Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I like motegi :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Bunch of loving masochistic up in here

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
After half an hour or so I haven't yet gotten a time I'm pleased with on Bugatti but I have scraped a 2:22:970 so far.

The MINI is extremely technical and doesn't quite work with orthodox FWD driving techniques - the soft suspension and short wheelbase mean it will turn on a dime under braking, spin with barely any provocation on steering and torquesteer in a straight line at any hint of throttle, which means the car can't be driven efficiently by just modulating the steering through a corner to balance out understeer with traction since even a dab of 5% throttle will straight the car out instantly.

Needed to learn how to perform some impromtu trailbraking techniques just to get past the first corner - basically, you've got to treat the car as if it's a very powerful RWD car rather than a very underpowered FWD one and alternate firmly between trailbraking and trail acceleration.

Should be able to get it down to 2:20 flat with more practice but I'm burned out for tonight - it takes a lot of concentration to get much out of it.

Bugatti itself is also absurdly technical as well and I haven't been able to get a feel for many of the corners.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cubey posted:

That's the real bitch of it. I loving love Le Mans full, it's rad. The corners are all fun and it's a challenging track, even more so since it favors high-speed cars that generally have poor handling as a trade-off. And then we got this lovely thing associated with Le Mans tacked on to it. It's like when Gran Turismo 4 had the old Fuji variants and then the loving abhorrent insult that is new Fuji.

Yeah I really enjoyed the endurance race at Le Mans. I just wish you didn't have to be in the prototype cars and had the option to select the lower class cars.

I'm more hoping for tracks as releases than car packs. If T10 were to release a new track and variants every other month or something, I think that'd be just as welcome. Even fantasy tracks like Rio. I know it will never happen, but it'd be cool if they gave us the old Spa as another classic track (or Circuito de Gavea).

Project Cars and MotoGP have some really fun tracks, I hope some of them find their way into forza land.

geeves fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 8, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

A classic track pack with old Spa, old Hockenheim, old Le Mans, old Monza complete with the oval section, and 80's Silverstone would be dope but probably will never happen for a whole lot of reasons. Which is a shame because I cannot tell you how much I'd love to throw a modern car around the absolute batshit crazy version of Monza.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's not that great. The monza oval is narrow as hell and the transitions are not forgiving. It would be impossible to drive a car in traffic on that with a controller.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I like that old version of Monza on Asseto Corsa.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Narrowed it to 2:22:625 but I don't seem to have the dexterity to put down a full proper lap.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Cojawfee posted:

It's not that great. The monza oval is narrow as hell and the transitions are not forgiving. It would be impossible to drive a car in traffic on that with a controller.

It's Forza, they'll just make it wider

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TheScott2K posted:

It's Forza, they'll just make it wider

Maybe in older Forzas, but they laser scan everything now.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Here's the link to the time challenge entry form and result sheet again. It's updated for the new spec and results from previous weeks will stay on the results sheet.

Entry form: http://goo.gl/forms/WXZq6fAyTp
Results: https://goo.gl/CpHIeL

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
Does anyone know why, despite completing many races, my Drivatar Sync is at stuck at 0% on some tracks?

This phenomenon is occurring on ALL VARIATIONS of Hockenheim, Sonoma, and Monza, but every variation of every other track has at least some sync %, and most are at 100% by now.

What gives?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I put an updated time on the spreadsheet with a screenshot and now i'm on it twice. i didnt see an option to edit my old time.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
No need to edit your old times. Just throw a new one up.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The headlights on the lotus esprit are worthless. I just did a night race on spa and couldn't see more than a foot in front of my car.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I set a mug down next to my XBox controller and accidentally turned it on. When I noticed, I switched over to it so I could turn it off and saw a 3.5GB update that needed downloading.
This is the 3rd time since last week I've installed a 3.5GB update to this console. Is it the same update over and over or have there actually been three of these in a week?

If it is the same one, have any of you run into this and is there anything I can do to make it stick?

On my new broadband it downloads quickly but it's still annoying.

Anyone?

(additional info: the first update gave me the new dashboard/menus and at no time have I received any error messages about an update failing to install)

VVV Hrmmmm... curious. VVV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 10, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just checked and got no update. I'm looking forward to the new dash to test out the backwards compatibility.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
New dash is a massive improvement. Once you get over the initial "OMG everything's different and I hate change!" reaction that most people have, you'll realize that it's way better than the old dash.

Doing anything is also 50x quicker in the new dash which is how things should have been from the beginning, but oh well.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Bugmini continues to be the greatest challenge mankind (or at least me) has faced.

It's annoying to know that if I could properly master the characteristics of this car that it'd be a shoe-in for a 2:20 - it's still cool though as this is probably the first time that I've actually had to think about how a car's suspension and the lines it takes vs. just powering around the track and getting a passable time due to bared teeth alone.

All of you gunefaces that haven't put a time in yet should get moving because it is rad.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Speaking of new dash, can the xbox one play music while you are gaming without sacrificing half the screen? I would love it if I could stream music from my PC while playing games like you could on Xbox and Xbox 360...

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Wait, so you only need to be in the top three to advance the story mode?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Atmus posted:

Wait, so you only need to be in the top three to advance the story mode?

Yes. Podium finishes.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
So all this rage about needing to catch some enemy car with a 20% faster lap time has been for nothing? drat IT!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Atmus posted:

So all this rage about needing to catch some enemy car with a 20% faster lap time has been for nothing? drat IT!

Yeah, this podium finish requirement is actually making the game more enjoyable for me which I didn't think would be the case.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
But my stats go down!!!

Seriously though.

Actually it's the money.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah but do you wanna take second place to an AI car???

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

GutBomb posted:

The headlights on the lotus esprit are worthless. I just did a night race on spa and couldn't see more than a foot in front of my car.

Good lord yes. Did someone forget to program high beams for that car?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Yeah but do you wanna take second place to an AI car???

I already lost to MattDizzle once, so it's not like I can go any lower.

Besides, gently caress that enemy car for no bullshit having a 32 second lap when I can just manage 40 seconds.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Atmus posted:

Besides, gently caress that enemy car for no bullshit having a 32 second lap when I can just manage 40 seconds.
It really is obnoxious. If it's already given that AI is always going to require me to race like an angry Viking on PCP I at least want the satisfaction of being able to win on "Experienced" AI level.
If I drop it down, turn down driver aggression, still there's always the same AI guy (a different one each series) who is not catchable; I have two choices: I either have to start over until I can get in front of him somewhere (driving dirty defense for the rest of the race) or settle for 2nd and lose out on the cash and XP.

I get to advance (to more of the same annoying racing) but I don't really want to launch the next race.

If it felt like a fair challenge it wouldn't rub me the wrong way. I understand real-time racing AI is going to be stuck this way until amazing programmers can capture the experience of racing against real people, which I suspect will require significantly faster processing power with enough to spare for this improved AI. In the meantime, I'm not saying I want to be in 1st by turn two and run away afterwards, either. That's not much fun at all. Just a challenge that doesn't require so much luck and then dirty defensive driving.

Is it fair to say that this is a function of a new AI system, and not just a result of starting 12th in a 24-car pack? Judging by lap times and previous Forzas is it likely to be the former?

I really would like to continue my SP career, and I will regardless; but if this is a bug I sure would like to see it fixed.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I hate the whole "place top 3 to advance" system. In racing you cant expect to win every race. If you dont come 18th or 11th or 9th than a series of wins are meaningless. It would be better if they found a way to introduce a points system, even if its spread over 3 3 lap races.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Dr. Faustus posted:

It really is obnoxious. If it's already given that AI is always going to require me to race like an angry Viking on PCP I at least want the satisfaction of being able to win on "Experienced" AI level.
If I drop it down, turn down driver aggression, still there's always the same AI guy (a different one each series) who is not catchable; I have two choices: I either have to start over until I can get in front of him somewhere (driving dirty defense for the rest of the race) or settle for 2nd and lose out on the cash and XP.

I get to advance (to more of the same annoying racing) but I don't really want to launch the next race.

If it felt like a fair challenge it wouldn't rub me the wrong way. I understand real-time racing AI is going to be stuck this way until amazing programmers can capture the experience of racing against real people, which I suspect will require significantly faster processing power with enough to spare for this improved AI. In the meantime, I'm not saying I want to be in 1st by turn two and run away afterwards, either. That's not much fun at all. Just a challenge that doesn't require so much luck and then dirty defensive driving.

Is it fair to say that this is a function of a new AI system, and not just a result of starting 12th in a 24-car pack? Judging by lap times and previous Forzas is it likely to be the former?

I really would like to continue my SP career, and I will regardless; but if this is a bug I sure would like to see it fixed.

It seems like the top car is using some flavor of leaderboard time for its driving patterns while the other cars are dumbed down - though in a hilarious touch, when I was playing the game about a week or two after launch the lead car actually managed to place a time that was a full second faster than the #1 position on the leaderboard (which was itself set in a leaderboard AWD hack car).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Holy wow people are really bitching a lot on the Forza forums about this game. It has some flaws and all, but jeez. Is there something I'm missing?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Cubey posted:

Holy wow people are really bitching a lot on the Forza forums about this game. It has some flaws and all, but jeez. Is there something I'm missing?

Gamers are the worst.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Just a glorious online session in B class. There are two pubbies screaming at each other in chat and basically were blocking the entire track. If this had been real life one if not both of them would have the other.

Instead everyone is laughing until we realized they were barely moving and caused those of us who were 1-4 and actually having a solid race to crash into them. I wish I had my video card running because the bickering was great

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spades posted:

It seems like the top car is using some flavor of leaderboard time for its driving patterns while the other cars are dumbed down - though in a hilarious touch, when I was playing the game about a week or two after launch the lead car actually managed to place a time that was a full second faster than the #1 position on the leaderboard (which was itself set in a leaderboard AWD hack car).
Ok, that's bad; but it's funny. I rarely check the FM6 forums but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a discussion going about stuff like that. I expect it will be addressed.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Norns posted:

Gamers are the worst.

Well yeah, that goes without saying. I guess I just don't get it. There wasn't this much vitriol when Forza 4 launched with that godawful bug that caused every person in a lobby to hardlock when the lobby crashed, that was a hell of a lot worse than any issues in Forza 6.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cubey posted:

Well yeah, that goes without saying. I guess I just don't get it. There wasn't this much vitriol when Forza 4 launched with that godawful bug that caused every person in a lobby to hardlock when the lobby crashed, that was a hell of a lot worse than any issues in Forza 6.
That's a good point. Some of us think FM5 got a bad rap, but until you mentioned it I had actually forgotten about trying to play multiplayer and my console locking up. That really was a long and serious impediment to getting racers together. Not to mention that it was often the lobby host who locked up, leaving whoever was randomly selected to run the lobby, trying to pick up the pieces.

What a mess that was.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

aw come on dawg hell naw

Combined with the previous time there this is the second time I've been just barely off breaking into the 21s.

I would recommend everyone run a second run of Bugatti with tires down about 3psi apiece, it makes the car far more driveable.

Spades fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 11, 2015

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Speaking of new dash, can the xbox one play music while you are gaming without sacrificing half the screen? I would love it if I could stream music from my PC while playing games like you could on Xbox and Xbox 360...

This is rumored to be coming in an update sometime "soon"
So is mouse and keyboard support apparently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Spades posted:

aw come on dawg hell naw

Combined with the previous time there this is the second time I've been just barely off breaking into the 21s.

I would recommend everyone run a second run of Bugatti with tires down about 3psi apiece, it makes the car far more driveable.

I (whatcubed) will run a few laps when I get home from work today before setting up my truck for tonight's action. Judging from your comments I should be in the mid 22's to low 23's, but I'm good at driving poo poo cars so there's hope!

• Locked thread