Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah, I have heard of that scheme before but its kinda a special hack since you're calling them first, which lets them know you're right there. So there's no hanging around the phone for hours waiting for the call shenanigans.

Hanging around the phone would be weird.

A kind of IMM, but with a book, in Gibson's seminal cyberpunk novel Neuromancer, near the end there's a big showdown that takes place by a bank of payphones. He got so much right, but not that.

(I love that each new trilogy he writes comes closer to the present (The Sprawl is pretty far out, The Bridge is some decades out, Blue Ant is "tomorrow"), except for The Peripheral which is an entirely new thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
**edit: jesus 5 pages had passed between quote and refresh.. I'm a dickhead, sorry.

PuntCuncher has a new favorite as of 11:36 on Nov 7, 2015

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Watching Inside Out made me like Frozen a lot less in hind-sight.

In Inside Out, the conflict is Riley's emotions being thrown out of balance when her family moves to another state. Everyone in Riley's head want's to do the best for Riley, and Riley's Joy comes to realise that she needs to work with Riley's Sadness and not reject her. There's a conflict but there's no villain.

In Frozen, Queen Elsa throws herself into icy exile and the conflict involves her sister Anna trying to talk her out of it. So why do need a bad guy show up in Act 3 to get the balls rolling? Unlike most Disney villains Hans doesn't get his own song, isn't especially powerful, and is pretty much divorced from the real conflict. Barely anyone knows him all that well and he scarcely does anything in middle act. He can't help but feel disposable.

What other films suffer from having a completely redundant villain?

To be fair, I think part of the whole purpose of Hans was to go against the typical Disney/fairy tale story trope of having the princess find a perfect guy and fall magically in love with him instantly; having him turn out to be the villain highlights what bullshit "love at first sight" is in movies, and that the bond between the sisters trumps whatever they have going on with guys.

Basically, Uteruses before Duderuses.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I'm finally finishing Breaking Bad and it really annoys me how loving slow people in a lot of media are to respond to things. A lot of times it's because a character is mulling it over in their head and that's fine but there are times where people take like five goddamn minutes to get off their rear end and open up the door like c'mon that's super rude!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Watching Inside Out made me like Frozen a lot less in hind-sight.

In Inside Out, the conflict is Riley's emotions being thrown out of balance when her family moves to another state. Everyone in Riley's head want's to do the best for Riley, and Riley's Joy comes to realise that she needs to work with Riley's Sadness and not reject her. There's a conflict but there's no villain.

In Frozen, Queen Elsa throws herself into icy exile and the conflict involves her sister Anna trying to talk her out of it. So why do need a bad guy show up in Act 3 to get the balls rolling? Unlike most Disney villains Hans doesn't get his own song, isn't especially powerful, and is pretty much divorced from the real conflict. Barely anyone knows him all that well and he scarcely does anything in middle act. He can't help but feel disposable.

Hans exists to misdirect and subvert the usual Disney princess storyline. The whole twist at the end of the movie is that the 'true love' Anna needs to cure her doesn't come from some random handsome dude she met a few days ago, but from her sister. He's a pretty pivotal part of the film.

For my part, Spectre:

- At the start a building explodes, Bond runs for thirty seconds and ends up in a crowd of happy parade-goers. No way do people keep dancing and having a good time when a massive explosion just levelled a building a few streets away.
- When Bond is fighting the guy in the helicopter, he nudges the pilot and it goes out of control. But then there's like two minutes of him fighting without going near the pilot, and the copter just keeps on making wild swooping movements. Is the pilot trying to mess with them, or is he just terrible?
- At the end Bond shoots down a helicopter from a massive distance with his Walther PPK. A small calibre handgun that would be a) totally inaccurate at that distance and b) about as effective as a peashooter.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spectre opens with a line about the dead walking the earth, and the idea it created of James bond opposing the undead was more interesting than the movie's actual plot.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

jabby posted:

Hans exists to misdirect and subvert the usual Disney princess storyline. The whole twist at the end of the movie is that the 'true love' Anna needs to cure her doesn't come from some random handsome dude she met a few days ago, but from her sister. He's a pretty pivotal part of the film.

For my part, Spectre:

- At the start a building explodes, Bond runs for thirty seconds and ends up in a crowd of happy parade-goers. No way do people keep dancing and having a good time when a massive explosion just levelled a building a few streets away.
- When Bond is fighting the guy in the helicopter, he nudges the pilot and it goes out of control. But then there's like two minutes of him fighting without going near the pilot, and the copter just keeps on making wild swooping movements. Is the pilot trying to mess with them, or is he just terrible?
- At the end Bond shoots down a helicopter from a massive distance with his Walther PPK. A small calibre handgun that would be a) totally inaccurate at that distance and b) abogut as effective as a peashooter.

-Couldn't hear it over the paaaaaaaarty!
-Dude got KOed by a hard Bond nudge
-He's James Bond

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I haven't watched Spectre, but I'll assume Bond gives an innocent crowd of people the John Landis treatment with a helicopter.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I haven't watched Spectre, but I'll assume Bond gives an innocent crowd of people the John Landis treatment with a helicopter.

It's a metaphor for western interventionalism

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

So this movie is definitely not kid friendly?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I don't get the trailers for Spectre. "It was me, james, I was messing with you the whole movie. Hahahaha bet you didn't see that coming? I'm that character actor you vaguely recognize with the werner herzog accent. I'm the secret badguy twist ending of the movie" okay well thanks for telling me, the potential viewer that. Now I don't need to see the movie.

I feel like the trailer should have been james asking "is someone messing with me this whole time? What is the deal?" and a shadowy figure laughs so I say " I bet someone IS messing with him and I'm going to watch to find out who"

I'm 100% sure I'm looking at this wrong but this is my interpretation and I'm just really confused they're stating they have a twist and telling me what that twist is during all of the trailers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Snapchat A Titty posted:

It's a metaphor for western interventionalism

It's a metaphor for alcoholism.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

To be fair the most annoying bit of Spectre is that towards the end Bond goes to visit Blofeld without any sort of plan besides get captured, get tortured and wing it from there. I mean he literally surrenders to him, somehow survives the torture without permanent injury due to sheer luck, and then escapes due to sheer luck. And the shoots down his helicopter in total defiance of the laws of physics.

Basically I would be pretty pissed if I was the villain, because Bond is a hapless idiot who is totally outclassed at every turn but succeeds due to blind luck and blatantly impossible feats.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
sooooo what James Bond does

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Seven blades, Paul!

That scene was pure cheesecake, gratuitous nudity for no loving reason, and I'm fine with it :pervert:

In a lot of ways the Dune Miniseries was Game of Thrones before Game of Thrones.

I haven't seen the miniseries of Dune Messiah, but that scene was in the book. Alia meets Duncan Idaho's reanimated corpse, gets all horny and decides to do her fighting training in the nude. Paul walks in on her and for a not-quite-the-universe's-superbeing exhibits a surprisingly high amount of "What the gently caress?"

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Have you seen Duncan Idaho?? There's a reason so much of the future universe is inhabited by his descendants.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

jabby posted:

I think it's a combination of a bunch of unsecured weight bouncing around in the back, coupled with the jostling of the seat that makes it hard to regain full control of the copter. The pilot might also be working to get Sciarra the upper hand, because I think he realises that Sciarra has his arms wrapped in those straps and Bond probably doesn't, and is trying to pitch Bond out the side with the roll.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

That was because of script rewrites. Elsa was originally the villain, and Hans was just trying to save the villagers, but then they rewrote it to have Elsa and Anna be sisters and Elsa not really a villain so they needed to shoehorn Hans into that role.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ignite Memories posted:

Have you seen Duncan Idaho?? There's a reason so much of the future universe is inhabited by his descendants.

Yeah, but his name is Duncan and his last name is basically synonymous with potatoes. That's gotta knock down the sexiness factor a few ticks.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

It's not really a redundant villain, but I don't think the bad guy in 5th element and Bruce Willis ever actually interact at all. It's been a long time since I saw it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's not really a redundant villain, but I don't think the bad guy in 5th element and Bruce Willis ever actually interact at all. It's been a long time since I saw it.

Nah, they even missed each other on the pleasure planet cruise ship thing. Zor did fire Bruce unknowingly but they never interacted except by proxy of the alien warrior guys. Even then it was never personal.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Spoilers for Jurassic World I guess?
In the climactic fight, if the T-rex's brain can parse the fact that she was saved by Blue, wouldn't she also have this huge instinctual hatred of raptors, seeing as how she's the OG Rex from the first movie and she got the scars after being attacked by others raptors? I do love that it's the some one, though. Also, I like to imagine that soon after Blue parted ways from Owen, sparing him, Claire, and the kids, she immediately attacked some other poor straggling survivor.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I just assumed it decided it had enough, and killing something that isn't currently posing a threat wasn't worth the effort.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

syscall girl posted:

Nah, they even missed each other on the pleasure planet cruise ship thing. Zor did fire Bruce unknowingly but they never interacted except by proxy of the alien warrior guys. Even then it was never personal.

I think he was talking about the evil death sun instead of Zorg?

Corbin sorta interacts with it at the end but its really Leeloo. Although I guess you could say Zorg is the villain and the death sun is a macguffin.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
The only thing the deathsun did is drip bbq sauce on Zorgs head.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I just assumed it decided it had enough, and killing something that isn't currently posing a threat wasn't worth the effort.
Makes sense. "I'm too old for this poo poo."

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

The Missing Link posted:

The only thing the deathsun did is drip bbq sauce on Zorgs head.

That still baffles me

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Novum posted:

That still baffles me

It's liquid evil oozing out of Gary Oldman.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Novum posted:

That still baffles me

I originally interpreted it as his black rear end boot polish hair stuff running with sweat but apparently the general guy has it happen to him as well and the script basically calls it evil goo.

Really odd thing to include with basically no context.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Is he not just bleeding? I thought the raw destructive nature of the deathsun was killing him as a passive effect of simply holding a conversation. Like, if they talked for 5-10 minutes his head would eventually have exploded.

Nutsngum posted:

Really odd thing to include with basically no context.

fifthelement.txt

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

rydiafan posted:

Is he not just bleeding? I thought the raw destructive nature of the deathsun was killing him as a passive effect of simply holding a conversation. Like, if they talked for 5-10 minutes his head would eventually have exploded.

fifthelement.txt

I thought it was a deliberate warning. Like Darth Vader choking a guy.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, but his name is Duncan and his last name is basically synonymous with potatoes. That's gotta knock down the sexiness factor a few ticks.

What on Earth is unsexy about the name Duncan? It's a perfectly sexy name, attached to a perfectly sexy character.

Can you guess what my name is?

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

rydiafan posted:

fifthelement.txt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw973qKqBLc

I always throught it was a reference to old-school WWF, papa-shango.

(Evil goo at about 50 seconds in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzJ6wr_MBqQ&t=2s
(Also here @ 2:14)

Cornuto has a new favorite as of 20:56 on Nov 8, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Spectre the Blofeld reveal was kind of stupid just for how little it actually mattered to anything. Especially how the producers insisted that it wasn't before the movie came out.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Lamprey Cannon posted:

What on Earth is unsexy about the name Duncan? It's a perfectly sexy name, attached to a perfectly sexy character.

Can you guess what my name is?

Duncan McLeod of the Clan McLeod?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

rydiafan posted:

Bleeding vile ichor, at least. I always kind of liked that part, conceptually - an elemental force of evil causing weird physiological effects just seems to fit.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really like the Fifth Element but I always wondered why Gary Oldman had a mini elephant just chilling in his drawer

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Strudel Man posted:

Bleeding vile ichor, at least. I always kind of liked that part, conceptually - an elemental force of evil causing weird physiological effects just seems to fit.

So the elemental force of evil causes people to bleed black goo, what does the elemental force of love cause? boners?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

So the elemental force of evil causes people to bleed black goo, what does the elemental force of love cause? boners?

It makes you bleed white goo, duh. Out of your boner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Slime posted:

It makes you bleed white goo, duh. Out of your boner.

Welp, someone better make a fan edit now.