Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, try your right index finger instead, at least as an experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

HTC, get your loving poo poo together.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I just bought a new Nexus 6P and along with many people I need to buy new USB-C cables.

Yoozon USB-C USB 2.0 cables on Amazon seem to have good reviews and are compatible with my 6P - http://www.amazon.com/Yoozon%C2%AE-Oneplus-Type-C-Supported-Devices/dp/B013187HZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446917631&sr=8-1&keywords=usb-c

However, is there a benefit to spending more money and getting the USB-C 3.0 type cables as seen here? - http://www.amazon.com/NewLobo-1-meter-Standard-Supported-Devices/dp/B00URK1V1U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1446917631&sr=8-3&keywords=usb-c

I know that the 6P only supports up to 2.0 for data transfer but I'm not sure whether I should go with USB 3.0 to be more future proof. I do have a USB 3.0 SS (Super Speed) port on my Lenovo laptop - will it charge my 6P faster if I purchase the USB 3.0 cable?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 7, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You should try to get one of the cables known to follow the USB-C spec properly. A Google engineer is reviewing cables on Amazon and most of them don't.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A25GROL6KJV3QG/ref=cm_cr_rdp_pdp?tag=androidpolice-20

The non-compliant cables cause the phone to draw more power than a USB-A port is required to handle, so they can trip polyfuses or even damage the power supply.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
How's the LG V10? Pros and Cons from any owners? One of my coworkers bought one, and I really liked the phone after researching it a bit. I really don't want to go back to HTC.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

repiv posted:

You should try to get one of the cables known to follow the USB-C spec properly. A Google engineer is reviewing cables on Amazon and most of them don't.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A25GROL6KJV3QG/ref=cm_cr_rdp_pdp?tag=androidpolice-20

The non-compliant cables cause the phone to draw more power than a USB-A port is required to handle, so they can trip polyfuses or even damage the power supply.

Thank you for the link. It's frustrating that USB-C is a fairly new thing for a good portion of Android users so there are many mixed reviews on certain cables. I wonder if he will ever review the Yoozon cables.

Also, even though the 6P only supports USB-C 2.0, will there be a benefit in buying a USB-C 3.0 cable and plugging that into my USB 3.0 SS port on my laptop to charge my 6P?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Nondescript Van posted:

I have a moto x pure edition and I just bought a nexus 6p.

I don't know what I am doing any more.

I might do this too in a few months.

Not that I don't like the MXP on T-Mobile, it's just that the 6p might be a better LT choice on Fi network and I am finding out quickly I don't really care about having 192gb of storage on my phone and will continue to keep a secondary device in my car for music.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

Also, even though the 6P only supports USB-C 2.0, will there be a benefit in buying a USB-C 3.0 cable and plugging that into my USB 3.0 SS port on my laptop to charge my 6P?

USB-A 3.0 raised the required power from 500mA to 900mA, so it could charge faster if the cable is configured to make the phone draw that extra current. Still pales in comparison to the 6Ps 3000mA wall charger though.

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 7, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

repiv posted:

A Google engineer is reviewing cables on Amazon and most of them don't.

And... The soundtrack for The Orange Box. :laugh: Of course.

Seriously, this employee is providing a great service and deserves all commendation. His writing doesn't suck either, which is just icing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I'm trying out this new Note 5 I got from work, and Touchwiz definitely has gotten way better since the last time I used it. My only issues/questions are:

1) Is there any way to get rid of the brightness slider from the tray? I keep hitting it accidentally and there's no toggle I can find for it. I use automatic brightness anyways, and the only solutions I can find online require root.

2) Any way to get the Google stock dialer app other than sideloading? Being a work phone that's not doable.

3) Is the Samsung camera app actually good? The stock Google camera doesn't even seem to work right, HDR mode doesn't work. Manual Camera works though which is good, I use that app a lot.

4) Is there an ETA for 6.0 on this thing?

Thanks thread!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Samsung camera app owns bones, one of the best out there imo.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

hooah posted:

Yeah, try your right index finger instead, at least as an experiment.

I did, and it still is really flaky. It definitely reads my right index finger better on initial input, but it's still like 50/50 on whether it opens with it in the 5 tried before it said I've tried too many times and have to enter the password. I wonder if I should ask Google to replace it.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

berzerker posted:

I wonder if I should ask Google to replace it.

Yes, your phone is broken

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

berzerker posted:

I did, and it still is really flaky. It definitely reads my right index finger better on initial input, but it's still like 50/50 on whether it opens with it in the 5 tried before it said I've tried too many times and have to enter the password. I wonder if I should ask Google to replace it.

Definitely ask them to replace it. I've had my fingerprint fail to read maybe 3 times in the week I've had it.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
Okay, started the replacement. Now just a two week wait for that to be mailed out!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

SellYourHTCStock.html

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

beerinator posted:

This seems counterintuitive, but I felt the same way until I got a case. I've never been a case guy, but I got the official (expensive) case and I really like it. I definitely don't feel like I'm going to fling it across the room by accident anymore.

There's really no question that this is a two handed phone though.
This was also my experience. It felt manageable but precarious without a case. With a case it feels totally fine, and not really any bigger.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I'm getting txt messages from friends but it won't let me read them. They show up in hangouts as "New MMS message to download: size 1KB, expires on XX/XX X:XX" Touch to retry downloading and it just sits there saying "Downloading" indefinitely

On Nexus 5, android 6.0, T-Mobile. I tried turning off WiFi, resetting APN to default and rebooting doesn't seem to help. My phone is showing 3/4 to full signal LTE.

It just started doing it this evening I think the first was a group MMS that started it, and then 2 more replies that i can't read.

Anyone know how to fix this crap?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Shadowgate posted:

Yeah this isn't normal. Mine works first try about 98% of the time.
98% success rate at any angle. Its very good.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

repiv posted:

Ugh this stuff is so annoying. What car charger is recommended? I'm 0 for 2 on Amazon now with my Nexus 6 QC 2.0 not working and now a 6P type C not working. Older micro usb chargers worked fine so it's not my car.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

repiv posted:

To be clear, the non-compliant cables *CAN* cause the phone to draw more power than the source is designed to handle, so they can damage the source device. If the source is designed for 3A draw than its not an issue.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

peepsalot posted:

I'm getting txt messages from friends but it won't let me read them. They show up in hangouts as "New MMS message to download: size 1KB, expires on XX/XX X:XX" Touch to retry downloading and it just sits there saying "Downloading" indefinitely

On Nexus 5, android 6.0, T-Mobile. I tried turning off WiFi, resetting APN to default and rebooting doesn't seem to help. My phone is showing 3/4 to full signal LTE.

It just started doing it this evening I think the first was a group MMS that started it, and then 2 more replies that i can't read.

My wife had the same problem and it turned out to be an app. Hers wasn't Pushbullet, but that seemed to be a common complaint. Try booting your phone into safe mode and using MMS - https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en. If that works, you have a problem app and should start uninstalling poo poo.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Buy a good type C -> type A cable on that Google dude's list and then buy the cigarette lighter USB type A adapter.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Then buy another one in a few months when car chargers with USB-PD fast charging exist.

Being an early adopter sucks :v:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

grilldos posted:

Buy a good type C -> type A cable on that Google dude's list and then buy the cigarette lighter USB type A adapter.

The only one that ships to Vancouver (still with a 3-5 week wait) is 6.5 feet long. Oh well I guess people will be able to charge from the back seat.

edit: actually the Belkin one is on amazon.ca... for $70. hahaha

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Reverse Centaur posted:

The only one that ships to Vancouver (still with a 3-5 week wait) is 6.5 feet long. Oh well I guess people will be able to charge from the back seat.

Does the Google store carry accessories in Canada? They sell a 1 meter cable which is obviously fine.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Internet Explorer posted:

My wife had the same problem and it turned out to be an app. Hers wasn't Pushbullet, but that seemed to be a common complaint. Try booting your phone into safe mode and using MMS - https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en. If that works, you have a problem app and should start uninstalling poo poo.

But i love my pushbullet. Say it isn't so

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

repiv posted:

Does the Google store carry accessories in Canada? They sell a 1 meter cable which is obviously fine.

I forgot the phone came with a tiny USB one that works great for the car and not much else so we're good there.

I bought this car adapter... any red flags?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B014F2NQ36

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

peepsalot posted:

But i love my pushbullet. Say it isn't so

For what it's worth, it's been fine for me under the same conditions. I think it has to do with a combination of carrier or sender because it only seems to affect some people.

vv They pushed out like three updates in the last week so if that's what they're trying to tackle it makes sense.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 8, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah they've pushed out a fix for it but it's super difficult for them to reproduce reliably which makes it difficult to fix totally.

I'm glad they got the quick actions working for 6.0 I was worried it actually required root but thankfully it just needed an update.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

peepsalot posted:

Try using a different all altogether. I had issues with Hangouts and Messenger but Textra was able to do group messages and MMS just fine where the other two failed.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
What are my options for a 5 inch screen or smaller phone with a great camera? This busted rear end Galaxy Nexus phone I'm using needs to go.

Thanks goons!

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Present posted:

What are my options for a 5 inch screen or smaller phone with a great camera?

Nexus 5X if you can deal with an extra .2" of screen.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Present posted:

What are my options for a 5 inch screen or smaller phone with a great camera? This busted rear end Galaxy Nexus phone I'm using needs to go.

Thanks goons!

Galaxy S6.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
My N5 wasn't getting MMS on T-Mobile when I upgraded to Marshmallow, and I fixed it. Then my 5X wasn't getting MMS right away, and I did the same fix.

Settings > More > Cellular Networks > Access Point Names > click on whatever default is selected to edit > click Username and change from "Not set" to "None"

Doing that worked both times.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Cross posting this from the iPhone thread as it can be argued from both sides of the fence which thread can help the most:

My wife wants to try Android for a spin on my 3rd gen G. I recall two years ago when I switched there was a big issue with iMessage hijacking your device number somehow and causing problems once you put your sim in the new device.

Has this issue been worked out? Are there any steps I can take to minimize disruption and have a seamless transition between the two OSs (and likely back again)?

Thanks in advance.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

TraderStav posted:

Cross posting this from the iPhone thread as it can be argued from both sides of the fence which thread can help the most:

My wife wants to try Android for a spin on my 3rd gen G. I recall two years ago when I switched there was a big issue with iMessage hijacking your device number somehow and causing problems once you put your sim in the new device.

Has this issue been worked out? Are there any steps I can take to minimize disruption and have a seamless transition between the two OSs (and likely back again)?

Thanks in advance.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

She can just turn off iMessage on the iPhone now, but if that doesn't work use the other method. Also, anyone she texted also with an iPhone (so her iMessage to their iMessage) may need to delete the convo thread to be able to receive messages from her Android phone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

She needs to go into iMessage on the settings of that phone and any other Apple device she has and make sure it is signed out of iMessage. Facetime too.

Next, turn off iMessage on the phone.

Then maybe go here for good measure to unlink the phone number for sure.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

You will still have issues with group messages and you will probably fail to receive messages from any existing group conversations, unless everyone in the group deletes the conversation and starts over. The Apple messages app will not convert an iMessage group conversation into a MMS group if one of the parties stops using iMessage; they just get blackholed until everyone deletes that conversation and someone re-creates it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Thanks! So the technical issue is more than iMessage doesn't follow the standard MMS format on outgoings so much when you switch it doesn't roll over. Have to wonder if there was a benefit to that switch or just apple being apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Thanks! So the technical issue is more than iMessage doesn't follow the standard MMS format on outgoings so much when you switch it doesn't roll over. Have to wonder if there was a benefit to that switch or just apple being apple.

iMessage isn't MMS at all. It's built on top of Apple's iCloud and push infrastructures and bypasses the carrier completely. If you have Macs and iPads too this means you get your "texts" on every device.

If you don't turn iMessage off, your phone number is listed in an Apple directory service as having iMessage enabled. If so then messages sent to you will bypass SMS and be sent as iMessage, and since you're on Android you'll never see them.