's got like 20 years industrial cafeteria and dish pit experience. Mostly cause he gets bored sitting at home while I'm here.

I wouldn't have bothered for a doctor's note even if it would have saved my job. I'm already losing the better part of $100 by calling off, it's laughable to expect an employee to blow another $60 or more to expose people to their illness and be told to go home and rest. There is health insurance, but the policy the company offers isn't worth the paper it's printed on and in any case, the signup info wasn't made available to employees until less than a week before the end of the month-long open enrollment period. Coincidentally, of course. Unfortunately, there is no one who CAN cover my shift. There are only three other people in the entire store who can do my assigned position, only one of whom is either willing or capable of doing it properly, and all three of those people are being used to their max extent already because the store is short on staff. They literally could not fully staff a single shift this past week, in fact Monday I was supposed to do an opening that calls for four people and put the truck away, with one other person.

Apologies for the bit of a rant, I'm exhausted and feeling taken advantage of. Even though they're doing me a massive favor in the long term, losing a job still sucks.

Secret Spoon posted:

Im in the middle of a class action against the last place I worked. I got a call yesterday and was asked for my pay stubs. Turns out I was getting hosed in my pay as well. Pursue that poo poo.

I hope you get them over a barrel after what they pulled.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Honestly? I just want my money. I started today at my new place of employment, and they seem really chill and knowledgable. I made a phone call to my mentor, if you want to use that word, and he had a buddy looking for someone like me. In the end, their loss is my gain. I made decent money tonight, they threw me to the wolves after I studied their menu for a day and looked through their wine list. No mistakes yet, and the pos is familiar and well laid out. But whatever, I'll hopefully get into ucdavis and then I'll pursue my viticulture and enology degree.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Vorenus posted:

Unfortunately, there is no one who CAN cover my shift. There are only three other people in the entire store who can do my assigned position, only one of whom is either willing or capable of doing it properly, and all three of those people are being used to their max extent already because the store is short on staff. They literally could not fully staff a single shift this past week, in fact Monday I was supposed to do an opening that calls for four people and put the truck away, with one other person.

Apologies for the bit of a rant, I'm exhausted and feeling taken advantage of. Even though they're doing me a massive favor in the long term, losing a job still sucks.

Yeah that's my poo poo right now too. I can't believe we're pushing the literal maximum capacity of our kitchen for 5 hours a night and we were already down one cook because of our dipshit GM and another one called in on his way to the ER (loving allegedly) and days had a guy call in and it's just constant loving constantly. Two nights left and now I know when I'm taking my vacation every year. I'm going to need a week off but I'm going to be lucky to get a night off. And the owner and KM still haven't spoken back about a raise that I've been asking for since June. And now if we lose the next guy we're going to be back to only 4 staffed on nights and weekends.

I'm honestly ready to just take a job here as a KM just to get a loving raise. Yes, I know how stupid this sounds.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Yeah that's my poo poo right now too. I can't believe we're pushing the literal maximum capacity of our kitchen for 5 hours a night and we were already down one cook because of our dipshit GM and another one called in on his way to the ER (loving allegedly) and days had a guy call in and it's just constant loving constantly. Two nights left and now I know when I'm taking my vacation every year. I'm going to need a week off but I'm going to be lucky to get a night off. And the owner and KM still haven't spoken back about a raise that I've been asking for since June. And now if we lose the next guy we're going to be back to only 4 staffed on nights and weekends.

I'm honestly ready to just take a job here as a KM just to get a loving raise. Yes, I know how stupid this sounds.

I feel your pain; if you have to take a KM position just to get a raise, walk and find something else.

This place had actually asked me if I wanted to be a manager, I told them my responsibility was way above my pay rate as is and that I would need a raise and to see a lot of positive changes in the store before I'd consider taking on more.

In hindsight it's really not surprising that a shady, sensitive GM would want to fire me.

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

I just spent 27 out of the past 48 spent in the kitchen and I still have at least 3 shifts to go. :getin:

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Nothing like being in the weeds from 430 on. Got time for a smoke break before a loving 50 top is going to get their order in. Only because right now the entire place is sat so we can't actually take more orders.

It's fun.

Also we are probably going to run out of loving lettuce because we've had nothing but ceasar salads and we did not order enough to cover it.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Secret Spoon posted:

Honestly? I just want my money. I started today at my new place of employment, and they seem really chill and knowledgable. I made a phone call to my mentor, if you want to use that word, and he had a buddy looking for someone like me. In the end, their loss is my gain. I made decent money tonight, they threw me to the wolves after I studied their menu for a day and looked through their wine list. No mistakes yet, and the pos is familiar and well laid out. But whatever, I'll hopefully get into ucdavis and then I'll pursue my viticulture and enology degree.

What's your goal in wine-making? 'Cause dude, you don't need to spend a bunch of $$$ on Davis. Napa Valley CC has a good viticulture/enology program, tho I think the long-term head of the program (Dr. Stephen Krebs) just retired, which is a shame because he was awesome. Santa Rosa JC probably has a good program, too. The key is that either program is chock-full of industry people, so you should be able to get harvest internships without any problems at all.

I'd try to get in at a smaller-scale winery if you can; you'll be exposed to a lot more of the process instead of spending all day running labs or shoveling on the crushpad. If you want to get even more exposure go do harvest in the Southern Hemisphere once harvest is finished up here - Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, South Africa... lots of possibilities. Take some of the money you saved on Davis and buy a half-ton of grapes your second or third year and make some wine.

You get one harvest a year to make wines, assuming you're in touch with your farmers, paying attention to your vineyards, etc etc. You'll learn all the chemical crap as you need it, IF you need it. For example, I'm making "natural" wine, so what do I care about lab enzymes or lab yeasts or running simultaneous primary/secondary fermentations? The hands-on experience is way, way, WAY more important.

Seriously, if you want to get into viticulture/enology, the best thing you can do is GO DO WORK. If you're in the Bay and want to check out some urban winemaking stuff give me a PM.

Also there are a few technical, in-depth books out there that are really good, but I'd start off with Knowing and Making Wine by Peynaud. It's an older book and definitely dated, but it's a great, in-depth primer to the winemaking process.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I'm a veteran so Uncle Sam is paying for it. I also am applying to a few other schools, so if you have any other schools that you think would be good for me let me know. End goal for me is to make wine right here in Texas. But who knows where this will take me, I just want to make wine.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Come on out to the Hill Country! I hear they make wine there. Also bourbon.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Come on out to the Hill Country! I hear they make wine there. Also bourbon.

It's getting made all over Texas. Heck, haak is near Galveston. They didn't think anyone could grow there because of pierces disease, but they are growing varietals out there that are resistant and are producing one of the best Madeiras I have ever had.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Doctor's notes are bullshit. Medical information should be private and even with Obama care there are a ton of situations where going to a doctor is just going to cost you money and not get you anything that will help make you better.

Sprained ankle,you'll spend 300 dollars for "ice it,keep it elevated and take ibuprofen"

A bad Cold, "plenty of fluids and vitamin C, aspirin for fever."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Canadian cooks have it easy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Canadian workers have it easy.
Canadians have it easy

You fuckers can get percoset with Tylenol over the counter. That would make so many minor injuries so easy to work with.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 8, 2015

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Doctor's notes are bullshit. Medical information should be private and even with Obama care there are a ton of situations where going to a doctor is just going to cost you money and not get you anything that will help make you better.

Sprained ankle,you'll spend 300 dollars for "ice it,keep it elevated and take ibuprofen"

A bad Cold, "plenty of fluids and vitamin C, aspirin for fever."

This is amusing becasue zinc is equally if not more important to fighting a cold. :eng101:

I'm filing for unemployment, not so much because I need the money as for the storm of corporate anger that will descend upon my former GM's head.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Canadians have it easy.

FTFY

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vorenus posted:

This is amusing becasue zinc is equally if not more important to fighting a cold. :eng101:

I'm filing for unemployment, not so much because I need the money as for the storm of corporate anger that will descend upon my former GM's head.

FTFY

I'll put zinc on my list, but it's still something that I shouldn't spend 300 dollars on. I'm pretty sure the pharmacist I have to talk to for Sudafed could tell me the same thing. Though they never have and now I'm pissed at my pharmacist.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

bunnyofdoom posted:

Canadian cooks have it easy.

The more I see, the more I think that Canadian cooks are terribly whiny. Every time there's short staffing and we need our staff to step up, they start crying for the labour board.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
terribly whiny because even though they're doing their jobs they should expect to be required to do more?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I normally dont' work saturdays or nights since I'm a tenured salary family man and all, but holy poo poo the crew of idiots they had FOH tonight pissed me off. Came in late, slow, under-prepared and constantly clashing with each other.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Secret Spoon posted:

It's getting made all over Texas. Heck, haak is near Galveston. They didn't think anyone could grow there because of pierces disease, but they are growing varietals out there that are resistant and are producing one of the best Madeiras I have ever had.

Madeira-style wine out of Texas? Link, please.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

bloody ghost titty posted:

Madeira-style wine out of Texas? Link, please.

http://www.texasmadeira.com

I highly recommend the Thomas Jefferson edition. I planned on buying a bottle tomorrow anyways I'll post a picture of me and a friend walking through the grid with it. It's really well balanced, it's also really good for cooking even though it's bit expensive for that.

Secret Spoon fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Nov 8, 2015

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
At dinner with my old college professors, my roomie is the server-

Me, aside: Hey I want to get some pappy 23 for my prof here, but here's my card and just say the resto took care of it
Him: I don't think we even priced it yet!
Me: Just make it happen, it's all good.

OPEN LIQUOR
PAPPY 23
205.00 x 2

:shepspends:

e: last year the 23yr cost $110.. production is significantly smaller this time around. :(

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 8, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

AA is for Quitters posted:

it's a bad week for chomos that work here and cars.

Child molesters?

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Turkeybone posted:

At dinner with my old college professors, my roomie is the server-

Me, aside: Hey I want to get some pappy 23 for my prof here, but here's my card and just say the resto took care of it
Him: I don't think we even priced it yet!
Me: Just make it happen, it's all good.

OPEN LIQUOR
PAPPY 23
205.00 x 2

:shepspends:

e: last year the 23yr cost $110.. production is significantly smaller this time around. :(

Jesus that's a bottle of opus one at a decent price. Could have had carter too :(.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Red wine taste like poo poo. But I can do White all day baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

But does red Get Down?

• Locked thread