Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Alias is all about Jessica Jones getting over being abused as a super hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Uthor posted:

Alias is all about Jessica Jones getting over being abused as a super hero.

That book ended up being way to realistic, was a scene where she just ditched her boyfriend rather than confront anything, happens in real life too and is basically impossible to deal with someone that damaged.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Just started retreading Morrison's X-Men.

Where was the foundation of the nation of Genosha laid out?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sometime around late 80s in the X-Men.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

hadji murad posted:

Just started retreading Morrison's X-Men.

Where was the foundation of the nation of Genosha laid out?

Uncanny X-Men #235 -238
X-Tinction Agenda - Uncanny 270-272, X-factor 60-62
New Mutants - 95-97 (Liefeld art)

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

Uncanny X-Men #235 -238
X-Tinction Agenda - Uncanny 270-272, X-factor 60-62
New Mutants - 95-97 (Liefeld art)

I believe there are some threads that run through X-Factor after Uncanny 238 dealing with Jenny and her boyfriend.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
So there was basically no development of the island for ten years between that and the destruction?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

hadji murad posted:

So there was basically no development of the island for ten years between that and the destruction?

Nah a couple of storylines with magneto gaining control, mutant AIDS, and a story right before morrisons run with magneto trying to take over the world

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

Nah a couple of storylines with magneto gaining control, mutant AIDS, and a story right before morrisons run with magneto trying to take over the world

You also learn who really started the whole mutate thing. I wasn't a fan.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The big thing related to Genosha prior to Morrison's run was that Magneto had gone there while the population were suffering from the Legacy Virus (mutant AIDS). When that was magically cured, Magneto suddenly had a large, healthy mutant army at his disposal. That was the Eve of Destruction storyline from Uncanny 392-393 and X-Men (Vol. 2) 111-13.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

The big thing related to Genosha prior to Morrison's run was that Magneto had gone there while the population were suffering from the Legacy Virus (mutant AIDS). When that was magically cured, Magneto suddenly had a large, healthy mutant army at his disposal. That was the Eve of Destruction storyline from Uncanny 392-393 and X-Men (Vol. 2) 111-13.

Will check those out when I get Unlimited again. Thanks Zaph and everyone else!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In the spirit of halloween, are there any good Lovecraft mythos comics (besides that one Planetary)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

In the spirit of halloween, are there any good Lovecraft mythos comics (besides that one Planetary)

Hellboy and BPRD

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Doom that Came to Gotham
The Courtyard by Mr. Alan Moore

Uh, that's all I could think of. This page has a huge list, though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

zoux posted:

What's the one in Planetary? I can't remember one.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

What's the one in Planetary? I can't remember one.
Planetary/Authority

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 30, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nameless is definitely Lovecraft influenced.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Locke & Key takes place in a town called Lovecraft, so it's certainly wearing its inspiration on its sleeve.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've read Locke and Key and Hellboy. I'll check out that list though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

North 40. Definitely North 40. And Fatale, though that's not strictly a horror book.

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 30, 2015

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I was going to suggest Fatale.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...
I liked Boom Studios' Fall of Cthulhu series. If you do check it out, just a note: the second-to-last arc is actually the end of the ongoing storyline. The last few issues/last trade are a miniseries about, for some reason, the Secret Atlantis Origins of Nyarlathotep's Pet Cat.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I was going to suggest Fatale.

Man I just finished up the first volume of Fatale, can't wait for the second one to come out.

Anyway, has anyone read Deadpool by Joe Kelly? I'm about 9 issues through the omnibus and this poo poo is terrible. It's too 90s for me. Does it get any better?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There was an early Dr. Strange story that was basically him in Shaddow over Innsmouth. I want to say it was the first story after Strange Tales became Dr. Strange.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Man I just finished up the first volume of Fatale, can't wait for the second one to come out.

Do you mean the nice big hardcovers? Because the whole series is over and collected in five TPBs.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Do you mean the nice big hardcovers? Because the whole series is over and collected in five TPBs.

Yeah. Hardcovers are nice.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Blind Azathoth posted:

I liked Boom Studios' Fall of Cthulhu series. If you do check it out, just a note: the second-to-last arc is actually the end of the ongoing storyline. The last few issues/last trade are a miniseries about, for some reason, the Secret Atlantis Origins of Nyarlathotep's Pet Cat.

The first volume of Fall of Cthulhu is outstanding, definitely one of the best Lovecraft comics I've read. The art takes a serious nosedive after that to the point of ruining the whole book, but that first one is loving great. The art in the Dreamlands sections is enormously creepy.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I'm reading the second Epic collection for Moon Knight and holy poo poo does Sienkiewicz hit another level in the last two issues. Can't wait for volume three.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I've completely avoided Secret Wars thusfar, but I picked up Civil War on a whim (because the film, and also because Soule writes good funny books), and it's gotten me interested in the rest of the Battleworld books.

Are any of the other series' absolutely essential? In terms of quality, rather than importance to the main plot.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Genetic Toaster posted:

Are any of the other series' absolutely essential? In terms of quality, rather than importance to the main plot.

I enjoyed E For Extinction the most (I'm sure being a fan of Grant Morrison's New X-Men helps there.)
Old Man Logan was good and sets up the ongoing series. It's Bendis instead of Jeff Lemire on the mini, but Andrea Sorrentino carries over for art, and he's great. Lemire and Sorrentino killed it on Green Arrow together previously.
Attilan Rising was just okay, and I loved Soule's Inhuman.

I gave up on everything else I tried (slash waiting to pick them back up on Marvel Unlimited), but Weirdworld has incredible art.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 7, 2015

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If you're looking just for quality, I'd recommend Thors, 1872 and Siege.

Are you going to read the main series? Some of the tie ins (especially Siege) rely on the setup/premise and events of the main book enough that you might be a little lost if you haven't followed it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, just finished Weirdworld and it was fun. Abrupt ending, though. Looks like it's going to be an ongoing.

X-Men '92 if you have any nostalgia of X-Men in the 90's.

Does Groot count? Cause that was fun as hell.

Hank Johnson, Agent of Hydra.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I was reading a decent amount of Marvel before the dumb Axis thing stepped in and started ruining all my storylines. Is that poo poo and whatever multiverse fuckery that happened done with?

I was really digging the "fun" titles (Ms. Marvel, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Loki: Agent of Asgard, Superior Foes of Spider-Man). Are those or something similar still going? Also any gritty street-level stuff on the same wavelength as Daredevil before the move to San Francisco?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I was reading a decent amount of Marvel before the dumb Axis thing stepped in and started ruining all my storylines. Is that poo poo and whatever multiverse fuckery that happened done with?

I was really digging the "fun" titles (Ms. Marvel, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Loki: Agent of Asgard, Superior Foes of Spider-Man). Are those or something similar still going? Also any gritty street-level stuff on the same wavelength as Daredevil before the move to San Francisco?

Axis finished ages ago. Doesn't look like any of its effects will be around. Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl are both relaunching with the same creative teams. Loki is done, Superior Foes is done. You might like Howard the Duck. The Daredevil relaunch *might* be what you're looking for, also.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Axis finished ages ago. Doesn't look like any of its effects will be around. Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl are both relaunching with the same creative teams. Loki is done, Superior Foes is done. You might like Howard the Duck. The Daredevil relaunch *might* be what you're looking for, also.

Yeah I knew Axis was only a while but didn't it immediately flow into a new secret wars or something? Massive crossover events just murder my interest in following my favorite stories so I stepped out to let all that poo poo resolve itself. I'll check out the ones you mentioned. Any of the Spider-people doing anything fun?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Genetic Toaster posted:

I recommend Weirdworld. The art is beautiful, the plot is straightforward but competent, and the series does indeed manage to present a weird world. And it's not related to any main plot in any relevant way, so it's basically a cool little 5-issue sword and sorcery mini.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Axis finished in December 2014 and in most respects was forgotten almost immediately afterwards. Secret Wars launched May 2015 and disrupted about 90% of Marvel's traditional line. The books that continued to publish were bannered "Last Days" and all of their plots revolved around how the heroes in the book dealt with the events that kicked off Secret Wars. If you were enjoying Loki and Ms Marvel, I would highly recommend reading both series through to their conclusion - they had great endings and were/are some of the best comics around.

The main Secret Wars series was scheduled to conclude in late September, but its conclusion was delayed and is currently scheduled for December, but in all likelihood it will drag into January or February. Marvel's regular line has resumed publishing and there have already been a ton of new #1s with more to come in November and December. It's a good time to jump in on anything you think sounds fun.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Just read through the end of Agent of Asgard and IT'S GREAT. Reminds me of everything I loved about the Journey Into Mystery run of Loki. Bummed that it's the end but I also don't know how you could keep a story that's so necessarily meta running full-time.

Edit: How much of that meta stuff is directed at the Marvel fan base in general? It feels like some of it's sour grapes like "look at all the cool weird stories we got to tell. Too bad you dicks just want a one-dimensional villain again." Edit: I'll ask this in the questions thread, actually.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 7, 2015

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Everyone talks about how great Cyclops is, but he's only been a jerk in the runs I've read. What are some good story arcs that show off why people like him? I have Marvel Unlimited, and I haven't read much of the X-Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Franchescanado posted:

Everyone talks about how great Cyclops is, but he's only been a jerk in the runs I've read. What are some good story arcs that show off why people like him? I have Marvel Unlimited, and I haven't read much of the X-Men.

Whedon's Astonishing is probably him at his best