Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Dislike button posted:

you just don't get it man it's not a real work truck unless it's a 90hp diesel with a crate for a front seat that's owned by a South American peasant. No one in America does real work you see

The way I had it explained to me in San Antonio was, you want to be driving the tuck the lawn care companies will be driving in 10-15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dissss posted:

The Toureg doesn't look either very rugged or very distinctive. I think that's the main issue.

Also it costs over $40k. At that point why would you not just buy an Audi?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Giblet Plus! posted:

My dad has the Tacoma you're describing, he consistently overloads it and tows with it, and it's just fine. It literally is his work truck.

Maybe, but he's really comparing the Tacoma to the global Hilux, which has a payload rating almost double that of a Tacoma and more than most half tons, more than even most trims of the F150 which as Powershift never gets tired of telling us has a significantly higher payload than the Dodge/GM trucks because of the aluminum body. Adding cooled seats and a panoramic sunroof to a truck actually detracts from its ability to do work.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

Also it costs over $40k. At that point why would you not just buy an Audi?

the Q7 outsells the tuoaureg around 3:1 in the US, so that seems to be what people do. Even the cayenne outsells it 2:1.

Throatwarbler posted:

Maybe, but he's really comparing the Tacoma to the global Hilux, which has a payload rating almost double that of a Tacoma and more than most half tons, more than even most trims of the F150 which as Powershift never gets tired of telling us has a significantly higher payload than the Dodge/GM trucks because of the aluminum body. Adding cooled seats and a panoramic sunroof to a truck actually detracts from its ability to do work.

You're right, a regular cab 2 wheel drive boxless hilux has a higher payload rating than a crew cab 4 wheel drive f-150 with the lightest possible payload package. What an rear end in a top hat i am. You got me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What does body fit mean, the overall evenness of panel gaps?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Dislike button posted:

you just don't get it man it's not a real work truck unless it's a 90hp diesel with a crate for a front seat that's owned by a South American peasant. No one in America does real work you see

They dont. They drive to the work site to watch the illegals do it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Adding cooled seats and a panoramic sunroof to a truck actually detracts from its ability to do work.

Mine has both of these things and its loving awesome. But the 'work' I bought my truck to do was household truck stuff (5%) and hauling me, my buddies and my hobbies around every weekend and weekday opportunity (70%) and not being a compromise the rest of the time on comfort when the missus is using the daily and I need to run somewhere (25%).

Loaded trucks rule for that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

kimbo305 posted:

What does body fit mean, the overall evenness of panel gaps?

Yeah.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Spiffness posted:

Mine has both of these things and its loving awesome. But the 'work' I bought my truck to do was household truck stuff (5%) and hauling me, my buddies and my hobbies around every weekend and weekday opportunity (70%) and not being a compromise the rest of the time on comfort when the missus is using the daily and I need to run somewhere (25%).

Loaded trucks rule for that.

You compromised on comfort when you bought truck

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

go3 posted:

Specd out trucks are more comfortable then a lot of cars these days

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

go3 posted:

You can get a reeeeallly nice F150 for E class / 5 series money.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

go3 posted:

All cars are a compromise in some way, but have you driven a modern truck? What is it uncomfortable relative to, an S-class? My 2015 Silverado with off-road suspension and tires rides better than either ny 1997 E420 or my 2004 E55, and pretty much any modern car I can think of.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Full size trucks are comfy, the weight, big tire sidewalls and wheelbase is why.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I just recently moved down south to a real city with real traffic and I'm finding myself wanting a full size truck more than ever just for the visibility and comfort.

Also being able to drive over meridians and other bullshit.

Trucks are the best, if you can afford to fuel them.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
It's an arms race, I got tired of hitting lovely pavement everywhere and never being able to see around bigger vehicles. Now I'm running over anything and blocking everyone else's view. In a few years I'll be driving the kid rock truck

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I've busted up my suspension pretty bad thanks to potholes and winter driving too so a truck is very helpful there as well.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
It's not like there's a rule that you have to have huge rims on a car. I had a my first flat from a pothole earlier this year on my car that came with 18" wheels, but never had a problem before that on cars with 15-17" wheels. Although I don't think I ever encountered a pothole of this magnitude either.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

davebo posted:

It's not like there's a rule that you have to have huge rims on a car.

Most car designers in the last several years haven't gotten that memo. You can get some stripper model cars with 15"s but even the new Accord has 19"s stock (depending on trim). I think we can all agree that wheels that fill the well generally look better, ride consequences aside.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

davebo posted:

It's not like there's a rule that you have to have huge rims on a car.

Cars got heavier and safety expectations got tighter. A brake and rotor that can fit under a 15" is not going to stop as well as people'd like.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The brakes on my Peugeot 406 stop ~1500kg* of car quite well, and they fit under 15" wheels.

*Which happens to be same curb weight as the ninth-gen Honda Accord.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Dislike button posted:

Most car designers in the last several years haven't gotten that memo. You can get some stripper model cars with 15"s but even the new Accord has 19"s stock (depending on trim). I think we can all agree that wheels that fill the well generally look better, ride consequences aside.

Well I do agree that filling the wheel well does look better, but not filling the well on a car will certainly still look a lot better than driving a modern truck. I mean, just look at how filled these square wheel wells aren't:

Given the option I'd much rather be in a v6 Camry on 16's with big tires. And as for seeing over traffic, my trick (it even works in a low Corvette) is to just not tailgate people at unsafe distances. Works like a charm. Besides, most of the time the things in front of the SUV blocking your view is just more vehicles. Pretty dull stuff.

Edit: also any vehicle you like can drive over meridians so long as you're traveling east-west. Where I'm from you typically don't drive over medians though. Unless that's a southern thing? Any cop around D.C. would bust you for that in a second.

davebo fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 5, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dislike button posted:

You lost me at the end there. I like some me some meaty tire.

The current condition of most of our roads has seen my BMW basically parked until the snow fills in the potholes. I'll never bolt those 19" wheels back onto it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

davebo posted:

And as for seeing over traffic, my trick (it even works in a low Corvette) is to just not tailgate people at unsafe distances. Works like a charm.

...drive properly ?! :aaaaa:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

davebo posted:

Well I do agree that filling the wheel well does look better, but not filling the well on a car will certainly still look a lot better than driving a modern truck. I mean, just look at how filled these square wheel wells aren't:

Given the option I'd much rather be in a v6 Camry on 16's with big tires. And as for seeing over traffic, my trick (it even works in a low Corvette) is to just not tailgate people at unsafe distances. Works like a charm. Besides, most of the time the things in front of the SUV blocking your view is just more vehicles. Pretty dull stuff.

Edit: also any vehicle you like can drive over meridians so long as you're traveling east-west. Where I'm from you typically don't drive over medians though. Unless that's a southern thing? Any cop around D.C. would bust you for that in a second.

Yeah but that's a truck, not a car, so things like suspension travel are going to take precedence over filling out the wheel wells (unless you put 22s on it or something). As far as your trick goes I don't see what tailgating has to do with being able to see around SUVs at an intersection, especially trying to turn right when there's one on my left. I already know what's ahead of me...more traffic. Not sure why you need to drive over medians either. But enjoy your Camry I guess?

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Wheels are getting absolutely huge because safety regulations are raising belt lines way up the car, so wheel sizes are increasing to keep proportions the same.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Dislike button posted:

I literally decided to get a base Accord instead of the Sport just to get smaller wheels when I bought last year. DC pot holes are the worst.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I skipped the performance package on my 'Stang to avoid the staggered 19s it came with.
I have plenty of brake already and I like being able to rotate my tires.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

Cars got heavier and safety expectations got tighter. A brake and rotor that can fit under a 15" is not going to stop as well as people'd like.

Every time I see some bro truck with blacked out aftermarket wheels that give me a good look at the brakes they look about the same size as a Camry's and would easily fit under 17" wheels, as opposed to the 22"s that the trucks are usually sporting. A quick google yields 13" front brake rotors for a 2015 Escalade, I'm not sure I buy the argument that cars all need wagon wheels now because of their massive brakes.

BMW Caliber almost ready to launch

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/06/bmw-x2-spy-shots/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Oh man, imagine a world where all you have to choose from is the BMW rondo or the BMW calibur.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Oh man, imagine a world where all you have to choose from is the BMW rondo or the BMW calibur.

if you add in the mercedes minivan it's called a grocery store parking lot in miami

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if you add in the mercedes minivan it's called a grocery store parking lot in miami

The mercedes minivan gets a pass because they made a version with the 500hp 6.2l V8.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Did somebody say Rondo?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

A quick google yields 13" front brake rotors for a 2015 Escalade, I'm not sure I buy the argument that cars all need wagon wheels now because of their massive brakes.

The Escalade is a truck, not a car, so it has more ground clearance. Whether it needs it or not...
Anyways, to get that ground clearance with normal axles, it has a huge outer tire diameter, like 32".
With a 20" wheel, that's 6" of sidewall. I'm not sure I'd trust an Escalade to run 8" of sidewall with an 18" wheel.

That sidewall vs wheel size tradeoff is scaled down for a car or car-based SUV. A vehicle smaller than the Escalade obviously doesn't need as much rotor, but I think 17" is a fair minimum for the kind of braking performance we've come to expect.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Powershift posted:

The mercedes minivan gets a pass because they made a version with the 500hp 6.2l V8.

There's a new Mercedes minivan around here, dude.

500 horse V8 not on the options list.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
RIP R class. I thought they looked pretty cool.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

priznat posted:

RIP R class. I thought they looked pretty cool.

Four full-size seats on the inside was pretty baller, too. Engine bay is cramped as hell though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Engine bay accessibility is not a design goal on a Mercedes-Benz minivan.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Engine bay accessibility is not a design goal on a Mercedes-Benz minivan.
But, but, if it's a minivan they need extra cargo or passenger capacity, right? I mean my Focus is just the base 2-liter and I could probably fit a seven-year-old kid in between the block and the firewall. Of course the ST would give up some practicality in that regard.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 7, 2015

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Potentially unpopular New Car opinion: I respect Fiasler more than most brands, even the holy duo of Toyota and Honda, because Fiasler is willing to take more development risks and is, despite decades of lovely management culture in both original companies resulting in very real product issues, actually trying to make cool things which are enjoyable on a non-quantifiable level.

I don't care that a 500 is empirically worse than a Fit in every practical manner, it's still a cooler car that I'd rather own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Wheeee posted:

Potentially unpopular New Car opinion: I respect Fiasler more than most brands, even the holy duo of Toyota and Honda, because Fiasler is willing to take more development risks and is, despite decades of lovely management culture in both original companies resulting in very real product issues, actually trying to make cool things which are enjoyable on a non-quantifiable level.

I don't care that a 500 is empirically worse than a Fit in every practical manner, it's still a cooler car that I'd rather own.

I pretty much fantasize about a 6.4L challenger scat Pak on a regular basis even though I know that there are far better handling cars with more HP/lb.