Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

I confirm how amazingly awesome these are.

I just wish there was a list of which planes have the 360 cockpit, so you don't have to poke around guessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SyHopeful posted:

Right, they could invade a totally unrelated country on false premises, for example.

I mean, I guess we could totally change the subject if you want.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SyHopeful posted:

Right, they could invade a totally unrelated country on false premises, for example.

They're doing that already, don't worry. Two different unrelated countries, even.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Ola posted:

That's the *thunk* to which they settle when they're still. You'd think it was straight and level, but no. There needs to be some sort of spin, some sort of gyrating motion to put a flying man and his gauge on the straight and narrow.. When the flight ends.. my dear, when it ends....the gauge and the man, they fall over to the side and they fly no more.

I guess it makes sense, you'd want it to be obvious if the gyros crap out.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Much more obvious (and to the point) is the red "off" flag. The right bank is almost certainly a random position that the non-spinning, non-erect gyro platform assumed after spinning down.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

vessbot posted:

Much more obvious (and to the point) is the red "off" flag. The right bank is almost certainly a random position that the non-spinning, non-erect gyro platform assumed after spinning down.
After 20-odd years, I still use the word "erection" as often as possible in my maintenance paperwork, because I am actually 13. I also try to work in a "cockpit blower" every now and then even though it's not really the right terminology for the flight deck recirc fan.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
On the list of things not to tell your passengers

quote:

BREAKING Thomson flight attacked by rocket on approach to Sharm El Sheikh

According to the Daily Mail, on August 23, a Thomson flight from London Stansted with 189 passengers on board came ‘within 1,000ft’ of a rocket as it approached Sharm El Sheikh.
The pilot turned left after he spotted the missile speeding through the air.
The jet landed safely, and holidaymakers were not told they had been seconds from disaster.

The Department for Transport confirmed the incident.

http://www.airlive.net/2015/11/breaking-thomson-flight-attacked-by.html?m=1

Assuming it's accurate of course.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Niven posted:

Well it missed... :downs:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Niven posted:

I have troubles believing the story of an airliner that spots a rocket and dodge it.

Or it was not a rocket aimed at the airplane in the first place.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Cat Mattress posted:

I have troubles believing the story of an airliner that spots a rocket and dodge it.

Probably some dudes trying for a lucky shot with an RPG...believe El Al has taken a few similar potshots with equal effect in the past decade or two.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
From the Guardian version of the story:

quote:

The Department for Transport (DfT) confirmed that the incident took place but said it did not believe the missile was an attempt to target the British plane, instead ascribing the missile seen by the Thomson pilots to Egyptian military manoeuvres

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cat Mattress posted:

It's perfectly believable considering the prevalence of RPGs in the region. I can easily see Akbar and Jeff Terrorist firing off an RPG at an airliner and being disappointed when they inevitably missed because it's a loving unguided anti-tank rocket, not a guided missile.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Ola posted:

That's the *thunk* to which they settle when they're still. You'd think it was straight and level, but no. There needs to be some sort of spin, some sort of gyrating motion to put a flying man and his gauge on the straight and narrow.. When the flight ends.. my dear, when it ends....the gauge and the man, they fall over to the side and they fly no more.

vessbot posted:

In mechanical times, the gyro was already no longer contained in the instrument itself, but the attitude info is taken from the INS/AHRS and transmitted to the ADI using a 26VAC 400Hz synchro system. If power is lost to the display or the signal itself , the ADI will just sit there like an idiot and not tilt or topple by itself, even though the gyro itself might still be powered by a battery. In these systems there is too much mechanical resistance in the ADI to allow the unit to move by itself, but in smaller systems where the attitude indicator has its own self-contained gyro and there is a mechanical link, obviously the resistance has to be a low as possible and this can happen, but the B70 was probably a bit too high-budget for that. Electro mechanical ADIs have full mobility from +/-180deg bank and +/-90deg pitch, and definitely do not "thunk".

The instruments in question are probably unserviceable examples they pulled out of a bin somewhere to fill a partially-canniballized flightdeck, as this is usually what happens after an aircraft lands for the last time and before a decision is made to donate it to a museum. The ADI, HSI and other complex navigational equipment are the most expensive parts of any flightdeck, and never bespoke for the aircraft they're installed in.
It's probably worth pointing out that the angles displayed in the aircraft in question are the same that most ADIs show if you push the "test" button when it's powered. The red flag indicates that the display itself is unpowered, not what the status of the INS or attitude gyro is. To that end, there are a minimum of three attitude indicators present in every large aircraft and crosschecking indications is usually a pretty big deal. Older aircraft with mechanical ADIs already had comparators that turned on a little red light on all attitude displays if one of the instruments indicated a different pitch or bank angle.

Sadly this did not stop a Korean cargo 747 from flying into the ground north of London about 20 years ago, because god the captain thought he was only banking a little bit, despite both the standby and the FO's ADI correctly telling the crew the aircraft was on its side.

Oh, and:

:flaccid:

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 7, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Do you know how many planes I've shot down with an rpg in call of Duty though???

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Acid Reflux posted:

After 20-odd years, I still use the word "erection" as often as possible in my maintenance paperwork, because I am actually 13. I also try to work in a "cockpit blower" every now and then even though it's not really the right terminology for the flight deck recirc fan.

The old AHRS system we used had a directional gyro in the belly of the plane near the CG and 400Hz synchros up to the ADIs. Because of the location of the system, moisture intrusion was a problem. Every now and again, the power would go out in the DG and the system wouldn't come online fast enough. That's when we'd get a yellow caution "ERECTION FAIL" light, and giggle like teenagers. The other fun thing that could happen is moisture in the connector partially-shorting the synchro lines, so the ADIs would spin wildly until the compartment heated up enough to drive the water out, then they'd be solid.

Laser-ring gyros with digital outputs to air data computers that output to flat-panel displays just don't have the same character.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
I like to use the term "impotent" for all that new-fangled plastic digital LCD-CANBUS-ASCB barbie crap. You get the idea.

Digital planes have no soul.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cat Mattress posted:

It doesn't say he dodged it, it says it missed. Just because he reacted doesn't mean that maneuver had anything to do with the miss.

Edit: But it's a hell of a story to tell at the airport bar, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Back off my Ring Laser Gyros.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

I stand corrected, thanks! I figured that they are repeaters of a remote gyro platform (hence the identical indication) but did not know that it was impervious to going off kilter after spinning down. And I especially did not know there's a test button that makes the indicators show a certain bank.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Well, I really didn't want to suggest it was impervious to anything, but the signals from the INS will be flagged as invalid before the gyro even gets a chance to get close to spinning down. That's one of the things they thought of when they designed these systems.

As babyeathingsycho says, these systems have interesting failure modes and they really need to be triple redundant for safety. I had one (the same one which I scrapped and is now sitting in a nice cabinet in my living room) which went in failure/test mode very very briefly randomly about once every hour and turned the ATT lights on. Like it had a hiccup or something. And good luck getting a 1972 mechanical ADI fixed in TYOOL 2014.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Egyptian government has formally denied the missile story. On the other hand, they're still formally denying there was an explosion, so whatever. The thing that most worries me in the thread I linked to is that "[a stranded tourist] also described witnessing “officials” at Sharm el-Sheikh airport offering tourists the chance to skip the passport control queue for £20 a head." Yes, my continuing faith in the integrity of Egyptian security around the planes themselves remains invisible to the naked eye.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

drat. £20? That's a cheap offer even by third world standards.

Re rockets: don't El Al have IRCM systems these days because of that threat?

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Godholio posted:

"So how'd you get into bartending?"

"Well this one time I was flying out of Egypt..."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I've been staring for 15 minues, but my brain refuses to accept it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Your moms dildo etc etc

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
That is a Myasishchev VM-T Atlant. A variation of the Bison bomber that was designed for transporting various large objects to the Baikonur Cosmodrome.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM.... I'm actually NOT bothered by this avatar
:crossarms: "Comrade Director, the new engines do not make as much thrust as we were told. I am not sure the prototype will be complete in time for Victory Day parade."
:commissar: "This is unacceptable, Vasily. We must not disappoint the Premier. You will make the prototype fly. I do not care how."
:crossarms: "I...well...I have heard that the Ishevsk natural gas plant has a surplus of helium this month. Perhaps there is a way..."

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Egyptian government has formally denied the missile story. On the other hand, they're still formally denying there was an explosion, so whatever. The thing that most worries me in the thread I linked to is that "[a stranded tourist] also described witnessing “officials” at Sharm el-Sheikh airport offering tourists the chance to skip the passport control queue for £20 a head." Yes, my continuing faith in the integrity of Egyptian security around the planes themselves remains invisible to the naked eye.

its a whole new level of incompetence if you decide to conduct missile exercises of any kind, ground to ground or not, near the same airport where people are speculating a missile shoot-down occurred

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

its a whole new level of incompetence if you decide to conduct missile exercises of any kind, ground to ground or not, near the same airport where people are speculating a missile shoot-down occurred

The British flight happened back in August.

Not to mention that the whole story sounds kinda hokey. They saw the rocket coming at them and evaded it? I mean come on. Sounds more like something you'd hear prefaced by "So there I was, on approach to a runway in Angola with one engine on fire, 75 passengers including a pregnant woman who had just gone into labor, and a cargo hold full of CIA heroin..."

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

C.M. Kruger posted:

"So there I was, on approach to a runway in Angola with one engine on fire, 75 passengers including a pregnant woman who had just gone into labor, and a cargo hold full of CIA heroin..."

Checks out, except the 75 passengers were Safrican mercenaries and the cargo hold was full of SIS gold.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tsuru posted:

And good luck getting a 1972 mechanical ADI fixed in TYOOL 2014.

In ~2007, we were finding that roughly one in three "overhauled" (circa-1972 DC-10, mechanical) ADIs we pulled off the shelf were DOA in one form or another, either due to poor overhaul, shelf death, whatever.

Nothing throws your troubleshooting off quite like swapping an indicator, and getting a DIFFERENT fault.

:arghfist: Finnair parts.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

:crossarms: "Comrade Director, the new engines do not make as much thrust as we were told. I am not sure the prototype will be complete in time for Victory Day parade."
:commissar: "This is unacceptable, Vasily. We must not disappoint the Premier. You will make the prototype fly. I do not care how."
:crossarms: "I...well...I have heard that the Ishevsk natural gas plant has a surplus of helium this month. Perhaps there is a way..."

It's a booster for the Buran space shuttle.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CharlesM posted:

That'll give you some thrust.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

The British flight happened back in August.

Not to mention that the whole story sounds kinda hokey. They saw the rocket coming at them and evaded it? I mean come on. Sounds more like something you'd hear prefaced by "So there I was, on approach to a runway in Angola with one engine on fire, 75 passengers including a pregnant woman who had just gone into labor, and a cargo hold full of CIA heroin..."

Even if a rocket misses its probably a good idea to fly away from the location of people with rockets that may or may not be trying to shoot you down.

Incidentally why wild weasel pilots are insane.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

hobbesmaster posted:

Incidentally why wild weasel pilots are insane.

There's a reason their motto is YGTBSM.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CharlesM posted:

Or a fuel tank. But whatever.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

hobbesmaster posted:

Incidentally why wild weasel pilots are insanely badass.

Fixed that for you.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Godholio posted:

It doesn't say he dodged it, it says it missed. Just because he reacted doesn't mean that maneuver had anything to do with the miss.

That may have been a RPG, but this BBC article says that the Sinai Province jihadist group has shot down an army helicopter with a SAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Saukkis posted:

That may have been a RPG, but this BBC article says that the Sinai Province jihadist group has shot down an army helicopter with a SAM.

It says SAM but it cold easily be a MANPADS since they didnt actually say what they were suspected of having and you're talking about a helicopter. The plane was above the reach of a MANPADS.