Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Radish posted:

I don't want to get into a quagmire where we are stuck occupying Kansas for decades after going in there.
Look, the alternative is allowing a despot to ruin the lives of many Kansians. We have the chance to bring democracy to Kansas, and establish a stronghold in the region. We'll be greeted as liberators!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
The best solution at this point is to quietly cut off all roads leading out of Kansas and to loop them around into roads leading back into Kansas. After that, they can just announce all airports have been closed to save precious tax dollars. Once that's done, all that's left is to watch.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Adventure Pigeon posted:

The best solution at this point is to quietly cut off all roads leading out of Kansas and to loop them around into roads leading back into Kansas. After that, they can just announce all airports have been closed to save precious tax dollars. Once that's done, all that's left is to watch.

Who do we repopulate it with?

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
People would just cross the border off-road and over the prairies. The best solution is a fence imo.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Can't we arm and support a Kiowa insurgency in carving out a semi-autonomous zone to give us a foothold in the region?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Crowsbeak posted:

After we build the Great Kansan Kontainment Wall, we can set the region aside as a testament to how hosed it all got. Like that one New Twilight Zone episode with the atomic fallout shelter.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It might be interesting to track the degree to which Kansas is cited by politicians in neighboring states. I mean, they're all pushing the same poo poo, but I wonder if they've stopped mentioning Kansas by name when trying to sell it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

My dad is active in an Oklahoma Tea Party group (with the delightfully fascist name 9/12 Society or somesuch) and during Brownback's honeymoon they invited him to events in Oklahoma, my dad went on about how Sebelius left the state with no money in the treasury, Brownback is going to revitalize the economy and let the job creators get to work, etc etc. He hasn't mentioned him for quite a while now so it seems like the Oklahoma Tea Party has just quietly let Kansas fall to the wayside while continuing the push for the same civilization-wrecking policies to destroy anything good and light surviving in Oklahoma.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

anything good and light surviving in Oklahoma.

Lol

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:( Hey.

At least we're not Kansas :colbert:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I blame the DNC more than anyone else, because Brownback was a known quantity when they took Sebelius. He was angling to be governor for years, and everyone knew that it would take a special kind of centrist to get the JoCo vote.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

VitalSigns posted:

My dad is active in an Oklahoma Tea Party group (with the delightfully fascist name 9/12 Society or somesuch) and during Brownback's honeymoon they invited him to events in Oklahoma, my dad went on about how Sebelius left the state with no money in the treasury, Brownback is going to revitalize the economy and let the job creators get to work, etc etc. He hasn't mentioned him for quite a while now so it seems like the Oklahoma Tea Party has just quietly let Kansas fall to the wayside while continuing the push for the same civilization-wrecking policies to destroy anything good and light surviving in Oklahoma.

i'm with you

i wish my home state would not try to make sure it remains a shithole for all eternity

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I blame the DNC more than anyone else, because Brownback was a known quantity when they took Sebelius. He was angling to be governor for years, and everyone knew that it would take a special kind of centrist to get the JoCo vote.

Nah screw that.
The opposing party is to blame for our success and subsequent failure is too fantastical even for the GOP.
They just loving suck.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Adventure Pigeon posted:

The best solution at this point is to quietly cut off all roads leading out of Kansas and to loop them around into roads leading back into Kansas. After that, they can just announce all airports have been closed to save precious tax dollars.
No need. It's a natural feature: http://www.theonion.com/article/30-years-of-mans-life-disappear-in-mysterious-kans-2444

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
So... how was it the case that they were going to cut all funding to the judiciary a month ago and nothing has imploded yet?

Did they just... back down?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

My problem with letting Kansas serve as a warning is that they don't actually seem to be learning anything from it. Despite the objective failures in Kansas, other states are still incorporating similar fiscal policies, and talking about how good these policies are.

I'm not sure the idea "if it gets bad enough it'll change" actually works.

That's because the economy has not affected rich folks yet. They are enjoying their tax breaks now, but wait until the crime rate starts to rise.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

kiimo posted:

You're talking about funneling money to Lawrence and Johnson County, the rest of the state fears this above all else.

I don't think there are enough Democrats in JoCo to make a difference. The only reason it was so close last election (49% Brownback to 47% Davis) was because there was a 3rd party Libertarian candidate that siphoned off 3% of the vote that would've gone to Brownback.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

ikanreed posted:

So... how was it the case that they were going to cut all funding to the judiciary a month ago and nothing has imploded yet?

Did they just... back down?

The court ruling which would have struck down the law containing the "dead man's switch" for judicial funding was placed on hold, pending appeal of the dead man's switch provisions. To my understanding, it's currently pending review in federal courts.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Crowsbeak posted:

Native Americans.

Imprison the conservative population of Kansas for life. Give everyone left $250000 and tell them to git to another part of the country. Close some of the poorer and smaller Indian reservations. Tell them they need to work together to form a new tribe and they can just have Kansas.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

enraged_camel posted:

That's because the economy has not affected rich folks yet. They are enjoying their tax breaks now, but wait until the crime rate starts to rise.

They'll just adopt measures like Ferguson where they fine the gently caress out of poor people to pay for protecting the rich from them. Or make a killing off of prison labor. There's always money for cops, even if it's less efficient than having functioning social services.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Native Americans.

Imprison the conservative population of Kansas for life. Give everyone left $250000 and tell them to git to another part of the country. Close some of the poorer and smaller Indian reservations. Tell them they need to work together to form a new tribe and they can just have Kansas.

A tornado plagued land where the Earth has literally deformed from the draining of the aquifer. Always got to find a new way to screw the Natives, huh?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Native Americans.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
They just closed their football program after about 100 years of play. The plight of the modern reservation depresses the hell out of me.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm not saying I want the Republic to die, but I am saying I want to see Emperor Obama lead a triumph where he throws the severed heads of Brownback and the Kochs on the capitol steps.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like Kansas is up for another vicious fight to balance the budget since new revenue projections do not look good.

quote:

Kansas' current fiscal forecast projects state tax collections of $6.2 billion for this fiscal year and $6.4 billion for the fiscal year that begins in July 2016. The state's total annual budget is $15.3 billion. After recent tax collections fell $67 million, or 4.7 percent, short, Kansas is expecting to have little in the way of a cushion of cash reserves at the end of June 2016.

The administration will work immediately on budget-balancing measures, Sullivan said, acknowledging there will be pressure to re-examine the state's operations and ask, "Can we do it better?"

"From that aspect, I don't know that it's a bad thing," Sullivan said.

Both Denning and House Appropriations Committee Chairman Ron Ryckman Jr. expect forecasters to cut revenue predictions — and leave the state with a projected deficit in its current budget that could exceed $100 million.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

"We've tried everything - we've cut social services, we've cut the education budget, we cut social services again, we cut education again.... I guess the only choice now is to cut social services and education again."

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Crows Turn Off posted:

"We've tried everything - we've cut social services, we've cut the education budget, we cut social services again, we cut education again.... I guess the only choice now is to cut social services and education again."

Have you tried "kill all the poor"?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I predict that KU's going to get state assistance zeroed out this time. Except for the basketball program, of course, because some things are more important than education.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

I predict that KU's going to get state assistance zeroed out this time. Except for the basketball program, of course, because some things are more important than education.

Unironically.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost
The official report comes out tomorrow, but it looks like forcasts will be a shortfall of 150million by next July. Wonder how long before this experiment kills the ks school system. Kc will be hard up after that, lovely schools on both sides of the boarder

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

fishhooked posted:

lovely schools on both sides of the boarder

Right?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I'm sure the free market will provide. Just give it time. And remember, any solution attempted before the market can act is an action that was taken too soon.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

fishhooked posted:

The official report comes out tomorrow, but it looks like forcasts will be a shortfall of 150million by next July. Wonder how long before this experiment kills the ks school system. Kc will be hard up after that, lovely schools on both sides of the boarder

The schools in Lee's Summit and Blue Springs are fine. If JoCo people are really that worried they can flee to those areas. They're basically the same anyway.

Kansas slashes revenue estimate, announces budget adjustments

So basically this again:

Crows Turn Off posted:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

fknlo posted:

The schools in Lee's Summit and Blue Springs are fine. If JoCo people are really that worried they can flee to those areas. They're basically the same anyway.

Kansas slashes revenue estimate, announces budget adjustments

So basically this again:

According to one of the commenters, even the "positives" are actually lies. They cite an increase in small businesses in the state, but apparently the overwhelming majority of those were already in the state and simply changed their tax status to take advantage of the zero income tax policy, and have only one employee (the owner).

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Man, if the states are the laboratories of democracy then the ongoing experiment of supply-side economic theory in Kansas is proving beyond a shadow of a doubt the utter failure of the hypothesis

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Does a brown back refer to being full of and covered in poo poo? This just keeps getting worse. :(

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Does this ridiculous experiment "fail" at some point (and by that I mean like 25% unemployment or something) or is the Federal government going to keep subsidizing this madness?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I am still in disbelief that this clown was reelected.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kiimo posted:

I am still in disbelief that this clown was reelected.

I'm in Florida. My sister works for the State College of Florida, Rick Scott's laboratory for eradicating public education. You see, the newly appointed dude in charge has a background running a construction company, so he's moving forward with making universities work like construction projects: when a slot for a professor opens up, prospective professors make bids on it, and the best (read: cheapest) bid takes the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Disagreeing with that policy is disagreeing with Capitalism stop being so unamerican.

• Locked thread