Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
I had fun at my first show, picked up four kits, three of which are British armor, which I didn't even realize until we'd left. I had wanted to pick up a jet, but just didn't see one I wanted at a price I liked.

I had to laugh, vendors were cutting deals by 9:30. "I don't want to take it home!"

Matilda II
Churchill VII
Bishop
Some German anti tank crew.

The bishop looks like it'll be a bear

I was really surprised at how many of the kits for sale were open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Either way I'll be fine. I've built my fair share of bad kits :).

Do any of you guys have experience with Alclad II metallics?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

550+ models at today's show. Judging in progress.

Biggest show for the IPMS chapter here, ever.

There is a 1:700 scale carrier with 313 Eduard photo etch crew figures.

:stare:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

The Locator posted:

There is a 1:700 scale carrier with 313 Eduard photo etch crew figures.

:stare:

Is it that diorama of the Lexington being evacuated, or are there more people insane enough to do that kind of thing?

So, it's saturday night, you had a few beers, are tired of running 'serious' projects ánd want to practise new techniques; what do you do?

Thats right! You take an old model, rip it apart and make something new! I just tore apart my old WIP Wespe SPG model and I'm cleaning it up a little bit. Haven't decided yet what to make of it exactly, but I was thinking of something like an APC or just something used as a infantry support vehicle with a 2cm gun or something. I have some spare benches etc from a sdkfz 251 that I could use, and also a Drilling mount that is collecting dust...

So what I'm saying is I'd like some suggestions on what this little baby can become! And yes, an armoured bear carrier for Tank Destroyer duty is an option.

Hooray for impulse modeling!

Molentik fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 7, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
On the Hi-Mock, am I understanding these instructions correctly that most of it does not need to be glued, unless there's that little symbol that looks kind of like a sticker being peeled back?

I don't know a lick of Japanese, but I found this site that seems to say that: http://www.mech9.com/2009/10/meaning-of-the-symbols-found-in-a-bandai-model-kits-manual.html

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 7, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Molentik posted:

Is it that diorama of the Lexington being evacuated, or are there more people insane enough to do that kind of thing?

No, it's the Akagi getting ready to launch a strike.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

On the Hi-Mock, am I understanding these instructions correctly that most of it does not need to be glued, unless there's that little symbol that looks kind of like a sticker being peeled back?

Gunpla kits are snap together/glue-free. The sticker icon means there's a sticker that goes there, and it should have a letter or number with it to indicate what sticker. You're reading the icons on that site wrong (the glue icon is the one that shows a little brush).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Ah, perfect then.

Been a while since I've built anything other than little plastic and pewter mans.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

1st place in surface ships & Best Ship. Pretty good day.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Locator posted:

Grats!

wtfbacon
Mar 26, 2015

The Locator posted:

Kick rear end. Nice work.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Locator posted:

It's well-deserved. :)

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

The Locator posted:

Nice! Congrats!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

A lint roller slays the Carpet Monster all day long.

Also, kudos on the Spitfire and ME-109 a couple of pages ago.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Anyone know of any air racing models? I suppose I could just use a P-51 and a decal set but I was hoping for some Red Bull Air Race stuff. Google has yet to yield anything.

Also, who's the go to for photoetch in scale planes? I'm considering making something that's not a racecar for the first time in years.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Locator posted:

Nice!

Also, this Hi-Mock is fun. I could get addicted to these things.

E:

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 8, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Eduard is pretty much the first and last name in photoetch, for all subjects. There are other companies out their, but Eduard is big daddy of them all.

If you have a particular kit in mind, you can look it up on Scalemates, and it'll give you a fairly comprehensive list of what aftermarket addons are available for it.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Molentik posted:

I think the Lexington evacuation diorama had just over 1,400 1/700 scale dudes.

Each one was touched up to give depth (by adding filler in a few spots) before painting.

Also, congrats Locator, well deserved. I eagerly await your ship of the line build! :wiggle:

I'm going to have to miss the crap tank this month (which is a shame, it looks cool) thanks to this arriving:

That's one board game with an obscene number of bits. They are, however, gorgeous.

The scale is about 54mm, here's the 'Phoenix' next to crap tank for comparison.

As there's not much modelling involved I won't be posting here, but I might put some stuff up in the miniature painting thread.

But on the subject of crap tank, here's how it held up to light! (not well)
Also shown is the vial of extracted chlorophyll, which was an intense emerald green. Now 'doctor's visit' yellow.

And while the sun and camera are out have some shots of a 1/48 Pz IV that I will probably maybe finish one day.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

And the board game is called.....?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Jonny Nox posted:

And the board game is called.....?

Kingdom Death - be warned, if you google image it prepare for boobs. And penises. Actually, just be prepared to clean your browser history.

The game's definitely 'adult' but not as bad as google makes it look. I did glue the balls onto a lion, though, so there's that.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

So deserved!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sanguine posted:

Kingdom Death - be warned, if you google image it prepare for boobs. And penises. Actually, just be prepared to clean your browser history.

The game's definitely 'adult' but not as bad as google makes it look. I did glue the balls onto a lion, though, so there's that.

Man that looks cool but the lovely "BOOBS!!!!!!!" fan-servicy anime design drives me nuts.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Man that looks cool but the lovely "BOOBS!!!!!!!" fan-servicy anime design drives me nuts.

It's not even "b00bs!", it's straight fetishy. A pity, really, given that their tamer minis look gorgeous. I want more of these:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nice!

Also, this Hi-Mock is fun. I could get addicted to these things.

E:

Good news: a bunch of the kits for the current-airing Gundam show are going for $8 on Hobbysearch, which means they'll probably be sold shipping-free by Amazon retailers for $10-12. HGs in general tend to go for $10-20, and MGs are only ~$30, so it's a cheap enough addiction to have. :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Good news: a bunch of the kits for the current-airing Gundam show are going for $8 on Hobbysearch, which means they'll probably be sold shipping-free by Amazon retailers for $10-12. HGs in general tend to go for $10-20, and MGs are only ~$30, so it's a cheap enough addiction to have. :v:

Sure, but then there's all those weapons and accessories....

They're little Gundam Barbie dolls.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sure, but then there's all those weapons and accessories....

They're little Gundam Barbie dolls.

Bandai knew drat-well what they were doing when they made the Build Fighters series and kit line :shepspends:. Every single kit is filled with modular sockets, and there's an entire line of backpacks (Boosters), accessories and guns to go along with them (HGBC, or High-Grade Build Custom). They also started the All-Gundam Project in tandem, which released standardized modern releases of popular Gundams that could also be customized with the same accessories. If you want to spend a little extra, there's also the System Weapon sets. They're RG-quality weapon packs that have a few weapons made up of customizable parts, down to multiple rifle barrels or sword blades depending on the set.

Incidentally, don't watch Gundam: Build Fighters unless you're prepared to burn money on kits and an HGBC Booster or two.

edit:

Just to show you what hells this hobby will bring;

This is a HG Kampfer Amazing, with two System Weapon 005's (the Gatling Guns) an Amazing Booster (the thigh rockets), and an Amazing Weapon Binder (the second set of shoulder cannons).

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 8, 2015

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but if you make a tank significantly lighter for example by removing the turret, would it be faster? Or is that more of a transmission/suspension thing?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

The Locator posted:

Just got back from holiday and drat your finished ship looks great! It's been a privilege to watch it come together over the past 13 months.

After the LRDG truck I felt the need to try something a bit fresh and different and ended up with this bad boy for a change.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks everyone. It was a very long day, left the house before 5am, and got home about 9pm pretty exhausted. I was one of the club photographers for the event so I've got a lot of photo editing to do today. I will eventually get the pictures up in a gallery somewhere and post a link. I shot the ships and all the diorama's. I also took some other random photo's, but not 'officially', including a pretty full set of all the figures, but I didn't really shoot hardly any aircraft or armor this time. Was there all day and yet somehow the time just disappeared.

Here are the spiffy awards they gave me. The little round medallion is the first place for surface ships, pretty much all the regular awards are identical except for the wording on the paper. The big plaque is for the best in category (ships). Based on how many times the judges came back and inspected the ship after all the placing was done, I was at least a strong consideration for best of show, but it ended up going to a Nashorn that I never even saw. I'll have to wait for the club photo gallery to go up to even see it!

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, it's a shame. They're not actually part of the game, they're 'pinups' that print money. The game designer got into a tonne of poo poo over it a few years back, and his answer was to release male versions (one day). Doubly sucks with minis as gorgeous as the flower knight.

Game's still fun, so whatever.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Locator posted:

Thanks everyone. It was a very long day, left the house before 5am, and got home about 9pm pretty exhausted. I was one of the club photographers for the event so I've got a lot of photo editing to do today. I will eventually get the pictures up in a gallery somewhere and post a link. I shot the ships and all the diorama's. I also took some other random photo's, but not 'officially', including a pretty full set of all the figures, but I didn't really shoot hardly any aircraft or armor this time. Was there all day and yet somehow the time just disappeared.

Here are the spiffy awards they gave me. The little round medallion is the first place for surface ships, pretty much all the regular awards are identical except for the wording on the paper. The big plaque is for the best in category (ships). Based on how many times the judges came back and inspected the ship after all the placing was done, I was at least a strong consideration for best of show, but it ended up going to a Nashorn that I never even saw. I'll have to wait for the club photo gallery to go up to even see it!

Congrats, it's nice to see all that hard work rewarded.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Locator posted:

That must've been an insanely impressive Nashorn to top that gorgeous ship of yours :eyepop:.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Molentik posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but if you make a tank significantly lighter for example by removing the turret, would it be faster? Or is that more of a transmission/suspension thing?

That's pretty much exactly what they did with tank destroyers.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That must've been an insanely impressive Nashorn to top that gorgeous ship of yours :eyepop:.

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing the pictures of the Nashorn, and wish I'd seen and photographed it myself now. Remember that IPMS judging is heavily based on the basic construction - no seams, consistency, basically just a good solid clean build that doesn't have any mistakes. I know there are a couple spots on my ship that there are visible issues if you shine a light on the right spot from the right direction, and the judges use little flashlights a lot when trying to determine what model is 'best'.

Here is that silly Japanese carrier that I honestly thought would win best surface ship. The judges found some flaws in the construction though, I saw them pointing and discussing it, but I don't really know what it was, and it ended up taking 2nd place. I was mistaken, it is not the Akagi, but a pre-war carrier, in 1937, the Royujo.

Here is a nice top-down view. This thing is 1/700 scale, so it's only a few inches long. It's really small.

Here is a closeup showing the tiny men.

And here is a oh-my-god huge 6000 pixel wide image of the full length of the ship. You can actually tell that the figures are 'flat' photo-etch, something that was simply impossible to see in person with the naked eye.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
Finished the Hi-Mock.

The whole album is http://imgur.com/a/DuxkR here.

Start

End

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Molentik posted:

You're looking for the military history thread in Ask/Tell, but I can answer your question. A tank's maximum speed is limited by gear ratios. If you had a lovely underpowered engine that couldn't take the tank to its theoretical maximum (coughKingTigercough), then yes, the tank would go faster once lightened. If your tank was designed properly, the top speed would be achievable with the full load.

That's pretty much exactly what they did with tank destroyers.

Nope, tank destroyers are usually not lighter or faster than the vehicle they were based on. The fixed casemate contributes to either simplicity (StuG) or a bigger gun than possible with a fully rotating turret (SU-152, Jagdtiger).

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Locator: congrats on the awards, you really deserved it after all this work!

On a completely different topic: a colleague of mine who has no skills in model kit building, but loves "small army men" (aka 1/72 models and vehicles), asked me if I could help him build and paint up a few WW2 things. Basically he wants to play D-Day with his kid, but doesn't know what to look for, and how to paint it once he has found it.

I've been looking around, and Airfix has some diorama sets that I think even the toy shops around could carry, does anyone have experience of them? I'm looking for something that is A) cheap, B) relatively kid-friendly and doesn't fall apart if you look at it, and C) is not quite as horrible to build as craptank.

I've also looked at plastic soldier company's site, and they carry several 1/72 range. If anyone has any good advise for disposably 1/72 ranges that are not a nightmare to build, I'd be thankful.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Plastic Soldier Company are great. Three tanks to a box for around 20 euro in 1/72 and lots of bonus parts too. The Stuarts have enough to nearly build three "jalopy" recon variants if you wanted. Avoid the S-model stuff they sell though. Lovely kits, but not "fast build" at all what with the brass etch in the box. The Airfix kits are basically Craptank level, the Sherman in particular having major problems.

For infantry check out Plastic Soldier Review, their site is a one stop resource for 20mm plastic mans.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 8, 2015

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Here we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

He may be better off just grabbing a bunch of snap fit models for a few bucks, unless you're really itching to build something for him. Like these: https://www.tabletopstore.de/tabletop-games/flames-of-war/zvezda-produkte-fuer-flames-of-war/ Although therse are in 1/100

Oh and congrats, Locator!

EDIT: Lol, that is amazing, Unkempt!