Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Technowolf posted:

How much for just the pods, rhinos, and land raider?

email: :ninja:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Icon Of Sin posted:

Anyone interested in a bunch of marines with drop pods, rhinos, land speeders, and a land raider to go along with them?

Sure I'll take a gander and give you an offer. PM or azutler at the gmail.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

LingcodKilla posted:

Sure I'll take a gander and give you an offer. PM or azutler at the gmail.

Move to Washington and take all of my unbuilt crap.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

email: redacted

Message sent.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

drgnvale posted:

Move to Washington and take all of my unbuilt crap.

Working on it. Still on schedule to do it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Finished the Daemon Prince for my Daemonkin army. Have some shithouse phone photos!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hot drat, dude, those are some tasty reds. Great job!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Played 2k points against my son today. IG vs Tyranids. I felt guilty this time. He doesn't want to do the 3 Flyrant meta, and spends 3 turns trudging across in front of my gunline just being shredded.

Not to mention I used a Vendetta today for the first time. Holy poo poo 3 TL lascannons just ravages anything it comes across.

I really hope GW fixes nids in the next codex, because right now anything other than a flying MC min/max list has zero chance.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OhDearGodNo posted:

Played 2k points against my son today. IG vs Tyranids. I felt guilty this time. He doesn't want to do the 3 Flyrant meta, and spends 3 turns trudging across in front of my gunline just being shredded.

Not to mention I used a Vendetta today for the first time. Holy poo poo 3 TL lascannons just ravages anything it comes across.

I really hope GW fixes nids in the next codex, because right now anything other than a flying MC min/max list has zero chance.

3 Flyrants is honestly probably at the upper limit of acceptable. At the NOVA (1850) I faced three Flyrant lists and two of them had 6 while one had 5 with 2 other flyers.

You're right though, Tyranids need some fixing and will probs get something soon.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Imagine how it would be if they kept having to test for grounding everytime anything touched you, even markerlights (holy poo poo that was so stupid)

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Boon posted:

3 Flyrants is honestly probably at the upper limit of acceptable. At the NOVA (1850) I faced three Flyrant lists and two of them had 6 while one had 5 with 2 other flyers.

You're right though, Tyranids need some fixing and will probs get something soon.

There are two main issues I see with them currently:

Mobility in a meta of shooting. They need assaults to protect from ballistic fire.

Many units are in the wrong slots. Too many elites, not enough as troops.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

OhDearGodNo posted:

Mobility in a meta of shooting. They need assaults to protect from ballistic fire.

Also the tyrant is one of the few models that has been consistently good through editions. So people own a lot of them because they see it as safe and unlikely to get carnifex'd.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

So there's no 40k chat thread anymore? What the hell that was the only thing I came to TG for :(

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

mike12345 posted:

So there's no 40k chat thread anymore? What the hell that was the only thing I came to TG for :(

This is the 40k chat thread?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

ghetto wormhole posted:

This is the bad 40k chat thread

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

There is no good 40k chat.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ijyt posted:

There is no good 40k.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
here's the current status of my Adeptus Mechanicus

i'm currently painting a sydonian dragoon, followed by an onager dunecrawler. woo red

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

ijyt posted:

There is no good 40k chat.

maybe create one in imp zone idk

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

mike12345 posted:

maybe create one in imp zone idk

You might want this thread.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

Not to mention I used a Vendetta today for the first time. Holy poo poo 3 TL lascannons just ravages anything Tyranids it comes across.

It's a cool looking model, but don't expect it to do much against most other armies.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Tyranids have a lot of problems right now, and the Elite slot being crowded isn't one of them. Here are the issues with Tyranids.

Close combat weapons are all highly over-valued, resulting in close combat units that cost far more points than things that easily outperform them in other armies.

Poor armor saves on units with point costs that do not warrant them. 5+ saves on Raveners and Shreiks makes them drat near unplayable as they get shredded by pretty much everything.

Instinctive behavior has moved from simply losing control of your army to a 50-50 of either losing control or your unit OR having something bad happen to them. Loss of Synapse now means certain loss rather than a difficult challenge. It has rendered swarm armies nearly unplayable, or you simply get fewer hoards since you must invest in synapse.

Pretty much zero access to ignores cover. You get a few template weapons, but they're AP4 at best.

Pretty much no wide-spread access to high strength, high AP weaponry. You get the Exocrine's bio plasma as one option, and a ML2 witchfire as the other. So many of their other high strength weapons are AP4, giving them no real use. The rupture cannon for example being ridiculously expensive to add to a BS3 unit. It's supposed to be an anti-vehicle weapon, but on odds will take 3 rounds of shooting to kill a rhino. 8 to kill a land raider. The low AP means it can't blow up vehicles, and is quite poor for hunting high toughness models because most of them have saves against it.

Shadow in the warp used to be one of the best psychic defenses in the game, and now does nothing to stop psychic powers from being cast. It makes perils a bit more dangerous, but that's only half the time.

Most of the monstrous creatures in the army that can take super expensive close combat weapons are WS3 and have very few attacks. For example, a Carnifex will probably lose combat to 10 tac marines because it's only going to kill 1 or 2 a turn, and just can't take that many krak grenades to the face. Even the Haruspex which is a dedicated close combat monstrous creature has WS3 and 3 attacks. Trygons are alright, but they have still been nerfed heavily from their 5th edition counterpart. The only truly scary close combat unit that nids have is the Dimachaeron, which is of course a forgeworld unit. And even that inexplicably is a jump unit with only 6 inches of movement.

Their FW gargantuans are laughably overpriced. Like for example the Heirodule. Pretty much the same stat-line as a Wraithknight, and no access to Strength D shooting and no access to an invulnerable save. Yet costs twice as many points.

No strength D whatsoever. Not in FW. Nowhere.

Very little access to invulnerable saves. Zoanthropes have their 3+, Malecetpors get a 5+, and the Swarmlord gets a 4+, but only in close combat.

Flying Hive Tyrants with devourers are really good. That's why you see them spammed. They outclass the rest of the codex, and especially the HQ slot. So much that I would say it is pretty much impossible to make a competitive tournament list without them. Though I would go further to say that they can't make a competitive tournament list even with them. Tyranids have pretty much no answer to the Space Wolf / Dark Angels deathstar.

Tyranids don't need an update. They need a complete reworking.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Sir Teabag posted:

It's a cool looking model, but don't expect it to do much against most other armies.

Which army is three twin-linked lascannons with skyfire not good against?

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Any of the many armies that have plentiful invul/FNP saves on their HVTs, have easy access to redundant units (such as free transports), any army that has access to skyfire and interceptor, any army that relies on gargantuan creatures, any army that can alpha strike you before the Vendetta's come in. Or anyone in cover, which is everyone.

Basically outside of Tyranids, Orks, or Guard, any army.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Sir Teabag posted:

Any of the many armies that have plentiful invul/FNP saves on their HVTs, have easy access to redundant units (such as free transports), any army that has access to skyfire and interceptor, any army that relies on gargantuan creatures, any army that can alpha strike you before the Vendetta's come in. Or anyone in cover, which is everyone.

Basically outside of Tyranids, Orks, or Guard, any army.

That's why the good guard player brings a hydra and a wyvern. the Guard codex is hella flexible.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have the Tyranids that came in the Deathstorm boxset and the Tyranid Swarm box. I've only assembled the bodies and have left the weapon options alone so I could magnetize the expensive things like the Tyranid warriors and carnifexes. If I wanted to play with them right now, should I just outfit them for shooting and hope for the best?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'd try to magnetize them, as time-consuming as that may be. In the meantime maybe proxy the weapons. There's no way of knowing which weapon combinations are even gonna be legal in a few years, much less which ones you're going to want to use.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Frobbe posted:

That's why the good guard player brings a hydra and a wyvern. the Guard codex is hella flexible.

Neither of those things makes a vendetta more deadly, and they also don't go after the same targets. A wyvern is almost exclusively anti-infantry. And the AP value on it means that aside from forcing lots of wounds on a unit, that unit is still getting it's cover saves. A hydra lacks inteceptor, so whatever flies on/drops in is still going to get to shoot at you.

The codex is flexible - you have lots of mediocre options. But that's what playing guard is all about.

Star Man posted:

I have the Tyranids that came in the Deathstorm boxset and the Tyranid Swarm box. I've only assembled the bodies and have left the weapon options alone so I could magnetize the expensive things like the Tyranid warriors and carnifexes. If I wanted to play with them right now, should I just outfit them for shooting and hope for the best?

Magnetize the big guys like you planned, but as for the small guys do what you think looks coolest. No one other than other tyranid players are going to know/care what the weapon options do. As long as they aren't getting switched mid game for something more useful haha.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

To elaborate on this, anyone who knows enough about tyranids to tell the difference between gaunt weapons knows enough about tyranids not to gently caress with you for using different gaunt weapons than the ones you have modeled.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh, I planned on magnetizing the bigger things because $50 for a box of three Tyranid warriors warrants it. The termagants all have a mixture of devourers and fleshborers and I can find bodies and heads from a bits seller to use up the remaining parts, just like I do with space marines already.

It's just should I go all in on shooting if I ever play with them?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Star Man posted:

It's just should I go all in on shooting if I ever play with them?

Except under very rare circumstances melee-centric Warriors are going to die horribly. T4 is just too vulnerable with all the S8+ guns/melee attacks around. It's best to keep them as a single Barbed Strangler and some Devourers to camp an objective or maybe a Venom Cannon, not that a S6 blast is going to do you all that much good. Barebones at ~100pts is the best way to go.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PierreTheMime posted:

Except under very rare circumstances melee-centric Warriors are going to die horribly. T4 is just too vulnerable with all the S8+ guns/melee attacks around. It's best to keep them as a single Barbed Strangler and some Devourers to camp an objective or maybe a Venom Cannon, not that a S6 blast is going to do you all that much good. Barebones at ~100pts is the best way to go.

What about things like the carnifex? Should they just shoot and shoot and maybe have crushing claws in case one gets lucky enough to touch a tank?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Star Man posted:

What about things like the carnifex? Should they just shoot and shoot and maybe have crushing claws in case one gets lucky enough to touch a tank?

Well, the thing about Carnifices is that they only lose a WS3 attack or two by buying in for 12 S6 shots each turn. As a Monstrous Creature they're scary enough to get into contact with on their own and very few things are at T5 to really require the +1S. As with every other army, shooting is the better alternative.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Star Man posted:

If I had to take a fex, it'd either be extremely cheap assault, 2x scything talons and adrenal glands for fleet, or 2x TL devourers. Neither is great, since they're on a fex - you're paying too many points for it and it'll die too quickly anyway.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I primarily play Nids and yeah it's basically how many TLBDevs can you get in a list, sprinkle with electro grubs for AV13+.

I have had a little luck running melee Fex units but you have to build a bit of a gimmick list. Use pods to drop the Swarmlord next to a Dimachaeron and you'll buy them a turn or two to get across the table.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ro5s posted:

If I had to take a fex, it'd either be extremely cheap assault, 2x scything talons and adrenal glands for fleet, or 2x TL devourers. Neither is great, since they're on a fex - you're paying too many points for it and it'll die too quickly anyway.

They are fairly robust if you slap on the gargoyle tax to give the carnifex cover. It also allows melee carnifex to get charges off by blocking lanes.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Why do I bother?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Star Man posted:

Why do I bother?

Your army has ways of countering it if its not legitimate.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm going to respond with that.

EDIT: lol they don't even get the joke.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 9, 2015

• Locked thread