Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

PuntCuncher posted:

Everything about this blows my mind, but specifically the segment for Marketing Whitepapers has almost rolled my eyes from their sockets.

I absolutely do not understand who this is aimed at, given the smug bullshit approach it's dripping in. If this is how marketers sell to their own, nobody should be surprised they can't sell to anybody else either.

https://m.soundcloud.com/adobemarketingcloud

When I am king, marketers are second against the wall.

The trick is to sell your marketing tips to marketing people. Then you can buy someone elses marketing tips to sell again to another marketing person!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Isn't chewing tobacco also pretty much just as carcinogenic as smoking? How does that work?

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

Isn't chewing tobacco also pretty much just as carcinogenic as smoking? How does that work?
Different types of cancers, but yes. I think it's from the constant irritation on the sensitive portions of the mouth and gums, but I don't think it's due to the nicotine itself. From my understanding, nicotine in small doses isn't overly dangerous, it's the methods of ingestion. Inhaling burning plant material, constant gum and throat irritation etc..

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Maxwell Lord posted:

Tobacco is absolutely full of horrible, horrible chemicals that will make you die. What chemicals you absorb more of and where depends on how you're smoking but prolonged contact with some of the crap in tobacco over long periods of time dramatically increases your risk of certain cancers. Depending on how you use it is where it happens, which is why smokers get lung cancer, chewers/dippers get mouth cancer, and pipe smokers get face cancer. The more time *part of you* spends in contact with carcinogens the more likely it is to develop cancer. Tobacco is full of carcinogens, none of which are nicotine. Nicotine itself doesn't actually cause cancer but there is apparently evidence that it amplifies cancer.

Which is problematic if true because tobacco contains a gently caress load of things known to be carcinogenic. Tobacco use also causes all sorts god awful things.

It's also worth noting that nicotine is not only extremely addictive but also a stimulant. It also makes your body process caffeine faster which increases its effect. So of course it feels good. Humans really, really like stimulants.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Aren't those mostly just oils and poo poo with a little bit of nicotine in?

Most of them are from China so who knows what the gently caress they've got in them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Does Chew/dip advertise? I can't imagine it has a lot of positives to show off, its gross through and though, even if it makes you feel good.

Rotting teeth and gums, bad breath, and the ever present spitting, there's not much glamour of coolness in any of that. There are dudebros and other lowlifes that try to make it look like a tough manly activity online but they're pretty much jokes at this point.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

twistedmentat posted:

Does Chew/dip advertise? I can't imagine it has a lot of positives to show off, its gross through and though, even if it makes you feel good.

Rotting teeth and gums, bad breath, and the ever present spitting, there's not much glamour of coolness in any of that. There are dudebros and other lowlifes that try to make it look like a tough manly activity online but they're pretty much jokes at this point.
It is pretty heavily associated with baseball, and is also a Southern Thing, at least in a lot of rural areas.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

wayne curr posted:

It's just weird how it's the same drat drug, that has the same effects. But instead of chewing it as gum, everyone smokes it and has to deal with stinking everywhere up and ash/butts and stained fingers/teeth.
I guess inhaling the carbon monoxide burning tabacco gives off also produces a bit of an extra high?

The addictive properties and the rush of the high are both based on how fast you go from taking the thing to it effecting you. That's why the same drug can be more addictive when injected versus snorted or smoked. Same thing applies to cigarettes and patches.

Plus the whole Freudian smoking thing. Smoking gives you something active to do, wearing a patch is passive.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah you just get mouth cancer instead of lung cancer. Not much better.

But yeah in theory you'd think smoking would be worse than chewing, hard to compare exactly I guess.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
In the US, it's important to remember that tobacco companies got forced into a very strict advertising ban, and pretty much were limited to magazines and in store posters. It's advertising, but very limited as the Internet and TV hold much more sway.

I have some old magazines from the 2000s and they have dip ads on them. They are just bland aspirational pictures of country side with the brand name.

At this point they just coast on the tie between manly ruggedness and chewing tobacco. Yes, Cletus, you're just like the Duke in your '97 F-150, don't let that Muslim in the White House get you down.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
chew and dip mostly seem to advertise in men's magazines. Maxim, Playboy, car magazines, that sort of thing.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
As someone who lives in the Southern US I can assure you guys that chewing tobacco is huge around here, advertising tends to tie it to manly hunter bullshit but I think most people use it because you can't smoke indoors but you can chew.

Personally I don't understand why the biggest most popular nicotine delivery systems are also just absolutely laced with carcinogens, like why don't they just make a product with nicotine that *gasp* doesn't kill people? Like what possible added benefit is there to having a product that kills your consumers. Like is tobacco just too entrenched at this point to ever give ground and change their 'recipe'? I don't understand.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Sinking Ship posted:

As someone who lives in the Southern US I can assure you guys that chewing tobacco is huge around here, advertising tends to tie it to manly hunter bullshit but I think most people use it because you can't smoke indoors but you can chew.

Personally I don't understand why the biggest most popular nicotine delivery systems are also just absolutely laced with carcinogens, like why don't they just make a product with nicotine that *gasp* doesn't kill people? Like what possible added benefit is there to having a product that kills your consumers. Like is tobacco just too entrenched at this point to ever give ground and change their 'recipe'? I don't understand.

Well I think that's supposed to be what E-cigs are, as the issues with chewing show the act of smoking is part of what kills you, but also part of the ostensible appeal in "looking cool" or else patches and gum would be more popular.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Sinking Ship posted:

Most people aren't going to be able to explain why something is "cool" because it just ends up sounding dumb. Smoking will probably never not be cool to large swaths of people, precisely because it does kill you, and is super addictive.

Same reason people will never wear helmets skateboarding cuz it looks lame as hell, and weird philosophies like Die young and I'll never live past 30/40/50 anyways. The only reason nicotine alternatives exist at all is because people outlive the cool mentality of killing yourself and would rather quit with an aid.

darkhand has a new favorite as of 11:19 on Nov 8, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

twistedmentat posted:

One of the benefits that it has wrt marketing is that while it's illegal for cigarettes to be flavored because it's one of the ways that they marketed to kids, that restriction doesn't apply to dip.

What's great is that there was recently talk of banning flavored dip, and if you look it up on youtube almost all of the people complaining about it are kids.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Really the biggest thing was when cigarette advertising was banned. Banning tobacco is a poor idea in general for a lot of reasons but the adverts would often use cartoon characters from popular shows in the past (go look up Flintstones smoking adverts on the YouTubes some time, it's baffling how much they used to get away with).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdHSIquSHMw

Haha

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The best part about dip is how incredibly uncool you look walking around with an empty Dr Pepper bottle that you dribble your spit into.

I mean, at least cowboys had spittoons. Those were pretty cool.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Most (print) cigarette ads I see these days don't even show a cigarette at all in them, I forget if this was part of a law as well. Usually just shows 2-4 happy late 20-early 30-somethings enjoying each other's company, perhaps laughing for a selfie in the back of a limo, enjoying cocktails at a bar, or the cutest one I've seen, a couple carving a pumpkin and reaching in with their hands to pull out all the pumpkin mush while making "ew haha" faces :3:

The inside of the pumpkin represents how gross your lungs can be if you consume our product!!!!

Also they tend to have the most garish color schemes as well, super over-saturated. Idk if that's to make the scenes seem more appealing and fun or to try to hide the fact that there's no cigarette to be seen. It's great because with some of them it's not even like oh, one of them was holding a cigarette but it was shopped out, because there's no real "room" for a cigarette in the picture, like it wouldn't even make sense in the scene, as in the pumpkin one where everybody's hands are in the pumpkin.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

sweeperbravo posted:

It's great because with some of them it's not even like oh, one of them was holding a cigarette but it was shopped out, because there's no real "room" for a cigarette in the picture, like it wouldn't even make sense in the scene, as in the pumpkin one where everybody's hands are in the pumpkin.
I took a course in "speechwriting and advertising" or something in college--it was a linguistics class--and we studied cigarette ads. No cigarettes to be found, to be sure, but we were taught to look for the ubiquitous long thin white lines. They can be subtle, sometimes just a reflection, but they're there.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Sinking Ship posted:

I would guess that cigarette companies own huge quantities of tobacco fields. If all of a sudden they stop producing cigarettes made of tobacco (a key carcinogen in cigarettes/dip etc) then the value of their land and crops is greatly diminished. I'm not sure that's the primary reason, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a big part of it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mouth/throat cancer is way way way worse than lung cancer, or at least it's more gruesome. At least with lung cancer you can have an open casket funeral.

From what I understand, in the 1970s, the sugar lobby pulled the same kinds of shenanigans - sugar is good for you! eat tons of sugar! - as the tobacco companies had previously.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

He just short-conned that clerk. They were so busy talking about how great Winstons are that Fred walked out of there without paying for them. "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should" and they're FREE.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

But those specific cigarettes gave Fred lung cancer, so the clerk had the last laugh.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phlegmish posted:

But those specific cigarettes gave Fred lung cancer, so the clerk had the last laugh.

A wheezing, hacking laugh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Goosed it. posted:

I would guess that cigarette companies own huge quantities of tobacco fields. If all of a sudden they stop producing cigarettes made of tobacco (a key carcinogen in cigarettes/dip etc) then the value of their land and crops is greatly diminished. I'm not sure that's the primary reason, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a big part of it.

Well you still need nicotine for the e-cigs, I'm not sure if that can be easily synthesized or if its extracted from the plant. If its the latter they'd still have an industry.

E-cigs are just less cool though, and moving people to something less cool will sell less, while also admitting that cigarettes are dangerous (which everybody knows but yeah)

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I'm hugely in favour of e-cigs/vaping as opposed to smoking proper, and I don't think there's any chance at all that its chemical health hazards are even close to those of tobacco smoke, and I understand that the antifreeze comment is disingenuous.

Nicotine vaporizers have been a smoking cessation aid for some time now, prior to being recreational, though their success was mixed I guess. Like near-beer for alcoholics.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

That's it, really; people associate chewing/dipping with manliness. A cowboy with a big ol' chunk of gnaw in his mouth that just spits on the ground is all cool and tough because he does manly things like farming and being outside all day. He probably owns a huge truck and can cut down trees by punching them and poo poo.

The other side of it was already mentioned; some people quit smoking because there are severe restrictions on where you can smoke now but you can dip basically anywhere.

It's also easier to hide the fact that you're dipping. It got popular in the high school I went to because smoking was obviously verboten when it came to the school and, you know, being teenagers but a lot of kids smoked outside of school. Needless to say dipping became a way to have some tobacco while in school but then you ended up with kids swallowing the juices rather than spitting them somewhere, which is terrible for you. Given that they were a bunch of stupid teenagers there was a lot of "no gently caress you, dad! You don't tell me what to do!" going on.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

I took a course in "speechwriting and advertising" or something in college--it was a linguistics class--and we studied cigarette ads. No cigarettes to be found, to be sure, but we were taught to look for the ubiquitous long thin white lines. They can be subtle, sometimes just a reflection, but they're there.

I'm reminded of about a decade ago when Kool ran these magazine ads where like, one third of the page would be some sexy man or woman at a party or whatever, and the rest of the page would be filled up with sexy low lit smoke. Like, it was seriously filled top to bottom with subliminal shapes that were some of the worst hidden advertising I've ever seen. Outlines of genitals, smiling faces, the letters S E X, etc etc.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:
This reminds me that a few years back they tried selling beef jerky in little chewing tobacco containers that you were supposed to use like dip. I got a few samples and they weren't bad at all, but the whole idea was kind of terrible.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Blue Pyramid posted:

This reminds me that a few years back they tried selling beef jerky in little chewing tobacco containers that you were supposed to use like dip. I got a few samples and they weren't bad at all, but the whole idea was kind of terrible.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Those have been around for decades duder.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

The Blue Pyramid posted:

This stuff's been around since at least the early 90s and every gas station in Northern California seems to stock it. No idea who buys it given that it runs about the same price as an actual bag of jerky. Maybe it's a stop-dipping aid?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My mom is dying from COPD, my father died from smoking related causes (strokes), and my mother-in-law finally stopped after 40 years. My grandmother, who just passed, had the shittiest looking teeth imaginable from dipping snuff for 84 years.

With all this, my 10 year old loving loves candy cigarettes. I have no idea.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

bucketmouse posted:

This stuff's been around since at least the early 90s and every gas station in Northern California seems to stock it. No idea who buys it given that it runs about the same price as an actual bag of jerky. Maybe it's a stop-dipping aid?

I've tried it a few times, the shredded style of it really releases flavor a lot stronger in your mouth than the strip stuff. That said, jerky is crazy stupid expensive regardless of the format.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Krispy Kareem posted:

My mom is dying from COPD, my father died from smoking related causes (strokes), and my mother-in-law finally stopped after 40 years. My grandmother, who just passed, had the shittiest looking teeth imaginable from dipping snuff for 84 years.

With all this, my 10 year old loving loves candy cigarettes. I have no idea.

I remember candy cigarettes tasting pretty good, a lightly flavored chalk candy like the stick in lik-a-stick packages.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

foobardog posted:

In the US, it's important to remember that tobacco companies got forced into a very strict advertising ban, and pretty much were limited to magazines and in store posters. It's advertising, but very limited as the Internet and TV hold much more sway.

I have some old magazines from the 2000s and they have dip ads on them. They are just bland aspirational pictures of country side with the brand name.

At this point they just coast on the tie between manly ruggedness and chewing tobacco. Yes, Cletus, you're just like the Duke in your '97 F-150, don't let that Muslim in the White House get you down.

the ironic thing was that this actually increased their profits a bit - their ads were kind of a zero sum game, every cigarette company was advertising and what it amounted to was all the ads cancelling each other out and the situation was as if nobody was advertising in the first place... but if any one company stopped, the fact that the others were still advertising would gently caress them over

the ad ban meant that it forced all companies to stop advertising at the same time

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovAaAbIl91M

I just saw this on TV, and up until the last 5 seconds I was sure it was one of those domestic violence PSAs that the NFL is always having to make.

Still not sure what they're trying to sell me.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

There was a game shop that opened in England about 2 years ago called "Grainger Games". Let's just say their PR could have used a little work:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2011/10/how-an-unknown-games-retailer-committed-suicide-at-a-gaming-awards-event/

They still survived a a shop somehow. I bought a few games there myself :P
I like how the article focused half of it on the group of hecklers and assumed the hecklers were from the Games Retailer and blamed a bunch of the crap event on them??? :shrug:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Croccers posted:

I like how the article focused half of it on the group of hecklers and assumed the hecklers were from the Games Retailer and blamed a bunch of the crap event on them??? :shrug:

Well they were all sitting at one table together and left in the same taxis. Presumably the author just left out the part where someone asked the group where they were from.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wanamingo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovAaAbIl91M

I just saw this on TV, and up until the last 5 seconds I was sure it was one of those domestic violence PSAs that the NFL is always having to make.

Still not sure what they're trying to sell me.

Italian pressed sandwiches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

Italian pressed sandwiches

That's what I thought, but why would I want to collect those? It turns out it's trading cards.