Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Since we're revealing our darkest automotive fantasies, I'm mulling the idea of buying a first or second generation Taurus SHO. I know the V8s were loving miserable but I can't think of a good reason not to pull the trigger on this if a cheap one pops up with a stick shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

slidebite posted:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/medicine-hat/tiger-truck-1984-nissan-4-x-4/1114914256?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

If this thing actually runs and the body is in half as good of shape as it looks, hell, it's worth it.

The Tiger wrap is just the icing on the cake.

e: Have fun reading about your favorite places to eat!
http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/707.asp

I would drive the poo poo out of that. But I'd need to rename myself Tony.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/medicine-hat/tiger-truck-1984-nissan-4-x-4/1114914256?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

If this thing actually runs and the body is in half as good of shape as it looks, hell, it's worth it.

The Tiger wrap is just the icing on the cake.

quote:

Body Type Pickup Truck
Transmission Manual
Drivetrain 4 x 4
This was essentially my search terms back in May when I bought my Ranger. I was looking for an extended cab on top of that list (plus a canopy, easily added later), but that kickass paint job + rollbar would have very much substituted for that.

EDIT:

1500quidporsche posted:

Since we're revealing our darkest automotive fantasies, I'm mulling the idea of buying a first or second generation Taurus SHO. I know the V8s were loving miserable but I can't think of a good reason not to pull the trigger on this if a cheap one pops up with a stick shift.
I'm unfamiliar with the Taurus except as some vague memories of stupid TV ads talking about ovals. But I GIS'd "taurus SHO 1990" after a quick look at the Wikipedia article, to make sure I was looking at 1st gen.
Boring looks on the outside (so many of them were apparently "fleet vehicle white"), good-looking interior, and silly engine mods all day long.

Go for it!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 3, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I still really want an SS with a stick, but the dollar is so crap it's just mental to go down south and buy one.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ExecuDork posted:

EDIT:

I'm unfamiliar with the Taurus except as some vague memories of stupid TV ads talking about ovals. But I GIS'd "taurus SHO 1990" after a quick look at the Wikipedia article, to make sure I was looking at 1st gen.
Boring looks on the outside (so many of them were apparently "fleet vehicle white"), good-looking interior, and silly engine mods all day long.

Go for it!

Yeah my memory is real fuzzy but I recall you could swap in the 3.2 into the manual with a 3.0 cam and it'd make decent power.

My main priority would be swapping the bumpers over so it looks like a run of the mill lovely Vulcan engine one.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
If you want a rare unicorn thing, there were 7 Volvo V70 turbo wagons from 99 that were manual and awd. They were only available in Canada and only that year. There was one for sale in Banff this year.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Or you can buy this turbo, manual Volvo wagon so it can stop taunting me:

http://m.kijiji.ca/cars-trucks/winnipeg/safetied-well-maintained-volvo/v?adId=1113472955&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=1446580968652

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

iv46vi posted:

If you want a rare unicorn thing, there were 7 Volvo V70 turbo wagons from 99 that were manual and awd. They were only available in Canada and only that year. There was one for sale in Banff this year.

This is basically my perfect car. AWD, manual, turbo, wagon. I'd drive it like an rear end in a top hat (I am an rear end in a top hat), over terrible, terrible roads, all winter long, salt, grit, sand, dust, literal poo poo would cover it inside and out between weekly over-enthusiastic pressure washes, and like my dead bimmer it would be ruined and unsalvageable in less than 3 years.

I am not good at cars. :(

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

1500quidporsche posted:

Since we're revealing our darkest automotive fantasies,

I've been getting way too interested in a Duramax swapped 3rd gen camaro so I can roll coal on bro trucks

And McTinkerson is not helping me here - he's a horrible enabler

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DrakeriderCa posted:

I've been getting way too interested in a Duramax swapped 3rd gen camaro so I can roll coal on bro trucks

And McTinkerson is not helping me here - he's a horrible enabler

You think AI has been a bad influence on YOU.

I dont want to tease a bunch, because baring a huge payday, that particular project is at least a year out, and there' a good chance this is gonna end up as a dummy block, but still, they're feet apart, yearning to be together.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone just replied to my kijiji ad wanting to trade my Rubicon for a restored 1968 airstream.

Apparently one of only 3 years where the windows curved with the structure.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

You think AI has been a bad influence on YOU.

I dont want to tease a bunch, because baring a huge payday, that particular project is at least a year out, and there' a good chance this is gonna end up as a dummy block, but still, they're feet apart, yearning to be together.

Holy poo poo, what engine is that?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Something modern and pushroddy at least.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

Holy poo poo, what engine is that?

Well, it's 4 liters smaller than the current engine and it's missing a couple cylinders, but it's got two of these adorable little snails hanging on for dear life.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Something modern and pushroddy at least.

I dont think that would solve the biggest problem with the car, which is the 8mpg. This might. it gets 20mpg in a larger heavier truck with 4 wheel drive.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I really want to say Biturbo engine just because of the size of the pressure plate and the fact that it has two turbos.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

I really want to say Biturbo engine just because of the size of the pressure plate and the fact that it has two turbos.

It's a 3.5 ecoboost.

You can be drat sure though if it works, it's geting a biturbo badge.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Hmm. I thought it was pretty narrow for a DOHC vee engine, but a pushrod engine would probably have, you know, some indication of a cam being above the crankshaft and all.

I'm going to blame it being photographed from the flexplate side, and also the office being out of coffee this morning.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

I am INTENSELY interested in this proto-project. The last time we talked about our automotive aspirations together, my GF told me she'd really like a classic American musclecar, something from the movie American Graffiti, but with a much more fuel-efficient engine swapped in. I told her how impressed I am with the Ecoboost engines, at least on paper, and she agreed that an old Ford with a new Ecoboost under the hood would check all the boxes for her. I got the impression she'd love anything that fits into her definition of "classic American muscle" but that's all looks and the performance is irrelevant - she wants to cruise up and down the main drag and just be cool. I figure anything from the late 1950's to the mid 1970's would fit.

EDIT: I told her I wanted a BMW 850i with a supercharger and a vinyl wrap to make it resemble a Focke-Wulf FW190, and she called me names I refuse to remember.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 4, 2015

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

All hail the 3.5L EB, where with proper exhaust flow and a good IC magic things happen: http://www.full-race.com/articles/full-race-f-150-ecoboost-dyno-testing.php

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McTinkerson posted:

All hail the 3.5L EB, where with proper exhaust flow and a good IC magic things happen: http://www.full-race.com/articles/full-race-f-150-ecoboost-dyno-testing.php

Interesting. Huge gains to be had at low rpm v/e, but looks like the turbos ultimately run out of volume up top. Not sure I'd run a tune like that on a work truck but in something like the awd taurus it would run like a big block.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Speaking of big blocks, one of our work pickups, a 2004 GM... Has a factory 502 big block in it. Wtf ? Not sure if its an LS based motor or a normal BBC. Interesting though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
They did an 8.1L Vorteclike for the HD trucks. I think it has an LS-style ignition system (8 coil packs) and a front mounted throttle body if so. Otherwise no idea what it is.

jonathan posted:

Interesting. Huge gains to be had at low rpm v/e, but looks like the turbos ultimately run out of volume up top. Not sure I'd run a tune like that on a work truck but in something like the awd taurus it would run like a big block.

Livernois has documented a few times that the stock (very teensy) turbos are a pretty substantial flow restriction. I seem to remember porting the turbos didn't open up that much headroom either, and there was only a little bit of room for bigger turbos before the fueling system can no longer keep up.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Hmm. I thought it was pretty narrow for a DOHC vee engine, but a pushrod engine would probably have, you know, some indication of a cam being above the crankshaft and all.

I'm going to blame it being photographed from the flexplate side, and also the office being out of coffee this morning.

I stared at it for like 15 minutes last night, I saw the bank angle but it didn't register "hey this is a 60 degree engine and probably not a V8". Sad part being I've done intake gaskets on the non-EB variant so I should've recognized it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They did an 8.1L Vorteclike for the HD trucks. I think it has an LS-style ignition system (8 coil packs) and a front mounted throttle body if so. Otherwise no idea what it is.

Livernois has documented a few times that the stock (very teensy) turbos are a pretty substantial flow restriction. I seem to remember porting the turbos didn't open up that much headroom either, and there was only a little bit of room for bigger turbos before the fueling system can no longer keep up.

Yeah, the turbos are very tiny, about the size of my fist. I'm driving a pickup with the engine right now and it makes the most adorable little turbo noises. Almost like driving the BMW 2002 turbo in forza.

This engine came out with what we suspect is a bent rod, depending on what shape the block is in, it'll either be a bottom end rebuild or a new short block. Then an engine computer and transmission from a 2wd and it's game on. Just eyeballing doing simple measurements, it looks drat near bolt in. It should move the transmission far enough ahead that the firewall will only need a mild hammering.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I think there's some immobilizer bullshit to deal with on the factory Ford ECU, so not sure how much of the original car you'd have to drag in with the 2WD computer. I'm sure someone knows. I think the guy who did the Ecoboost swap into the F100 started off by pulling in almost the entire dash and then started hacking poo poo off.

For the 2.0L Ecoboost Ford sells a pricey-rear end engine control pack that has an entire replacement harness and an ECU with no immobilizer. Apparently you can't just directly swap it out for a factory ECU in a factory car, either ("NOTE: Installation of this PCM in a Focus ST will result in a no-start condition.") so it probably sniffs canbus for something that shouldn't be present on a race car and then commits suicide.

edit:

There's much more knowledge about how the Coyote works, so I assume it's pretty similar. Reportedly Ford PATS works OK in a kit car with the factory ECU with just the ECU, ignition switch and the key from the original car. It won't kill itself if half of the BCM is missing like a GM. Sounds like pre-2011 ECUs are a little more lenient, so I'd aim for that if you can.

Apparently HP Tuners can disable the PATS for you but you have to send it to them.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 4, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ford sells a stand alone ecu for like 1400 but if you're using the stock Trans you can pull the ecu and a few can bus modules and make it chooch. I'd have it running on the bench before pulling the car apart though.

edit: ugh. i found a set of 73 yellow on blue plates, but in order to run them you need vintage rego, which pretty much only lets you do parades and poo poo with it.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 5, 2015

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

It's a normal 4 bolt 502 big block. They didn't phase the big blocks out until 2007.5 I believe.

Edit: Not a normal 4 bolt 502.

Nomex fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 5, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

This engine?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Big-Block_engine#L18

They should have put that in half ton and called it the 496SS or something like that.

Also, the grandpa cars are coming out in kijiji pretty strongly right now. Some of them are comically high but interesting nevertheless.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/only-348km-all-original-1979-lincoln-continental-mark-v/1115248580
ONLY $25K

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/1966-strato-chief-incredible-condition/1060247210?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/1977-lincoln-town-car/1115667832?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...gationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...gationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/serious-enquiries-only/1115262421?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Might actually be worth it

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/1976-buick-lasabre/1114984986?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, there are some wonderful boats floating around. It's a shame there's no magic bullet quick fix for the fuel economy. 25 cents a km in fuel sucks.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/mercury-gran-marquis-brougham/1092009617?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

This would be pretty boss to cover up the cop livery stuff with wood grain.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://youtu.be/Lq9NHCvOiZw

South of GP

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That video is just one stereotype after another

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Almost all of the stereotypes. Didn't see any cousin-wives, so only four stars.

phade
Oct 8, 2006
So who's going to go buy that Porsche 928 at Michener on the 14th? I'm working overseas at the moment otherwise I'd be all over that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It doesn't look bad and also doesn't appear to be a Japanese import. Scariest thing is it looks like the previous owner has the interior dash kickpanels off which means he was probably trying to chase down some electrical gremlins which could be :suicide: on that car.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Porsche 928 has always been one of my dream cars. Unfortunately during my teen years my dad was constantly working on my uncle's Audi A8 that had the same magic de-sleeving cylinder wall trick that the 928 first started so I've kinda soured to the idea of owning one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Porsche 928 has always been one of my dream cars. Unfortunately during my teen years my dad was constantly working on my uncle's Audi A8 that had the same magic de-sleeving cylinder wall trick that the 928 first started so I've kinda soured to the idea of owning one.

It's truly amazing how all of my friends who own German cars have owned not one, not two, but multiple German shitmobiles that have truly exotic and marginally unbelievable failure modes.

And they still want more.

I guess I can't judge because Italian cars do weird things to me.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Hey man, the Scirocco has been admirably reliable considering it was supposed to be crushed at pick n pull at some point in its life and I beat the poo poo out of it by entering it into the Loop every year. :colbert:

The only time its truly broken down on me was after I threw in the 16v engine and then filled it up with premium for the first time. Apparently the beat up spark plug wires with insulation scrapped off didn't like that.

I always get as far as going out to look at German cars and then just convince myself that I got incredibly lucky with the Scirocco and lightning doesn't strike twice.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A 928 is one of those cars that I have a completely irrational lust for. I am genuinely thinking of making the trip just for that. Is there a way to tell if it's running or not? Are any of you guys going for sure? Powershift?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I might be tempted to go out and take a look. Although I don't have the budget or appetite to take on something like a 928 right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

A 928 is one of those cars that I have a completely irrational lust for. I am genuinely thinking of making the trip just for that. Is there a way to tell if it's running or not? Are any of you guys going for sure? Powershift?

I might be going. Gonna scout it later this week if I head in. It's in the running rows so it well definitely start and drive across the block. Beyond that is anybody's guess.