Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Libluini posted:

Dude, every wiki makes it's game look like Asperger: The Game.

On the other hand, this is a game where you will spend a dozen minutes looking at the ten thousandth gas giant glowing on one rim with the light of a star and yet another field of rocks and then you will actually take pictures of this one, again, and then you'll post them on the internet to people who have seen nearly identical posts hundreds of times and they'll love it. It's a great lovable game and the embodiment of sperging.

Sard fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dante80 posted:

Newsletter is out.

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=2e8fbe7909

This week, David's sneak peek videos of Elite Dangerous: Horizons continued, showing off a cold, deep misty crater. The mist is formed from volatiles released from the rocks below. These are not uncommon, and even possible at high temperatures, where lead vapour can also form high temperature mists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jE7UhIyRnA

New Viper is looking pretty swanky

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sard posted:

On the other hand, this is a game where you will spend a dozen minutes looking at the ten thousandth gas giant glowing on one rim with the light of a star and yet another field of rocks and then you will actually take pictures of this one, again, and then you'll post them on the internet to people who have seen nearly identical posts hundreds of times and they'll love it. It's a great lovable game and the embodiment of sperging.

By that definition every astronomer has Aspergers. I somehow doubt that.

Anyway, some of the links from the newsletter are good stuff:

Habitable zone charts. If you wanted to know if that blue planet 1700 ls from its star could be a habitable planet, you can now look at that chart and then at the planet's star to see how likely that is.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Still not clear on the planetary interaction with space and the barrier: will I be able to give chase/be chased from space to the surface ? Or will it create a new instance and I lose my target?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Elite is a Good Game and everyone should buy it and play it. So far I have had ten times as much fun playing Elite than I have any other 'traditional' MMO. Jury is still out on the brown sea whether or not ED is an MMO, but whatevs.

Boost all the time, every time and no two landings will ever be the same. Don't let YouTube Bads dissuade you from buying a good thing.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If you like flying a space ship them Elite is a fun game. If you live and die by the meta game then it isn't that good.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

But holy christ, I just looked up docking on the E:D wikia to learn more, and you guys were objectively lying about the game not being spergy. Guess the genre didn't learn how to do things properly from Freelancer.
Yeah you can read about the grinds in the wikia all you want while we are busy boosting and bumping people in game.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah you can read about the grinds in the wikia all you want while we are busy boosting and bumping people in game.

I don't see nothing wrong, with a little bump and grind.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I really don't want to hear diatribes about how the docking system is broken and how he shouldn't be forced to get a docking computer

MisterBibs posted:

I just looked up docking on the E:D wikia to learn more, and you guys were objectively lying about the game not being spergy. Guess the genre didn't learn how to do things properly from Freelancer.

lmao

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

MisterBibs posted:

Does E:D cause people to misremember forum posts? Because that never happened.

But holy christ, I just looked up docking on the E:D wikia to learn more, and you guys were objectively lying about the game not being spergy. Guess the genre didn't learn how to do things properly from Freelancer.

What do you think "objectively" means?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

What do you think "objectively" means?

I think he means his own opinion is the sole arbiter of reality, so by definition we others can't be objective if we disagree with him. He is the only one with the ability to judge objectively. We others are prisoners of our vile subjective agendas.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

What's spergy about "request clearance, fly trough slot, land on the indicated pad"?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
yeah, you fly into a hole and then a big thing lights up telling you where to go. It's very light, it just FEELS right for landing a spaceship.

In general this is a very light sim. It's spergier than say, ace combat level mindless gameplay, it's very much in line with something like X-wing - a fairly arcadey flight model wrapped up in a scribble of sim to make it feel authentic.

The spergy poo poo is everything but the actual flying around. The work you have to put in to figure out how to buy a better ship, figuring out a decent trade route. A lot of that stuff is waaaay fiddlier than it needs to be in game and pretty much forces you to out of game sources.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

:lol:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

No you see you have to remember that if you're in a large ship you can't dock at outposts

God who has the memory bandwidth to recall such obscure logic and facts

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sard posted:

gently caress you

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Is there some bug with fog effects in planetary rings at the moment or is it just incredibly rare? I've seen some awesome screenshots showing heavy fog/dust even when flying inside the ring proper, but I can't recall ever encountering the effect myself. Certainly not in any of the rings I've visited in the past 3 months.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 7, 2015

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

The key thing to remember about docking is that it's not nearly as hard as you used to think it was.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Tirranek posted:

The key thing to remember about docking is that it's not nearly as hard as you used to think it was.

I still impress myself when I manage to get through the mail slot at full speed in a large ship like a Clipper or Python without touching the edges.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tirranek posted:

Docking is only bad when I get tired and don’t hit down as firmly as I should and accidentally boost instead of lowering my landing gear :saddowns:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Docking is only bad when I get tired and don’t hit down as firmly as I should and accidentally boost instead of lowering my landing gear :saddowns:

What do you have boost and landing gear bound to that you can accidentally hit one instead of the other?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
He hits alt tab so he can tell us in IRC about his sick nasty landing he's about to pull off

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sard posted:

What do you have boost and landing gear bound to that you can accidentally hit one instead of the other?

Default 360 context controller binding for boost is B, landing gear is B+Down. :frontear:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sard posted:

I'm so sorry you are stuck using a keyboard and just assume everyone else is too.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmOf6Vl_sRg

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

:ohdear:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Met posted:

I'm so sorry you are stuck using a keyboard and just assume everyone else is too.

Keyboard 4 lyfe

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Met posted:

I still impress myself when I manage to get through the mail slot at full speed in a large ship like a Clipper or Python without touching the edges.

gently caress THAT

bounce 4 life

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Dabir posted:

Keyboard 4 lyfe
Also

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 7, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

450m with babbys first rebuy cost???

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Adult Sword Owner posted:

450m with babbys first rebuy cost???

The glory is in the Assets.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I bought this game, hope its good

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I'm sorry.

I need to get off my rear end and put a big banner at the top of the first post telling people not to buy the base game, since we're only a month and change away from horizons now.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

AndroidHub posted:

I'm sorry.

I need to get off my rear end and put a big banner at the top of the first post telling people not to buy the base game, since we're only a month and change away from horizons now.

Horizons will forever carry the base game or will that stop post-release?

Pressuring a friend to get in for that but he's being a dick, but I think a financial motive will work

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

AndroidHub posted:

I'm sorry.

Yea i did realise it was a bit of a waste to buy both now instead of waiting but what the hell

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Horizons will forever carry the base game or will that stop post-release?

Pressuring a friend to get in for that but he's being a dick, but I think a financial motive will work

As far as I know the only thing changing is that you won't get access to the cobra MK4 if you don't preorder or own the base game before buying Horizons. To me it's a bit skeevy that this is a thing you have to find out on your own or be told about buying the base game, since at this point you're paying $30 to play the base game for a month if you buy it (taking into account that you get $15 off horizons by owning the base game).

This situation is also just because of the way they decided to do it as a buy-in instead of making the expansion cheaper but require the base game, seemingly for no other reason than to squeeze the people who already own the base game a little extra, or maybe to justify the ridiculous price tag on the lifetime pass.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Does this make my Asp look big? :v:

Figuring out a nice Robigo milk-run loadout. I could drop into a D class power plant to loose a bit more weight - any tips?
I'm stuck between a 64T tank to get there and back in one trip or more cargo space for more dosh.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
With the right fuel scoop, an Asp can tank up just by flying over a star while waiting for your frameshift drive to cool down.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DarthBlingBling posted:

He hits alt tab so he can tell us in IRC about his sick nasty landing he's about to pull off

This made so mad until I remembered my keyboard has a windows-key which does the same thing as alt+tab with the added bonus of not immediately switching to another game I may have running in the background.

Met posted:

Or he is one of those weirdos with a cheap joystick, so he has to bind at least some keys to the keyboard. :v:

AndroidHub posted:

This situation is also just because of the way they decided to do it as a buy-in instead of making the expansion cheaper but require the base game, seemingly for no other reason than to squeeze the people who already own the base game a little extra, or maybe to justify the ridiculous price tag on the lifetime pass.

Nope, the reason is it makes it easier for new players to play the game, since they can just buy the newest expansion and have access to all the other ones before that, without requiring more money or learning a long list of expansions and how to install them in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pre-ordered Horizons. Already logged more hours in Elite than ever in Star Citizen, so my refund money from that poo poo heap is going to good use.

• Locked thread