Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that;s too many syllables. it's the Addams family theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
One is a genius, the other's insane.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

No Such Thing posted:

in galaxy 2 they sprinkle green stars in inconvienient or hidden places throughout the map. It's probably worth it in G2 compared to G1 since grandmaster galaxy is cool and some of the new stars are actually interesting to get.

Ohhhh, ok. When I replayed Galaxy last year I was expecting to encounter the hidden stars thing and was disappointed that it was just "beat the game, again". I must've been thinking of the Galaxy 2 thing, it sounds pretty cool.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Ohhhh, ok. When I replayed Galaxy last year I was expecting to encounter the hidden stars thing and was disappointed that it was just "beat the game, again". I must've been thinking of the Galaxy 2 thing, it sounds pretty cool.

whats funny is that whenever a stage features a cloud flower you can guarantee that one of the green stars will be way out in the middle of goddamn nowhere and you have to long jump off of all three clouds to get there.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

My girlfriend says I'm not allowed to play Spelunky this weekend because apparently I keep singing songs about it and cackling manically. One of them is "they're creepy and spelunky" to the addams family tune

Fugue and Fugue in Spelunky

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

I beat that level one time but I did not remember to grab the green star and I was unwilling to play the level again to unlock the true final level that's just grandmaster again but on one life and no checkpoints.

there are more changes than that, i dont remember them all anymore but the level design is altered to be even harder for the last star

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

also being forced to hold onto the cloud power up for most of the level changes how you have to approach everything because now your jumps are really floaty

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

sharrrk posted:

there are more changes than that, i dont remember them all anymore but the level design is altered to be even harder for the last star

drat, that's hosed. All in all i thought the galaxy games were pretty easy since the spin jump is hosed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rediscover posted:

Apparently? Do you not know whether or not your singing some epicly random poo poo?

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!
I have not beaten Ocarina of Time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SGR posted:

I have not beaten Ocarina of Time.

I got bored of it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

rediscover posted:

Apparently? Do you not know whether or not your singing some epicly random poo poo?
I'm not proud

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

My girlfriend says I'm not allowed to play Spelunky this weekend because apparently I keep singing songs about it and cackling manically. One of them is "they're creepy and spelunky" to the addams family tune

... -backs away slowly-

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sharrrk posted:

i beat the one in 3d world but i still cant beat grandmaster galaxy. i come back to it every so often, and i can never complete it. i have everything up to the last section with the boomerang bros on lock but it just all falls apart there

You can crawl underneath their boomerangs and still spin while crawlimg, so you only have to worry about timing jumps

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

i got to olmec and died in the dumbest way possible and now im going to kill myself

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

source: I've completed the 242 star challenge twice

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I bombed a tunnel down to the lava, 5 squares wide, but I didn't realise the door to escape was at the top of it, so Olmec kept hitting the invincible escape platform thing. So I had to lure him to the side, and he stomped a stray block, and rubble flew out and hit me and knocked me into the tunnel to lava which I had made for no reason.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The only 3d mario i've 100%'d is mario 64 on the DS.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

In Training posted:

source: I've completed the 242 star challenge twice

I think I've done this but I sold my copy of Galaxy 2 and it might have only had 241 stars. I do remember going through an electric maze with the cloud suit on 1 hit, is that the last star?

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
I think I've gotten to the final dungeon in like 3 final fantasies but never beat a single one.

also did that in smt soul hackers. i think it was 2 linked skyscrapers and there was this puzzle you had to solve that required a lot of backtracking. the encounter rate was so high i got annoyed and stopped playing.

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

It's still fair. Definitely hard as hell but the extra cash from being on level DIE the whole game balances it out a bit. I think you can catch this whale.
thank you. perhaps i will return to it once i am stronger and wiser.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

semper games. I'd like to thank this thread for giving me the courage to return to hunt this whale.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Congrats.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If we keep knocking through games at this rate by December this whole thread is just going to be a Nethack letsplay.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

semper games. I'd like to thank this thread for giving me the courage to return to hunt this whale.

cool now beat the game

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ArfJason posted:

cool now beat the game

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Nearly every RPG I play ends with me stopping in the final 10 percent or whatever. I am working on persona 4 right now and I will beat it I think though.

I just really suck at rpgs

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I got to the final boss on FF4 on my SUper Nintendo and couldn't beat him. I feel pretty lovely about it. I just don't really feel like grinding, and I don't think I have the best weapons or summons or anything

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ArfJason posted:

cool now beat the game
im gonna pee on you.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

my morning jackass posted:

Nearly every RPG I play ends with me stopping in the final 10 percent or whatever. I am working on persona 4 right now and I will beat it I think though.

I just really suck at rpgs

It's ok since the final 10 percent is by far the worst part of most RPG's.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
My current gaming goal is to beat Vs. Super Mario Bros. on one credit.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Currently I can make it to 6-3 (with warps) before dying repeatedly to spring jumps like a noob.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Can't really think of any others. I never beat a bunch of roguelikes like Nethack or ADOM and I want to someday.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Actually now that I think about it I never had the guts to clear Lost Levels on one continue either.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
gently caress! Piss!!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lost levels is hard and full of bullshit traps lol

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Bobnumerotres posted:

lost levels is hard and full of bullshit traps lol

Vs. Super Mario Bros. replaces a bunch of levels with Lost Levels equivalents and makes the regular SMB1 levels harder. But I will defeat it, on the arcade hardware with the broken A button and weird joystick.

Dec 26, 2012

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Vs. Super Mario Bros. replaces a bunch of levels with Lost Levels equivalents and makes the regular SMB1 levels harder. But I will defeat it, on the arcade hardware with the broken A button and weird joystick.

godspeed

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Nice. Good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Mega Man Legends.

I accidentally stumbled into the final bossroom with only my stupid vacuum arm. Upon finding out the final boss had a more ultimate second form it was time to return the rental anyway.

Megaman Legends 2 also got me; but I wasn't as close.

• Locked thread