Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

And even when he didn't, there's usually been a lady in the book that can fill the role platonically. Black Widow was practically a co-star in the book during Brubaker's run.

When Bucky was filling in as cap he and Natasha were a couple so he kept up the tradition of Cap having an rear end-kicking girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

Well Mark Waid brought Sharon arter back in like 1994 or so and she was a regular part of Cap's life for all of Waid's run and beyond. He was back with Diamondback for a stretch prior to Disassembled and from Brubaker to now he and Sharon have been together. Except now they are OLD.

I got my Carters switched up. :cripes:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh good. I wasnt crazy.

I mean... bad. This was written.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Did anyone do anything involving Johnny Storm's Native American college roommate from the Lee/Kirby run in F4 after their run ended? He was kinda an important part of the team for a hot minute there (helped defeat Black Panther in BP's first appearance, had a multi-issue adventure with Johnnie and Lockjaw where Lockjaw kept teleporting them to random locations).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

Did anyone do anything involving Johnny Storm's Native American college roommate from the Lee/Kirby run in F4 after their run ended? He was kinda an important part of the team for a hot minute there (helped defeat Black Panther in BP's first appearance, had a multi-issue adventure with Johnnie and Lockjaw where Lockjaw kept teleporting them to random locations).

Wyatt Wingfoot? He's been in a bunch of stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Wyatt Wingfoot? He's been in a bunch of stuff.

I couldn't remember his name, I'm gonna have to do some digging, especially since it appears they never gave him super powers but he's still pretty awesome when I checked his wikipedia. Thanks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
John Byrne used him - he became She-Hulk's boyfriend during Byrne's time on the comic.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

John Byrne used him - he became She-Hulk's boyfriend during Byrne's time on the comic.
He was also a main character in Dwayne McDuffie's prestige-format She-Hulk: Ceremony, which was really really bad (not because of Wyatt, it was just a stupid story).

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 29, 2015

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I think he was in Slott's She-Hulk too.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
He showed up for an issue of the Fraction/Allred FF too, where he and She-Hulk went on a pseudo-date and maybe rekindled their relationship, but I have no idea if anything more came of it since I dropped the book an issue or two later.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wasn't he a quinjet pilot for the Avengers for a bit as well? I'm thinking maybe Byrne-era West Coast?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

I couldn't remember his name, I'm gonna have to do some digging, especially since it appears they never gave him super powers but he's still pretty awesome when I checked his wikipedia. Thanks.

I always liked Wyatt even though he wasn't super -- it was really cool to have an American Indian hanging out without being all "noble savage". He was just this guy, mostly.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

RandallODim posted:

He showed up for an issue of the Fraction/Allred FF too, where he and She-Hulk went on a pseudo-date and maybe rekindled their relationship, but I have no idea if anything more came of it since I dropped the book an issue or two later.

Moloid kids don't like Wyatt trying to woo the Jen.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

redbackground posted:

He was also a main character in Dwayne McDuffie's prestige-format She-Hulk: Ceremony, which was really really bad (not because of Wyatt, it was just a stupid story).

How bad could it have been?

(Looks up reviews of the series. Sees Jen getting mopey because she wants a baby. Sees her friend ask her what sort of options are available for a woman to get pregnant who has "steel hard ovaries.")

Wow, that bad.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Wow, that bad.
Good bathroom reading.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Dr. Doom origin has him working on a device that will let him talk to/save his dead mother, who is in hell, and IIRC owes her soul to Mephisto. Was it ever explained just what she did to deserve hell? I mean besides birth one of the biggest super villains ever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CzarChasm posted:

Dr. Doom origin has him working on a device that will let him talk to/save his dead mother, who is in hell, and IIRC owes her soul to Mephisto. Was it ever explained just what she did to deserve hell? I mean besides birth one of the biggest super villains ever.

She made a pact with the dark one to get revenge for her husband or protect her clan, depending on the version of the story.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

CzarChasm posted:

Check out Dr. Strange/Dr. Doom Triumph and Torment for more on that as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CzarChasm posted:

She gave birth to Victor Von loving Doom.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
When was the first time (our) Reed Richards met an alternate Reed?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 6, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine Lee and Kirby did it in the 1960s, but the earliest one I can think of who was a distinct character was the Brute, who was a version of Reed from Counter-Earth and appeared in the early 1970s when he trapped Reed in the Negative Zone and tried to take his place.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Got around to finishing Loki: Agent of Asgard. I know from like the last few spots of Journey Into Mystery up through AoA, they've done a lot of meta stuff focusing on the Aesir as beings of myth and saga, which makes Loki, the god of lies and thus the ultimate storyteller, uniquely powerful. But toward the end of Agent of Asgard, some of it started coming off as directed at Marvel fans in general. It feels like some of it's sour grapes like "look at all the cool weird stories we got to tell. Too bad you dicks just want a one-dimensional villain again."

Am I reading too much into it or was AoA killed because more people wanted a classic-style Loki? I'm getting echoes here of MGS4 where Kojima is like "look at the sweet game you could be playing if you entrenched nostalgic nerds weren't married to loving Snake." Or where Teen Titans Go! openly poo poo-talked itself as being infinitely worse than its original show.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You're reading too much into things, and you're absolutely wrong about Teen Titans Go!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Good" Loki's story has always been to some degree about the fact that fans will not allow characters to change. It is not the sole thing the story is about but Loki being forced to struggle with the expectations of who he is vs what he wants to become has been a fairly central element of the character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Got around to finishing Loki: Agent of Asgard. I know from like the last few spots of Journey Into Mystery up through AoA, they've done a lot of meta stuff focusing on the Aesir as beings of myth and saga, which makes Loki, the god of lies and thus the ultimate storyteller, uniquely powerful. But toward the end of Agent of Asgard, some of it started coming off as directed at Marvel fans in general. It feels like some of it's sour grapes like "look at all the cool weird stories we got to tell. Too bad you dicks just want a one-dimensional villain again."

Am I reading too much into it or was AoA killed because more people wanted a classic-style Loki? I'm getting echoes here of MGS4 where Kojima is like "look at the sweet game you could be playing if you entrenched nostalgic nerds weren't married to loving Snake." Or where Teen Titans Go! openly poo poo-talked itself as being infinitely worse than its original show.

I don't think Ewing was trying to poo poo on Marvel fans, just reinforcing that Loki more than any other Asgardian is more myth than fact, thus not fully tamed by universe ending thing. Silver Surfer did a similar thing I'm told, though I avoided it on general principal of "written by Dan Slott."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ImpAtom posted:

"Good" Loki's story has always been to some degree about the fact that fans will not allow characters to change. It is not the sole thing the story is about but Loki being forced to struggle with the expectations of who he is vs what he wants to become has been a fairly central element of the character.
Yeah, straight from JiM on, the core conflict of good Loki has been "the entire universe expects Loki to be the bad guy and literally the second you stop trying, you're going to end up a villain again because some lazy story needs some cackling idiot to twirl his mustache and you're on the list". If anything I think AoA put a pretty good capstone on that story, with seed-of-evil-Loki Loki denying that destiny and god-of-stories Loki offering absolution to evil future Loki. Which is why I've been really bummed out and also worried every time Marvel announces a slew of new titles and there's still no Loki ongoing.

Also I would just like to point out that by the end of AoA, Loki had become a trickster who hopped around time and space doing good in roundabout ways with his attractive female companion by his side, and seriously "Dr. Who in the Marvel universe and also he's Loki" writes itself what the gently caress are you doing Marvel, get another Loki book already.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 8, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, straight from JiM on, the core conflict of good Loki has been "the entire universe expects Loki to be the bad guy and literally the second you stop trying, you're going to end up a villain again because some lazy story needs some cackling idiot to twirl his mustache and you're on the list". If anything I think AoA put a pretty good capstone on that story, with seed-of-evil-Loki Loki denying that destiny and god-of-stories Loki offering absolution to evil future Loki. Which is why I've been really bummed out and also worried every time Marvel announces a slew of new titles and there's still no Loki ongoing.

We have Handsome Helpful Doom. I bet Loki will at least show up in Thor, then maybe Ultimates. (Ewing is writing that, right?)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CapnAndy posted:

"Dr. Who in the Marvel universe and also he's Loki" writes itself what the gently caress are you doing Marvel, get another Loki book already.

I'm not completely caught up, but isn't Silver Surfer already "Doctor Who in the Marvel universe"?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Skwirl posted:

We have Handsome Helpful Doom. I bet Loki will at least show up in Thor, then maybe Ultimates. (Ewing is writing that, right?)

Ultimates is a thing still?

I'm guessing it's part of the New Marvel line-up?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CzarChasm posted:

Yes it has the world being saved by the power of girlfriends dancing with each other.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Phylodox posted:

I'm not completely caught up, but isn't Silver Surfer already "Doctor Who in the Marvel universe"?

More or less, and I found it quite good and entertaining. Allred's art helps it a lot of course. Seems Slott just needs a break from writing Spider-man than just having become a bad writer in general.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

It's Blue Marvel, Captain Marvel, Ms America, Monica Rambeaeu, and Black Panther with special guest appearance by Galactus. They win fights thru the power of dance, it will be amazeballs.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

There can be two Doctors! Why shouldn't there?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

There can be two Doctors! Why shouldn't there?

Because that story wasn't that good and vegetarianism is over-rated.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Die Laughing posted:

you're absolutely wrong about Teen Titans Go!

I've seen like one episode, so it's not my judgment. All I know is there's literally a scene where they learn about their old show and are like "so why are we shoddily animated fartsmiths instead of whatever we used to be?"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I've seen like one episode, so it's not my judgment. All I know is there's literally a scene where they learn about their old show and are like "so why are we shoddily animated fartsmiths instead of whatever we used to be?"

I'm pretty sure thats the plot synopsis of the final Batman: Brave and the Bold series which was really just a blatant poke at anyone whoever hated the show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

I'm pretty sure thats the plot synopsis of the final Batman: Brave and the Bold series which was really just a blatant poke at anyone whoever hated the show.

Nope, TTG just did do a segment with the characters watching highlights of the old show and getting into the action, angst and drama.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There's two episodes like that - one where they run into Young Justice and get ~*serious and gritty*~, and one where their metafictional TV addict nerd villain shows them the old show and they get addicted to it. Both are making fun of those perspectives.

Madkal posted:

Also, there was a scene in another episode where Batmite was speaking at a convention full of Batman cosplayers and stated that the show's premise was just as valid an interpretation of Batman as "the tortured avenger crying out for Mommy and Daddy".

The whole thing is kind of funny since I remember that the original Teen Titans cartoon got a lot of flack for being too silly and anime and not a Bruce Timm cartoon adapting Wolfman/Perez stories 1:1 like it should have been! Nevermind that Teen Titans ended up being super, super Wolfman/Perez regardless of the animation style. Now the fans of that cartoon are giving the new one poo poo for similar reasons! Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're kind of right though. It's just window dressing for a generic modern cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
This is a probably a really stupid question but I can't seem to figure it out. How do you know if a new series is going to be a miniseries or not?

Sometimes they are marked issue 1/6 or something like that and it's obvious. But there's a bunch that I started following (Nameless, Chrononauts, We Stand on Guard, Lando) that turned out to be five or six parters and I never seem to know that going in. It wasn't obvious anywhere.

The only reason I'm interested in knowing is because some of those I'd rather have picked up as trades than individual issues.