Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

buttcoinbrony posted:

When you only do something once or twice a year, you tend to have strong feelings about it.

see also: using toilet paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Munin posted:

The BBC put up an article today about postwar architecture:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34667034

As they point out most of the buildings in that list have been demolished or are about to be. The article includes old thread favourites like the Cumbernauld Town Centre and the Park Hill estate in Sheffield.

This article is missing a great Prince Charles quote: “You have to give this much to the Luftwaffe: when it knocked down our buildings, it didn’t replace them with anything more offensive than rubble.”

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I just looked up Cumbernauld Town Centre: holy poo poo.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

My gran lived next to it, so I spent a large chunk of my childhood in it. Navigating from the shopping area to the library and little community centre through the maze of corridors and ramps was a horrible, unsettling experience. Every strangely angled and windowless corridor was identically tiled in light tan with unfinished concrete things of unknown use jutting out the roofs and walls. It was incredibly easy to get lost and end up in a maintenence area when you needed the toilet, or in the car park when you wanted to get to Woolworths, or simply happen upon a jakey shooting up in a long-forgotten nook on the 4th floor.

And the way it was designed made even the main shopping area into a wind tunnel; I have no idea how the architects did it, but the wind inside those hideous corridors was perpetual, fierce and hit you from all angles, it wasn't uncommon to see small children in prams being blown along by it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Same.

:aaa: It makes the Plymouth Civic Centre look almost tame in comparison.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 5, 2015

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I think an important point here is that Brutalism is in the danger zone for architecture: so old that people are used to it and tired of looking at it, but not so old that it's become classic and beautiful. See all the Victorian stuff that got demolished in the 50s-70s, for exactly the same reasons. How sick you are of it now doesn't map to what fondness people will feel in 20 years, when it's too late. That said, we don't need all the Brutalist buildings now, but it would be good to keep some of them for future generations.

Changing the subject, I give you the Hopkins Center for the Arts at Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH.

You may notice that it looks like Lincoln Center. There is a reason for this. The Hop was the architect's warm-up piece. This means there are little details like tiny wing space and (originally) no green room. The worse detail is that the Hop was built in a heavy snow zone, and all those barrel vaults meeting at Vs are great places for snow to gather, then thaw and freeze and thaw and freeze, leading to both standing water and expansion-contraction issues. You can see from this quarter view that the flat roof slopes toward the barrel vaults.

The worst detail is that the high-tech solution for sealing the roof didn't work, nor has AFAIK any solution since, with the result that the Hopkins Center has a set of designated buckets and cones, which are laid out in known areas on the floor during heavy rains, snows, the Spring thaw, and so on. I hear that Lincoln Center has the same problem.

That said, it's a gorgeous building, and those big glass walls in front have a magnificent view over the campus and were, when I was there, the front wall of a big and well-loved hanging-out space for students, furnished with multiple benches and chairs.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Angkor Bwaak.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

is it just me, or did britain do everything in its power to make its towns and cities look absolutely dreary and dystopian between the 1950s and 1980s

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^
They were sick of Yanks saying how quaint they were.
(Didn't work)

This is so tasteless I love it.

WD40
Nov 25, 2005

After going to bed, two robotic arm mounted dildos of six (6) inch diameter emerge from concealed recesses and forcefully violate my rear end and mouth

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think an important point here is that Brutalism is in the danger zone for architecture: so old that people are used to it and tired of looking at it, but not so old that it's become classic and beautiful.
It is just now that 1950s architecture receives protection.
And guess what - if it's actually being taken care of and restorated, it doesn't look half as dirty-glass-panes-and-tacky-gold-lovely as we are used to.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Irisi posted:

My gran lived next to it, so I spent a large chunk of my childhood in it. Navigating from the shopping area to the library and little community centre through the maze of corridors and ramps was a horrible, unsettling experience. Every strangely angled and windowless corridor was identically tiled in light tan with unfinished concrete things of unknown use jutting out the roofs and walls. It was incredibly easy to get lost and end up in a maintenence area when you needed the toilet, or in the car park when you wanted to get to Woolworths, or simply happen upon a jakey shooting up in a long-forgotten nook on the 4th floor.

And the way it was designed made even the main shopping area into a wind tunnel; I have no idea how the architects did it, but the wind inside those hideous corridors was perpetual, fierce and hit you from all angles, it wasn't uncommon to see small children in prams being blown along by it.

Holy poo poo, I only live about 30 miles from Cumbernauld and never heard of that before.

I kinda wanna go see it in person, because that sounds amazing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Default Settings posted:

And guess what - if it's actually being taken care of and restorated, it doesn't look half as dirty-glass-panes-and-tacky-gold-lovely as we are used to.

Lots of them don't look any better when they're properly maintained.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

ulvir posted:

is it just me, or did britain do everything in its power to make its towns and cities look absolutely dreary and dystopian between the 1950s and 1980s

Britain was always dreary, this was just the logical next step.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
One thing I have noticed is that people like for buildings to look old and built by humans, rather than new and built by space-aliens.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Maoist Pussy posted:

One thing I have noticed is that people like for buildings to look old and built by humans, rather than new and built by space-aliens.

That's exactly how it is. There are very few exceptions.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Maoist Pussy posted:

Speak for yourself; I've loved Eero Saarinen's TWA terminal since I was a kid. (Which also falls under the header of "Great design, poor usability for its intended purpose".

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Great design, poor usability for its intended purpose".

I believe the more concise way of saying that is, "poor design".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

gleebster posted:

I believe the more concise way of saying that is, "poor design".

"Other than that, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ulvir posted:

Wasn't it an actual backlash against the idea of putting effort into buildings looking nice in the 50s because they were postwar and people didn't want money wasted on such frippery, to the point where even if it didn't cost anything more to make it look decent builders would make stuff look poo poo on purpose so they wouldn't be accused of extravagance.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Kill all architects, is what I am saying.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WD40 posted:

After going to bed, two robotic arm mounted dildos of six (6) inch diameter emerge from concealed recesses and forcefully violate my rear end and mouth

Ah that explains why OP hasn't moved out yet.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
I'm crossposting this from the Crappy Construction Tales thread in DIY since it fits so well here.

Kilo147 posted:

So my old high school is gonna be torn down in the next decade, as it is "structurally deficient" and will, lacking any other word, utterly collapse and sink in an earthquake. It was one of those open concept schools, that were so popular in Western Washington. No interior walls except around the Commons, cafeteria, and offices. Classes would meet at one of. Twenty-six or so pillars with movable walls to separate the classes. When it opened there was seventeen twenty minute periods to encourage individuality. It failed miserably. To top it off, there's a basement, around four feet deep under the entirety of the school. Back in the day they though we could only get 5-6 magnitude earthquakes, and the school was designed to drop those four feet rather than collapse. With the larger quakes we can have, it would sink and basically fall apart.

Anyway, I don't have a picture handy, but the school has the world's largest solid laminate wood beams, over a hundred meters long going across the length of the school in both directions. It's a weird loving place.

"Progressive" school architecture was popular here in Northeast Ohio as well. Most of them were such disasters in practice that they were either completely renovated with permanent interior walls or torn down within 20 years of being built. One of the last ones still operating in its original configuration is in my town.

Welcome to Bellflower Elementary School.

A K-6 Doom Bunker of Learning.

It was designed and built at the height of the 1973 oil crisis, half underground and surrounded by a earthen berm to "save on energy costs". It's basically Jimmy Carter's Malaise speech in Dystopian building form.

Notice how the berm continues inside the building, so that the kids can't actually see out the tiny ribbon of windows, and wasting lots of potential floor space. From the stories told of both friends who went to school there, and teachers that worked there, it perpetually smells like a dank moldy basement. That would make sense since the water table in that part of Mentor is extremely high.

To make it even better, It's not even that energy efficient, since it's heated and cooled with roof mounted, ceiling plenum ducted forced air HVAC units like any steel industrial building of similar size and era would be.
http://www.architectmagazine.com/project-gallery/earth-bermed-and-energizing

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 6, 2015

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

C.M. Kruger posted:

Imagine being the sucker who's gotta drive the Google Streetview car through that place.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MullardEL34 posted:

I'm crossposting this from the Crappy Construction Tales thread in DIY since it fits so well here.

"Progressive" school architecture was popular here in Northeast Ohio as well. Most of them were such disasters in practice that they were either completely renovated with permanent interior walls or torn down within 20 years of being built. One of the last ones still operating in its original configuration is in my town.

Welcome to Bellflower Elementary School.

A K-6 Doom Bunker of Learning.

It was designed and built at the height of the 1973 oil crisis, half underground and surrounded by a earthen berm to "save on energy costs". It's basically Jimmy Carter's Malaise speech in Dystopian building form.

Notice how the berm continues inside the building, so that the kids can't actually see out the tiny ribbon of windows, and wasting lots of potential floor space. From the stories told of both friends who went to school there, and teachers that worked there, it perpetually smells like a dank moldy basement. That would make sense since the water table in that part of Mentor is extremely high.

To make it even better, It's not even that energy efficient, since it's heated and cooled with roof mounted, ceiling plenum ducted forced air HVAC units like any steel industrial building of similar size and era would be.
http://www.architectmagazine.com/project-gallery/earth-bermed-and-energizing

Hey lets put kids in a school without windows and overhead fluorescent lights. I'm sure they'll respond well to that.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

That Works posted:

Hey lets put kids in a school without windows and overhead fluorescent lights. I'm sure they'll respond well to that.

The only response of importance is their compliance.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
There's a high school in my home town where like 80% of the classrooms are interior rooms without any glass block or door windows or any relief from the horrible cell-like atmosphere and I can't understand how more kids there don't jump off the roof.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

My junior high had 12 buildings. They were all a bunch of brick octagons with no windows. My elementary school was also a brick monolith with no windows. My high school was multiple brick monoliths with no windows.

If you like windows in your school, don't live in Mesa, AZ. Or any of the other cities in Maricopa county.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Skeleton King posted:

don't live in AZ

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

That Works posted:

Even worse, those are high pressure sodium lights.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

My junior high had 12 buildings. They were all a bunch of brick octagons with no windows. My elementary school was also a brick monolith with no windows. My high school was multiple brick monoliths with no windows.

If you like windows in your school, don't live in Mesa, AZ. Or any of the other cities in Maricopa county.

Same with my elementary, but middle and high school had real windows (didn't open though :v:). Both of them were built in the 2000s though.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

On the plus side they can be easily converted to prisons.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Speak for yourself; I've loved Eero Saarinen's TWA terminal since I was a kid. (Which also falls under the header of "Great design, poor usability for its intended purpose".

JFK's terminal 5 has an awesome view of this terminal. Once a year (every 5 years? something ridiculous, anyway) they open it to the public. Someday I hope to see the inside.

Regarding 1950s-60s architecture chat: atomic ranch homes are awesome. Nothing makes me sadder than when some idiot takes one of these beauties and "updates" it with modern kitchen cabinets, bathroom tile, whatever--it just looks WRONG. It is my dream to own one of these and restore it to its former metal-cabinet, pink-tiled-bathroom glory.

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle
Here's a real gift for the thread, a collection of pictures from the former East Bloc. Including my personal favorite:

The Office of Street Construction in Tbilisi, which may have already been posted, but man is that some sweet, sweet crazy.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
That is a dope looking building from the outside.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

JFK's terminal 5 has an awesome view of this terminal. Once a year (every 5 years? something ridiculous, anyway) they open it to the public. Someday I hope to see the inside.

Regarding 1950s-60s architecture chat: atomic ranch homes are awesome. Nothing makes me sadder than when some idiot takes one of these beauties and "updates" it with modern kitchen cabinets, bathroom tile, whatever--it just looks WRONG. It is my dream to own one of these and restore it to its former metal-cabinet, pink-tiled-bathroom glory.

Googie architecture was pretty fuckin' fun too.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

MrMenshevik posted:

Here's a real gift for the thread, a collection of pictures from the former East Bloc. Including my personal favorite:

The Office of Street Construction in Tbilisi, which may have already been posted, but man is that some sweet, sweet crazy.

I like how nature is slowly taking over.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

saucerman posted:

I like how nature is slowly taking over.

that's called capitalism, son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

You just missed the last chance; it's being turned into a hotel next year.

• Locked thread