Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

please ban me from this internet forum because people on it think Cormac McCarthy is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Like I even sympathize with the dude a little because cities on the plain was loving trash but you can't call out his whole catalog and not get burned.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

And on this, our hundredth page, we claim our first victim

rip

I bought a copy of White Teeth and NW from the library bookstore today, which should I read first?

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

This was the straw that broke the burro's back. I've seen the meanness of Goons till I dont know why God aint put out the sun and gone away. Lowtax may wear a star but whose law does he uphold?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean, all of you poo poo on me for disliking Italo Calvino but I didn't leave the forum mostly because I was right and also smarter than all of you

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Cercadelmar posted:

rip

I bought a copy of White Teeth and NW from the library bookstore today, which should I read first?

White Teeth, imo.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, all of you poo poo on me for disliking Italo Calvino but I didn't leave the forum mostly because I was right and also smarter than all of you

:hfive: Calvino rules.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 8, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

He rules the suck kingdom on his suck throne because he sucks :colbert:

*shots fired*

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

next you're gonna tell me that the book of disquiet is trash

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

next you're gonna tell me that the book of disquiet is trash

Fernando Pessoa was a wannabe Ricardo Reis

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He rules the suck kingdom on his suck throne because he sucks :colbert:

*shots fired*

Out of curiosity, what about Borges? I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't feel pretty much the same way about both of them, which probably just indicates that there is some fundamental aspect of how they approach storytelling that either clicks or doesn't.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Out of curiosity, what about Borges? I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't feel pretty much the same way about both of them, which probably just indicates that there is some fundamental aspect of how they approach storytelling that either clicks or doesn't.

Honestly Borges and Calvino are fine. You pretty much hit the nail on the head that their style just doesn't mesh with me. I can absolutely appreciate them as geniuses on an objective level I just am not particularly fond of the nature of their fiction.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

my girlfriend loves Calvino and couldn't get into Borges and he enrages + confuses her. I don't understand why either. She has an account and lurks this thread, like a weirdo, so I'm posting this in the hope that she explains herself out of shame.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cercadelmar posted:

rip

White Teeth. I'm reading that right now and it's really good - Zadie Smith manages to write a lot of people with different backgrounds and not make it seem horribly cliched or too supportive of any one particular belief.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I just finished White Teeth but I didn't get the whole "the ending sucks" angle that Earwicker was talking about earlier. There is a little bit of out-of-the-blue stuff right at the end Archie didn't kill the doctor guy back in WWII but I kind of expected that, at least where it first mentions this incident, and wasn't really aghast that it showed up at the end. Then again my reads are pretty surface level the first time around and I basically came away with the fact that the book is funny and clever, though I guess the ending is really neither of those things and I'm not sure how it adds to the rest of the book's themes. If I thought about it for maybe one second I might figure it out, but I'm going to put that off for now.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Update: back on maldoror after zoroastrian hymns, still bored. Sensless violence and hate does very little for me.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
books, eh?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I adore Borges but I could take or leave Calvino, what does that say about me

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

you mother fuckers need to get in on this book club thing or they arent gonna let us do good books anymore

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

my library has a gigantic waiting list for that book

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
I really want to read Voices but I'm a dead broke grad student and I've got about 600 pages of middle english alliterative verse I need to get through first

and also I spent all of my disposable income for the month on booze

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

End Of Worlds posted:

and also I spent all of my disposable income for the month on booze

Too bad there aren't public or university owned buildings where you can borrow books for free.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cloks posted:

Too bad there aren't public or university owned buildings where you can borrow books for free.

*steps into friendly local public library and squeals with delite at the well-stocked YA and wizardbook selections*

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

*steps into friendly local public library and squeals with delite at the well-stocked YA and wizardbook selections*

Touche. I'm spoiled because I live in Ohio and we have some of the best library systems in the country.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Also like ulvir pointed out, a fresh Nobel prize winner is going to check out quick. Chicago has 50 holds on 18 copies and doesn't have the kindle edition up yet.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Just finished Chronicle of a Death Foretold. Ending pages were super loving sad, holy poo poo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

just buy the book its like ten books on Amazon you jerks :colbert:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

just buy the book its like ten books on Amazon you jerks :colbert:

buy it for me

edit: please

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 10, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cloks posted:

Touche. I'm spoiled because I live in Ohio and we have some of the best library systems in the country.

Lot of the libraries around here don't even have interlibrary loans, because it costs money to do the statewide system and they are paid for by decaying rust belt suburbs.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A lot university libraries have public membership options if they are publicly funded :eng101:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The lovely small town library near me has children's books, elementary-school quality reference books, and large print romances/airport novels.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
my local library is literally a trailer with 2 computers and magazines but that doesn't mean you can ILL that poo poo

buying books is hell of bougie

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I mostly buy books from second hand bookstores in Tokyo, but it's depressing to see what kind of English language books are there most of the time. A while ago one of the Book Offs (the one in Akihabara) was selling off all of their English language literature for less than 100 yen because apparently nobody was buying them. I got Chronicle of a Death Foretold out of it, but I haven't read it yet. Libraries here are good though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Shibawanko posted:

I got Chronicle of a Death Foretold out of it, but I haven't read it yet.

You need to get on that. It's quite good.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

my girlfriend loves Calvino and couldn't get into Borges and he enrages + confuses her. I don't understand why either. She has an account and lurks this thread, like a weirdo, so I'm posting this in the hope that she explains herself out of shame.

Women do not have the mentality required to understand the art of Jorge Luis Borges.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Women do not have the mentality required to understand the art of Jorge Luis Borges.

if liking Borges requires intellect why are you a fan?

*mega scorched earth burn*

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
It's almost like this thread is a good library in the middle of another, larger library system full of wizard stories that is reflective of the reading tastes of the general population.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

It's almost like this thread is a good library in the middle of another, larger library system full of wizard stories that is reflective of the reading tastes of the general population.

Not enough romances and mysteries to be the tastes of the general population

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Smoking Crow posted:

That's because this forum has about as many women as a ship in Nelson's navy

I can lead gigolos to culture but I can't make them think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's because this forum has about as many women as a ship in Nelson's navy

I can lead gigolos to culture but I can't make them think

you are both kind of off the mark here and it's not just a gender thing, the general male population reads mostly thrillers, political books, pop science/pop philisophy(or whatever you want to call malcom gladwell type stuff), and certain types of bios/autobios (e.g American Sniper or Steve Jobs). only the occasional very popular scifi/fantasy thing gets that far

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 10, 2015