Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I can't think that the time spent working on this is worth the cost of the device. You clearly weren't missing it before, call it a loss, recycle it, buy a new one when you need a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Back it up on a computer and use a backup manager to extract the info and put it in another backup.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

any sort of enterprise software platform used, like Airwatch?

Not sure, we do use Lotus Traveler for provisioning for email/calendar but not sure if there is anything more than that. I presume IT would have utilized an enterprise tool if it were available.

Pivo posted:

I can't think that the time spent working on this is worth the cost of the device. You clearly weren't missing it before, call it a loss, recycle it, buy a new one when you need a new one.

Getting to that point but wanted to vet all options. Always nice to have some extra devices on hand when the need arises with his long it can take to get one.

noirstronaut posted:

Back it up on a computer and use a backup manager to extract the info and put it in another backup.

It appears to be wiped, someone may have done that before my efforts to attempt to get it ready. It's when I get through the new set up process that I hit the activation lock. Not sure if a backup would have that data, if I could even do so.

Think it's a loss, which is a bummer. Thanks for the feedback.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If you can pull a receipt that shows the serial number I thought Apple can remove activation lock with a Genius Bar appointment (but they'd only do that with actual concrete proof of purchase).

Otherwise it's a writeoff, and this is a good opportunity to at least audit your other company owned devices for this sort of issue. Better yet, get an MDM.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

If you can pull a receipt that shows the serial number I thought Apple can remove activation lock with a Genius Bar appointment (but they'd only do that with actual concrete proof of purchase).

Otherwise it's a writeoff, and this is a good opportunity to at least audit your other company owned devices for this sort of issue. Better yet, get an MDM.

Thanks for the ideas, will talk to our fulfillment people.

MDM?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Mobile Device Management. Lets your IT totally control the device

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TraderStav posted:

It is a company owned device. But it seems as if the apple id was set up as his personal email.

Rock solid controls in our IT space.

If you have the original purchase receipt the Apple Store can bypass the activation lock.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Or save yourself the trip and call in, no need to actually bring the phone anywhere. If you have corporate purchase documentation just ring up AppleCare and they should be able to do it remotely.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Question Mark Mound posted:

For some reason a single one of my albums has each track listed twice, so if I want to listen through the album I need to skip every other song since each track will get played twice.

It's an album purchased from iTunes so I dunno what's up. I've tried deleting the files and redownloading but no luck, do I need to remove it from My Music altogether to fix it?

I had that problem because on my 16GB iPhone I made smaller MP3 versions of all the songs I had, and it saw that I had versions of them available in the iTunes store. It saved me about a gigabyte, which was really precious when you only have 12 to play with.

I would switch to "Show only offline music" or whatever, but the Music app would arbitrarily say "Hey, forget that setting, show it anyways! :downs:"
The workaround was force-closing the music app, that would usually make the "clouded" songs disappear, but I had to do that a couple of times a week.

On my spacious 64GB 6S+, I just have the larger 192kbps or whatever versions but once I'm over 128kbps or maybe 160kbps I really can't tell the difference. Phil Collins still sounds like Phil Collins. :kiddo:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 8, 2015

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Three-Phase posted:

I had that problem because on my 16GB iPhone I made smaller MP3 versions of all the songs I had, and it saw that I had versions of them available in the iTunes store. It saved me about a gigabyte, which was really precious when you only have 12 to play with.

I would switch to "Show only offline music" or whatever, but the Music app would arbitrarily say "Hey, forget that setting, show it anyways! :downs:"
The workaround was force-closing the music app, that would usually make the "clouded" songs disappear, but I had to do that a couple of times a week.

On my spacious 64GB 6S+, I just have the larger 192kbps or whatever versions but once I'm over 128kbps or maybe 160kbps I really can't tell the difference. Phil Collins still sounds like Phil Collins. :kiddo:
Cheers for the reply! Unfortunately, force closing hasn't been fixing anything.

I thought it was to do with me transferring my iTunes library to a new PC but no other albums seem to be affected, and no duplicates show in iTunes itself on my PC.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
So my wife and I each have an iPhone (Softbank Japan is the provider). Whenever someone texts us or calls us it shows up on both of the drat iPhones. Separate numbers of course. I don't necessarily want her reading all of my texts. Wtf?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You're both probably using the same Apple ID for Messages

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Yeah, that's what family sharing is for.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

petewhitley posted:

So my wife and I each have an iPhone (Softbank Japan is the provider). Whenever someone texts us or calls us it shows up on both of the drat iPhones. Separate numbers of course. I don't necessarily want her reading all of my texts. Wtf?

You can have separate iCloud accounts while still using the same Apple Account for store/purchases if you don't want to set up family sharing.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The upsides of family sharing means that if you are using the same iTunes account for purchases, why wouldn't you?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My wife wants to try Android for a spin on a spare device I have. I recall two years ago when I switched there was a big issue with iMessage hijacking your device number somehow and causing problems once you put your sim in the new device.

Has this issue been worked out? Are there any steps I can take to minimize disruption and have a seamless transition between the two OSs (and likely back again)?

Thanks in advance.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

noirstronaut posted:

You're both probably using the same Apple ID for Messages

Would this account for the shared phone calls though?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TraderStav posted:

My wife wants to try Android for a spin on a spare device I have. I recall two years ago when I switched there was a big issue with iMessage hijacking your device number somehow and causing problems once you put your sim in the new device.

Has this issue been worked out? Are there any steps I can take to minimize disruption and have a seamless transition between the two OSs (and likely back again)?

Thanks in advance.

Step 1: turn off iMessage on her phone before switching
Step 2: switch phones

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

benisntfunny posted:

Step 1: turn off iMessage on her phone before switching
Step 2: switch phones

Thanks! Cheers!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You can also deregister iMessage after the fact.
Not necessarily useful in your case, but can be useful if someone moves their SIM from an iPhone to a Sarnsung without realising their mistake.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage
Scroll down to "No longer have your iPhone?"

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

petewhitley posted:

I think it would; I can take calls on my iPad if my iPhone is around since they're both signed into the same Apple ID for messaging. The iPad doesn't show voicemails but I do get the notifications for missed calls.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
OK, I think the battery life on the 6S+ is better than I first thought it was.

Also, I looked at my older 5S today, after using the Plus, it feels comically small/undersized.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Three-Phase posted:

OK, I think the battery life on the 6S+ is better than I first thought it was.

Also, I looked at my older 5S today, after using the Plus, it feels comically small/undersized.

6S+ battery life is freaking awesome. I absolutely love the screen and how big everything is. My only complaint is putting it in my pockets when I'm not wearing my scrubs or something else that has hilariously over sized pockets like JNCOs.

For those of you who think the phone is too big to hold one handed properly, there are some accessories to make one handed holding more bearable. Something with a low profile like this.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

GobiasIndustries posted:

I think it would; I can take calls on my iPad if my iPhone is around since they're both signed into the same Apple ID for messaging. The iPad doesn't show voicemails but I do get the notifications for missed calls.

Many thanks, I'll turn on Home Sharing.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

TinTower posted:

The upsides of family sharing means that if you are using the same iTunes account for purchases, why wouldn't you?

IAP. IAP doesn't go across Family Sharing. Which annoys the gently caress out of me. I buy a game that has an unlock thing (or IAP to remove ads), my wife wants to use it? LOL BUY IT AGAIN. This isn't a big enough deal for us to move back to using the same apple ID, but it still irks me.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

petewhitley posted:

That's the FaceTime login doing that.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

ddogflex posted:

IAP. IAP doesn't go across Family Sharing. Which annoys the gently caress out of me. I buy a game that has an unlock thing (or IAP to remove ads), my wife wants to use it? LOL BUY IT AGAIN. This isn't a big enough deal for us to move back to using the same apple ID, but it still irks me.

The dirty secret about IAP is that once it’s unlocked, it stays unlocked. Ergo, what you should do is download the app onto her device using either your account or family sharing, log into your account and restore the IAP, then log her back into her account. The IAP will stay unlocked.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Can't you use separate IDs for the store and for iMessage?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

bobfather posted:

The dirty secret about IAP is that once it’s unlocked, it stays unlocked. Ergo, what you should do is download the app onto her device using either your account or family sharing, log into your account and restore the IAP, then log her back into her account. The IAP will stay unlocked.

That's exactly what you can't do unless you're signed in with the same apple ID. With family sharing the IAP doesn't transfer. That was the whole point in my post...

You would have to initially download the app with my ID signed in, then dl the IAP, then sign out of mine and back in with hers and LOL NOT WORTH IT.

Kazy posted:

Can't you use separate IDs for the store and for iMessage?

Yup, that's what I did for years until family sharing was a thing.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ddogflex posted:

That's exactly what you can't do unless you're signed in with the same apple ID. With family sharing the IAP doesn't transfer. That was the whole point in my post...

You would have to initially download the app with my ID signed in, then dl the IAP, then sign out of mine and back in with hers and LOL NOT WORTH IT.

Yup, that's what I did for years until family sharing was a thing.

It is less than five minutes work. How often do you buy IAP that that is an inconvenience too great?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

ddogflex posted:

Amazing.

Step 1: log out your wife (5-s)
Step 2: sign in, download app, restore iap (1-min)
Step 3: sign out, log your wife back in (10-s)

You can even download and restore iap for multiple apps during step 2 to save even more time.

Did you get dropped on your head or something?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ddogflex posted:

This process takes about as long to type out as it does to perform.

This is the silliest non-issue in an iPhone thread in a while, which is saying something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He's not wrong that it's dumb that family sharing doesn't include permanent IAP

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
You guys are mad about nothing. I wasn't even complaining. I was responding to someone else. Beyond that, it is dumb, you loving apologists.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
gently caress Apple

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Endless Mike posted:

He's not wrong that it's dumb that family sharing doesn't include permanent IAP
Be kind of tough for Apple to categorize all the IAP available into "permanent" and "consumable" categories, wouldn't it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Be kind of tough for Apple to categorize all the IAP available into "permanent" and "consumable" categories, wouldn't it?
Maybe, but they already have since you can always recover permanent IAP after a restore (provided it was purchased on your account, apparently), while you can't recover consumable.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I thought that was sarcasm

https://developer.apple.com/library...seProducts.html

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's hard to tell online :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

To avoid the headaches of IAP and account sharing just never make IAPs.