Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gavok posted:

I knew there had to be more to it than just the Starrcade match, but holy poo poo.

Check your PMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'm being really unfair to Booker T but he didn't exactly lose clean. It was very much treated as a Mania midcard event on a historically stacked card and I don't think they put much thought into besides "gotta keep the title on Triple H for when Goldberg comes in tomorrow." Booker T went on to continue being really stale until like 2006, where he was awarded with a title run as a comedy heel, which says a lot about the roster and quality of 2006.

Are we talking about the same match? Yeah it was the least important of the 4 big matches at Wresltemania 19, but Booker T lost clean as a sheet, that's not even a question. No cheating, just a pedigree and the longest time before the pin (insert gif here) and racism is right and cool. Just because they weren't thinking that hard about it, because let's face it, they haven't thought hard about anything in 15 years, it was Triple H beating Booker T clean in a feud about race.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Iirc Ric Flair broke up a pin off of a Harlem Hangover, but yeah it may as well have been clean and black people former criminals can't be champion.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

I'm working on an article about all the times WWE/WCW/ECW world titles were vacated and for the most part, I have a good grasp on all the incidents (though good God, the chain of vacancies in 99/00 WCW is ridiculous). Two questions.

1) Is there any story behind the Inoki/Bob Backlund situation in the 80's? Was WWF just throwing them a bone and decided that nobody in America was going to know about it, so they'd just pretend it never happened?

2) Why was Sting stripped of the title after Starrcade '97?

Inoki was given a token 1 week reign while Backlund toured Japan and Inoki double crossed the WWWF on dropping it back. The match where Backlund was to regain the title was ruled a no contest. Inoki wanted to defend the belt at MSG but the WWWF declared the belt vacant for Japanese consumption while never acknowledging the title change or vacancy in the US. Inoki defended his Martial Arts title at MSG and Backlund came out without the belt and without being announced as champion. This was despite the fact he was still defending the belt and treated as champion between the Japanese tour and MSG show.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Are there any good biographies about Inoki?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bartok posted:

Are there any good biographies about Inoki?

Try this one

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Are we talking about the same match? Yeah it was the least important of the 4 big matches at Wresltemania 19, but Booker T lost clean as a sheet, that's not even a question. No cheating, just a pedigree and the longest time before the pin (insert gif here) and racism is right and cool. Just because they weren't thinking that hard about it, because let's face it, they haven't thought hard about anything in 15 years, it was Triple H beating Booker T clean in a feud about race.

iirc Triple H hit a pedigree, burned a cross in the middle of the ring, and then pinned Booker clean.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

C. Everett Koop posted:

iirc Triple H hit a pedigree, burned a cross in the middle of the ring, and then pinned Booker clean.

That was a T for tolerance and togetherness. Flame on.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
that Table For 3 with the 2nd-generation Divas had me wondering - are there any 2nd gen wrestlers to come from female wrestlers? Paige is the only one I'm aware of.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Ted DiBiase

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Eddie and Vickie's daughter is involved in wrestling, if you want to count Vickie as a wrestler. Janet Boyer Wolfe, daughter of Billy Wolfe and adopted daughter of Mildred Burke, died in the ring when she was only 18.

I had thought there was a woman wrestler somewhere in the Windham-Rotunda relation, but I was probably thinking of the DiBiases.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Not sure if this can really be known, but is Sgt. Slaughter full of poo poo when he talks about being refused service and restaurants and whatnot while he was doing the Iraqi Sympathizer gimmick?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

ZDar Fan posted:

Not sure if this can really be known, but is Sgt. Slaughter full of poo poo when he talks about being refused service and restaurants and whatnot while he was doing the Iraqi Sympathizer gimmick?

I'd take it with a big grain of salt, like I do anything that comes out of a pro wrestlers mouth.

Everything WWE says about that gimmick & Wrestlemania is so full of half truths and stuff, I generally just assume they're lying about it all.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Then again this is a country that, in earnest, tried to rebrand fried shoestring potatoes as 'Freedom Fries' last time they went to Iraq so there's really no floor for jingoist stupidity down there.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Then again this is a country that, in earnest, tried to rebrand fried shoestring potatoes as 'Freedom Fries' last time they went to Iraq so there's really no floor for jingoist stupidity down there.

Yes, who can forget the monumental "Rename French Fries" bill that made it through the House, only to get shot down at the Senate.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yes, who can forget the monumental "Rename French Fries" bill that made it through the House, only to get shot down at the Senate.

I was in the Navy in the early 2000's. Freedom Fries was a thing that happened a short time after September 11th. Our menus were changed on an individual command level and we were not-so-subtly informed that we were to call them Freedom Fires (the capital letters were implied). As far as I remember they were still calling them that when I got out in '04.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I totally saw french fries labelled as Freedom Fries at a buffet in Virginia in... 2003 or so? I was on a middle school trip to DC and as a kid that had lived in California my entire life it was the funniest thing in the world to me.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

triplexpac posted:

I'd take it with a big grain of salt, like I do anything that comes out of a pro wrestlers mouth.

Everything WWE says about that gimmick & Wrestlemania is so full of half truths and stuff, I generally just assume they're lying about it all.

Let them work it, brother.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

That was after a major terrorist attack broke the collective minds of the US though, the first Gulf war didn't have that behind it.

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I had thought there was a woman wrestler somewhere in the Windham-Rotunda relation, but I was probably thinking of the DiBiases.

Mika Rotunda (Bo and Bray's sister) has had a tryout for WWE. I don't know how well it went, but maybe it was that?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

That was after a major terrorist attack broke the collective minds of the US though, the first Gulf war didn't have that behind it.

On the other hand, kayfabe was still god's own truth to a lot of people. There's plenty of territory-era stories about how hard it was to be a heel. Slaughter's at the tail end of the era of that mindset but it wouldn't surprise me if a couple times he caught poo poo over it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I think the story is he got a few phoned death threats and moved into a hotel for a little while but the "the whole country hated me!" thing is overblown.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
That's not even a new thing, during WWI we insisted on renaming sauerkraut "liberty cabbage".

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

That's not even a new thing, during WWI we insisted on renaming sauerkraut "liberty cabbage".

And we called liberty cabbage super slaw.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

And we called German potato salad "loving delicious."

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

and a frankfurter sandwich was called a hot dog

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

*extremely nerd voice* fried shoestring potatoes

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

only temporary posted:

Mika Rotunda (Bo and Bray's sister) has had a tryout for WWE. I don't know how well it went, but maybe it was that?

I hope her NXT name is R. Mika

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

ZDar Fan posted:

I hope her NXT name is R. Mika

I hope it is Abigail Schyster-Wyatt so that there is at least a voodoo family financial adviser for when the zombie biker wizard retires

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

On the other hand, kayfabe was still god's own truth to a lot of people. There's plenty of territory-era stories about how hard it was to be a heel. Slaughter's at the tail end of the era of that mindset but it wouldn't surprise me if a couple times he caught poo poo over it.

No one gave a poo poo about WM 7 and the only outrage was of the "it is offensive the WWF is exploiting a war" variety.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm surprised they didn't put Bo with Bray immediately, to be honest.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't the rotunda sister look almost exactly like Bo? Like to a frightening degree?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

titties posted:

I hope it is Abigail Schyster-Wyatt so that there is at least a voodoo family financial adviser for when the zombie biker wizard retires

Gives new meaning to voodoo economics.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

C. Everett Koop posted:

Gives new meaning to voodoo economics.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

Doesn't the rotunda sister look almost exactly like Bo? Like to a frightening degree?

yeah. She should be Bo.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RacistGuidingLight posted:

yeah. She should be Bo.

I was thinking more along the line of what the women end up looking like in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBS4Gi1y_nc

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, kind of.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Mainly when she grins.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, kind of.

This was more what I was thinking of [img]
https://i.imgur.com/oMl4TWU.png[/img]

(My phone just upgraded and won't post any links without a url at each end I don't know what's going on)

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
If you had to wear a John Cena Tshirt, which shirt would you choose?