Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Sky Shadowing posted:

The 'clone' part was mentioned in MGS1 but him finding out that he was Big Boss's 'son' was retconned into MG1/2, he tells Meryl his real name at the end of the same game, and Eli isn't revealed until MGSV.

Thanks.

Also, WTF with these character bios

quote:

Early life and career
According to official records, Meryl Silverburgh was the niece of Roy Campbell.[3] Unbeknownst to Meryl, she was actually Campbell's biological daughter as a result of an affair he had with his younger brother's wife.[4] Her adoptive father, Matt Campbell, was killed in action during the Gulf War when she was young.[4]

Raised in a house of military traditions, Meryl trained herself throughout her childhood in the arts of soldiery. She admired the FOXHOUND unit, viewing the days when her "uncle" and Solid Snake were members in the unit’s heyday, and wore a paint tattoo of the unit's 1990s logo on her left shoulder. She joined the Army after graduating high school, receiving extensive psychotherapy and some limited gene therapy to prevent any attraction to the opposite sex.[5]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanks.

Also, WTF with these character bios

I mean, that second part is right in the actual dialogue of MGS1.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Snak posted:

I mean, that second part is right in the actual dialogue of MGS1.

Well that was long time ago. I guess I just glossed over it as a teen. But gently caress these characters have weird pasts. I mean, given the context of MGS5 its not a big deal I guess but it just seems like everyone is hosed up. Is there no one normal?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

funnily enough this makes Snake more of a cypher than Cypher. Basically a delivery vector for Foxdie/Alive in both games, and was essentially your cooler double in MGS2. But of course we all know Solidus was the real hero.

Is there really any other explanation about Solidus other than "yeah we made a third one" because there was such a big deal made about Eli and David and the super baby bullshit, but then they go ahead and just make this other guy anyway with seemingly perfect genetic levels? If EVA was the birthmother for Solid and Liquid then what's the story about Solidus, all I really understand is that instead of sending him across the globe like David/Eli, he is kept close to the Patriots to the point where he's the President. Sure Solid gets entrusted with killing his rogue father and Liquid gets put into FOXHOUND but Solidus comes out of nowhere.

Kojima didn't really know what he had made when he threw the line in at the end of MGS1. Remember, prior to that he had made well liked games that were, at best, marginally successful, and they probably didn't expect the franchise to explode.

Shaocaholica posted:

When was the fact that Solid is a clone of BB first mentioned? MGS1? When is it mentioned that Solid's given name is David? What about Eli?

Clone revelations don't come out until MGS1. David is given as his name at the end of 1. LS is called Eli in 5.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

Well that was long time ago. I guess I just glossed over it as a teen. But gently caress these characters have weird pasts. I mean, given the context of MGS5 its not a big deal I guess but it just seems like everyone is hosed up. Is there no one normal?

Literally every character in the series is tied up in the machinations of Illuminati world domination bullshit, and more than a few of them are tied up in said bullshit since before they were born. Even without a crazy pervert writing the series, hosed-uppedness would be the norm.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bushiz posted:

David is given as his name at the end of 1.

I guess this is just a shallow gimmick related to David Hayter?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Shaocaholica posted:

You mean 1998-noname David Hayter? Yeah, sure. It's really just a happy coincidence.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bushiz posted:

Kojima didn't really know what he had made when he threw the line in at the end of MGS1. Remember, prior to that he had made well liked games that were, at best, marginally successful, and they probably didn't expect the franchise to explode.

I figured as much. A shitload about guys like Zero, even Big Boss himself, was retconned over and over as the series got larger. A lot of it is insane but at the same time it's kind of astounding how the writers found ways to keep tying things together. poo poo, even the "Big Boss dies but still comes back in MG2" plothole was filled with the equally insane ending to MGSV. It's really just staggering how broad this poo poo was created.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

Nope, a reference to Dave Forrest, a character in Policenauts who is the partner of a character in that game named Meryl who is also in a top secret military unit that is named FOXHOUND, but that's just because Hideo doesn't have a lot of ideas.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

I figured as much. A shitload about guys like Zero, even Big Boss himself, was retconned over and over as the series got larger. A lot of it is insane but at the same time it's kind of astounding how the writers found ways to keep tying things together. poo poo, even the "Big Boss dies but still comes back in MG2" plothole was filled with the equally insane ending to MGSV. It's really just staggering how broad this poo poo was created.

What's actually amazing is how very little was actually retconned, and how much was just filled in with a bunch of crazy bullshit. The entire series is a giant exercise in "Yes, And"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

it's more about biblical names, David and Eli. It's partially why people were even more certain that Eli was Liquid, even though it was so obvious that this blond boy in the Middle East / Africa at this particular age could only be one man.

I wonder what "George Sears" means, if anything. Only thing I can get from it is from St. George who fought a dragon (Cypher) and from Sears which loosely means "Victory."

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Bushiz posted:

Nope, a reference to Dave Forrest, a character in Policenauts who is the partner of a character in that game named Meryl who is also in a top secret military unit that is named FOXHOUND, but that's just because Hideo doesn't have a lot of ideas.

And in the Otacon ending it's a 2001 reference with Dave and Hal. Hideo Kojima has never given gently caress one about the English side of Metal Gear.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

MinibarMatchman posted:

it's more about biblical names, David and Eli.

Still doesn't make sense though. Biblical David and Eli aren't brothers. Why even bother drawing the correlation or am I missing something?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Shaocaholica posted:

Still doesn't make sense though. Biblical David and Eli aren't brothers. Why even bother drawing the correlation or am I missing something?

Kojima probably watched The Book of Eli at some point while he was working on the game and thought the name sounded cool.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

Kojima probably watched The Book of Eli at some point while he was working on the game and thought the name sounded cool.

This is almost certainly it.

Why do you think there's a scene where Miller takes his sunglasses off revealing that he is blind?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

On a similar note, I do wonder if his idea for having Snake and Octacon executed was mostly based off of hearing 'Here's to You' and thinking that'd be a really cool way to use the song

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
"_______ would be really cool" is Kojima's entire creative process, I think.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

A Steampunk Gent posted:

On a similar note, I do wonder if his idea for having Snake and Octacon executed was mostly based off of hearing 'Here's to You' and thinking that'd be a really cool way to use the song

He wanted to do that at the end of mgs2, so probably not. I still think Snake and Otacon getting court marshalled after saving the world would have been a great ending.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I wonder what "George Sears" means, if anything. Only thing I can get from it is from St. George who fought a dragon (Cypher) and from Sears which loosely means "Victory."

Alternatively, maybe his first name is just George and Sears is Big Boss' actual last name :v:

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Confession: In MGS2, I always put Jack Sears into the name entry at the beginning of the game even if MGS4 invalidates it.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

In It For The Tank posted:

Confession: In MGS2, I always put Jack Sears into the name entry at the beginning of the game even if MGS4 invalidates it.

What does MGS4 say to invalidate it?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

The implication of the scene is that Raiden stops being "Jack" if you put "Jack" as the name on his dogtags because he declares he'll choose his own name instead of the player's, and in-universe you can justify him throwing away the name Solidus that gave him if you put "Jack" on the dogtags, but he still goes by Jack in MGS4 and beyond.

*fun fact: Rose never calls Raiden 'Jack" in her last appearance in MGS2, even though it's basically a verbal tic for her, so it works.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Speaking of MGS2, when the colonel AI and Rose are speaking to Raiden at the end, is Rose also an AI there or is it the real Rose? Was that ever explained in 4?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Speaking of MGS2, when the colonel AI and Rose are speaking to Raiden at the end, is Rose also an AI there or is it the real Rose? Was that ever explained in 4?

After Arsenal Gear crashes into New York the Rose that talks with you is an AI. Oddly enough, this was one of the few things that 4 didn't try to explain.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I think it's reasonable to think that Rose was the real Rose until she tries to tell Raiden that she's pregnant in Arsenal Gear. From that point forward until she reappears at the end of the game, the Rose you speak to is an AI.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
That makes sense in the context of MGS4, but looking at MGS2 in isolation was it probably intended that Rose was always an AI?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nakar posted:

That makes sense in the context of MGS4, but looking at MGS2 in isolation was it probably intended that Rose was always an AI?

It's one of those things that was never really going to be explained and just left up to player interpretation.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well she meets Raiden in person in New York City at the end, though that scene has always seemed a little surreal to me.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Crappy Jack posted:

With all the Moby Dick it's probably a reference to Elijah, even though Eli doesn't serve the same function in MGSV as Elijah did in Moby Dick.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Well she meets Raiden in person in New York City at the end, though that scene has always seemed a little surreal to me.
that scene is way too weird to be taken literally. Snake goes insane and turns into a parrot

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

that scene is way too weird to be taken literally. Snake goes insane and turns into a parrot

I kinda blocked out what happened at the end of MGS2 when I played it in high school. All I remember was fighting a bunch of Rays and like gently caress this VR mission raided bullshit. Then I'm on a roof fighting doctor octopus and its kinda of real I guess because there isn't any VR poo poo.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

read a neogaf thread about how "mgsv is the worst mgs ever" and now I think I contracted eyeball cancer

then again this may have started at "read a neogaf thread"

There is a huge backlash against this game from hardcore MGS fanatics who bought it and played straight through to the true ending in like 2 days

poo poo like "this game is 80% filler" because they forgot what gameplay is

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There is a huge backlash against this game from hardcore MGS fanatics who bought it and played straight through to the true ending in like 2 days

poo poo like "this game is 80% filler" because they forgot what gameplay is

MGSV may have pissed off a lot of the hardcore fans, but that's not the only reason I like it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nohman posted:

And in the Otacon ending it's a 2001 reference with Dave and Hal. Hideo Kojima has never given gently caress one about the English side of Metal Gear.

David Hayter is literally in MGS4 as himself

That loving Sned posted:

MGSV may have pissed off a lot of the hardcore fans, but that's not the only reason I like it.

Yeah as a game this is definitely deserving of GOTY, I'm 100% sure of this. Even stuff like repeating the missions for hard modes made me realize how well parts of this have been designed, and how much of the game can actually be handled without firing a single shot.

As a story it literally did not need to exist so I'm not sure what people expected

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 7, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

While I always liked the game, finally taking my butterfly emblem off really made me realize how much Quiet had been holding me back from enjoying the game more completely.

I still wish the game had been more well balanced around using her, but I certainly enjoyed replaying missions and stuff even more once she was gone and I had to rely on all other of the bajillion things in my arsenal. The gameplay shines even brighter.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

I kinda blocked out what happened at the end of MGS2 when I played it in high school. All I remember was fighting a bunch of Rays and like gently caress this VR mission raided bullshit. Then I'm on a roof fighting doctor octopus and its kinda of real I guess because there isn't any VR poo poo.

MGS2 is never set in VR

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Here's To You actually makes sense in Ground Zeroes, which is probably why Kojima decided to reuse it.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Yeah Bro posted:

MGS2 is never set in VR

Actually it's entirely set in VR. The only part of MGS2 that actually happened is Metal Gear Skateboarding.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

grancheater posted:

Actually it's entirely set in VR. The only part of MGS2 that actually happened is Metal Gear Skateboarding.

It's both virtual and reality. The patriots have simulated the whole thing, meaning it is virtual, but it is actually materially occurring, so it is reality. This is what the ending concludes. The skateboarding is 100% canon tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah as a game this is definitely deserving of GOTY, I'm 100% sure of this. Even stuff like repeating the missions for hard modes made me realize how well parts of this have been designed, and how much of the game can actually be handled without firing a single shot.

As a story it literally did not need to exist so I'm not sure what people expected

The only problem with the gameplay is how hard it's made going back to any of the earlier ones.

If they really wanted to tell the story of how Big Boss started Outer Heaven, it should have been handled like Luigi in Paper Mario TTYD, where it's exactly the same adventure but much shittier. While you're working with Ocelot and Quiet, he's got Dirty Duck and Shoot Gunner.

• Locked thread