Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."

Bizarrely this was discussed on a football (soccer) podcast in the UK last week as a spin off from Football Manager chat, so I knew this was the title without ever having seen the game! I don't think its famous here at all, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ChrisXP posted:

Bizarrely this was discussed on a football (soccer) podcast in the UK last week as a spin off from Football Manager chat, so I knew this was the title without ever having seen the game! I don't think its famous here at all, either.

I dunno about famous but I played it as a kid. Landing on the cans and timing the springboard jumps was real satisfying :3:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

The older SNES Final Fantasies had something similar too, where a spell could only be reflected by Wall once and thus you could bounce a spell off your own party and hit a boss who had a Wall of their own up. FF2/4 had it for sure.

This sounds like it might be right. If not that one, then an old final fantasy. Thanks, guys!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

sega genesis game.

You're on a grid, on a motorcycle of some sort. The camera is always positioned directly behind the player's motorbike as he traverses. I want to say there may have been orbs or something like that to collect. I know it isn't much to go by but maybe someone recalls it?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

khy posted:

sega genesis game.

You're on a grid, on a motorcycle of some sort. The camera is always positioned directly behind the player's motorbike as he traverses. I want to say there may have been orbs or something like that to collect. I know it isn't much to go by but maybe someone recalls it?

Burning Force, possibly?

https://youtu.be/aV1xjbveUoo?t=11m3s

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
NES game

top down racer in the style of micro machines, it had 4 racers on the screen 2 could be player controlled, unlike micro machines the track was limited to one screen, there were multiple maps available, help me

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Ramagamma posted:

NES game

top down racer in the style of micro machines, it had 4 racers on the screen 2 could be player controlled, unlike micro machines the track was limited to one screen, there were multiple maps available, help me
Super Sprint?

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off Road?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Trying to remember a game that was basically Total War: Rome except it came out long before Shogun, Rome and Medieval. The campaign map was around the Mediterranean coast, fighting barbarians and other Roman factions. Right now all I can find are TW and Caesar III etc.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

1 800 J JAMES posted:

Trying to remember a game that was basically Total War: Rome except it came out long before Shogun, Rome and Medieval. The campaign map was around the Mediterranean coast, fighting barbarians and other Roman factions. Right now all I can find are TW and Caesar III etc.

IIRC Caesar 2 had overworld map and tactical battles, as opposed to Caesar 3 focused just on city building

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

1 800 J JAMES posted:

Let's see, there's

-Warrior of Rome 1 and 2 for Genesis
-The Great Battles of Caesar
-Legions of Death way back on the C64/Amstrad
-Centurion: Defender of Rome which is turn-based
-Walls of Rome
-Annals of Rome

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Let's see, there's

-Centurion: Defender of Rome which is turn-based

Finally checked all the above and I think this is it, thanks!

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Here's a strange one. I remember a old VGA era PC RPG, pretty sure it was isometric and you had a party of 4 people. The thing that stands out in my mind is that at the start you could assign elements (fire water etc) to them and certain combinations would give you different classes. Like you give fire and wind to a guy he becomes a ninja, etc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Silvergun1000 posted:

Here's a strange one. I remember a old VGA era PC RPG, pretty sure it was isometric and you had a party of 4 people. The thing that stands out in my mind is that at the start you could assign elements (fire water etc) to them and certain combinations would give you different classes. Like you give fire and wind to a guy he becomes a ninja, etc.

You sure that's not Golden Sun on the GBA?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Could it be this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_(1992_video_game)

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

It is! Thank you!

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I'm trying to remember two arcade games from the end of the 80's/start of the 90's.

One you were playing a boat (only a boat, so it's not Spy Hunter), and you were transporting cargo. A gimmick was if you died, your rival would swoop in and grab the cargo and you had to blow him up to get it back (and you could miss it and hence end the stage without it). The first cargo you were transporting was a deadly virus, and the second was the Crown Jewels IIRC.

The second was a 2 1/2 D arcade game where you were going through some future building, your main weapon was a laser and bombs (which were recommended by the game to be used on bosses). I mainly remember it because it had a Loony Toons bit if you walked off an edge where the player character would walk on thin air, realize there was no ground, and then turn around and grab for the edge as he fell.

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong
I recently thought of an old DOS game I got from a shareware catalogue back in the day. It had ASCII graphics a bit like Hack, but in colour. You explored a dungeon, and instead of being one continuous adventure, you could leave at any time to buy things with any gold you found, a bit like the old D&D game.

From what I remember of the mechanics, there were some gimmicky things like how some rooms had water on the floor, you would track mud around as you moved and moss could grow, which I think you could then set on fire. I seem to recall light sources played a significant part; the dungeon entrance guy would give you a free torch if you didn't have one like at the start of the game, and most rooms had a big torch in the centre you sometimes had to light manually. You opened chests and picked up gold by hitting them with your sword, which extended into the square in front of you when you swung.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Cornwind Evil posted:

I'm trying to remember two arcade games from the end of the 80's/start of the 90's.

One you were playing a boat (only a boat, so it's not Spy Hunter), and you were transporting cargo. A gimmick was if you died, your rival would swoop in and grab the cargo and you had to blow him up to get it back (and you could miss it and hence end the stage without it). The first cargo you were transporting was a deadly virus, and the second was the Crown Jewels IIRC.

Possibly Hydra?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Prenton posted:

Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off Road?

I played this a lot in an arcade

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Cornwind Evil posted:

The second was a 2 1/2 D arcade game where you were going through some future building, your main weapon was a laser and bombs (which were recommended by the game to be used on bosses). I mainly remember it because it had a Loony Toons bit if you walked off an edge where the player character would walk on thin air, realize there was no ground, and then turn around and grab for the edge as he fell.

Hey, I remember this one. It was Escape from the Planet of Robot Monsters

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

There was a super old DOS game where all the colors were cyan and magenta and it was kind of a turn-based strategy thing where you had a world/area all split up into territories and some territories had resources to claim and you could move horses from one territory to another

That's all I remember and I hope someone recognizes it from this

There was also a game I think for DOS also that was in full-color and also a big turn-based strategy thing; it had a wizard at the top of the screen who would do animations for a lot of things and also you could send heroes on quests or something like that

An Actual Princess fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 19, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jia posted:

There was a super old DOS game where all the colors were cyan and magenta and it was kind of a turn-based strategy thing where you had a world/area all split up into territories and some territories had resources to claim and you could move horses from one territory to another

Lords of Midnight?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Jia posted:

If it's not what Hakkesshu said the perhaps Lords of Conquest

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hal Incandenza posted:

I just looked at Lords of Midnight and I think Hakk maybe meant the same game I did actually.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Hal Incandenza posted:

Oh man this is 100% it thank you

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Trying to remember a game (I forget the genre) where at some point in the plot you have a flashback to when you were a kid on the farm. I think you were a boy. Anyway you're on the farm with your racist father and somewhat decent mother, and a drifter man visits the farm looking for some work. The father tries to chase him off but the mother says give him work, and he does the work but the father doesn't pay him afterwards. The drifter man teaches the kid about signs you find on posts to indicate what kind of home a place is for other drifters, and he scrawls the sign for like danger. You end up using these signs later in the game for like some dumb puzzle or something?

I figure it must be one of those Quantic games but IDK

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

The Interloper posted:

I recently thought of an old DOS game I got from a shareware catalogue back in the day. It had ASCII graphics a bit like Hack, but in colour. You explored a dungeon, and instead of being one continuous adventure, you could leave at any time to buy things with any gold you found, a bit like the old D&D game.

From what I remember of the mechanics, there were some gimmicky things like how some rooms had water on the floor, you would track mud around as you moved and moss could grow, which I think you could then set on fire. I seem to recall light sources played a significant part; the dungeon entrance guy would give you a free torch if you didn't have one like at the start of the game, and most rooms had a big torch in the centre you sometimes had to light manually. You opened chests and picked up gold by hitting them with your sword, which extended into the square in front of you when you swung.

This sounds like it might possibly be Deadly Rooms of Death?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Rascyc posted:

Trying to remember a game (I forget the genre) where at some point in the plot you have a flashback to when you were a kid on the farm. I think you were a boy. Anyway you're on the farm with your racist father and somewhat decent mother, and a drifter man visits the farm looking for some work. The father tries to chase him off but the mother says give him work, and he does the work but the father doesn't pay him afterwards. The drifter man teaches the kid about signs you find on posts to indicate what kind of home a place is for other drifters, and he scrawls the sign for like danger. You end up using these signs later in the game for like some dumb puzzle or something?

I figure it must be one of those Quantic games but IDK

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Mad Men (season 1, episode 8) where Don has a flashback to when he was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhYTRYjPWdk&t=2m45s

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy does have magical hobos in it, but not anything like that flashback

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong

packetmantis posted:

This sounds like it might possibly be Deadly Rooms of Death?

Sadly not. Mine was definitely text-mode 80x25 visuals, and had no sound except slight ticking noises from the PC speaker.

I'd be surprised if anyone else had heard of it, to be honest. I should still have it somewhere but it could take months to find without a name, and that's only if the old floppy disks still work after 20-odd years.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Mad Men (season 1, episode 8) where Don has a flashback to when he was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhYTRYjPWdk&t=2m45s
lmao thank you so much

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm trying to think of a shmup, for PC, sometime in the 90s or early 00s at the very latest. It was a vertical scroller, with lots of ship customization, branching mission paths, and a ton of hidden levels and Easter eggs.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm trying to think of a shmup, for PC, sometime in the 90s or early 00s at the very latest. It was a vertical scroller, with lots of ship customization, branching mission paths, and a ton of hidden levels and Easter eggs.

Tyrian, maybe?

E: http://www.gog.com/game/tyrian_2000

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yep that's the one! How expedient.

DYAR
Oct 8, 2002

There is one game that's been driving me nuts that I can't find til this day, because I only played it for about a day or so until they took it away at my local arcade back in the 80's. Here is what I can remember.
- It was mostly 1 vs 1 fighting.
- You could move up/down on the Y-axis.
- There were sometimes multiple enemies, but not like Final Fight quantity.
- This makes searching between "fighting game", "brawler", or "beat em up" really difficult to pin down.

Things I KIND OF remember.
- The setting was Colosseum-like. Greek/Roman Gods type of stuff.
- You could choose other characters.

Why I want to find this game so bad.
When the game was removed from arcade, I was left with very little impressions, except for this humanoid bird-type of character. I drew him all the time. I even put him on the clear, front insert of my folder. I think me drawing him so much was my way to remember and preserve what little memory I had left of the game. Here's what I remember about him.
- His main features like wings, mohawk, and claw feet were purple.
- His secondary color was gray.
- He wore wrestling-shaped champion belt.
- There might have been an initial on it or not, can't remember.
- The belt was gold plated, like Zangief's. Possibly his arm bracers too.
- There were super moves, this guy would carry you up in the air and meteor slam you back to the ground.

Here's a drawing for reference, and I drew him with his arms crossed all the time because I believe that's how he walked around the arena. Like with a snobby, elite fighter attitude.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Try picking through here, you might get lucky.

DYAR
Oct 8, 2002

Pneub posted:

Try picking through here, you might get lucky.

That's a good link! I've seen a lot of list on YouTube and some websites, but not this one. *Crossing fingers*

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TheGune posted:

That's a good link! I've seen a lot of list on YouTube and some websites, but not this one. *Crossing fingers*
Looking at that list I think it's Metamorphic Force, there's a birdman boss that looks really similar to what you drew at 6:07 in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXfDHpUerHc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Trying to remember a pseudo 3D space game that was in the works, I think they released a demo or tech demo or something in the past year.

It had a long-ish name, it's reminiscent of the original Wing Commander where it's pretty much all sprites.