Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14078494/missouri-tigers-football-players-strike-embattled-tim-wolfe-resigns

In other Mizzou being lovely news, apparently most of the football team is on strike until the president resigns

loving with football in the deep south? The alumni would probably overlook absolutely anything BUT that. Hopefully it's effective

Edit - whoops, skipped a page and didn't see this got covered already. Oh well I guess here it is again for a new page!

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Watched a little bit of trump on snl, it was incredibly cringey, but not because of trump, more because it's snl and it's the worst written hot shits I've ever seen. The opening skit was literally people sitting on couches not even telling jokes, just trying to say wacky things. It was embarrassing and I turned it off.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Trump is great, pushing this pic of Rubio stuck in some dumb meme.

"My campaign will consist primarily of freeze-framing my opponents and attaching it to whatever Twitter says."

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Fix posted:

Trump is great, pushing this pic of Rubio stuck in some dumb meme.

"My campaign will consist primarily of freeze-framing my opponents and attaching it to whatever Twitter says."

Trump is gonna be the first Internet troll to be elected president.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
I sort of love Donald Trump.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I've considered voting for Trump in a general just as a joke vote. I'm just scared too many others like me would do the same and suddenly the joke isn't funny anymore when Trump is getting sworn in.

Not the president we need, but the one this loving country deserves.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

I sort of love Donald Trump.

Seek help

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Lycus posted:

Trump is gonna be the first Internet troll to be elected president.

"Proceed, governor."

e: I mean I guess you're technically right. Trollbama was only re-elected.

Fix fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 8, 2015

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

pathetic little tramp posted:

Watched a little bit of trump on snl, it was incredibly cringey, but not because of trump, more because it's snl and it's the worst written hot shits I've ever seen. The opening skit was literally people sitting on couches not even telling jokes, just trying to say wacky things. It was embarrassing and I turned it off.

I'm kind of hoping the writers intentionally wrote lovely unfunny stuff to make him look bad. (Insert joke about how they must've been doing that for the last 10-15 years' worth of hosts)

limp_cheese posted:

I've considered voting for Trump in a general just as a joke vote. I'm just scared too many others like me would do the same and suddenly the joke isn't funny anymore when Trump is getting sworn in.

Every time you get that urge, look up something like this:

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...ner=rss&emc=rss

quote:

After a Hispanic man was beaten Wednesday by two Boston men, one of whom told the police that he was inspired by Donald J. Trump’s anti-immigrant message, Mr. Trump told reporters that his supporters were “passionate.”

Two brothers from South Boston were arrested and charged with beating the 58-year-old man, who is homeless, with a metal pole, breaking his nose and battering his chest and arms, The Boston Globe reported.

“Donald Trump was right, all these illegals need to be deported,” the police said one of the brothers, Scott Leader, 38, told them. His brother, Steve Leader, 30, was also charged in the beating, the police said. The Globe reported that the brothers have extensive criminal records.

Told of the attack, which also left the man soaked in urine, Mr. Trump said at a news conference late Wednesday that it was the first he had heard of it.

“It would be a shame,” Mr. Trump said, before adding: “I will say that people who are following me are very passionate. They love this country and they want this country to be great again. They are passionate.”

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Trump: tough on illegals, moderate on hate crimes

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I'm kind of hoping the writers intentionally wrote lovely unfunny stuff to make him look bad. (Insert joke about how they must've been doing that for the last 10-15 years' worth of hosts)

Every time you get that urge, look up something like this:

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...ner=rss&emc=rss

I like to think that "South Boston" is the part of the city that everyone credits for the lovely behavior of all Bostonites.

Random Masshole rapes a kid? "Naw, he's a Southie." When Brady retires, Gronk and Belichick will become Southies in short order.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

SedanChair posted:

Trump: tough on illegals, moderate on hate crimes

People giving up everything they own for a chance to live in America: freeloaders; a virus.

People beating the poo poo out of a homeless guy: aww shucks, they're just passionate, that's all!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

My extended family are a both bigoted AND Mizzou fans so Christmas will probably be obnoxious. I almost bit my tongue off listening to them talk about Ferguson last year.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 8, 2015

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

You mean the Midwest :colbert:

But yes, my extended family are a both bigoted AND Mizzou fans so Christmas will probably be obnoxious. I almost bit my tongue off listening to them talk about Ferguson last year.

:unsmith: :respek: :unsmith: I'm from a Mizzou family that lives in St. Louis.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
How do states with open primaries work? I am very young and don't know. Do you choose one party's primary to vote in, or can you vote in both?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

FourLeaf posted:

How do states with open primaries work? I am very young and don't know. Do you choose one party's primary to vote in, or can you vote in both?

You used to be able to choose for each race in many states (but only one for each race), but the parties got that blocked. Now you just choose one.

You may also hear a jungle primary called an open primary and in that case all candidates are on the same ballot, and then top two move to the general regardless of party.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

foobardog posted:

You used to be able to choose for each race in many states (but only one for each race), but the parties got that blocked. Now you just choose one.

You may also hear a jungle primary called an open primary and in that case all candidates are on the same ballot, and then top two move to the general regardless of party.

Ah. So in that case it seems like it would be better to try to spoil the Republican primary only in years where the Democratic candidate is an incumbent, and has no real competition, like 2012.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

FourLeaf posted:

Ah. So in that case it seems like it would be better to try to spoil the Republican primary only in years where the Democratic candidate is an incumbent, and has no real competition, like 2012.

I feel like you could vote for any republican candidate this year and it would be a spoil. They're all so unelectable and unlikeable.

PUGGERNAUT fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 8, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh38ARb97r8

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

...wait. Proverbs 22? Did Carson read the rest of that one? Or did he just stop at verse 4.

Proverbs 22 posted:

7 The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is the slave of the lender.

8 Whoever sows injustice will reap calamity, and the rod of anger will fail.

9 Those who are generous are blessed, for they share their bread with the poor.

16 Oppressing the poor in order to enrich oneself, and giving to the rich, will lead only to loss.

22 Do not rob the poor because they are poor, or crush the afflicted at the gate;

23 for the Lord pleads their cause and despoils of life those who despoil them.

Maybe those weren't in the poverbs version.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

limp_cheese posted:

This was basically the premise for south park a few weeks ago

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The new Bernie Sanders SNL thing, its not bad!

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/l...trending_test_d

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Epic High Five posted:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14078494/missouri-tigers-football-players-strike-embattled-tim-wolfe-resigns

In other Mizzou being lovely news, apparently most of the football team is on strike until the president resigns

loving with football in the deep south? The alumni would probably overlook absolutely anything BUT that. Hopefully it's effective

Edit - whoops, skipped a page and didn't see this got covered already. Oh well I guess here it is again for a new page!

So is Missouri the Deep South now because every rural area in the nation is now the South?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Someone mentioned a ways back that one of the Republican candidates had a particularly insane plan for healthcare reform. Stuff like $2k a year HSA as a cure all, use your family's bank account to pay your medical bills, etc. I was looking for more information on that and I can't really seem to find it. At least not all of it. Plenty of stuff is easy to find on Carson promoting the $2k/yr HSA but can't find any of the rest, there was a bunch of stuff and I was telling a family member about it and they just couldn't believe it.

I could but I didn't have any good articles handy and I wanted to give them a good one on it.*

Anyone have any good links I can pass along?

*actually I hope its all some terrible misunderstanding on my part and I'm getting the details wrong but I'll take watching someone else's face react to reading about this crap as a consolation prize

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Someone mentioned a ways back that one of the Republican candidates had a particularly insane plan for healthcare reform. Stuff like $2k a year HSA as a cure all, use your family's bank account to pay your medical bills, etc. I was looking for more information on that and I can't really seem to find it. At least not all of it. Plenty of stuff is easy to find on Carson promoting the $2k/yr HSA but can't find any of the rest, there was a bunch of stuff and I was telling a family member about it and they just couldn't believe it.

I could but I didn't have any good articles handy and I wanted to give them a good one on it.*

*actually I hope its all some terrible misunderstanding on my part and I'm getting the details wrong but I'll take watching someone else's face react to reading about this crap as a consolation prize

Well, you could point out that health expenditures in the United States are currently at about $9,000 per capita. To Ben Carson's credit, forcing that number down to $2,000 per capita would indeed reduce overall health expenditures in this country... but not really in a way that would be tolerable to most people. http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.XPD.PCAP

Beyond that, I haven't looked into Carson's plan because he's a book salesman / joke candidate that thinks pyramids are granaries.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

This WAS Carson's plan, it was from the first or second debate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/28/upshot/ben-carsons-health-care-plan-new-and-more-confusing.html?_r=0

quote:

How health savings accounts would be funded, and by how much: Before this weekend, Mr. Carson had long been saying that the federal government would give every American $2,000 every year from birth to death, money that could be spent only on health care, but could be shared among family members.

The article also ridicules it.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Thanks guys, will post their reaction later.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

computer parts posted:

So is Missouri the Deep South now because every rural area in the nation is now the South?

The Deep South is not a physical location, it's a philosophical one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

computer parts posted:

Missouri has much more cultural links with the south than it does in any other place

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
The South=whatever I want it to mean

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
regional cultures: not actually hardfast geography, crazy but true

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

computer parts posted:

Maybe not Deep South, but it's part of the South because it was a slave state and technically in the Confederacy (though occupied by Union forces for pretty much the entire war).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

computer parts posted:

if you rebelled against the united states so you could keep slavery, you are part of the south

edit: Deep South is a stretch though but not all that much of one given what's going on

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 8, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Seek help getting him elected

don't actually do this

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

evilweasel posted:

if you rebelled against the united states so you could keep slavery, you are part of the south

So, not Missouri then.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

The Phlegmatist posted:

...wait. Proverbs 22? Did Carson read the rest of that one? Or did he just stop at verse 4.

Maybe those weren't in the poverbs version.

It's specifically quoting Proverbs 22:4, which is "By humility and the fear of the Lord are riches, and honour, and life." -King James Version

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

computer parts posted:

So, not Missouri then.

One of the 13 stars on the confederate battle flag represents Missouri, so yes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

El Disco posted:

One of the 13 stars on the confederate battle flag represents Missouri, so yes.

The Confederates had a habit of claiming more territory than they actually controlled.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yeah, Missouri explicitly voted down secession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Missouri is absolutely a culturally southern state. Most midwesterners are more reserved and measured in their racism. White Missourians practically wear it on their sleeves.

• Locked thread