Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The daggers also let you move around while attacking a ton and even kinda jump you around with each stab, helping you skirmish about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Zephro posted:

Fair enough. I've never self-immolated, I don't know how you can ignore the increasingly high-pitched shrieking sound effects, the flames everywhere, the big red bar in your vision and your character literally saying "Argh, too much magic" etc.

Tunnel vision

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I've done tactical explosions before, you can take out some stormvermin or a buncha dudes if need be.

Also the bolt staff is a very easy way to blow yourself up. You're used to being in the danger zone when you're trying to take out a packmaster or something, and each of those shots increase your bar by a bit.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Grondoth posted:

I've done tactical explosions before, you can take out some stormvermin or a buncha dudes if need be.

Also the bolt staff is a very easy way to blow yourself up. You're used to being in the danger zone when you're trying to take out a packmaster or something, and each of those shots increase your bar by a bit.

The only time I've accidentally blown up was when trying to get a packmaster. I should just let him take the elf next time...

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I have blown myself up a bunch of times trying to switch from staff to sword and rightclicking before the switch. :smith:

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 6, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yes. 9% Bloodlust Fire Sword for the wizard. Need to unlock the Perfect Balance and Swift Slaying (Charged) on it, but that's already going to help a ton.

Waiting for the Bloodlust roll on an orange is nailbiting.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Earthing runes are pretty critical for bw weapons. 9% bloodlust is pretty good though

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Yes. 9% Bloodlust Fire Sword for the wizard. Need to unlock the Perfect Balance and Swift Slaying (Charged) on it, but that's already going to help a ton.

Waiting for the Bloodlust roll on an orange is nailbiting.

I have a blue one with 10% bloodlust and 20% chance to vent on hit. :getin:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Nechronic posted:

Daggers were my first orange too. I hated them for a while but after a few runs they clicked for me. They attack so fast that you can easily counter hit most rats before they finish their attack animation. Headshots will one hit kill, and the power attacks completely poo poo on stormvermin and rat ogres. The shove/block animations are really quick so you should get plenty of use out of the extra stam, and the attack speed buff will let you poke rats to death that much faster since you already have a really high attack speed.

My first orange was Drakefire Pistols, followed by a Dwarf 2h hammer and Dwarf Crossbow both through fusion. My dwarf had some loving kit. Shame the Crossbow has some real unfortunate modifiers otherwise it would be my 100% go to weapon for all times.

I've since also fused up an orange Sword and Shield and Beam Staff, both with poo poo modifiers. I'm not super concerned though because I've got blues for both Solder and Wizard with amazing modifiers that I'm not ready to give up yet.

My big problem until recently was getting trinkets that were worth a poo poo. I'm mid level 40s now and up until the other night the only trinkets I had was the green potion sharing one, and two different -20% packmaster trinkets. All at once on Wednesday I got three more in one night: A Blue +4% move speed, a green 10% healing dupe on use, and a blue 20% grenade dupe on use. Still not the best, but by and far not the worst either.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
My dwarf's orange 2h hammer only has 4% bloodlust but it still owns some serious bones, doesn't stop me from wishing it was dumb and 10% though so I could be invincible forever

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
joined a horn game just as it ended and got a 6/7 as dwarf.

Got my first dual dragonfire pistols. They come equipped with vent heating reduction and extra projectile shots.

Kinda mad that i got it for literally doing nothing but not all the times I tried :(

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Protip: If you ever get a 'fatal error' popup during Enemy below - do not click ok. I was able to play fine with the error up - and if you click ok it instantly boots you out of the game. So, click OK in a safe spot or not at all? I don't know what the effect on the actual end of the mission is.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Some more experiments:

It took 10 fire bombs to kill an ogre on hard with the bots hitting it.

It took 15 regular bombs to kill an ogre with no bots hitting it.

The duration which bombs stun the ogre have no diminishing returns, so if you can coordinate it, the party staggering bomb throws will stun the ogre for a gently caress long time.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Drythe posted:

Some more experiments:

It took 10 fire bombs to kill an ogre on hard with the bots hitting it.

It took 15 regular bombs to kill an ogre with no bots hitting it.

The duration which bombs stun the ogre have no diminishing returns, so if you can coordinate it, the party staggering bomb throws will stun the ogre for a gently caress long time.

This is good and useful information. Were you just chucking the fire bombs one after another, or did you let the fire settle down between each? I'm curious if that stuff stacks.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
This is new.

The question is, why haven't they removed it from the Steam launcher for now? :iiam:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Fishstick posted:

Protip: If you ever get a 'fatal error' popup during Enemy below - do not click ok. I was able to play fine with the error up - and if you click ok it instantly boots you out of the game. So, click OK in a safe spot or not at all? I don't know what the effect on the actual end of the mission is.

Yeah I had the same error pop up on the white rat mission and played through it just fine-ish. The game stopped playing audio cues(sucked as a bw) and character speech, but otherwise it worked just fine through the end.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I hate the white rat level more than wheat and chaff there I said it.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Krinkle posted:

I hate the white rat level more than wheat and chaff there I said it.

Did wheat and chaff on nightmare p ez. White rat was a bit tougher, but we still pulled it off on the 4th attempt. The hardest part for both was executing the strategy. White rat shits you tons of health anyway.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Do the dance, kill the rats.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I really, really like Kruber with a two handed hammer and a handgun. Rats cartwheeling through the air like mad during swarms, being able to duel most of a stormvermin patrol and win, and no special is safe anywhere in your line of sight. This is a game about smashing rats and god drat if this hasn't been the most fun way for me to play it yet.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Did my first Nightmare game ever last night. I've been putting it off but it was a team of pubbies who felt emboldened after we beat Horn of Magnus on Hard and were all "let's do Nightmare!"

Of course we didn't win but the fact that an uncoordinated team of newbie pubbies (the other highest level was like 14) made it to the rooftops before the ratogre showed up and stomped us has given me the knowledge I can do this now with a somewhat competent team. Dunno about W&C and White Rat and Supply and Demand (with grimoires) since those are, in my opinion, some of the most brutal levels but hey, Nightmare levels here I come!

Plus I just got orange pistols for my WH last night so that's gonna be a big help to shoot my comrades :haw:.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
Nightmare is not dramatically more difficult than hard. All you need are people who understand the game mechanics.

Cataclysm you actually start to need good gear.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

drat this game annoys me at times. Twice in a row now it waited for 3 out of 4 of my group to jump off a ledge before insta-spawning a packmaster (in game 1) or an assassin (in game 2) to kill the 4th person who was only like 2 steps behind. Nothing any one of us can do but watch them die because a 3 foot tall wall is completely insurmountable.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Vargs posted:

This is good and useful information. Were you just chucking the fire bombs one after another, or did you let the fire settle down between each? I'm curious if that stuff stacks.

I was just chucking them as fast as I could.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

NickBlasta posted:

Nightmare is not dramatically more difficult than hard. All you need are people who understand the game mechanics.

Cataclysm you actually start to need good gear.

Yeah I think I had subconsciously equated the jump between Hard and Nightmare to be like the difference between Advanced and Expert in L4D instead of that being between Nightmare and Cataclysm. I was also worried about the friendly fire but it wasn't as deadly as I was afraid of on Nightmare.

Still had the pubbie elf shoot us like 10 times before they figured out FF was a thing though. :v:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I've spent three hours on white rat, on normal, and we haven't ever survived the ogre. He punched me up stairs, bounced off a wall, banked me 2000 feet deep into the cavern, and I landed on a pillar not connected to anything. Three assassins committed suicide trying to path to me. This mission is hell.

e: FUuuuuuuck finally. Finally we bombed the ogre dead before anyone got punched across the chasm.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 7, 2015

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Tonight was my night! Finally rolled a 7

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Krinkle posted:

I've spent three hours on white rat, on normal, and we haven't ever survived the ogre. He punched me up stairs, bounced off a wall, banked me 2000 feet deep into the cavern, and I landed on a pillar not connected to anything. Three assassins committed suicide trying to path to me. This mission is hell.

e: FUuuuuuuck finally. Finally we bombed the ogre dead before anyone got punched across the chasm.

The key to the rogre is to fight forward onto solid ground when he shows up, using your bombs to clear a path if you have to and then fighting him normally.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Night10194 posted:

The key to the rogre is to fight forward onto solid ground when he shows up, using your bombs to clear a path if you have to and then fighting him normally.

Also having someone focusing on the horde that inevitably shows up and making sure the ogre is always facing you to the wall helps.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
gently caress this game is fun. Any dwarf advice? everything seems too slow, especially ranged weps.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
For the 2h hammer and any shield combo, use the charge attack primarily. It hits a ton of targets, and can hit the whole horde if you swing the mouse from one side of the horde to the other as you attack. You don't need to fully charge the attack for it to do full damage, and once you get the timing down you can stun and kill very large groups of enemies without taking any hits.

For ranged, either luck out into some drakefire pistols or use the crossbow to 1-shot specials in the head.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Am I doing something wrong with the Bright Wizard? The secondary on the Conflag Staff feels like it's not usually that good. Seems like just wading in with the sword does more damage on a horde let alone what the 2h weapons on other classes can do. Between its charge time and the relative rarity of getting more than 4 or 5 skaven clumped up enough to hit it feels like it's almost always better to just clear them in melee. It diesn't even feel like it does that much damage in the initial blast, and the fire dot seems pretty low DPS.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
So there is a contest going on for vermintide right now and the top 10 win poo poo like a shirt and CE. Currently oval office SMASHER is ranked #9. I need to finish nightmare and cataclysm modes still as well as roll 7 dice :smith:
Who wants to help me win this contest? :buddy:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just had a rat ogre spawn out of thin air right in front of me as I was trying to snipe a hookrat dragging someone away :thumbsup:

I'm seeing some serious issues with the way this game spawns things.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zephro posted:

Am I doing something wrong with the Bright Wizard? The secondary on the Conflag Staff feels like it's not usually that good. Seems like just wading in with the sword does more damage on a horde let alone what the 2h weapons on other classes can do. Between its charge time and the relative rarity of getting more than 4 or 5 skaven clumped up enough to hit it feels like it's almost always better to just clear them in melee. It diesn't even feel like it does that much damage in the initial blast, and the fire dot seems pretty low DPS.

The main advantage of the conflag staff is that its secondary does not cause friendly fire on nightmare and above. At that point the rats also tend to have enough health that it's worth it to charge up for a second and lay waste to a whole bunch of them when there's a big horde. It's particularly useful when you're defending a spot and you have a frontline made up of a soldier and/or dwarf that cause the rats to bunch together nice and tightly.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Al Borland posted:

So there is a contest going on for vermintide right now and the top 10 win poo poo like a shirt and CE. Currently oval office SMASHER is ranked #9. I need to finish nightmare and cataclysm modes still as well as roll 7 dice :smith:
Who wants to help me win this contest? :buddy:

Might help if you link to the contest?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Mr Beens posted:

Might help if you link to the contest?

its achievement based as far as I can tell. They have some hidden acheievements I have no idea how to get called Karl Franz Nurglitch Doomwheel, etc... they don't explain how to get them either but my guess is do a map a bunch until you get them.

Nurglitch the well / cauldron destruction on moor
Doomwheel the engineer map.
Karl Franz: ??? No idea

Then theres conisseur too. which I have no idea how to get.

http://www.claimony.com/games/view/2739

E:
COmpetition
http://www.claimony.com/competition/view/12

E2:
Basically I'm after the extra copy of CE to give to another goon friend. Frankly we should all go for it and get more goons killing rats in this great game.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 7, 2015

Routah
Feb 6, 2012

Al Borland posted:

its achievement based as far as I can tell. They have some hidden acheievements I have no idea how to get called Karl Franz Nurglitch Doomwheel, etc... they don't explain how to get them either but my guess is do a map a bunch until you get them.

Nurglitch is two grimoires in Garden of Morr and Doomwheel is two grimoires in Engines of War.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I think these 8 are all the hidden achievements.

Clan Fester: Collect both Grimoires on The Horn of Magnus
Black Hunger: Collect both Grimoires on Supply and Demand
Lore of Warp: Collect both Grimoires on The Wizard's Tower
Doomwheel: Collect both Grimoires on Engines of War
Nurglitch: Collect both Grimoires on Garden of Morr
Untersreik: Collect both Grimoires on The Enemy Below

Someone said Karl Franz is for reaching level 100.

I haven't heard anything about Connoisseur. The icon is a luck gem, so it probably has something to do with collecting loot. Maybe getting an orange of every weapon, or having oranges in every slot on one/every character.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Perestroika posted:

The main advantage of the conflag staff is that its secondary does not cause friendly fire on nightmare and above. At that point the rats also tend to have enough health that it's worth it to charge up for a second and lay waste to a whole bunch of them when there's a big horde. It's particularly useful when you're defending a spot and you have a frontline made up of a soldier and/or dwarf that cause the rats to bunch together nice and tightly.
Thanks. I get that this is the theory :) But in practice it just feels kind of ineffective. By the time I've charged up a conflag my team mates have usually killed most of the rats in melee. When I do get one off it doesn't seem to do an awful lot of damage.

Admittedly I've only played on hard. Is the idea that it's too risky to wade into a big melee on nightmare, so having ranged aoe becomes relatively more useful? I guess it just feels a little underpowered and pointless compared to just meleeing stuff and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I usually don't take much damage when I play, but I don't tend to top damage done either.

Fake edit: how significant is the fire dot? Is it worth keeping rat ogres burning, for instance?

• Locked thread